C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by revstriker
I spoke to him briefly this morning and he told me that it is "homemade" He said it uses the same locking mechanism as the original upright star.
Originally Posted by Blake P
I'm in as long as the price is reasonable ($50 or so). Also, see if it's possible to get the color in anything other than blue (I'm thinking black).
I'm just guessing, but if this is a "homemade" version of an OEM upright star (same lock mechanism, etc) it couldn't be just $50 if it uses a genuine OEM upright star as a part to start from.

Think about it... What does an OEM upright star cost from the dealer? $30-$40, depending on the dealer. And that's just the core piece. There's also cost for the star insert, whereever that comes from. Add to that the custom (one-off) labor to adapt it, shipping, etc.

So, imo, it can't be as cheap as that plastic SLK badge, or even $50. Not trying to be negative here, just pragmatic. To the good, if the badge is better made of quality materials, I think it would be worth it (whatever the price within reason). It sure beats buying an SLK Badge every other year...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 W202
Well, there's a guy named Mario selling "AMG" badges for $150. There are lots of AMG Badges, but I've never seen a "standard MB" badge like this one. See this thread...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/128761-flat-amg-hood-emblem.html

So, I think MB-Bob might be right. If it's more than $50, we can only hope it will be for less than $150, at least...

Last edited by Slim Pickens; 04-18-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Got some more info...

I spoke to my co-worker more about his badge. He got it locally from someone he knows. He gave me his contact info in case I wanted one. I contacted the guy and spoke to him briefly. He sort of does this on the side. He's a car nut (I told him about this forum and that he should check us out), and he does various stuff like this "for fun". He basically makes the stuff to order, so he doesn't have them sitting around. But he did say that he could make them pretty quick.

I know MB-BOB had expressed an interest, so I have put him in touch with this guy (not sure if he's contacted him yet). I think MB-BOB was interested in getting some detailed pictures of the badge. Also, I think MB-BOB is a little more educated in this stuff (mods) than I am, so perhaps when he gets more info, he can chime in with more details. All I can confirm is the "wow" factor. In person, it is a very nice badge that looks like it was put there by the factory. The colors are really cool too, especially up against the black car. If MB-BOB confirms that the quality is good, I am definitely going to get one (unless it costs more than $150 which I think is my limit on this).
Old 04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

150 is sky high.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by blume
150 is sky high.
Maybe it is. But I've seen other badges for around this price that don't look half as good. I know the plastic badge that you get from the dealer looks like crap (I don't know how much that costs, but whatever the price, its too much).

Anyway, I don't want to pay $150, and whatever the price is, I will have to consider it; value vs. price. I just meant that I will not pay more than $150, no matter how good it is.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have to say $150 is high, $50 is reasonable so I will retract my previous post about only paying $50, since this emblem is not mass produced and is of quality material then I am willing to pay a premium for it as I cannot find an OEM looking flat badge that also fits in the divot of the hood. So I am weighing what I desire and the supply, I am going to think twice about paying upwards of $100 for an emblem, but would eventually cough up the cash for it since this is the only option (so far).

MB-BOB please post/PM details when you find out about production!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by alboogiee
I would have to say $150 is high, $50 is reasonable so I will retract my previous post about only paying $50, since this emblem is not mass produced and is of quality material then I am willing to pay a premium for it as I cannot find an OEM looking flat badge that also fits in the divot of the hood. So I am weighing what I desire and the supply, I am going to think twice about paying upwards of $100 for an emblem, but would eventually cough up the cash for it since this is the only option (so far).
Sadly, I feel the same way.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage

MB-BOB please post/PM details when you find out about production!
Per the referral from Rev, I spoke with this fellow last night. He had enough materials on hand to make one more badge, and said he will have to research sources for more parts. He hasn't really thought about mass production. But if enough people express a serious interest, he said he will consider it.

So, since there is only one available right now, I couldn't resist speaking up for it, and hope to pick it up Saturday morning, in time to show it to folks at the Saturday Dallas GTG. Woopee!

And NO, I don't know the price yet.

This fella has a Mercedes as well, but didn't know about MBWorld. So I've suggested that he check in here and join, so he can answer everyone's questions directly. Very nice fellow on the phone. As I said I will meet him Saturday, so we'll see....
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
So, since there is only one available right now, I couldn't resist speaking up for it, and hope to pick it up Saturday morning, in time to show it to folks at the Saturday Dallas GTG.
keep us posted! take pics!

if you dont mind me asking what did he charge you for the last one?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Per the referral from Rev, I spoke with this fellow last night. He had enough materials on hand to make one more badge, and said he will have to research sources for more parts. He hasn't really thought about mass production. But if enough people express a serious interest, he said he will consider it.

So, since there is only one available right now, I couldn't resist speaking up for it, and hope to pick it up Saturday morning, in time to show it to folks at the Saturday Dallas GTG. Woopee! And NO, I don't know the price yet.

