C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Very Annoying Noise from Driver Seatbelt!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
Very Annoying Noise from Driver Seatbelt!

I have a '05 C230 SS. I've been experiencing a very very annoying light popping noise from my left ear. It seems to be coming form the seat belt mechanism. Everytime I barely strain on the seat belt (accelerate, decelarte, turns), it makes that popping noise.

I already did a search and a previous post as well as the "Rattles, Ticking, knocking, rattling DIY FIX" post, it indicated that it might be the rear window molding. It is definitely not coming from the rear window. Although it is a very faint noise, I don't listen to loud music, so it's extremely annoying and loud to me.

I looked at the seat belt mechanism and it doesn't look loose.

Anyone else have this problem?

I know when I bring it up with the dealer they'll just say sorry everything is fine.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 AM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
I think I have the same faint noise. I think it is coming from the seatbelt adjustment, the thing that lets it lower up and down. If you take your hand and lightly tap that piece you can replicate the noise. Not sure how to make it stop.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
I think I have the same faint noise. I think it is coming from the seatbelt adjustment, the thing that lets it lower up and down. If you take your hand and lightly tap that piece you can replicate the noise. Not sure how to make it stop.

I'm really okay with the plastic piece rattling, but it's a different noise then that. It's more like a faint popping noise, and it's driving me nuts!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
It might be the seat. My dad had a similar noise to what I think you are speaking of in his old E. It was the seat braket, it was loose or something.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:02 PM

05 C230K SS
you are not alone, i also have that clicking noise from the seatbelt. i addressed the problem to the dealer, and they did absolutely nothing. i tried taping a soft foam behind the seat belt adjustment(don't know how to explain it) , but it still makes that noise though not as much. this is not the only noise that i have. somewhere in the dash also rattles, sigh....i am a little disappointed with the fit and finish of the vehicle.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:56 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
I am getting popping noises from all over my cabin, especially in the afternoons after work. It seems like there are certain points in the cabin that are adjusting to the change in temperature as the air conditioning cools down the interior. It is the same points every day. I live in Florida, so it is really hot now in the afternoons. I, too, am disappointed. I would expect something like this in all of the convertibles I owned before, but not in my first (and last) Mercedes sedan.

GGM
Old 05-27-2005, 09:16 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
I suggest you ask someone else to drive while you try to find out where it's coming from, you'd be surprised to know how much sound travels in the cabin. I spent a lot of time fixing all the rattles in my car, and I'm glad I did..
Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
I had this rattle noise on both of my seatbelt mechanism. Dealer fixed both of them by installing some felt inside. Hope the the noise doesn't come back in the future.

Last edited by NO_WUR_E; 12-22-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 PM

'05 C230WZ / '01 Honda VFR 800
Yup I have it too. I know the noise that you are talking about, it is so faint that 98% of people wouldn't hear it or would say "I can't believe that you let it bother you". I am in Maryland and I only get it on hot days.
I get it when I pull on the belt very, very slightly (like you would under any normal acceleration or shifting). This isn't a fix, but see if you can get the noise from pulling on the belt about a millimeter when you are strapped in.

Please let us know what the official problem is if you can get the dealer to fix it. It is going to be cold here for the next four months so I can't do anything about mine yet.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 AM

I finally was able to record it on my Treo 650 (video)...and showed it to my service advisor and a tech. He then ordered a whole new seatbelt assembly and installed it. Since then, I've never heard it again. It sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. The best description of the sound would be like 2 marbles hitting each other lightly.

