C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Assistance / Advice Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200K | 02 CLK320 | 11 C250 Coupe (current)
Assistance / Advice Please

I have been hearing some ticking noises from the centre console, not the instrument cluster, but from what sounds like behind the stereo head unit and Aircon Control unit. Im 70% certain that its got something to do with the aircon system but i dont think its the fan cos the ticking sound doesnt change speed when i increase the fan power???

Spoke to service guy, he said it "MIGHT" have something to do with when you change vent direction (ie: windshield/face/feet/etc) and that it "COULD BE" the gears stripping. If it is this he said it will cost me around $1000AUD+ to fix!!!!!!

SO...has anyone else had this problem?, and have they had it fixed? or is there a simple fix i can do? Service guy also said that it isnt imperative that i fix this as its not a terminal problem.

any help would be great, thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 PM

Did i mention any help would be appreciated...

I thought someone would have some idea about this. I just hope that im not the only person that this has happened to??? I want to fix this problem, but i want to know what it is before anything gets done. Any ideas???
Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
JDM

2011 C300
I get get a really faint ticking from the blend door actuators that can only be heard with no fan on, or first setting. tic's in short brief pulses, like the blend door is constantly being adjusted to maintain auto setting. but it occurs when the system is off, and doesnt sound agressive like plastic stripping..
Old 04-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your suggestion JDM, but i dont think mines the same problem.

Damn its anoying, i just wanna fix the thing!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
JDM

2011 C300
no problem, I enjoy an opportunity to post. Hope it works out to be something less serious than so far anticipated.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this a soft tick or a loud tick? Which climate control system do you have? Early 203 sedans are known to have broken flap actuator arms where the motor shaft just spins inside the actuator. Usually, it's the one that controls the footwell flap. Replacing it isn't easy as it's set in a position that's difficult to reach. New actuator arms are reinforced.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C180K
I had this similar ticking sound in my SLK. It happened when the thermostat was set to "warm". The warmer it was, the louder the tick. Is yours the same? What is the frequency of the ticking? Mine was like 1 tick per 2 seconds.

Anyway, the workshop could not find the cause of the ticking. Maybe you will have better luck.

I got around this by setting the thermostat to just before it starts ticking, since I prefer a warmer setting.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by Petmerctech
Is this a soft tick or a loud tick? Which climate control system do you have? Early 203 sedans are known to have broken flap actuator arms where the motor shaft just spins inside the actuator. Usually, it's the one that controls the footwell flap. Replacing it isn't easy as it's set in a position that's difficult to reach. New actuator arms are reinforced.
I had this problem on my '01 model. The dealer said they replaced the "stepper motor" due to some stripped gears...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:34 AM

Reply to Petmerctech: This is a loud Tick? I have a 2001 C200K (W203) and it has Digital Climate. What you said sounds like what the service guy was saying.

Reply to dgwee: Mine doesnt change frequency its always about 1 sec., and it doesnt matter if its set to hot or cold.

Whats weird is that sometimes it happens when the air isnt even turned on.

and it isnt consistent, sometimes it does it on start-up, sometimes not, sometimes when the air is on and i turn it off then it happpens.

Its driving me crazy.

Thanx for the replys, i want it gone!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did the tech search for codes in AAC through the SDS? If it's an actuator arm that is broken, there would be a code.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:58 AM

Just Recaping + Updating

To all who helped me try and work this one out...BIG THANX!

I GOT IT FIXED!

The problem was the stepper motor, and yes it was stripping the gears. My car is out of waranty, but because im JUST passed it and that it apparently is a common problem with this model, i was only charged for 50% of parts and no charge on labour.

The report read like this:

*ATT TO NOISE IN DASH-STEPPER MOTORS CUSTOMER TO PAY 50% PARTS ONLY. 50% PARTS AND 100% LABOUR COVOERED BY WARRANTY.
*REMOVED DASH ASSY AND FOUND CENTRE AND LH VENT BOXES DISTORTED CAUSING STEPPER MOTOR NOISE. REMOVED AND REPLACED BOXES AND STEPPER MOTOR AND ARMS, REASSEMBLED VEHICLE TESTED OK (HAD TO REMOVE A/C GAS FOR EVAPORATOR AND HEATER BOX.)

