C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: exhaust for sound,looks & finish
remus
20.00%
supersprint
80.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C350 SS
Originally Posted by Chadski350Sport
I'm running the Mangaflow (resonator delete) and absolutely LOVE it. Feels great and sounds even better. Like I said and not to toot my own horn - but I constantly get compliments from people specifically on my exhaust and quesitons about how and what I run on my car. A handful of the people I've raced have complimented the sound of it as well. PERSONAL OPINION - WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING
Also, could be a big difference due to having the large 3.5L V6 as opposed to the smaller engines...but it sounds like a big mean euro machine
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
why would you not put a magnaflow on your car? why does it matter if it was made for the car or not? the muffler magnaflow uses on the premade bmw system is just the same muffler as all of the rest of theirs. all of their mufflers are just straight through perforated (*sp?) pipe with stainless wool/packing- all within a stainless muffler case? the only thing that's "made" for the car is the piping- which any competent shop can do.

also, for the OP- here are a couple sound clips of anthuny85's magnaflow/res delete setup.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=MOV00078.flv
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=MOV00061.flv
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=MOV00081.flv
How is a universal magnaflow just the same? That's just my personal preference. I wouldn't do it. I've seen/heard too many magnaflow exhausts in my lifetime and don't like the sound at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 AM

05.C230K.SS
I'm running the Mangaflow (resonator delete) and absolutely LOVE it. Feels great and sounds even better. Like I said and not to toot my own horn - but I constantly get compliments from people specifically on my exhaust and quesitons about how and what I run on my car. A handful of the people I've raced have complimented the sound of it as well. PERSONAL OPINION - WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING

What was the product series/name or whatever was your magnaflow? How much was it, and also how much was it to install?

oh and one more thing, is it possible to delete the resonator on a stock exhaust? if so, does it make a difference in the sound of the car?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
Originally Posted by drexappeal
How is a universal magnaflow just the same? That's just my personal preference. I wouldn't do it. I've seen/heard too many magnaflow exhausts in my lifetime and don't like the sound at all.
i'm not knocking your preference at all. just look at their magnaflow's) site though- all of their mufflers use the same straight through design with some packing around them. much like Borla, Mac, Flow- the only difference in any muffler in each of their respective series is the offset of the inlet and outlet. the muffler itself is all the same. the only difference in their premade kits is the tubing that's connected to each end of the muffler.

general statement- not replying to drex
besides just wanting the "name brand"- i see no reason to get one of the high priced mufflers. especially when they have been proven not to make much of any power- it's mainly for sound. you can get a custom stainless setup and an ecu tune for the price of any of the "name brands". the only way i would go after one of the tuner/name brands is if i was able to find a used system.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
i'm not knocking your preference at all. just look at their magnaflow's) site though- all of their mufflers use the same straight through design with some packing around them. much like Borla, Mac, Flow- the only difference in any muffler in each of their respective series is the offset of the inlet and outlet. the muffler itself is all the same. the only difference in their premade kits is the tubing that's connected to each end of the muffler.

general statement- not replying to drex
besides just wanting the "name brand"- i see no reason to get one of the high priced mufflers. especially when they have been proven not to make much of any power- it's mainly for sound. you can get a custom stainless setup and an ecu tune for the price of any of the "name brands". the only way i would go after one of the tuner/name brands is if i was able to find a used system.
magnaflow, borla and other universal mufflers may use the same type of "design" and "packing", but that doesn't mean it's a "perfect" or easy setup for exhaust shops. In this case, we know that others have gotten a magnaflow universal and it has worked. We know what you like and that's fine. We know how you feel about it and that's fine too. Also keep in mind that you are in St. Louis, so what may be the preference over there, isn't exactly the same here in L.A.

REMUS exhausts are not exspensive. They have a muffler setup designed specifically for the w203 and if it creates less "custom" work for a shop, that means less money to pay them for install. Only reason NOT to go this route is if you're not willing to do research. It would cost the same to get a REMUS as it would a Magnaflow, if you search well.

FYI - One of the top exhaust shops in L.A. (AAA Mufflers) specifically mentioned that they DON'T carry magnaflow because it's cheaply made. Just reporting what was told to me by the "experts."
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
in STL- the preference is candy paint, 24's, and stupid straight pipes

(for discussion sake- not picking at you and your exhaust preference)
i prefer a flow over a magnaflow for the simple fact they don't have packing that can eventually blow out. although- the welds of a magnaflow do look pretty good and they offer a lifetime warranty. by the shape of the supersprint's case- i would guess it's some sort of packing in there also. how are the remus and eisenmann put together? are they something like a flow- they have diverters/shields (not sure what they are called) that direct the flow and sound? ultimately what i would like to understand is why remus, eisenmann, and SS are so expensive. flowmasters are made by hand, all welded, and no packing. it seems they would have had just as much R&D in them as the others. even though the case is a different size/shape- the overall design/technology would be pretty much the same in the other mufflers. is it the costs of importing/shipping? flow and magnaflow wouldn't have to deal with that since they are both made in the usa.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
then again- maybe i just need to take my own advice from my post in the k&n debate thread that is currently going on.........
Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

