C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2.5" or a 3.0" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Coupe
2.5" or a 3.0" exhaust?

Which exhaust piping would benefit more and which one would sound better if im going straight from the header 2.5"/3.0" straight back to the muffler.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Exhaust Size

It may seem logical to put the largest diameter pipes on your exhaust system to improve flow. An exhaust system requires a certain amount of backpressure and flow to scavenge exhaust gases out of the cylinders.

If you ran your car with open headers (no exhaust system at all) it is as likely that you would lose horsepower because the exhaust gasses are not completely leaving the cylinders (no flow to "suck" exhaust out of the system (* or draft *).
Old 09-26-2005, 02:32 PM

04 C230K-ss
3" is just going to be way too loud. I had a full 3" tubro back exhaust on my vee dubs and man it was loud. Id probably laugh if I saw a benz that was screaming around when it shouldnt. Yes a sports tuned exhaust sounds good, but I can tell you a 3" exhaust is just too loud for a car like that
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 PM

C230K Coupe
When i was bored one day. I ran if it off my catback, and man does it sound like a monster. After hearing that i thought i had a Z06 engine. But then when i went ot take it for a ride it was nice and meaty but once i floored it it sounded like a ****ing honda that buzzed like there was no tomorrow. One of my friends that modifys cars said i should forget the cat and run 3" pipe from headers(basically a testpipe) straight to the back with a sports muffler or anytype of muffler and it would sound mean.

Anyones feeDback?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by TheBossman
3" is just going to be way too loud. I had a full 3" tubro back exhaust on my vee dubs and man it was loud. Id probably laugh if I saw a benz that was screaming around when it shouldnt. Yes a sports tuned exhaust sounds good, but I can tell you a 3" exhaust is just too loud for a car like that
BS. The larger pipe just flows better. Straight pipes don't reduce noise. The muffler, the cat, and the resonators all reduce noise. The pipe size doesn't. Larger pipes will deepen the sound, something that IMHO improves the tone of the sound greatly.

Consider that the exhaust on the C230 isn't restriction, its the factory header and the cat. So, a larger pipe is just gonna deepen the sound, not make it louder, or give you more power. If you just want noise, go with the 3" and a good proven muffler. Or just do the muffler. No polished rice cans hanging at some idiot angle out the corner of the bumper.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I read German very poorly, but I read a flyer from a Koln dealer that suggested an AMG twin tailpipe could be fitted to an existing car with a 2.6 or 3.2l motor. The "kit" was a cat back system that changed the tail pipe from 60mm to 65 mm with an adapter, and it included an AMG muffler, a template to cut the notch in the rear valance, and touch-up paint for the edges of the cut out part. It also came with beefier hangers. So 65mm seems to be what AMG likes.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 AM

2010 C300
Judging by the fact no one has ever had measureable gains by upgrading a cat-back exhaust... size doesn't matter so much. I would recommend a 2.5" at the biggest for a C230k unless you turbo it... then who knows. I would think the intake flow is a bigger restriction than the exhaust on our cars... If MB could increase the HP rating for a "sport coupe" by simply increasing the diameter of the exhaust - they would have done it.

I'd look more to a custom/tuner header - or upgrade the intake system. (port TB, S/C, intercooler upgrade?).
Old 09-27-2005, 03:52 AM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by HoustonC230
Judging by the fact no one has ever had measureable gains by upgrading a cat-back exhaust... size doesn't matter so much. I would recommend a 2.5" at the biggest for a C230k unless you turbo it... then who knows. I would think the intake flow is a bigger restriction than the exhaust on our cars... If MB could increase the HP rating for a "sport coupe" by simply increasing the diameter of the exhaust - they would have done it.

I'd look more to a custom/tuner header - or upgrade the intake system. (port TB, S/C, intercooler upgrade?).
Well my friend. Tomorrow i will be heading to autologic. Im getting a cold air intake, new intercooler piping ready to fit my custom intercooler from spearco, and the exhaust system. I have decided to go with the 3" exhaust just to get a meatier sound, not too big on the performance of my exhaust, more concentrating on my SC and my SC. lol . I will do a dyno tomorrow from stock, to intake, exhaust, and intercooler upgrade. THen those mods and run off my testpipe cutoff. So i will have 3 runs total for you guys. I will be video taping the whole process. Hopefully i make more than 3 HP to the wheels.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by DjKompressor
Well my friend. Tomorrow i will be heading to autologic. Im getting a cold air intake, new intercooler piping ready to fit my custom intercooler from spearco, and the exhaust system. I have decided to go with the 3" exhaust just to get a meatier sound, not too big on the performance of my exhaust, more concentrating on my SC and my SC. lol . I will do a dyno tomorrow from stock, to intake, exhaust, and intercooler upgrade. THen those mods and run off my testpipe cutoff. So i will have 3 runs total for you guys. I will be video taping the whole process. Hopefully i make more than 3 HP to the wheels.
If you have an M111, a simple crank pulley swap is 30-40Hp. Don't know where youre going to get a CAI, the stock setup is about as good as it gets, given the other options. I'd get a K&N drop in, and wrap some of the existing intake to reduce heat soak. The intercooler should be interesting. Previous attemps with aftermarket intercoolers have noted a significant pressure drop and poorer flow, although the temps did drop. I hope yours works out better. If you have the M271, the intercooler upgrade could make some ponies.