This fella has a Mercedes as well, but didn't know about MBWorld. So I've suggested that he check in here and join, so he can answer everyone's questions directly. Very nice fellow on the phone. As I said I will meet him Saturday, so we'll see....
MB-BOB, thanks for the info. Hopefully, you can bring it the next time we play golf so I can get a closer looksee.

This is pretty much my take on it as well. Aside from the look of it, I really like the fact that it's exclusive, since it is not mass produced. People that are in the know would notice something like this just as Slim did. Also, I'm not really someone into modifying my already perfect () ride, but this badge really does look like it belongs there. It's exclusive enough so that people like us would notice, yet it subtle enough where others would think it's a normal factory installed piece.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Um, I haven't bought anything from this person, yet. Not sure I follow you.

Originally Posted by revstriker
I really like the fact that it's exclusive, since it is not mass produced. People that are in the know would notice something like this just as Slim did... It's exclusive enough so that people like us would notice, yet it subtle enough where others would think it's a normal factory installed piece.
I agree with this. This guy told me he didn't want to make a ton of these (I think he said he didn't have the time to do so). So that will make them pretty exclusive.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 PM

C280 W202
Wow! A lot has happened on this since I last checked...

I agree with this. This guy told me he didn't want to make a ton of these (I think he said he didn't have the time to do so). So that will make them pretty exclusive.
Yes, indeed. That's my take on it too. I don't want to do much to my car as I'm not really into modding. But I can point to my "custom" flat badge and feel like I'm part of the crowd. hehe.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
keep us posted! take pics!

It's a co-worker of mine who has the one in the picture. He didn't tell me the cost, but rather, gave me the contact info of the guy who makes them.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Um, I haven't bought anything from this person, yet. Not sure I follow you.
I thought you had purchased the emblem already, I was wondering what he thought would be a fair price and what you paid.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I thought you had purchased the emblem already, I was wondering what he thought would be a fair price and what you paid.
Um, no, I haven't... yet. I'll know more on Saturday. However, if it looks as nice in person as in the pictures already posted, I already know I want this emblem, at any reasonable cost.

I've been looking for something just like this for nearly 5 years already. Time to splurge a bit for myself, and it's not like buying a set of rims, etc.

Stay tuned...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
checking in just to see what the cost of one would be.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by phattbam
checking in just to see what the cost of one would be.
no word yet...see the previous 19 posts for details...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I'm curious how this badge is different from the factory CLS one???? And, why wouldn't a factory CLS badge work???? Now if you could get one in black instead of blue.............now that's a different story!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SteveL1
I'm curious how this badge is different from the factory CLS one???? And, why wouldn't a factory CLS badge work???? Now if you could get one in black instead of blue.............now that's a different story!
I don’t know the exact size of the CLS flat badge, but after scouring photos of the front of the CLS it appears that the badge is the same size as the other MB plastic badges, the divot is only bigger to incorporate the badge.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I don’t know the exact size of the CLS flat badge, but after scouring photos of the front of the CLS it appears that the badge is the same size as the other MB plastic badges, the divot is only bigger to incorporate the badge.
I'm glad you said this. I thought the same thing. So, I went by a home last night to look at a new R-Class with the sunken badge. The R was in the driveway as always, but pointed toward the house. I decided I didn't have the courage to get out of the car (after dark) and walk up the driveway to look. Homeowners can shoot peeps in Texas for stuff like this. So I didn't. Just call me chicken...

Long story short, I think you're right that the CLS, the R and the new GL use the standard 2.25" plastic badge found on all the other coupes. This is not a solution to finding a badge that fits into the 1.75" divot on the standard sedans. I will see an R-Class close up Saturday for sure, and know where a CLS lives, too, so I hope to confirm our suspicions then.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I've been told that he G-Class flat badge is smaller and may fit our recess.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
if I remember to, I'll ask Steve, MBSvcAdv, when I see him later (today, hopefully! They have my car!). He has an R-class and, of course, there are lots of CLS's at the dallas dealership. I bet he would know about the GL, too...

...but I will probably forget
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I picked up the new flat badge today in Grapevine, in time to have it for the Dallas GTG. Several people at the meet had a chance to see it in person. Here it is on my car...
Attached Thumbnails NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-newbadge06-c.jpg  
Old 04-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
BTW, I looked at Steve's new R-Class -- wow -- nice car.

Its badge is the standard 2.25" plastic badge used on the coupes. It looks different because it sits in a tightly fitting divot in the hood rather than sitting on top, as it does on the coupes. I also found a CLS last night. Same 2.25" badge, mounted same way as the R.

As we've all known, it's too big to fit into the 1.75" divot on the C-Class sedan, or the E-Class, or the S-Class, etc. Looking at the front view of the new GL on the MBUSA website, I'd bet it uses the same 2.25" badge.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
I picked up the new flat badge today in Grapevine, in time to have it for the Dallas GTG. Several people at the meet had a chance to see it in person. Here it is on my car...
nice! it looks great! any info on pricing?

also, it looks like the laurel is made from the standard upright star and that he hollowed it out or took off the portion that the star connects to and added the center piece...

any more info? thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!