C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by bwco
I'm sorry not to provide you with the entire article. But this page is a "Prodcuts page" which is usually sponsored by the producer of the product. I've worked with the magazine editors for my company before and I know how to make it look good with my own products too.

Also, forgot to inform you that, magazine editor did the 0-60 mile test, who knows how they came out with 9.55 sec and 8.5sec?
first run the editor was sipping his mocha latte and spilled it in his crotch resulting in a 1.05 second gain
Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 PM
skr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
I'm sorry not to provide you with the entire article. But this page is a "Prodcuts page" which is usually sponsored by the producer of the product. I've worked with the magazine editors for my company before and I know how to make it look good with my own products too.

Also, forgot to inform you that, magazine editor did the 0-60 mile test, who knows how they came out with 9.55 sec and 8.5sec?
bwco,

What products do you sell? Maybe that will help us understand your motivation.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by skr
bwco,

Whatever it is they sell will have to be discussed in private (i.e. pm or email). Any advertisement of products that is not from a sponsored vendor and/or approved by the administrators of this forum will be deleted.

TO ALL - Please make sure to read the Terms of Use of these forums, if you don't understand what the problem would be. Here is the link: LINK: MBWorld Terms of Use
Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
TW magazine versus HK reseller/buyer...round 2...FIGHT!!!

jk...

after some reading and some thinking...the only conclusion I came up is that unless the sprintbooster uploads a completely new throttle program into the ECU that at certain throttle input it should open the throttle more, the sprintbooster is simply a code that tells the ECU to constantly leaving the throttle open at a higher degree which from the same pedal input the throttle body is already open further than "stock". This of course ultimately leads to higher fuel consumption at idle, but not necessary at speed. based on this assumption jgsx is false for saying the sprintbooster does it by telling the ECU to open up the throttle when the pedal is pushed. And bwco is false for saying this can't be removed.

an added code/relay can be as simple as un-plug it. a reprogram has to go through more steps.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-08-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by FrankW
TW magazine versus HK reseller/buyer...round 2...FIGHT!!!

jk...

after some reading and some thinking...the only conclusion I came up is that unless the sprintbooster uploads a completely new throttle program into the ECU that at certain throttle input it should open the throttle more, the sprintbooster is simply a code that tells the ECU to constantly leaving the throttle open at a higher degree which from the same pedal input the throttle body is already open further than "stock". This of course ultimately leads to higher fuel consumption at idle, but not necessary at speed. based on this assumption jgsx is false for saying the sprintbooster does it by telling the ECU to open up the throttle when the pedal is pushed. And bwco is false for saying this can't be removed.

an added code/relay can be as simple as un-plug it. a reprogram has to go through more steps.
Frank, I've actually inspected and installed this thing. I am not making assumptions. It uploads nothing new. All it does is modify the throttle signal. That's it. It really is that simple.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by skr
bwco,

sorry to inform you that I had a busines that's not car-related. I used to distribute Japanese cosmetics. Now, I work in the financial/currency field. Or, u can just call me the drug dealer.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:46 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by jgsx
Instead of mocking, explain how the sprintbooster removes the 'safety net' and can lead to probable engine failure
I always think a vehicle is a "whole" system which the Mercedes Engineers designed it with the lastest technology and system. If you or me add/remove anything from the car, you're "modifying" the system/vehicle.

On the other hand, why don't u prove me that you've done "NOTHING" to the car by "Modifying" it with a Sprint Booster? Honestly, I'm from a Subaru Community and I've seen many data logging and stupid mappings and datas, if you can seriously prove to me that Sprint Booster has "NOT" modified anything on the car, I would really appreciate your input.

*Please let me know where I said "remove the safety net" phrase? I said MB has their own safety net, which is common sense to everyone who knows a little bit about cars. A rev limiter could be a safety net, a 14:1 A/F could be a safety net, a 41 psi fuel pressure could be a safety net, a 4 bar oil pressure could be a safety net. Or you're telling me that Mercedes has no so-called "safety net" at all to protect the engine from blowing up? let's try to lean out your engine to 17:1 A/F and see what happens on the Supercharged engine. Or simply raise the boost by 30% ?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:03 AM

