C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Story to tell, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Story to tell, please help!

I bought a C240 back a month ago, and had a terrible experience. I drove off in a brand new showroom car and after one day started noticing things wrong with the car such as over-spray on windows and on paint. Everyday a new cosmetic problem was found on the car. I spoke to the dealer several times and they always told me that there was spraying of paint on their lot and new cars got sprayed! Well, I finally had enough and looked the car over extensively and proved that the car had been repainted on at least one panel! I was then shown the body shop repair invoice (even after being told that the dealer checked the cars record from factory and no damage was ever recorded).
I wanted out of the deal since I could not trust the dealer and got a refund. I had to deal with at least two weeks of headaches, bad moods, and just a plain bad situation and in the end was stuck without a car or a deal (no other option was given since "I expect perfection"!).
This is the gist of a long story, but all in all, their was a lot of deceit and lying on part of the dealer. I informed MBUSA and there response was it is a private dealer, they are not responsible! I am upset that MB would handle the situation like this. I would like to ask what anyone believes is a good next step, getting a lawyer involved, state agencies, or just never consider any MB product in future purchases of mine and never give the brand another thought! (plenty of other manufacturers to pick up the slack).
Thanks,

Old 09-12-2002, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
since you returned your car and got your money back... you're SOL on getting anything from the legal system - unless you can prove painT and suffering ... sorry couldn't resist!

Seriousy though.. you settled. Nothing is left to be done. So move on.

You need to realize that MB is right to the degree that it is a private dealer... go to another one. I for one, switched brands (BMW to MB) because i got tired of BMW's BS. Who wants to wait 12-18 months for a car (try - just try getting an M5 in a day). If you don't wanna wait - please pony up $20-30k on top of list! yea right!

That coupled with their new fangled - read: UGLY - designs... I am outta there. I am VERY happy with my Coupy and look forward to other MB cars in the future.

Don't let a dealer spoil your desire for a brand. MB can't police everyone so I'd say give them the benefit of the doubt.

P
Old 09-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K, 325iT
First thought: This really stinks, and I would be equally ticked off. Some amount of overspray is understandable, however if my "new" car was painted, I would expect to be told. (If it was minor, I would probably still take the car, at a well-negotiated discount).

Second thought: (and you may not like this one) Let it go. It sounds like you were able to get a refund, so ultimately you didn't get stuck with the car. MBUSA's take on this isn't surprising, and is pretty typical of manufacturer's attitudes toward their independently owned and operated dealerships. Take your money elsewhere - either a different dealer or different car altogether. Get a new car, enjoy it, and don't look back. Involving a lawyer at this point would only prolong the agony, and I doubt you'd get much (if anything) in return. (If it makes you feel any better, the dealer may lose money taking your car back and having to re-sell it, probably as a used car or demo).

Good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
peet, you went from an M5 shopper to a C230 shopper? were you in a dot-com or something?
Old 09-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I agree with MR325i. Although it was a bad situation, you at least got out of it without loosing anything. You may want to report the dealer to the BBB, but aside from that, I think you should just move on. I can't say that I think that MBUSA handled it in the best way, but since you returned the car and got your money back, there's probably not too much they can do.

Hope this doesn't turn you off of MB. Good luck in the future....
Old 09-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
MB didn't treat you any differently than any other car make, and some would say MB treated you better. (Frankly, and it needs to be said, if you are as picky as you say you are, then it's up to you to inspect the car to your absolute satisfaction before driving it off the lot.) Some dealers and their manufacturers could simply have said "caveat emptor" and shown you the door. MB didn't do that.

I would count my lucky stars that I was relieved of the situation and move on, but I certainly wouldn't hold a grudge against MB.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:58 PM

C230 C-Coupe
I had a situation with a dealer which resulted in me being refunded my money back. MBUSA would not get invloved, stating they sell the cars to resellers (dealers), and that's their relationship. MB can refuse to sell them cars, but they would have to receive tons of complaints to do this.

I had alot of greif but ended up buying exactly what I wanted for less somewhere else. Once you have the car you cherish you will forget about them and be happy with what you got.

One word of advice, do not take your car for service at that place.

Nathan
Old 09-12-2002, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
MB didn't treat you any differently than any other car make, and some would say MB treated you better. (Frankly, and it needs to be said, if you are as picky as you say you are, then it's up to you to inspect the car to your absolute satisfaction before driving it off the lot.) Some dealers and their manufacturers could simply have said "caveat emptor" and shown you the door. MB didn't do that.
I'm not sure it's that simple. I believe there are laws which state that a dealer must disclose any (major) damage on a new car that has been repaired. There was a case years ago where a bunch of new BMW's were severly damaged in transit, were fixed and sold as new. Uh-uh, I agree you must look the vehicle over, but they should have disclosed the damage.

