C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:08 PM
skr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
I bought my '06 c230 a over a month ago and I had posted the following question on the forum not knowing anything about the Sprint Booster:

Originally Posted by skr
I have a 2006 c230 7 speed, 3 weeks old. When I accelerate hard from a stop, the first 1-2 seconds the car feels bogged down then the acceleration is excellent after that. This happens even with the trans on "S" Is this normal? If so what can be done to improve it without voiding the warranty?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/159332-initial-acceleration-lag-c230-7-speed.html

Anyways, the point I would like to make is: no matter how hard I try to accelerate WOT or otherwise there is a significant lag, and no matter how I try to manipulate the throttle from a stand still, it is there. I have even tried power braking and it is still slow to take off. I have also done the ECU throttle reset many times. I don't know what model MB bwco drives, but there is no way to compensate for the initial lag in a '06 c230 7 speed, without some sort of mod. So, if this product does what it claims, there is absolutely a need for it.

I have not installed the Sprint Booster, but I am in on the group buy. According to the testimonials of people that have installed it, this product seems to address the issue of acceleration lag. I will only know myself once I've recieved mine and installed it. If the product is bogus, I will lose $268 and 15 minutes of install. I've wasted alot more money & time on other things that went no where, so if this doesn't do what it claims - BIG DEAL. However, if it works it is money & time very well spent.

So in conclusion: If this works, it is a great & needed product. If it doesn't at least I won't be wondering what if.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by BabyBenz6spd
Not all product is made for everyone, if you don't like it DON'T BUY IT~ It's as easy as that

It's not your money so just layback and no criticism is nessary.
Not quite. The dissenting opinion is just as necessary as the positive review of the product. bwco is presenting his opinion of the facts as he sees them as presented by several automobile magazines. He may not have the product, but he is presenting what he knows, and most of it is not coming out of his ***.

Quite frankly, I've yet to read a review of the product that points to several of it's most probable deficiencies, which include decreased fuel efficiency (which would point to the WOT theory). I've yet to read more than two reviews of this product on this forum NOT by someone selling the same product. If he's in the interest of helping you make a wise purchase (as opposed to purchasing something he is selling) don't insult his efforts.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by ctC230K
slkfans- I paid for mine, please send manual transmission!
ctc230K,

Send you a PM. Pls check....good news !
Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by jedcred
Not quite. The dissenting opinion is just as necessary as the positive review of the product. bwco is presenting his opinion of the facts as he sees them as presented by several automobile magazines. He may not have the product, but he is presenting what he knows, and most of it is not coming out of his ***.

Quite frankly, I've yet to read a review of the product that points to several of it's most probable deficiencies, which include decreased fuel efficiency (which would point to the WOT theory). I've yet to read more than two reviews of this product on this forum NOT by someone selling the same product. If he's in the interest of helping you make a wise purchase (as opposed to purchasing something he is selling) don't insult his efforts.
There are many reviews on this forum of happy users that aren't trying to sell the product. I haven't seen any negative reviews.

The device just modified the throttle position signal sent to the computer. That's it. If you accelerate harder more frequently, then sure your gas milage will go down. If you drive normal, then no, there won't be any change in gas mileage. This device doesn't take away any 'safety nets' or anything like that. Once again, all that this does is modify the throttle sensor signal sent to the comptuer. If you know how the car works, that should be enough information to answer any questions that you have.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 AM

10' GLK
Okay guys. Excuse my bad english translation from a Chinese Auto Magazine which featured the Spring Booster article.

-- Electronic throttle body : When the driver step on the gas pedal, the ECU calculate the gas pedal angle, then a proportion of the throttle body opens according to the amount you depressed the gas pedal. Signals being sent to many other related sensors and ECU's thereafter. Hence, you feel the lag in acceleration.

-- How it works (according to the Taiwanese distributor) : Sprint booster goes in the middle of the gas pedal sensor and alter the signals sent out by the gas pedal angle. Sprint booster will alter this signal and fool the ECU by telling the ECU that the gas pedal was being depressed at a larger angle.

Before Install
E.g. When you press 20% of the gas pedal down, the gas pedal sensor will the signal to the ECU and the throttle body will open up 20%.

After Install
E.g. When you press 20% of the gas pedal down, the Sprint Booster will alther the signal from the gas pedal sensor and fool the ECU that the driver depressed 50% of the gas pedal. Hence, the throttle body will open up 50% or larger. Hence, the engine is producing more power with the 20% gas pedal depression.

The car magazine recorded a quicker time form 0-60 at 9.55s (before install) and 8.5s (after install)

*Note (from the article) -- This product is only providing an earlier Wide Open Throttle. No actual power being produced by the sprint booster. This product will provide you a "feeling" of quicker pickup, However, the price of the extra acceleration is the extra gasoline being burnt.

I havn't proof read my chingrish yet, but I hope you guys understand this more now. If you wanna read more about this Chinese article, please refer to Spec R Magaine of Taiwan, issue No. 103 Dated 2006 May Page 309.

^ If people think that I should just shut up and keep my negative comments to myself. Why? I know it's your money and you can choose to spend it by all means. But I'm just expressing my own knowledge about this product to the people who's interested. Why should I shut up when you feel like airing your comment?

^ By the way, I drive a 05' automatic 230K C Coupe in Canada (sometimes).

Thanks all.
BWCO

Last edited by bwco; 09-07-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:40 AM

2016 C63s AMG
I am still confused. Are you selling the aggresive ones with the check engine light that comes on. Or the new version which arent as aggresive and no check engine light? The aggressive ones sound like it would be better but if the check engine light comes one it would be annoying. How different is the aggresive version from the non agressive version?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by slkfans
ctc230K,

Send you a PM. Pls check....good news !
Old 09-07-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by bwco
Okay guys. Excuse my bad english translation from a Chinese Auto Magazine which featured the Spring Booster article.

-- Electronic throttle body : When the driver step on the gas pedal, the ECU calculate the gas pedal angle, then a proportion of the throttle body opens according to the amount you depressed the gas pedal. Signals being sent to many other related sensors and ECU's thereafter. Hence, you feel the lag in acceleration.

-- How it works (according to the Taiwanese distributor) : Sprint booster goes in the middle of the gas pedal sensor and alter the signals sent out by the gas pedal angle. Sprint booster will alter this signal and fool the ECU by telling the ECU that the gas pedal was being depressed at a larger angle.

Before Install
E.g. When you press 20% of the gas pedal down, the gas pedal sensor will the signal to the ECU and the throttle body will open up 20%.

After Install
E.g. When you press 20% of the gas pedal down, the Sprint Booster will alther the signal from the gas pedal sensor and fool the ECU that the driver depressed 50% of the gas pedal. Hence, the throttle body will open up 50% or larger. Hence, the engine is producing more power with the 20% gas pedal depression.

The car magazine recorded a quicker time form 0-60 at 9.55s (before install) and 8.5s (after install)

*Note (from the article) -- This product is only providing an earlier Wide Open Throttle. No actual power being produced by the sprint booster. This product will provide you a "feeling" of quicker pickup, However, the price of the extra acceleration is the extra gasoline being burnt.

I havn't proof read my chingrish yet, but I hope you guys understand this more now. If you wanna read more about this Chinese article, please refer to Spec R Magaine of Taiwan, issue No. 103 Dated 2006 May Page 309.

^ If people think that I should just shut up and keep my negative comments to myself. Why? I know it's your money and you can choose to spend it by all means. But I'm just expressing my own knowledge about this product to the people who's interested. Why should I shut up when you feel like airing your comment?

^ By the way, I drive a 05' automatic 230K C Coupe in Canada (sometimes).

Thanks all.
BWCO
a 1 second gain? which car was this?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 AM
skr

'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
"The car magazine recorded a quicker time form 0-60 at 9.55s (before install) and 8.5s (after install)"

bwco,

A 1 second gain in acceleration is a huge improvement for $268USD & 15 minute install. Also this proves that "a heavy right foot" will not accomplish the same thing.

