C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 W202
Yes. That badge looks wonderful, doesn't it. Much better pic than mine of the E-CLass.

Any more word on this guy's willingness to make more? Price, etc?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I picked up the new flat badge today in Grapevine, in time to have it for the Dallas GTG. Several people at the meet had a chance to see it in person. Here it is on my car...
BOB, that's hot! please, if the guy is willing to produce them PM me!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by nlpamg
nice! it looks great! Also, it looks like the laurel is made from the standard upright star and that he hollowed it out or took off the portion that the star connects to and added the center piece...
I think you've got it completely.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
any info on pricing?
OK, about the price. Honestly, I think I should leave it to this fellow to talk about any pricing, as he is investigating ways to trim his costs. At present, it's an assembly of two OEM parts, bought at retail, plus some custom parts that replace the springs inside (hard to explain). So, what he might offer in limited production could cost less, or what I paid. Point is, it's too early to tell, and inappropriate for me to spill any beans that might set expectations that can/can't be met. Hope this makes sense.

At this point, I will consider it a success if revstriker and I can:

1) talk him into making a few more, and
2) joining the forums to represent himself. (At that point, I think he would be able to address price, availability, etc.)

In the meantime, if you like what you see, please post your comments here. We can refer this thread to him and it might help us convince him to do step #2, at least. Sound like a plan?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
I think you've got it completely.

OK, about the price. Honestly, I think I should leave it to this fellow to talk about any pricing, as he is investigating ways to trim his costs. At present, it's an assembly of two OEM parts, bought at retail, plus some custom parts that replace the springs inside (hard to explain). So, what he might offer in limited production could cost less, or what I paid. Point is, it's too early to tell, and inappropriate for me to spill any beans that might set expectations that can/can't be met. Hope this makes sense.

At this point, I will consider it a success if revstriker and I can:

1) talk him into making a few more, and
2) joining the forums to represent himself. (At that point, I think he would be able to address price, availability, etc.)

In the meantime, if you like what you see, please post your comments here. We can refer this thread to him and it might help us convince him to do step #2, at least. Sound like a plan?
I'm in for either 1 or 2! thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,122 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
My ears have been tingly all week, and now I know why...

Hello all. I am the guy who makes the WHITE STAR FLAT BADGE. So far there are only two in circulation. The pictures below are of #2, now on MB-BOB's car. Basically, this part will fit any Mercedes-Benz sedan that uses the #210 880 01 86 upright star, because it is made from this OEM part. So this will fit any C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, or other car that uses the current stand-up star.

I have a small machine shop in my garage. After disassembling the OEM star, I machine the socket required to accommodate a White Star insert. This White Star insert is also machined from a Mercedes Key fob. I have to cast a tan plug, which holds the mount lock in place, and reassemble everything. The whole process takes about 4 hours.

The key fob used to make the insert is no longer sold by Mercedes in the size that fits this application, so that is why there are only two complete assemblies to date. I am waiting to hear back from another source that I hope can make the star inserts for me. Once I have their bid, I can place an order for these parts. Then, after the parts arrive, I can make some more White Star Flat Badges. The net of this is that it will take some time.

While I am waiting for all this, I have found a possible interim source that might offer 2-3 more stars. I hope to know more by next weekend (May 1).

So, until I have a tangible bid for the star inserts, I won't be able to make any more, or offer a reliable estimate of price. I had hoped to line up these sources before my work was discovered on the street, but you folks are too observant, so now I am in a bind to get parts. Hopefully it won't take too long.

I don't want to make too many of these. Maybe 10-25 or so. I have to make these on the weekend. Otherwise I just don't have the time.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail to dfwdude@tx.rr.com and I will add you to a waiting list and answer questions the best I can. For the moment, that's the best I can do. Sorry.

Happy now, MB-BOB?
Attached Thumbnails NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-dude-1.jpg   NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-dude-2.jpg   NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-dude-3.jpg  

Last edited by DFWdude; 04-23-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
^^^ wow.. All I can say is just that. great craftsmanship.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Well you know I'm interested! Hopefully, I'm somewhere near the top of the list! This may sound kind of silly, but I'm even more interested in it knowing that there will only be 25-30 made.

I would have snagged the one MB-BOB ended up with, but I know he's been interested in a flat badge that would sit in the divot of the upright star. I know we've had many conversations about this over the past few years.

DFWdude, that is a really nice looking piece! It sounds like you put a lot of thought and effort into the design and manufacturing of that piece.

Also...... welcome to our forum!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by DFWdude
If you are interested, please send me an e-mail to dfwdude@comcast.net and I will add you to a waiting list and answer questions the best I can. For the moment, that's the best I can do. Sorry.

Happy now, MB-BOB?
hehe, yes, I am happy now, and the forums are happy to have you join us. It appears the members like your work, and if you can resolve your parts supply issue, they will like the finished product as well. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 PM

2003 C230 Sedan
Thumbs up

That thing looks like awesome quality. Nice work!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 PM

asll i can say is...due to the exclusiveness, number them, signature them, make as much as you can, then try to sell the idea to MB
Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by Blake P
I've been told that he G-Class flat badge is smaller and may fit our recess.
I visited my local dealer today to pick up an oil filter...