Kia Sedona
hey guys,
i first heard of the sprint booster by chance here couple weeks ago and got very interested because i was very annoyed by the lazy throttle response by my 01cl600. from this forum i also learned about the group buys at crossfire forum and signed up for the one. due to some offensive comments posted by a board member at crossfire forum(to me at least) i backed out of the group buy and bought one from slkfan on ebay. i paid by paypal on 9-4-06 evening and received it this am (little more than 3 days)!!! from singapore to westcoast usa!! the installation was very easy-just like previously posted. only one nut to remove. before the instal, i didn't like to let my friend drive my car not because i baby my car, but because i was too embarrassed for the v12's throttle response. now, i don't feel so bad anymore. the takeoff is much more responsive and effortless. this little device simply fooled the computer as if we are pressing the throttle harder. can we achieve the same effect by flooring it everytime? probably, but why would you want to do that? especially you can do it with a simple and cheap mod. the car should come out of assembly line like this. i got the automatic one and it is kind of tame. it's definitely not like someone posted before where you can scare women and children maybe i should try the manuel one. the service by slkfan is great. the price is cheaper than the crossfire group buy and i received my already!!! (sorry, i still can't get over the excitement of receiving the booster 3 days after i order and also on friday so i can play with it all weekend. anyway, this is a great little mod for all mb's with dbw. wheather it's worth it or not is depends on you. i got a feeling that very soon someone will be able to replicate it and sell it for less than a houndred usd. but before that, slkfan is your best bet.
p.s. pm me if you are in the atlanta area and want to try it out on your car or test drive my. i will try it on the w202 and w163 as well.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:02 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Frank, I've actually inspected and installed this thing. I am not making assumptions. It uploads nothing new. All it does is modify the throttle signal. That's it. It really is that simple.
read what I said, thank you. I know you have installed it and like it, but it seems it's a little misunderstood on what it actually does.

I said if it doesn't upload any new program then it's simply telling the throttle body to open wider than stock setting. The only way to increase the throttle response without changing the throttle program is to tell the throttle body to stay open wider in advance.

for example say the range of the throttle is 0-10 and the stock setting at idle is 1 and at speed at maybe 3-4 and with pedal input it increases till it hits 10 at wide open throttle. Now add the sprintbooster, it's going to tell the throttle body at idle that it starts off at 2 and at 4-5 position at speed until it hits 10. that's all there is to it. under normal condition you may not see much gas mileage difference.

to modify the signal like you said it means that it'll take longer for the information from pedal to be sent to ECU. The electric signal only goes so fast and the more bridge you add in the middle the slower it is. It may not be significant to tell, but it's the fact. If this is the case it would also take heck of a lot more programming for this to work. For something that's mass produced for all the cars it would certainly cost heck of a lot more.

sprintbooster does it work to improve response at stop? sure it does. if your ecu guy has the know how he can just imprint it onto the ECU to do the same thing.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-09-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:01 AM

2005 C230 SS
02ml320 - nice post!...
I got into the crossfire forum group buy and I know it is going to be a while until I get...I can't wait.

I should have ordered it from SLKFAN...you wrote some good feedback about your purchase with him so I am sure he will be getting a lot of orders.

Enjoy the SB!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
to modify the signal like you said it means that it'll take longer for the information from pedal to be sent to ECU. The electric signal only goes so fast and the more bridge you add in the middle the slower it is. It may not be significant to tell, but it's the fact. If this is the case it would also take heck of a lot more programming for this to work. For something that's mass produced for all the cars it would certainly cost heck of a lot more.

sprintbooster does it work to improve response at stop? sure it does. if your ecu guy has the know how he can just imprint it onto the ECU to do the same thing.
I'm an aerospace/electrical engineer, so I work with sensor control algrotihms for cutting edge aircraft every day. Things are not so complicated. The sprintbooster does not slow down any signals.

There is no logic in our pedal. The pedal just outputs a signal that is proportional to the throttle angle. The ECU sees the throttle angle, and along with other data, makes a decision on how to behave.

The sprint booster just goes inline and modifies the thorttle signal. The ECU sees the modified signal, and is now more likeley to start accelerating sooner, and more likely to downshift.

You're right Frank, it would be possible to achieve this by modifying the ECU. I haven't heard of any ECU remaps that do a good job of that though. I know that my Powerchip sure didn't. I think that the ECU flashes out there mainly change the AFR and timing maps, not throttle mapping.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I always think a vehicle is a "whole" system which the Mercedes Engineers designed it with the lastest technology and system. If you or me add/remove anything from the car, you're "modifying" the system/vehicle.

