C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by daiso'
to me when i drove my civic with - camber i could hardly tell the difference(cornered alot better w/ less body roll) but my buddy told me driving a car w/ -camber is dangerous and i shouldnt do it .... is he right or just being a p***y???
quote about camber from the wiki

negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it places the tire at a more optimal angle to the road, transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire, rather than through a shear force across it. Another reason for negative camber is that a rubber tire tends to roll on itself while cornering. If the tire had zero camber, the inside edge of the contact patch would begin to lift off of the ground, thereby reducing the area of the contact patch. By applying negative camber, this effect is reduced, thereby maximizing the contact patch area. Note that this is only true for the outside tire during the turn; the inside tire would benefit most from positive camber.

On the other hand, for maximum straight-line acceleration, the greatest traction will be attained when the camber angle is zero and the tread is flat on the road.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM

2001 C320
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
its better to give coil overs then springs. Keep in mind the weight of the car isn't distributed perfectly, given its a sedan and it costs money to design a car with perfect weight distribution.

The driver side is going to have more weight then the passenager so the driver side is going to be lower then the passenager side. With coilovers, you can compensate for the difference in heights and have the same drop all around.

1'-1.5'' isn't really a big enough drop to throw off the alignment specs much. You will have more negative camber, but shouldn't eat your tires much faster then oem specs long as you get a alignment.

Its always recommended to get alignment any time you touch your suspension. Alignments are cheaper then new tires.
While we're on the subject, I've been wanting to ask this for a little while now. What makes coil overs "better" than stock set up/lower springs? Is it simply the ability to adjust height? Besides lowering the car, what makes them superior to other means of lowering the car? Do they handle the car better? I'm trying to justify the cost of Coil Overs to that of just another set of springs.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
While we're on the subject, I've been wanting to ask this for a little while now. What makes coil overs "better" than stock set up/lower springs? Is it simply the ability to adjust height? Besides lowering the car, what makes them superior to other means of lowering the car? Do they handle the car better? I'm trying to justify the cost of Coil Overs to that of just another set of springs.
Im no expert, but from my understanding: Swapping out just the springs will cause faster wear on the stock dampers because the stock dampers were not built w/ the aftermarket springs and rates in mind. Coil overs come with springs and rates matched to their dampers. Additionally, you can go much lower w/ coil overs without cutting springs and thus not messing w/ the spring's design.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK IV .:R32
We only have pads in the rears, none in the fronts. It would be nice tho if we could change our pads fronts and rears just like W210
ahhh......I didn't know that

So I guess put a fatter pad if the front is too high?....to like even it out??
Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by shivi1345
ahhh......I didn't know that

So I guess put a fatter pad if the front is too high?....to like even it out??
Yes, some guys did that to balance the height front and rear..
Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2004 C230K
Originally Posted by nibo83
It'd lower your car more if you go with thinner pads. If not mistaken, it lowers about 2 fingers from pad 4 to pad 1. I actually measured that..

I'd stick with stock pads if you run H&R springs since you'd have bigger gap in the fronts compared to the rears with these springs

You could cut the fronts if you want to go lower and change the rear pads to thinner pads

Not sure what pads do you have in your SS suspension. It was pad no 4 in my 2002 non-sport C200

oic i guess ima go get a rear spring pad #1 and as for the front im cutting half a coil up front
Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You'll love the look of your car after you install your springs
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 sport, k7 gsxr
it seems h&r springs w/ koni seem more expensive than tein basic or just about the same price.... for sure with h&r n koni my car will handle better but im just gonna lower it for straight show!!! aint gonna race my 191hp so i think i leaning towards the tein for the simple fact of winter hits Canada like a bi*ch.... i would personally sould not put aftermarket lowering springs w/ stock shocks( from past experiences).....
Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it seems h&r springs w/ koni seem more expensive than tein basic or just about the same price.... for sure with h&r n koni my car will handle better but im just gonna lower it for straight show!!! aint gonna race my 191hp so i think i leaning towards the tein for the simple fact of winter hits Canada like a bi*ch.... i would personally sould not put aftermarket lowering springs w/ stock shocks( from past experiences).....
I think H&R springs and KONI setup is more expensive than Tein Basic. Go with SuperStreet Tein, so you can adjust the dampening.

I do know one thing, you can't raise the front that much in winter time. The rears you could, not the front. You have 17s for winter, so it should help

I have 16s for winter and it was still too low even after I raised my fronts all the way

I think your SS shocks would be strong enough for aftermarket springs. Non-sport shocks would be a different story. I had Eibach and 19s with my stock non-sport shocks and it was just plain limo bouncy

Someone is selling SS Tein COs in classified! Do it now
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 PM

2004 C230K
Originally Posted by nibo83
You'll love the look of your car after you install your springs
hopefully im also thinking about changing my whole body style thinking about either a AMG all round or a Reiger front end with AMG back & side skirts....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PA_Pete
i would suggest getting coilovers with damper adjustment. Coil overs allow for height adjustment depending on if its for daily driving or track. usually lower springs or coil overs still have stiffer spring rates then stock to compensate for the lower ride height.

You want the damper adjustment, so you change the shocks to soft for comfort and stiff for sport. Shocks can compensate for the the stiffer spring rates to a degree.

usually with just lower springs, the stock shocks are not designed to ride with the lower ride height and stiffness. Hence the oem shocks tend to wear out faster with lower springs.

if your car has a lot a mileage and you need to replace the shocks anyways. make sense to buy coilovers so you can replace the whole thing while the car is apart.

Lowering your car helps with looks, but also helps with the handling. The lower center of gravity will allow you to corner faster and put less stress on your tires when your cornering at high speeds.

There's more, but thats the basics.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:52 AM

04 Mercedes Benz C230K
I have the H&R coilovers and can be dropped upto 2.5. And has dampner adjustment as well. And I really like it. I almost purchased the KW2 but it had more bounce to it. KW2- $1600 vs. H&R's $1175.00
The only way to allign rears for camber is by installing a camber kit.
Peter

Last edited by Glocker; 10-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM

2005 c230 sport, k7 gsxr
wow i'm learning a lot here...
now i know i want tein ss or h&r coilovers.... more expensive but it would seem its the best of both worlds.... height adjustable, and damper( so i can set it to soft and it will feel like oem, but lower?)...
nibo i really really want to buy right now but i gotta save some cash cuz i would rather buy brand new cuz with used you really dont know how many miles are one them even if they claim only a few.... unless i see some used bilstein cuz i think they have life time warranty on shocks....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow i'm learning a lot here...
now i know i want tein ss or h&r coilovers.... more expensive but it would seem its the best of both worlds.... height adjustable, and damper( so i can set it to soft and it will feel like oem, but lower?)...
nibo i really really want to buy right now but i gotta save some cash cuz i would rather buy brand new cuz with used you really dont know how many miles are one them even if they claim only a few.... unless i see some used bilstein cuz i think they have life time warranty on shocks....
yeah once you really start getting into suspension. You learn about different setups. You can also change your car bias from understeer to oversteer or just little less understeer.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Wagon Suspension

Since I did not see many lowered wagon suspension set-ups in my search -- (Short of Steve from Netherlands/MBenzNL-who's wagon is my inspiration ) Here's my wagon's suspension set-up:

2004 C240 Wagon
H&R Coilover - Street Performance Part # 29367.2 Specific to wagons 02-04 model years
Set to about 3 turns from lowest setting
Wheels=TSW Croft 18x18 32 et Front 18X9.5 35et Rear
Tires = Falken Ziex 512 225/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear
Comments: ~ 1/4" clearance between back of tire and coilover perch on front. Rears clear with 255 tires. As many have said on here- good luck with 265's.
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-benz-020.jpg   W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread-benz-019.jpg  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 PM

2005 c230 sport, k7 gsxr
im going with coils.... end of conversation ....
Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM

2002 C320
Bilstein HD or Sport? Or Koni?

After searching and reading a few opinions on Koni versus Bilstein, I wanted to directly ask:

Is the Bilstein Heavy Duty or Sport the way to go?

Then, How does the answer to the above compare versus the Koni Sport?

Based on previous posts I lean toward Bilstein, but I'm not sure if HD or Sport is the way to go because most of the threads do not distinguish.

Thanks,
JLD
Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
Not sure about the Bulstein- but the Koni's are adjustable and rebuildable if that matters at all to you.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
Not sure about the Bulstein- but the Koni's are adjustable and rebuildable if that matters at all to you.
I'm not in the mood to be rebuilding or adjusting them once they're on the car. From Bilstein's website:

SPORT (S)
For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface. Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway bars or other suspension upgrades.

HEAVY DUTY (HD)
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

So the SPORT makes no mention of 'without sacrificing ride comfort' but the HD seems more suited to larger vehicles. I never go off the road or haul anything. SPORT might make more sense, but I worry that the ride comfort may suffer. Anyone with experience with both?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have Bilstein sport shocks with cut Eibach springs in my other W203 and the ride it's not harsh at all, but a tad bouncy since I cut the springs. It's definitely a better ride compared my COs.

I'm getting H&R springs to lose the bouncy feeling tho..
Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
i doubt there will be too much of a difference in the ride of the two- especially if you aren't going to lower it. me- i hate a buttery smooth ride, i like the feel of a sports car, so i would go with the 'sport' set. do you do much corner carving or anything of the sort? if not and you aren't going to lower it- may as well get the 'HD' set.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
get the Bilstein sport or Koni. They're designed to match the shorter springs with shorter shocks. the HD will just be like your stock shocks where when you put lowering springs the shocks operate in a already compressed state and can easily bottom out.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by FrankW
get the Bilstein sport or Koni. They're designed to match the shorter springs with shorter shocks. the HD will just be like your stock shocks where when you put lowering springs the shocks operate in a already compressed state and can easily bottom out.
Thanks, Frank. That's the info I was looking for. I have Eibach springs sitting in the garage, so I'll put those on at the same time. I wonder if Tire Rack would take them back in exchange for the H&R as they seem to be the board favorite.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 PM

08 E63
C230K Stock Springs for Eibach Pro Kit Exchange

Hi everyone,

Havent been on this forum in a long time, good to be here again. I would like to raise my 02 C240 back up again a bit and would like to locate some late model C230K Springs to do so (the C240 Stocks are too high).

I have Eibach Pro Kits on my car right now and am willing to do a straight swap or pay you for your stocks. I am in the Bay Area so I can pickup or ship UPS Ground to the Lower 48 at no charge.

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
I'm in the Bay Area too and I might be interested, but unfortunately, I think coupe springs are different from sedan springs; somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

EDIT: looks like a preliminary search shows that coupe and sedan springs are interchangeable, though Eibach lists two differing springs for C240 sedans and C230 coupes...

Where approximately in the Bay Area are you?

Last edited by jedcred; 10-17-2008 at 08:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Suspension (Shocks/Springs/Sway Bars) Discussion/Upgrade Thread