Bottom line, it's good to be close with your service advisor. He got the tech to change the whole assembly for me which eliminated the problem. I'm very happy that it's gone! Hope this helps others.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:23 AM

C 230K Coupé
I noticed that almost all of you having that problem have an '05. I have an '02 and i haven't got a single rattle or noise for 3 years! It's kinda depressing to see MB quality going down. First it's the armrests peeling and now annoying noises, definitelly a bummer . I would just ***** at the dealer until they fix it.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
I had that problem too. Apparently the head tech was aware of this problem b/c it happened on his C-Class too, so he had them replace both of the door pillar things (on the seatbelt) for good measure and it's been fine since.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:28 AM

'05 C230WZ / '01 Honda VFR 800
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
I noticed that almost all of you having that problem have an '05. I have an '02 and i haven't got a single rattle or noise for 3 years! It's kinda depressing to see MB quality going down. First it's the armrests peeling and now annoying noises, definitelly a bummer . I would just ***** at the dealer until they fix it.
Overall I'm really impressed by the car. I hate rattles and this is a very rattle-free car. Who knows what I'll think in a year but the last six months have been been great. I like the car more now than I did when I ordered it. I will consider a buying late '06 C350 (and get an additional warranty) because I doubt that I'll like the new body as much as this car.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Sorry to bring this topic back from 2005, but I did STFF, and was finally able to find this posting. Thank the gods this issue is not only happening to me.

Anyways, I'm bringing my car in on Thurs 9/27 to get this checked out and hopefully fixed, as it is now approximating Chinese Water Torture everytime I drive with my seatbelt on (which is about 98% of the time).

The question I have, is does anyone have a technical response to this problem with the seatbelt mounting area clicking during the slightest movement of the seatbelt? I read above that some people managed to get their tech to replace the whole seatbelt assembly, but I don't know if that would fly over at my stealership, as they'll probably just stuff some foam inside and call it a day, which I will then refuse this, and then they'll just say it's an "inherent vehicle characteristic." My *ss.

I've heard elsewhere that it might be a seatbelt tensioner sensor going. But does anyone have any info?

I already know it's not a vibration issue or an issue with the plastic housing that raises and lowers the seatbelt anchor point. The clicking, like nlpamg, and benzo-boi describe is coming from somewhere inside.

Thanks for all your help !!
Cintoman
Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by Cintoman
Sorry to bring this topic back from 2005, but I did STFF, and was finally able to find this posting. Thank the gods this issue is not only happening to me.

Anyways, I'm bringing my car in on Thurs 9/27 to get this checked out and hopefully fixed, as it is now approximating Chinese Water Torture everytime I drive with my seatbelt on (which is about 98% of the time).

The question I have, is does anyone have a technical response to this problem with the seatbelt mounting area clicking during the slightest movement of the seatbelt? I read above that some people managed to get their tech to replace the whole seatbelt assembly, but I don't know if that would fly over at my stealership, as they'll probably just stuff some foam inside and call it a day, which I will then refuse this, and then they'll just say it's an "inherent vehicle characteristic." My *ss.

I've heard elsewhere that it might be a seatbelt tensioner sensor going. But does anyone have any info?

I already know it's not a vibration issue or an issue with the plastic housing that raises and lowers the seatbelt anchor point. The clicking, like nlpamg, and benzo-boi describe is coming from somewhere inside.

Thanks for all your help !!
Cintoman
I had this VERY annoying problem as well. It is definately a metal to metal "tink" sound. I fixed it in a "ghetto" way, as I don't have warranty. I simply took 1/4 of a piece of paper, folded it many times into a 1" by 1" square, and wedged it inbetween the plastic and the black metal piece that the seatbelt loops into.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 PM

2006 C 230, Iridium silver
We've experienced the very same annoying "tinking" noise from both of our seatbelt mechanisms with our '06 C230. Even the slightest movement seems to cause the noise which is incredibly annoying on long trips or drives. We've been to the dealer and they stuffed the drivers side with with felt or foam that has an adhesive backing. That lasted for a short time but not only is the noise back...its worse than before! Dont even get me started on all of the other annoying rattles in the dash! This was our first Mercedes and we bought a modest model to try the line out...all I can say is that based on our experience with cabin rattles in the dash and seatbelts, I seriously doubt that I would buy another one since the noise factor bothers us that much. Its a shame too because we love how the car drives and performs and we're considering some pretty high end cars for the near future...Lexus 460, Porsche, etc. I had my heart set on an SL and would have bought one eventually but based on our first experience with Mercedes, I'm likely going with something else.