Originally posted by MR325iT
Some amount of overspray is understandable...
I agree w/ everything you said except this. I wouldn't expect any evidence of overspray or other paint correction on a brand new car...
Old 09-12-2002, 05:34 PM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. However, you are lucky to have had the situation resolved so quickly. I had problems with an Audi A4 that were life safety issues and it took over 4 months to get the manufacturer to agree to repurchase the car. It sounds like you got your money back, and as they say "no harm, no foul". Dealers are independent and vary greatly from one to the next as to how they operate and treat people. MBUSA will not take responsibility for the action of a dealer. Given enough complaints towards a particular dealer they may decrease their allotment, but that's generally about it. Go get you another MB at another dealer - if you're that pissed off get another marque.

If I may digress for a moment, the attitude of what legal avenues can you pursue after the situation is resolved is part of the problem in the US. Quite frankly, too many frivolous lawsuits. In this situation things are as they were before the deal, you lost no money, they have a highly suspect car they may have difficulty selling - let it go! You got the best outcome one could hope for, a quick, fair settlement.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:49 PM

In the "don't just get headaches, give headaches too", there are a few things you can try. While you might not have any legal redress since you got your money back, you can still right to every regulatory, compliance, licensing agency that governs the dealer. Try sending letters to the BBB, the state AG/consumer protection folks, the DMV (if they license the dealer), any dealer professional organizations, etc.

At the very least, the dealership will have to take some time to respond to any of the agencies that license them.

You might also talk to a local newspaper, since I doubt you are the sole recipient of such funky behavior.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:52 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
well, it shouldn't be a surprise that most of the people know NOT, i repeat NOT, to buy showroom conditioned NEW car. Showroom car is often the worth conditioned NEW car one can find in any dealership. The reason being that in the showroom, customer would have chances to mess with the car more than those on the lot, and of course, some customer bring their kids with them. Need i say more?

Unless you are at some Exotic car dealers which they have all of their cars in the showroom, and they don't allow people to touch them.

Since you have already return the car and got the refund. There is nothing that you can argue anymore.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Settle in the court!

Settle down your case in the court. That's only way you can do now. MBUSA and MB Canada are both liars and the most irresponsible manufacturer in the world.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Settle in the court!

Originally posted by ahwang
Settle down your case in the court. That's only way you can do now. MBUSA and MB Canada are both liars and the most irresponsible manufacturer in the world.
How can he do this if he already agreed to a settlement (returned car for full refund)??
Old 09-13-2002, 10:22 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
I echo what revstriker said, what is there to settle on? He has his money back, htye have their car back. Leave it at that. Don't file a frivolous lawsuit - what would the grounds be? Why waste any more time and money on an issue that's passe'?
Old 09-13-2002, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by MarkL
I'm not sure it's that simple. I believe there are laws which state that a dealer must disclose any (major) damage on a new car that has been repaired. There was a case years ago where a bunch of new BMW's were severly damaged in transit, were fixed and sold as new. Uh-uh, I agree you must look the vehicle over, but they should have disclosed the damage.

I agree w/ everything you said except this. I wouldn't expect any evidence of overspray or other paint correction on a brand new car...
It depends on the state. Plus it depends on if it happened before shipping or after shipping. Then you must add in wheather it was fixed locally or by the manufacturer. If it is fixed by the manufacturer at the plant, it could be said it was not really damaged, as it may have never left the factory. In any case the amount of damage depends on state laws. In NYS it is $2500 or more that must be disclosed, any less and that can be ignored. Some states it is a percentage of the cost of the car. And one panel being painted is not anywhere near $2500 in damage, at dealer or manufacturer cost.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the help people, I have to agree with most of you; but it sucked getting an ulcer worrying about this situation, glad it is done with. I only got MBUSA involved to notify them of the dealer's action and ask for them to prove MB vehicles are really all that they are craked up to be. Obviously, they would not do that, and I will happily take my business elsewhere. Too bad, it is a nice car, but given problems with reliability, and such (my car had a minor mechanical problem at only 400 miles), and better reviews for other luxury brands, I will go shopping for other cars. Hard to forgive MB for their action. Take care guys, it was nice being at this post, real helpful website, and keep up the good work (off to Bimmer I go!)
Actually, vw looks impressive nowadays