On the other hand, why don't u prove me that you've done "NOTHING" to the car by "Modifying" it with a Sprint Booster? Honestly, I'm from a Subaru Community and I've seen many data logging and stupid mappings and datas, if you can seriously prove to me that Sprint Booster has "NOT" modified anything on the car, I would really appreciate your input.

*Please let me know where I said "remove the safety net" phrase? I said MB has their own safety net, which is common sense to everyone who knows a little bit about cars. A rev limiter could be a safety net, a 14:1 A/F could be a safety net, a 41 psi fuel pressure could be a safety net, a 4 bar oil pressure could be a safety net. Or you're telling me that Mercedes has no so-called "safety net" at all to protect the engine from blowing up? let's try to lean out your engine to 17:1 A/F and see what happens on the Supercharged engine. Or simply raise the boost by 30% ?

Of course there are stupid things you can do to a car, and yes, bad mapping can destroy everything. Yes, the car has a lot of safety nets to protect itself, but the sprintbooster does not disturb any of those.

The unit only modifies the throttle signal, and does not change any AFR or timing mapping. Blindly modifying sensor data can be very dangerous if the ECU uses those signals to make AFR or timing decisions. Modifying the air flow signal or crank angle sensor can be very danerous if you don't know what you're doing. People sometimes modify those signals with the intention of fooling the car into running at a different AFR or use different timing. Input a bad air flow or crank angle signal to the ecu and your car can go boom. The car does not use the throttle signal to make AFR or timing decisions. The throttle signal obviously has a low priority with our car. You can mash the throttle, and the ECU can still decide not to accelerate hard. You can send the 100% pedal depressed signal, and if the ECU will never do anything dangerous. The sprintbooster just modifies that throttle signal, and doesn't send a signal more than 100% pedal depressed, so there aren't any issues with safety. The ECU still has the final say.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
the sprintbooster is simply a code that tells the ECU to constantly leaving the throttle open at a higher degree which from the same pedal input the throttle body is already open further than "stock". This of course ultimately leads to higher fuel consumption at idle, but not necessary at speed. based on this assumption jgsx is false for saying the sprintbooster does it by telling the ECU to open up the throttle when the pedal is pushed. And bwco is false for saying this can't be removed.
Ok, I reread what you said. You are false. You're describing it as some kind of offset. It isn't that simple. The car behaves 100% stock at idle when the throttle is 0% depressed. The sprintbooster modifies the signal proportinally to the throttle angle. The amount it modifies the signal depends on which booster youre using, the manual/'old' version, or the auto/'new' version.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 PM

10' GLK
Ok, I reread what you said. You are false. You're describing it as some kind of offset. It isn't that simple. The car behaves 100% stock at idle when the throttle is 0% depressed. The sprintbooster modifies the signal proportinally to the throttle angle. The amount it modifies the signal depends on which booster youre using, the manual/'old' version, or the auto/'new' version.

I was really expecting the word "resistance" from all your replies after you said u're a engineer of some sort, and expect you know these common vehicles easily. The amount of pedals you pressed were sent as a "resistance value R or ohm" to the ECU and the ECU read these signals in terms of ohms. Plus there might be a whole lot other perimeters to calculate the correct signals.

Guys, don't ask me to prove that this Sprint Booster WILL make this engine go BOOM, but prove me that it ONLY modify the throttle signals. My only arguement here is that this Sprint Booster is a device that modifies the signals, if you think it won't change a damn thing with the ECU data. That's fine, but I'm the **** type that doesn't like to modify the perfectly fine Mercedes daily driver. If i'm looking for throttle response, I won't even choose the MB or I'll just take my weekend car out for the speed.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Guys, don't ask me to prove that this Sprint Booster WILL make this engine go BOOM, but prove me that it ONLY modify the throttle signals.
The device goes inbetween the pedal output and the pedal harness. Only two of the signal pins are modified by the sprintbooster. So . . . it only modifies the throttle signal. What more proof do you want?