I'm also interested in you results with the test pipe in place. Post your charts when youre done.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:35 PM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by Outland
If you have an M111, a simple crank pulley swap is 30-40Hp. Don't know where youre going to get a CAI, the stock setup is about as good as it gets, given the other options. I'd get a K&N drop in, and wrap some of the existing intake to reduce heat soak. The intercooler should be interesting. Previous attemps with aftermarket intercoolers have noted a significant pressure drop and poorer flow, although the temps did drop. I hope yours works out better. If you have the M271, the intercooler upgrade could make some ponies.

I'm also interested in you results with the test pipe in place. Post your charts when youre done.

I went to autologic today and they are low on material to fab my CAI and intercooler piping. The exhaust they had but i want it all at once to see the dyno from stock to aftermarket stuff.

To the message up top.

-Custom CAI
-M111
-How much is a crank pulley? I know forcedinduction made himself one.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM

2010 C300
I went to autologic today and they are low on material to fab my CAI and intercooler piping. The exhaust they had but i want it all at once to see the dyno from stock to aftermarket stuff.

To the message up top.

-Custom CAI
-M111
What material do they need? I might be able to find some cheap/free - bring your cost down a bit if they don't need to drop the $ for the piping.

I'd need specifics, grade (guessing 304L or 316L), diameters, wall thickness...
Old 09-28-2005, 06:07 PM

I'm no C class expert, but 3" would be overkill unless you're turning 5000 rpms or higher on a daily basis. If you're running that high of rpms, then go for it, but I don't think you're running that high. Maybe you are.

It will kill your torque unless you're running a diesel in there. I've a 5" exhaust from the downpipe back to the tailpipe in my diesel and it roars! A diesel is a different animal and requires no scavenging backpressure.

Do let us know what difference it makes in the dyno runs.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by PHXATC
It will kill your torque unless you're running a diesel in there. I've a 5" exhaust from the downpipe back to the tailpipe in my diesel and it roars! A diesel is a different animal and requires no scavenging backpressure.

Do let us know what difference it makes in the dyno runs.
THe supercharger supplies plenty of boost to keep things flowing. Scavenging is a naturally aspirated need...boosted cars want to breath. I don't think he'll get squat in terms of HP...the MB Exhaust manifold and cat are likely the biggest restrictors, not the piping. Sound should be quite nice with a good muffler.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

To the message up top.

-Custom CAI
-M111
Maybe you should move this over to the "other" forumn.

M B K L A S S E
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
yeah the 3" exhaust are too loud... I was in toronto and saw a Red c coupe with gold letters and a huge ricer spoiler (duno if hes on the forums) he put a huge exhaust and it sounds so ricey, sport exhaust is goood
Old 09-29-2005, 01:14 PM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
How about replacing your restrictive Header and cat with a Supersprint header first?

I examin the entire exhaust system when my car was jacked up the other day for oil change, and saw no "restrictions" interms of exhaust flow anywhere on the stock exhaust system. Except for the Header with Cat.

If I were you, I'll get a header and a deep tone muffler. (Remus or something)
Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by BabyBenz6spd
How about replacing your restrictive Header and cat with a Supersprint header first?

I examin the entire exhaust system when my car was jacked up the other day for oil change, and saw no "restrictions" interms of exhaust flow anywhere on the stock exhaust system. Except for the Header with Cat.

If I were you, I'll get a header and a deep tone muffler. (Remus or something)
the stock muffler is HUGE!!! and it weighs like 100 pounds. lol
Old 09-30-2005, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
what's the size of the stock piping for a 230k ss anyway?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230K '10 GLK350 '13 SMART
I think it is about 2.4 inches 60mm, but that was a quick measurement with a ruler
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203
I think it is about 2.4 inches 60mm, but that was a quick measurement with a ruler
If I remember i measured 2.5" with a digital caliper. But that was about 5 months ago!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by advans
yeah the 3" exhaust are too loud... I was in toronto and saw a Red c coupe with gold letters and a huge ricer spoiler (duno if hes on the forums) he put a huge exhaust and it sounds so ricey, sport exhaust is goood
Right...cause you saw all the way under the car, and could tell that was 3 inch piping.

C'mon folks. Think before replying.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:29 AM

C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by Outland
Right...cause you saw all the way under the car, and could tell that was 3 inch piping.

C'mon folks. Think before replying.
Alot of my mechanic guys tell me when i get my custom headers, testpipe, and exhaust piping is done it will sound like american muscle. Im goign to get a 3 inch tip, sorta looks like the C5 exhaust, but not dual exhaust, just one side of it. and it is basically straight piping from my custom race headers.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Alot of my mechanic guys tell me when i get my custom headers, testpipe, and exhaust piping is done it will sound like american muscle. Im goign to get a 3 inch tip, sorta looks like the C5 exhaust, but not dual exhaust, just one side of it. and it is basically straight piping from my custom race headers.

If you wanted an american V8 you should have bought one. An inline four is never going to sound like a V8...American Muscle...more like German Thinking.. Play to your car's strengths....the supercharger. There's no stacato firing sequence sound on a four. The music comes from the gear whine on this car, not the exhaust.

And I'd go with twin outlets on the same muffler, or dual exhausts...I'm not a fan of the fart can look. Three inch piping all the way back is gonna make it deep and throaty. Pick a muffler that emphasizes that.

Put up sound sound files when youre done.