I checked out the CLS, R, and GLs on the lot. All of them use the standard 2.25" coupe badge, each within a hood divot of corresponding size. So I can confirm none of these flat badges will fit like this new one does.

This new badge is 1.75" meaning the divot is also of that size.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C230 Kompressor
I've got one on my car, it diffently changes the look without the big-bling emblem.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Folks, here's a quick update...

1) I have located an acceptable source of OEM upright stars. So, I have bought 5 of these and they sit idle in my shop for now.

2) I have found a company to make the White Star Inserts. I have to send them a sample of what I want before they will offer a concrete bid. So, as soon as I can locate a key fob in good shape that I can alter and send to them, I will. This could take a few days or several weeks. I'll keep you posted here.

The waiting list is 8 deep at the moment (thanks guys) and is a manageable amount for me. Anyone else interested should e-mail me at DFWdude@tx.rr.com

BTW, some have e-mailed me to ask if you could send me the upright star from your cars to alter, thus lowering the expense. This would be fine with me. We can arrange the procedure later. The primary focus at the moment is getting the inserts into production. I hope you all will be patient with this.

Last edited by DFWdude; 04-30-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
It occurs to me maybe you guys can help find this key fob? It is Mercedes Part #6604-3228... HOWEVER, it is the older version, that measures 1.5" in diameter. The smaller size currently offered at the dealers will NOT work.

This can be a used fob, so the outer ring in blue can be scuffed, etc. But the area inside the yellow circle must be in excellent condition. No dents, scratches, chips, etc. The white surface of the star could have a scratch or two (I'll be removing the white paint anyway to make a master), as long as such blemishes don't extend onto the chrome areas of the tri-star. The more pristine, the better. The fob could be either silver or gold plated... either will work.

I had two of these fobs myself. But as mentioned elsewhere, both have been used on the two badges already in circulation. If anyone has one of these in great shape or knows where to find a few, I can push this project forward faster. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-keyfob-3.jpg  

Last edited by DFWdude; 04-30-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
An update...

I did find another key fob for the insert last week. So I spent a portion of the Mem. Day weekend milling it to size and casting a mold of it. I've spent the last couple days pouring plastic replicas for a duplication master. With practice, I think I will have a casting good to go by the weekend. Then, I will send that offshore for duplication, plating, painting, etc. Having taken so long to find a new master, I can't afford to send the original, in case it never returns, or gets lost in transit.

Meantime, thanks for your patience in waiting on this. It's taking far longer than I ever hoped.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DFWdude
An update...

I did find another key fob for the insert last week. So I spent a portion of the Mem. Day weekend milling it to size and casting a mold of it. I've spent the last couple days pouring plastic replicas for a duplication master. With practice, I think I will have a casting good to go by the weekend. Then, I will send that offshore for duplication, plating, painting, etc. Having taken so long to find a new master, I can't afford to send the original, in case it never returns, or gets lost in transit.

Meantime, thanks for your patience in waiting on this. It's taking far longer than I ever hoped.
good news!! the wait is worthwhile for this exclusive item!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Here's an update, folks...

I got terribly off-track since my last posting... I've been grappling with rebuilding my PC after a Trojan Virus attack, so combined with 10-hours of overtime at work, I just resumed the project this weekend. Thought you might like to see a photo of the new White Star insert. This is a casting... An example of the blank casting is in the background. The finished version after machining is in front.

I will send this offshore for duplication, plating and painting this week. I have no idea how long it will take to ship to China, get produced in quantity and returned to me. Thanks for everyone's patience.
Attached Thumbnails NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!-new-insert-casting.jpg  
Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
great to see this progress! You're doing a mighty fine job, there. I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say we greatly appreciate your efforts and cannot wait to see the final product!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
wow. that's pretty awesome. I can't wait to see what they come out like.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:18 PM

C280 W202
Hey DFWDude... Any update on this project? I'm hopping from one foot to another in anticipation!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Slim, I'm sorry it's taking so long. I sent off the master insert to China on June 20, and I am waiting to hear from them that they received it. I sent it USPS "Air Mail" which was my only option, but it seems like it's taken the "slow boat," or at least that's how it feels.

I'm hoping to receive word this week that it has arrived so I can wire-transfer payment and get the show on the road. That's all I know for now.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
I received an e-mail from the factory on Friday (July 7th), saying that they received the master sample. They are going to make a pre-production example for my approval. I hadn't expected this, but I like the offer, because I will know what I'm getting from them. Nice, professional touch, I think.

No word on how long this will take, but it appears we're moving forward at least.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-09-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Please put me on a list to be one of the first to purchase one. Looks very nice!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
good to hear of this positive update.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 AM

2006 C230 2.5 V6
How does tis flat hood badge differ from what can be bought at formymercedes.com?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: NEW Mercedes-Benz White Star Flat Hood Badge for C-Class W203!