That's fine, but I'm the **** type that doesn't like to modify the perfectly fine Mercedes daily driver. If i'm looking for throttle response, I won't even choose the MB or I'll just take my weekend car out for the speed.
You started out with the attitude that this device is some kind of scam, and you can damage the car with it. Now you're saying that the car is fine stock. I've said several times that this device is for people that want to improve the throttle response of the drive by wire throttle. Drive by wire throttle response delay is a well known issue with many newer vehicles, and many feel that the stock behavior is far from perfect. The sprintbooster does a nice job of improving the behavior. This is the only product that I've seen that dramatically improves this behavior.

So it is simple. If you are satisfied with the stock throttle response, you don't need this. If you want to dramatically improve the throttle response, there is finally a solution for our vehicles.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:23 PM

2016 C63s AMG
The device goes inbetween the pedal output and the pedal harness. Only two of the signal pins are modified by the sprintbooster. So . . . it only modifies the throttle signal. What more proof do you want?

You started out with the attitude that this device is some kind of scam, and you can damage the car with it. Now you're saying that the car is fine stock. I've said several times that this device is for people that want to improve the throttle response of the drive by wire throttle. Drive by wire throttle response delay is a well known issue with many newer vehicles, and many feel that the stock behavior is far from perfect. The sprintbooster does a nice job of improving the behavior. This is the only product that I've seen that dramatically improves this behavior.

So it is simple. If you are satisfied with the stock throttle response, you don't need this. If you want to dramatically improve the throttle response, there is finally a solution for our vehicles.
WELL SAID!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 PM

Kia Sedona
drove a houndred miles around town today running errands (and testing out the new toy of course). my conclusion of sprint booster: should be installed in factory for buyers younger than 75, not legally blind and believes a car is NOT just a mean to get from point a to point b. i didn't notice any real worsening of mpg (maybe because it can't get much worse than 12mpg ). thought about selling the car before but now i think i will keep this little puppy. is it worth the price i paid? you bet your sweet behind it is. might order a couple more for my other cars when i get the cash. for those of you on the fence about this, just order it, you won't regret it i promise.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by 02ml320
drove a houndred miles around town today running errands (and testing out the new toy of course). my conclusion of sprint booster: should be installed in factory for buyers younger than 75, not legally blind and believes a car is NOT just a mean to get from point a to point b. i didn't notice any real worsening of mpg (maybe because it can't get much worse than 12mpg ). thought about selling the car before but now i think i will keep this little puppy. is it worth the price i paid? you bet your sweet behind it is. might order a couple more for my other cars when i get the cash. for those of you on the fence about this, just order it, you won't regret it i promise.
hey are u coming to the AMGFest in Atlanta?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Kia Sedona
would love to if no one objects that it's not an amg
Old 09-12-2006, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Got sprint booster today, no instructions, how to install?

I got my sprint booster from DHL today, only problem is it doesn't come with any instructions at all. I thought it plugs into the OBD port under the steering wheel but the plugs don't even come close to matching up. Someone else said it goes behind the pedals on the floor but there are no plugs there. How the hell do i install this thing. I wanted to try it today but I can't even figure out where to plug it.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ctC230K
I got my sprint booster from DHL today, only problem is it doesn't come with any instructions at all. I thought it plugs into the OBD port under the steering wheel but the plugs don't even come close to matching up. Someone else said it goes behind the pedals on the floor but there are no plugs there. How the hell do i install this thing. I wanted to try it today but I can't even figure out where to plug it.
ctC230k,

It does not go to the OBD port, nothing of that sort.

What you have to do is plug it in behind the gas pedal. Before you do that, there is a screw behind the pedal, remove it and have the sprint booster connect to it.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
okay, thanks. i will have to try it tomorrow. i looked behind the pedal too and i didn't see anywhere to plug it, didn't even see any screws. i want to try it now but its midnight and cold outside.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:32 AM

okay, thanks. i will have to try it tomorrow. i looked behind the pedal too and i didn't see anywhere to plug it, didn't even see any screws. i want to try it now but its midnight and cold outside.
ctC230K,

The SB connects to the accelerator position sensor which is behind the accelerator pedal assembly. You need to remove the nut/washer behind the accelerator pedal. When you are done with that, slowly remove the entire pedal assembly and you can see the position sensor. Remove the the connector from the position sensor and have the sprint booster connected in series. Do not apply any excessive force when you have them connected. When this is done, reseat the entire pedal assembly and have the nut tightened.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified

I keep asking for installed photos and no person has one. Sounds odd to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed