C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

renntech pulley installed and i feel pretty good...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Talking renntech pulley installed and i feel pretty good...

superb! exactly what i wanted.

i can't provide any technical info as i have none. but the end result is very good. at first, i was babying the car b/c of wyatt's prior warnings to "be careful" but after i relaxed a little, i began to open the car up and whoo hoo!!!! the extra power is easily noticeable and acceleration is zippy.

definitely the 2nd best mod i have gotten for the car. right now, i'm very excited and can't wait for tomorrow's drive... and the weekend... and so on...

here's me right now...
Old 07-11-2002, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did they do a dyno for you? How's the A/F ratio? I would have that checked before you get too wild seeing that the Renntech warranttee only covers the defective pulleys and not your engine.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 07-11-2002 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Killjoy! You knew that Buell would find a way to **** on your parade.

I don't think there's a dyno in the town that he got it installed in (though it is a great town to grow up in ).

Let me be the first to say congrats, Young. Makes me curious about what the best mod is, though. Did you have Renntech convert it to a six-speed manny? :p Now we definitely need another Philly/NJ meet!
Old 07-11-2002, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
nope, no dyno nor an a/f ratio. and to be honest, i am very very very very comfortable w/ renntech! along w/ amg, kleemann, brabus, etc. of those, i'd be most comfortable w/ an actual AMG car (too bad it wasn't an option last year )

the renntech kit that i got included:
crankshaft pulley
idler pulley
belt

and when it was installed (about 2 hours), they used a new crank seal ring (which cost an additional $16). i have the oem parts (except the old seal ring) in case, um... actually, i don't know why but i have them.

Last edited by young; 08-07-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:12 PM

C32 AMG
Young, can you email me the price of those mods along with the labor cost? I am interested on getting those mods. Either the renntech ones or the Evosport (still under development though). TIA

my email r_1_c32@yahoo.com
Old 07-11-2002, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by tommy
Let me be the first to say congrats, Young. Makes me curious about what the best mod is, though. Did you have Renntech convert it to a six-speed manny? :p Now we definitely need another Philly/NJ meet!
thanks! yeah, i'm up for another meet soon. heheh, the best mod i got was the little SL emergency brake pad cover! $12 for that little thing! what a bargain. um, i guess others may feel differently.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tommy
Killjoy! You knew that Buell would find a way to **** on your parade.
Hey, all the crap I took on my pulley, it's not warrantteed, stop driving your car before it blows up. Now I know the truth, Renntech's warranttee does not cover anything other than the pulley itself, same as Kleemann, sames as ASP. All the pulleys are the same (except for the much lower power gain claims on the Renntech), it's who's name is on the box that's worth $1,300 extra and nothing else. If one pulley gives you dangerously lean a/f ration then they all do. Personally I don't think it's dangerously lean but if you believe it then stop driving that car before it blows up!

Look at what Renntech puts in their warranttee, does this sound like a company that stands by the effects of their product any more than ASP or Kleemann?

Due to the variety of modifications and changes made to Mercedes-Benz cars and/or engines that may affect the performance or durability of related components, RENNtech's obligation under this warranty extends only to the repair or replacement parts manufactured or sold by RENNtech
If anyone wants to see the full warrantee let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:46 AM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Killjoy! You knew that Buell would find a way to **** on your
"Buell" only asking you to watch out from our experienced and not trying to pissing anyone of. It know it felt good, just like when i installed my pulley. But i didn't know about my A/F ratio until i dyno car. So far i know of four people that has installed the pulley and dyno their car showing 14.0:1. This is not danger if you would just drive it normal. But if you race or do across alot then you are asking for trouble. Since your kit does not came with any source fuel aid deliever (chip or fuel pressure regulator), i can warrantee you that your A/F ratio are just like our's. I have never seen any person or manufacturer show their dyno with A/F ratio. They only show their impressive hp/tq gain. This you can tell by "butt dyno". There's no doubt the gain is there !! Buellwinkle is only try to help you from his experience.Let me ask you this, do you experienced longer warm-up then before in the morning when the engine is colder? Here's one of the rule, the car will take longer to warm-up when "lean" then "rich" condition.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:05 AM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
My advice to Young and anyone else is

wait for GIAC to come out with their chip and afterwards, when they make adjustments to the chip for a pulley (they put a pulley on a test car and then adjust their chip so that you have a "good" a/f mix among other things), to seriously consider the GIAC chip w/ pulley.

From what I understand, the chip is still being developed and they will come out with a chip, and then come out with another chip for a pulley modded car. Knowing GIAC's reputation, they will probably give you a lot more --- than the 10-12 hp that other chips give you.

Last edited by Duffer; 07-12-2002 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
linh, i don't race. so thanks for your concern.

i had no plans to chip the car. but i'll re-evaluate when the GIAC comes out.

personally, i'm quite happy w/ the amount of hp and ft/lb gains that i've gotten so i do not feel a need to get any more... well, at least for now
Old 07-12-2002, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by young
nope, no dyno nor an a/f ratio. and to be honest, i am very very very very comfortable w/ renntech! along w/ amg, kleemann, brabus, etc.
Right on! I could care less about the detailed technical aspects of the product as long as I could say that I had one of those tuner parts under my hood. Estimated horsepower increase is also good enough for me, I don't need to dyno the car. All this talk about optimal temperature, being at sea level, etc. is all nice to know; but really, if someone pulled up to you at a light, would you really say, "can you meet me tomorrow morning instead at 7 when the temp cools down? Oh and can you meet me at the bottom of the hill so we can be closer to sea level?...And page me to remind me to place an ice bag over my supercharger before we run!" Real life applications only need estimates. Besides, a big risk is taken anytime we mod our cars, warranty or not.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
nope, no dyno nor an a/f ratio. and to be honest, i am very very very very comfortable w/ renntech! along w/ amg, kleemann, brabus, etc.

Ditto.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Personally, I don't care what happens to your car, just don't go spreading misinformation about the Renntech warranttee. They warranttee the pulley, same as anybody else and nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:06 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Re: renntech pulley installed and i feel pretty good...

definitely the 2nd best mod i have gotten for the car. right now, i'm very excited and can't wait for tomorrow's drive... and the weekend... and so on...
So....what's the first best mod you had done?
Old 07-12-2002, 12:19 PM

2012 GL350
Renntech's warranttee does not cover anything other than the pulley itself, same as Kleemann, sames as ASP.
That is a lie.

Please email me your version of the Renntech warrentee. It sounds nothing like the one I was sent.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Personally, I don't care what happens to your car, just don't go spreading misinformation about the Renntech warranttee. They warranttee the pulley, same as anybody else and nothing more, nothing less.
the quote you posted are for vehicles that do not have mercedes warranty.

here is the warranty for coupe owners - note that labor is also warranteed for up to 4 years:

B. FOR VECHICLES COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURERS NEW CAR WARRANTY.
This warranty extends to the original owner and is transferable. The warranty begins on the date of part purchase. If the vehicle is currently covered by the original vehicle manufacturer’s new car warranty, RENNtech products are warranted for twenty four (24) months or for the remaining term of the original manufacturers’ warranty, whichever is longer. RENNtech will pay for the replacement part (new or remanufactured) and labor at the official Mercedes Benz standard warranty labor rate. Labor will only be covered under this warranty, if the original installation was performed at a RENNtech authorized facility.

To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a defect in material and workmanship, the workshop of any RENNtech authorized dealer, during normal business hours.

EXCLUSIONS FOR BOTH WARRANTYS (A and B)
Parts which show evidence of misapplication, abuse, improper maintenance, alterations from their original configuration, or failure to follow installation instructions are expressly not covered by this warranty. RENNtech also reserves the right to make changes to products, or specifications at any time without obligation to modify earlier parts. No person, company, or other organization is authorized to assume for RENNtech any warranty responsibility or make binding judgments regarding warranties of any parts which from time to time may become subject of a warranty claim.
RENNtech’s limited product warranty specifically excludes:
return shipping charges, towing charges and rental car , damage to a component or assembly due to installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or RENNtech parts, damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a RENNtech part. damage resulting from the use of other manufacturers products in conjunction with RENNtech product or system, damage to clutch due to power shifting or abuse, maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant and refrigerant, mechanical adjustments or repairs which result from normal wear and tear, drive belts, light bulbs, damage due to the failure to perform maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the owners manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or RENNtech product instructions, damage attributed to negligence, improper installation, improper treatment contrary to the instructions in the owners manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or RENNtech product instructions, damage resulting from improper or contaminated fuel, damage to a RENNtech component as a result of a collision or improper collision repairs, any vehicle operated in a competitive event, custom designed competition parts, incidental and /or consequential damages, including loss of time, inconvenience or loss of the use of the vehicle.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Boo2

Right on! I could care less about the detailed technical aspects of the product as long as I could say that I had one of those tuner parts under my hood. Estimated horsepower increase is also good enough for me, I don't need to dyno the car. Besides, a big risk is taken anytime we mod our cars, warranty or not.