"-- Electronic throttle body : When the driver step on the gas pedal, the ECU calculate the gas pedal angle, then a proportion of the throttle body opens according to the amount you depressed the gas pedal. Signals being sent to many other related sensors and ECU's thereafter. Hence, you feel the lag in acceleration."

If the sprint booster can take away the "lag in acceleration" it is worth the money, because a driver on his/her own cannot.

So according to the article that you posted, it is obvious that this product is more than a placebo, it really does something.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by pugguy2001
I am still confused. Are you selling the aggresive ones with the check engine light that comes on. Or the new version which arent as aggresive and no check engine light? The aggressive ones sound like it would be better but if the check engine light comes one it would be annoying. How different is the aggresive version from the non agressive version?

pugguy2001,

I have used the aggressive ones from the 1st day I purchased it, I have not experienced any engine check light. Besides, I have regular service with the MB mechanics whom performed the Star Diag on my vehicle, no fault or failure codes were present.

Let me give you a kind of feel on the aggressive behaviour. For instance, you floor your gas pedal, the vehicle kind of downshifts, as you release your gas pedal, the vehicle stays at that specific gear which it downshifts (rpm decline is negligible). Whereas in the non aggressive mode, it doesn't behave in this manner....
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 AM

ctC230K,

Product has been shipped this morning..send you a PM.

Have fun with the sprint booster
Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by skr
"The car magazine recorded a quicker time form 0-60 at 9.55s (before install) and 8.5s (after install)"

bwco,

A 1 second gain in acceleration is a huge improvement for $268USD & 15 minute install. Also this proves that "a heavy right foot" will not accomplish the same thing.

"-- Electronic throttle body : When the driver step on the gas pedal, the ECU calculate the gas pedal angle, then a proportion of the throttle body opens according to the amount you depressed the gas pedal. Signals being sent to many other related sensors and ECU's thereafter. Hence, you feel the lag in acceleration."

If the sprint booster can take away the "lag in acceleration" it is worth the money, because a driver on his/her own cannot.

So according to the article that you posted, it is obvious that this product is more than a placebo, it really does something.
yeah, that magazine quote just made this whole thread totally pointless. it really is a useful product.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by slkfans
ctC230K,

Product has been shipped this morning..send you a PM.

Have fun with the sprint booster
wow its already 9pm there? thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
That article really oversimplifies things. Depressing the pedal by x% does not open the throttle by x%. The computer makes a decision on how much to open the throttle. Under different conditions, for example, depressing the throttle by 20% may open it by 10%, and other times depressing the throttle by 20% may only open the throttle by 5%. The greater the throttle angle the comptuer sees, the more likeley it is to open up the throttle by a greater %. That's where the sprint booster comes in. It modifies (increases) the throttle angle signal enough to make the computer more likeley to actually open the throttle like the driver is requesting.

The stuff about decreased gas milage is ridiculous if you think about it. When you mash the accelerator, you are TRYING to accelerate hard. The reason you are using more fuel is because with the sprintbooster, the car actually accelerates instead of just sitting there and thinking if it should downshift and open the throttle or not.
When the car does decide to let you accelerate hard, you use the same amount of fuel if you are stock or if you have the booster. When you drive normal (not trying to accelerate hard), there is no effect on fuel consumption.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
- Why didn't Mercedes put this "monster" device into their products? Answer: Because our "electronic" throttle pedals went throught hundreds and thousands of calculations with different sensors input in order to calculation the right amount of air and fuel in the engine. MB has their own " safety net" to protect the engine from blowing up. Do you guys know that?
I still laugh every time I read this.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by jgsx
actually i think it would be kind of neat if the engine blew up. i love fireworks and i bet an engine blowing up would make some nice fireworks! plus its under warranty so free new engine for me!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 PM

