C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2001 C320 Taillights problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 Taillights problem

Just today i recieved a reading on the cluster "Tail lights, R substitute lamp on! Check Lamp. 2 fault" and also as soon as you turn the ignition on the tail lights and license plate lights stay on (even during the day) even if there are no front or other lights on.

Does anybody have an idea of what the problem is?

Thanks, Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 02:12 AM

did you check to see if the bulb burnt out?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:36 AM

Yes, I did.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Page 343...

Substitute lamp on means that you have a faulty bulb, and one of the RR bulbs is substituting for it. Check all the bulbs RR.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
The bulb is just about to burn out if it has not yet. Your rear log light will come on and work until you have replaced the bulb in question. Doesn't that sound really cool? A car that tells you something is going before it goes. haha
Old 04-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Nicedeboy,

The system cannot tell you if a bulb is about fail. It only tells that the bulb has failed. Sometimes the filament detaches from one side of the connection and thus the bulb fails. Occasionally, if you tap the bulb, the filament will touch the electrical connection inside the bulb and stick/weld temporarily while the current is flowing, but it has failed.

The vehicle will substitute another light (most models use the rear fog light) for the failed light. There is also a bulb on the passenger’s side, similar to the rear fog light (that’s only on the driver’s side) that’s sole purpose is for substitute lighting.

Like MB-BOB said, check your owners manual for more info and replace the bulb with the CORRECT WATTAGE, otherwise the warning may no go away.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Rear lights....

I had similar problems with my '01. I would get the "substitute light on" warning but the sub bulb was not lit. Brake lamp failures as well but the lights were working. The error messages would come and go with nothing being done. Sometimes replacing the working bulb with a different bulb made the error go away. Lamp sockets always looked clean but I would wipe them with fine steel wool anyway. The dealer finally replaced both rear lamp carriers and the errors and failures stopped.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
My car would inform me just before the light went out. I went to the back of the car, and the light was still working but the car informed me it wasn't. I replaced my lights many times since 2000 and came acrossed it already. I am not talking out of my BUTT, I'm telling it from my experience. So if you think you know everything, YOU DON'T LOSER
Old 04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by nicedeboy
My car would inform me just before the light went out. I went to the back of the car, and the light was still working but the car informed me it wasn't. I replaced my lights many times since 2000 and came acrossed it already. I am not talking out of my BUTT, I'm telling it from my experience. So if you think you know everything, YOU DON'T LOSER
since 2000 eh? I thought you said you bought a $24k 05 C55...
Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
^ LOL Frank

I guess his Mazda is more advanced than we thought.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Hey nicedeboy -

Like I told you in other forums;

1) "Looking at your other posts, please do us all a favor and take your Ridalin and stay away from the keyboard. It sure doesn't seem like your adding any value to the site."

2) "P.S. No need to type in bold our computer screens' work just fine thank you."

They both still apply......

I'll even add another one for you;

3) It's obvious to others as well, you need to keep better track of your own B.S. – your slipp’n man, it’s starting to show.

Oh, and to case and point, with substitute lighting, your lights “LOOK” like they are still working, BECAUSE THE SYSTEM HAS SUBSTITUED THE BURNED OUT LIGHT WITH A GOOD LIGHT. Would you like me to explain why the word ‘Substitute” is in the title of the system….

Pychynski –

Just a thought, if the rear lights are always on, this is usually an indication the rear SAM has lost network communication with the vehicle, you may need to visit the dealer. The rear SAM module controls the rear lighting among other things. - Good Luck..

FrankW -

Nice catch!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 PM

Tail lights on

I change all the bulbs and lights are on. And message is on: Tail Lights,R
Substitute lamp on! Check Lamp
Thanks Chris
Old 04-10-2005, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
I had a similar problem.. My tail lights would be on when my car was turned on. I never had any computer messages about it though.. it ended up being a faulty rear SAM. that module is about a $700-800 repair job... Yes my car was out of warranty and I had to pay for it..
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 PM

07' ML350
i had the same problem, taillamps always On, its a defective REAR SAM. Replace it asap, coz once ur rear sam completely fails, u will loose most electrical functions like turn signals, keyless entry, wiper, stoplights, etc.... though, u can still drive the car.

i got mine replaced for about $500+ for parts, and $200+labor
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 AM

C320
Just Joined - Now I Don't Know

I have the "substitute light on" problem too. I thought I could find some answers here but I find juvenile rants, disappointing. (Yes, I know how to change bulbs with the correct replacement part and basic trouble shooting by switching bulbs)

There is a problem with the system. We had numerous exterior light problems after buying the car. The dealer finally replaced several components under warranty. It was reported by the dealer that the car's ground was faulty.

Now the car is out of warranty and I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars to have a tail light replaced at the dealer.

Does anyone have some actual advice to help?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM

2003 c200 k
Tail lights and the rear right indicator lights not working

I ve got some how a similar problem . The problem is not from the lamps that I'm very sure but mine is:
1. The right rear indicator light and both tail lights do not work but I don't get warning about it on the cluster
2. Rear fog light works only on the left
Can any one pls give me some idea, thx
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by Job1
I ve got some how a similar problem . The problem is not from the lamps that I'm very sure but mine is:
1. The right rear indicator light and both tail lights do not work but I don't get warning about it on the cluster
2. Rear fog light works only on the left
Can any one pls give me some idea, thx
Fog light is working correctly FYI. good luck with other issue sounds like sam again