in STL- the preference is candy paint, 24's, and stupid straight pipes

(for discussion sake- not picking at you and your exhaust preference)
i prefer a flow over a magnaflow for the simple fact they don't have packing that can eventually blow out. although- the welds of a magnaflow do look pretty good and they offer a lifetime warranty. by the shape of the supersprint's case- i would guess it's some sort of packing in there also. how are the remus and eisenmann put together? are they something like a flow- they have diverters/shields (not sure what they are called) that direct the flow and sound? ultimately what i would like to understand is why remus, eisenmann, and SS are so expensive. flowmasters are made by hand, all welded, and no packing. it seems they would have had just as much R&D in them as the others. even though the case is a different size/shape- the overall design/technology would be pretty much the same in the other mufflers. is it the costs of importing/shipping? flow and magnaflow wouldn't have to deal with that since they are both made in the usa.
Don't know how bad it is in St. Louis, but in Cali there are regulations for exhaust. It has to meet a certain decible level in order to pass, otherwise you get a fix-it ticket (also depends on how strict cops are in the specific area of L.A.). That's why I was saying that the standards in St. Louis might not be the same. Having an overbearingly loud exhaust, which is normally produced by exhaust setups with straight pipes and/or mufflers with minimal packing draws more attention to the cops than setups that have less packing.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM

05.C230K.SS
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Don't know how bad it is in St. Louis, but in Cali there are regulations for exhaust. It has to meet a certain decible level in order to pass, otherwise you get a fix-it ticket (also depends on how strict cops are in the specific area of L.A.). That's why I was saying that the standards in St. Louis might not be the same. Having an overbearingly loud exhaust, which is normally produced by exhaust setups with straight pipes and/or mufflers with minimal packing draws more attention to the cops than setups that have less packing.
Where is AAA Mufflers in LA? And if i get a REMUS exhaust for the w203 and hav em install it on my car, how much would it cost?

oh and again btw, is it anyway possible to delete the resonator on a stock exhaust? If so, does it sound any good at all esp. on a 4-cyl. ?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM

2002 C240 with Tein S-Tech springs, AMG VI Reps, and Grille Kit
Rocafel1a, I am looking at the Magnaflow 14815 on ebay and they are going for $165 they are around $300 if you get em from a shop or magnaflow. I really like the sound. It sounds deep and not too loud. Just look at youtube and there are vids of c240s and c320s with magnaflows and they sound sick.
Getting a muffler welded in shouldn't cost more than $100 bucks most places. Maybe $150 with the resonator delete. All they do is cut it out and put a straight pipe where it was. The only problem with pricing is that a lot of places see us Benz owners coming from a mile away and like to try to make more money off of us.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
magnaflow will drone if there isn't enough flow. i.e. when crusing it drones like no other. I would prefer Borla whoever decide to custom their own.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
although a different engine- the first exhaust i had on my focus was magnaflow and it too droned like crazy. i have steeda on it now, and it's much better.

the flowmaster on my c230 is really odd. at warm idle- you can't hardly tell it's there. accelerating it has a great sounding tone/volume, then it quiets down somewhere around 4k on up to 5k, then the volume comes back again. i really like it. the tone and the volume are perfect. the volume while going a constant speed is good too. it only drones when the rpms are held low under a load- like when climbing a hill and/or prior to downshifting- and even that isn't bad.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM

2006 C350 SS
Originally Posted by Benzo_240
Rocafel1a, I am looking at the Magnaflow 14815 on ebay and they are going for $165 they are around $300 if you get em from a shop or magnaflow. I really like the sound. It sounds deep and not too loud. Just look at youtube and there are vids of c240s and c320s with magnaflows and they sound sick.
Getting a muffler welded in shouldn't cost more than $100 bucks most places. Maybe $150 with the resonator delete. All they do is cut it out and put a straight pipe where it was. The only problem with pricing is that a lot of places see us Benz owners coming from a mile away and like to try to make more money off of us.
Where are you located? My shop reccomended the Magnaflow for my car and works with a lot of Mercedes tuners...a RennTech guy is practically next door from them and gives them a little direction with what to do on the Benz's. After hearing all the different clips and what not...I prefer my sounds over ALL others and once again it could be a little different due to the C350 vs. otehr engines...but it's a cheap custom set-up and I'm extremely pleased. I called my guy who owns the shop yesterday and we're converting to dual as soon as my C63 Rear Diffuser gets in - hopefully next week CANT WAIT!

Good luck with the exhaust though and when I go see them...or if I can dig it up before...I'll get the Magnaflow model # for you...

