C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Touch Free Car Wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Question Touch Free Car Wash

I noticed that at the local Mobil gas stations that they have Touch Free Car wash. They claim that it will not scratch the paint. The winter has come, and it's now too cold to wash the car outside. My question is: Is this touch free car wash reliable?

Thank you for any feedbacks.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:58 PM
benzomonterey

I haven't used one on the benz yet but had no problem with other cars that I have owned. In fact I noticed that several people ran porsches and lexus through and they came out unscathed.

Benzo
Old 12-10-2001, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
Some--dare I say--fanatics believe that the high pressure nozzles of the touch-free washes can force particulates against the clear coat and cause scratches. They also note that many touch-free washes recycle water using questionable filtering technology which may result in your vehicle being blasted with high-velocity grime and grit.

The purists are probably right but, for many of us who live in the real world (i.e. spending less than $100 and 16 hours per month cleaning & waxing our cars), touch-free washes are fine, just fine.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:44 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I'm no fanatic, but I would not put my car through a carwash. Touch free or not, you WILL notice a difference after 3 years of putting the car through a carwash - ANY carwash.

This is a pretty small car. Once every two weeks I hose it down, wash it with a wash mitt and car wash soap, and dry it off with a big cotton bath towel. Takes probably 20 minutes, is a good time to check the car for scratches and chips.

I can put aside 20 minutes every 2 weeks for that.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:58 PM
benzomonterey

Originally posted by SoCal240/6

I can put aside 20 minutes every 2 weeks for that.
Always that nice touch of sarcasm. As you may have overlooked above he said he lives in a winter climate that doesn't allow outside washings. Plus some people live in condo's or other types of housing that don't allow them to wash their car outside. I personally prefer a cleaner car than every two weeks but on the other hand I have never had a car for more than 2 years at the most so I don't worry much about stuff.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save your money, buy a power washer at Walmart and strip the paint off your car youself, save the middleman. I use the touchless washes on cars I don't care much about like my old pickup truck, my wife's silver SUV and such. For my darker cars that show swirls and scratches I go to a good hand wash place. I know what you mean about weather interfering with personal car washing. To us it's cold when it dips into the 50s and 60s. It almost impossible to wash your car when it's in the 100s in the summer. Luckily my dealer does a pretty decent hand wash for free whenever I want it (except Sunday).
Old 12-10-2001, 11:10 PM

I'd avoid the touchless washes too - and I'm just a borderline fanatic.

I live in Chicago, and hand washes (my hands, of course) can get a little uncomfortable during the winter months. That said, I only use mechanized car washes (of any variety) in dire circumstances - when the salt has gotten too crusty, or a blizzard has made me forget what color the car was originally, and it's so danged cold that I can't hand wash it.

My S2000 has *never* seen anything worse than those DIY power-wand places. I plan to treat the C230 in the same fashion.

And who can go for two weeks without washing their car? I don't care if you do live in sunny southern California!
Old 12-11-2001, 01:09 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by benzomonterey

Always that nice touch of sarcasm. As you may have overlooked above he said he lives in a winter climate that doesn't allow outside washings. Plus some people live in condo's or other types of housing that don't allow them to wash their car outside. I personally prefer a cleaner car than every two weeks but on the other hand I have never had a car for more than 2 years at the most so I don't worry much about stuff.
Damn, I am so sarcastic that I am even when I'm not trying to be!

This time I really just meant that I personally have 20 minutes to wash every 2 weeks. Which is plenty for my cars, which are parked and garaged around 23 hours per day (at work and at home).

We are the exact opposite as far as length of ownership. It is very rare for me to have a car for less than 10 years. When my wife and I bought the '01 C, I sold my car (a 74 Porsche) and took over my wifes old car (a kick-a$$ '88 BMW 535is 5 speed). We will probably keep the C for 15 years, too, if it can hold up like a Porsche or mid/late 80s BMW. (which I am hopeful, but not entirely confident, of).

My method is to buy a high quality car for cash and drive it a long time. So, taking care of a car cosmetically and mechanically is very important to me. (most people can't believe how old my BMW is). Which is why I would not subject it to a car wash. I think its better to just let it stay dirty until you can wash it.

But, I do agree with you, most people keep a car for only a few years. If that is the case, I would not be too concerned about a car wash, I would not do extra oil changes, etc.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
The 525 is kick ***!

It shifts very similar to the C230K, I think.

Anyway, my cars don't last that long, I have rolled an Integra, it was still running, on the roof, so I had to remove the key, get to the nearest 7-11 and report it stolen. etc.... etc...

Personally, I think after 2 or 3 years I will run the MB through the local wash.

I got the oils changed early at the dealership. I noticed they hand wash all cars getting serviced.

I asked them to not was my car as I prefer to do it myself.

I guess it is like a nanny, you might let her change the diapers but would you really want her to bathe and dress your child?

I prefer to do it myself. Impart a little personal expression and exchange ideas at the same time.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Whoops... I mean 535 ;-)