So thats it, i hope that this may help anyone with the same problem. Oh and just to let you all know, it took 5 days to completed the job. And they literally take your intire dash and center console apart completely.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:03 AM

2005 C320 4Matic
is the stepper motor related to the purge valve? what does it do?

thanks.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 Kompressor sedan
Glad you got it fixed. I also have a ticking problem but this sounds like its coming from my steering wheel!? Anyone have a ticking sound ever come from that area? You can really hear it on bumpy roads.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by raunen
is the stepper motor related to the purge valve? what does it do?

thanks.

Sorry Raunen, im not sure if its related to the purge, but i think that the stepper motor has something to do with changing the direction of where you want your heating/cooling aimed...ie: footwell/windscreen/face etc etc.

Someone correct me if i am wrong!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM

2007 R350
Question Got the same problem I think ...

I think I might have the same problem as the original poster described, but as I am not sure about it, I have actually a few follow-up questions for whoever knows anything about it.

I just had a EuroComand installed by Sunman (great Job Sunil and very fast - thanks a lot ) and the next day I heard for the first time a load clicking/clacking noise. At the same time the air would cycle through the foot/middle console and windshield vents. It stops after 7 or 8 "clacks" and then it stays like that in a random position until I start my car again. Right now in the middle of winter here in Michigan I was several times driving with iceblocks instead of feet but toasty warm in the head area ...

So, I would like to know if this sounds like the stepper motor or arm actuator problem? If anybody knows - please lets hear about it.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by susemu
I think I might have the same problem as the original poster described, but as I am not sure about it, I have actually a few follow-up questions for whoever knows anything about it.

I just had a EuroComand installed by Sunman (great Job Sunil and very fast - thanks a lot ) and the next day I heard for the first time a load clicking/clacking noise. At the same time the air would cycle through the foot/middle console and windshield vents. It stops after 7 or 8 "clacks" and then it stays like that in a random position until I start my car again. Right now in the middle of winter here in Michigan I was several times driving with iceblocks instead of feet but toasty warm in the head area ...

So, I would like to know if this sounds like the stepper motor or arm actuator problem? If anybody knows - please lets hear about it.
I had this same problem on my car about 8 or 9 months ago. It had to do with a motor that controls the vent (I think it was the stepper motor). If I get some time tonight, I'll look up the paperwork and tell you what they did to fix it.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM

2007 R350
Question

revstriker - had you by any chance time to look up the info?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:32 AM

w203/C180 (2001)
Originally Posted by DC BENZO
To all who helped me try and work this one out...BIG THANX!

I GOT IT FIXED!

The problem was the stepper motor, and yes it was stripping the gears. My car is out of waranty, but because im JUST passed it and that it apparently is a common problem with this model, i was only charged for 50% of parts and no charge on labour.

The report read like this:

*ATT TO NOISE IN DASH-STEPPER MOTORS CUSTOMER TO PAY 50% PARTS ONLY. 50% PARTS AND 100% LABOUR COVOERED BY WARRANTY.
*REMOVED DASH ASSY AND FOUND CENTRE AND LH VENT BOXES DISTORTED CAUSING STEPPER MOTOR NOISE. REMOVED AND REPLACED BOXES AND STEPPER MOTOR AND ARMS, REASSEMBLED VEHICLE TESTED OK (HAD TO REMOVE A/C GAS FOR EVAPORATOR AND HEATER BOX.)

So thats it, i hope that this may help anyone with the same problem. Oh and just to let you all know, it took 5 days to completed the job. And they literally take your intire dash and center console apart completely.
Thanks for explaining this - I have had the same problem for a few weeks now - it goes away after a few minutes but I know I'm going to have it fixed eventually.