Going in the the first day to delete the Res and looking at the different exhaust set-ups...I thought "NO WAY will I throw and American made Magnflow on my new Benz.." but WOW was I wrong
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
OT, but I thought you were going to sell your car? Decide against it I see
Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 PM

2006 C350 SS
Hahah YUP! I'm moving out of my current place and gonna save some money...well if you call "saving" money dumping everything into my car over the next 5-6 months

CANT WAIT! Hahaha

I should have the Dual exhaust (Quad tips) and C63 Diffuser Mod done within the next two weeks...then I need to find an extra Brabus Mono 6 Front wheel...then suspensionnnnn! I really really wana get this moving
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM

2002 C240 with Tein S-Tech springs, AMG VI Reps, and Grille Kit
Where are you located? My shop reccomended the Magnaflow for my car and works with a lot of Mercedes tuners...a RennTech guy is practically next door from them and gives them a little direction with what to do on the Benz's. After hearing all the different clips and what not...I prefer my sounds over ALL others and once again it could be a little different due to the C350 vs. otehr engines...but it's a cheap custom set-up and I'm extremely pleased. I called my guy who owns the shop yesterday and we're converting to dual as soon as my C63 Rear Diffuser gets in - hopefully next week CANT WAIT!

Good luck with the exhaust though and when I go see them...or if I can dig it up before...I'll get the Magnaflow model # for you...

Going in the the first day to delete the Res and looking at the different exhaust set-ups...I thought "NO WAY will I throw and American made Magnflow on my new Benz.." but WOW was I wrong
I am in New Mexico. Exhaust work is pretty cheap here. On the vids I saw the sound is pretty similar; the c320 is a little deeper than the c240.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by rocafel1a
Where is AAA Mufflers in LA? And if i get a REMUS exhaust for the w203 and hav em install it on my car, how much would it cost?

oh and again btw, is it anyway possible to delete the resonator on a stock exhaust? If so, does it sound any good at all esp. on a 4-cyl. ?
It's on La Cienega off the 10 freeway. They have a website, just can't remember the URL off the top of my head.

Can't quote you a price, but they can give you a quote if you call.

Yes. I have did a resonator delete and they replaced all the piping from where the resonator connected to the muffler for me. More expensive, but even width throughout. The OEM muffler piping actually chokes to a smaller diameter than the remainder of the piping. Sounds awesome on my car with the Kleemann muffler.

Remus is a little quieter than the Kleemann on the m271's, so the resonator delete should get a deeper tone to the exhaust.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
i have a magnaflow with circle tips, looks great and sounds siick yes i took out the resonator also. it's def the best bang for the buck. mine doenst drone too bad

sounds very deep i dk maybe i have a 320?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM

05.C230K.SS
So it's impossible to delete the resonator off the stock exhaust of a c230k?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by rocafel1a
So it's impossible to delete the resonator off the stock exhaust of a c230k?
Just 2005 is more difficult. The change they made to the exhaust on 2005 models was instead of placing a resonator on the car, they made it a secondary cat. That is something that has been debated for quite some time, but it seems to be more of a reality the more the 2005 owners are modding.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

2006 C350 SS
Some advice requested for those who would like to give some input

Okay so once I receive the C63 Diffuser - I'm going to be converting to a Dual-Exhaust set up...What do you guys think of running another set of these tips (the Dual Tip SilverLine) vs. whatever else might be out there?

I personally like the look but I know there's a lot out there...What do you guys think of ordering the other tip or just going with a whole new look??? Also, if different...any suggestions on what tips to go to???

Thanks for the help guys and I can't WAIT for this mod!

-Chad
Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 PM

MK IV .:R32
Just 2005 is more difficult. The change they made to the exhaust on 2005 models was instead of placing a resonator on the car, they made it a secondary cat. That is something that has been debated for quite some time, but it seems to be more of a reality the more the 2005 owners are modding.

So I have had my 2005 for a few months and I think that its time that the car had some noise. I was planning on just getting a res. delete until I could get enough $ for a nice exhaust

But, what you said has made me a little nervous. Do you think that I will get a different sound because I will be replacing a cat. not a res. with straight pipe? Also, will it have more of an effect with regards to back pressure and such because cats. are soooo restrictive to airflow?

thanx
Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
2005 they got rid of the res and added a second cat...

i guess when 2006 came- they decided they wanted both. my car (v6) had 2 primary cats, 2 secondary cats, a resonator, then muffler.

in reference to the tip question from chad- i would just get another set of tips like you currently have. but that's just me- i'm cheap. i like to save a dollar when i can
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

2005 they got rid of the res and added a second cat...

i guess when 2006 came- they decided they wanted both. my car (v6) had 2 primary cats, 2 secondary cats, a resonator, then muffler.

in reference to the tip question from chad- i would just get another set of tips like you currently have. but that's just me- i'm cheap. i like to save a dollar when i can

The reason 2006 has 2 primary cats and 2 secondary cats is because the 2006 is a v6.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
What up guys, about a week ago, i decided i wanted to do something with the exhaust. After looking around i finally decided to go with a dual look/style exhaust, similar to SilverC230ss - thanks again for the info After talking to a few muffler shops, i went over to AAA muffler shop off La Cienega & Venice(the only shop i felt comfortable doing this at.)

They cut piping after the 2nd cat i believe, mandrel bent the pipes into a magnaflow muffler, ran the right side outlet between the spare tire and bumper into silverline oval tips. They did the right side cutout, which looks great.

I think it sounds good. I didn't want it too loud, so its perfect for me.. Here are some pics....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Aftermarket Exhaust Thread - All you want to know