Exactly, why worry about the brand name, how and who did the dynos or the warranttee, it's power you are after, the more the merrier. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why if you were going to go this route and take this risk why not go with the vendor that provided the best bang for the buck or just the best bang if money is no object. Look at Renntech, 20 HP (assuming you get the entire kit and not cheap out on the filter) you are paying a whopping $85 per pony based on their website prices. Get any alloy pulley and the HP gain almost doubles and the price is less so you get between $10 and $20 per HP. So no matter how you look at it, the Kleemann or ASP billet alloy pulleys' rule.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:43 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
hey buell
i think there is a comfort level that a big name gives some people. if having that name on the box makes them sleep better at night, more power to them. you have done your best, and brought a fine product to the table. you can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. i was talking to a guy yesterday. he is looking at having a pulley made, and i asked him what he was thinking of for a selling price, and he told me it was likely to be 299 including the belt. i said that was a great price. and he had the best reply "it's a piece of alumnium, right?" i know it has the steel sleve, but it was a great response. it is a pulley for crying out loud. a round piece of metal that spins a belt. nothing more. can everyone stop making it sound like there is some magic going on. " we have done extensive testing" oh really. you made an effectively larger gear! does a shimano make this huge deal when the front chain ring gets bigger by a tooth?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Exactly, why worry about the brand name, .... So no matter how you look at it, the Kleemann or ASP billet alloy pulleys' rule.
i'd have been ok w/ the kleemann kit too. i just wouldn't get the ASP pulley.

if you don't understand why, then don't worry about it.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by sdcaclint
hey buell
i was talking to a guy yesterday. he is looking at having a pulley made, and i asked him what he was thinking of for a selling price, and he told me it was likely to be 299 including the belt.
ASP thought they can do it for $299 but the complex machining and cost of the materials led to the slightly higher price. I'm more than willing to help anyone make any performance goodies for the Coupe so if they need any measurements or tips to save them from grief let me know. Competition makes for better products at reduced prices.

Since there are 8 companies making a pulley for us and 2-3 more in the works, what we really need is a intecooler replacement for under $500. I hear 2 people are working on this but until it's out I don't believe anything. It's really just another hunk of aluminum so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Also a good inexpensive intake would be great. I've proven on the dyno that there's 6hp and 2 ft-lbs of torque to be had so it could be a good product.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:52 PM

i'd have been ok w/ the kleemann kit too. i just wouldn't get the ASP pulley.

if you don't understand why, then don't worry about it.
Buellwinkle, I've figured it out. ASP doesn't have a "cool" sounding Euro name like Kleemann or Renntech! No precision German engineering, just stupid Americans building a cheap pulley on a CNC machine.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:56 PM

linh, i don't race. so thanks for your concern.

I don't race at the track either, but still want to be able to redline my car in all gears when I feel like it. Did you just want a little more mid-range power?
Old 07-12-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by DCX Engineer
Buellwinkle, I've figured it out. ASP doesn't have a "cool" sounding Euro name like Kleemann or Renntech! No precision German engineering, just stupid Americans building a cheap pulley on a CNC machine.
jeez, that is so stupid... thanks for belittling me like that. i return the sentiment.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Re: renntech pulley installed and i feel pretty good...

If that's second, what's first?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:31 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer

Exactly, why worry about the brand name, how and who did the dynos or the warranttee, it's power you are after, the more the merrier. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why if you were going to go this route and take this risk why not go with the vendor that provided the best bang for the buck or just the best bang if money is no object. Look at Renntech, 20 HP (assuming you get the entire kit and not cheap out on the filter) you are paying a whopping $85 per pony based on their website prices. Get any alloy pulley and the HP gain almost doubles and the price is less so you get between $10 and $20 per HP. So no matter how you look at it, the Kleemann or ASP billet alloy pulleys' rule.
You could say the same thing about a C230 compaired to the WRX, the WRX if much cheaper hp wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: renntech pulley installed and i feel pretty good...