I just had to put in my 2c.
First please read "NO HP GAIN", even if a dyno was done it can't see throttle lag or lack there of so no more dyno stuff. Every time someone brings up the Sprint Booster the dyno stuff starts.
Second I don't think all the people who have purchased and installed one would B/S everyone about it, if it was "SNAKE OIL" we would say so.
Third it DOES NOT void warranty, period.
Fourth, you will have less MPG due to over use of the FUN foot.
Install one on your car and report you findings, then you will be speaking from an informed position until then you can only speak from a position with lacking knowledge of the facts.
I have installed it and it works, Period.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by ROWDY
Second I don't think all the people who have purchased and installed one would B/S everyone about it, if it was "SNAKE OIL" we would say so.
You are making a presumption about others. Based on your post is that really what you are trying to say?

No flame, but this forum has a history of just that. Whether this fits the category is what this thread is all about.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM

You may correct amdeutsch, maybe on both counts
1 - My presumption is about honesty, if I found something was B/S and a waste of money and time I would want all to know and beware - also I like to believe in the good in others
2 - Whether it fits the category well I'm not sure??
BUT - I chimed in because of the same ole same ole un informed for sureness.... I should have let it roll on but ....
Old 09-07-2006, 09:08 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by jgsx
sorry that my automotive knowledge is kinda limited while I knew that the alteration of any sort of signals on any kinda cars will results in some level of damage. I currently own a turbo car and by altering just the intake pipe will results in a burnt MAF or lean condition. Eventually blowing a cyclinder which further leads to a engine failure. So, you think that Mercedes engineer just sit there for nothing? So you're telling me that engines don't blow up? Or Mercedes engine never get to work as hard as the engines that I used to drive?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
sorry that my automotive knowledge is kinda limited while I knew that the alteration of any sort of signals on any kinda cars will results in some level of damage. I currently own a turbo car and by altering just the intake pipe will results in a burnt MAF or lean condition. Eventually blowing a cyclinder which further leads to a engine failure. So, you think that Mercedes engineer just sit there for nothing? So you're telling me that engines don't blow up? Or Mercedes engine never get to work as hard as the engines that I used to drive?
What does any of that have to do with the sprintbooster? IT ONLY MODIFIES THE THROTTLE SIGNAL TO THE COMPUTER!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 PM

10' GLK
Originally Posted by skr

bwco,

I'm sorry not to provide you with the entire article. But this page is a "Prodcuts page" which is usually sponsored by the producer of the product. I've worked with the magazine editors for my company before and I know how to make it look good with my own products too.

Also, forgot to inform you that, magazine editor did the 0-60 mile test, who knows how they came out with 9.55 sec and 8.5sec?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:16 PM

10' GLK
actually i think it would be kind of neat if the engine blew up. i love fireworks and i bet an engine blowing up would make some nice fireworks! plus its under warranty so free new engine for me!

I bet mercedes engine don't blow up eh. Oh, yeah this C230 engine is the best engine e-veer !
Old 09-07-2006, 09:20 PM

10' GLK
Last of all, you guys should really buy this Sprint Booster device, it's good for your car and it lowers your 1/4 time too. Group buy is good !

<Just to play around, sorry moderators, excuse me >

BiXenon Headlights w/ Philips Ultinon 6000K Bulbs
Clear Lens Fogs w/ CarLab 6000K HID Kit
PIAA Tera 5500K LED City Lights
Euro COMMAND w/ TVandNAV2go AV Kit
Argos Bluetooth Phone Kit
H&R Springs
TSW 19” Bremmas Wheels w/ Michelin PS2s
Flat MB Badge
CL Grille
ASP Overdrive Pullies
K&N Filters
Evosport Headers
SL55 Intake Splitter
Powerchip Stage II Software
Evosport Phenolic Spacer Kit
Resonator Delete
Sprintbooster <-- I still laugh every time I read this.

Last edited by bwco; 09-07-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Instead of mocking, explain how the sprintbooster removes the 'safety net' and can lead to probable engine failure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - Car behaving like a monster and hungry for speed