C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

3.5L ECU Tuning: Your Experience Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
Please, provide facts to back your claims, otherwise that's all they are...claims.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
It's funny how you yourself have more interest in Powerchip's software and software in general than most forum sponsors. I know that you have lots of unproductive free time on your hand, but I do not see why you continuously post in Powerchip threads when they in no way pertain to you. Also, you continuously post about Speed Innovation on your personal forum name. What do you have to hide? That's one sleezy way to increase sales.

Additionally, as stated many times before by numerous forum members including Vadim who's very well respected on this board, you have a hidden agenda and such is evident in your hundreds of posts about software, mainly promoting and supporting Speed Innovation's software. Now, for some one who is simply happy with their purchase, why do you repetatively act like your on Speed Innovation's payroll? Also, what business do you have in entering numerous threads on topics you either a) have no interest in or b) have no knowledge in only to bring up Speed Innovation. I can tell you one thing, I'm directly against your gorilla sales tactics.

In regards to suing Speed Innovation for damages, do to your relationship and part in this, I think you know the reasons such hasn't happened already. The biggest reason is that suing a company who keeps faulty books will end up costing more in legal fees than it will pay back in damages.

As far as Stealth Auto goes, everything is great here, thanks for asking. I would accept your offer to purchase bulbs but I'm afraid your card might be declined again and we don't want that hassle now do we. In regards to our Stealth Bulbs, sales are actually booming. We just hooked up big distributors in Australia, Germany, Great Britain, Jordan, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Korea, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa, Canada, etc. Simply said, we have more international distributors than the amount of total international orders Speed Innovations has fulfilled to date.

Please, provide facts to back your claims, otherwise that's all they are...claims.
I'm sorry, declined again?. Could you please shoot me that P.O.? I'll kindly take the personal stab at me if you prove to the world out there who you think I really am. You're comparing filamentous bulb sales to ECU tuning... that's a first, I guess.

Have you had your lunch yet? Would you like a waaamburger with all those cries? I can provide them if you would like to continue to subject yourself to mockery.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
We do not create fake user names and attempt to sell software through deception, this is something you should both understand and learn from.
Create fake user names to sell software through deception? When the hell was this issue brought up - it's a great idea, but funny you should mention it so defensively.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
For all reading this, note the location of all the above posters. Looks to me like you're all friends.

I would love to hear some testimonials from Speed Innovation customers (real customers) from states other than California; customers or forum members that have no financial interest in Speed Innovation and do not live in close proximity to each other. We all know friendships will sway opinions in one's favor.

Any out there? Chime in
Old 05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by mig888
Create fake user names to sell software through deception? When the hell was this issue brought up - it's a great idea, but funny you should mention it so defensively.
I have no reason to argue with you, we both know the truth. Keep on truckin' and do your thing
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
For all reading this, note the location of all the above posters. Looks to me like you're all friends.

I would love to hear some testimonials from Speed Innovation customers (real customers) from states other than California; customers or forum members that have no financial interest in Speed Innovation and do not live in close proximity to each other. We all know friendships will sway opinions in one's favor.

Any out there? Chime in
So now local customers aren't considered true software testimonials? Isn't the best form of advertisement through word of mouth?

The basic fact is that if there were a C-class meet in Southern California - yes, the likelyhood of C-class owners to actually become friends and discuss their mods are relatively high. I'll be honest, I've driven my friends' cars, all different kinds... okay sure, SI-tuned .

You're continuing to poke at a seriously dry sponge here. No wait, I'll be the cheese, you be the grater, cuz there's more holes in your stories than Monterey Jack. :\.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
I would love to hear some testimonials from Speed Innovation customers (real customers) from states other than California
i have SI ECU on my car... but i'm in california (not sure what difference that makes)... price was good, performance was noticeable, didn't need to pull out ECU and ship... can't complain...

fyi - friends recommend what is best, salesmen recommends what is most profitable...
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Huh? Not to add fuel to the fire, but I've caught Powerchip trolling the forum under different screen names to promote Powerchip software. I have no idea what the story is with SI.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by jgsx
Huh? Not to add fuel to the fire, but I've caught Powerchip trolling the forum under different screen names to promote Powerchip software. I have no idea what the story is with SI.
to you sir, for you have not forgotten the pirate's code. Take what ye can, give nothing back! Arrr!

LOL.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM

2005 C230SS 6spd Blk/Blk, 2006 C350 SS 6spd Blk/Blk
Secondly, I find it quite bewildering that Speed Innovation has no address listed on their website, is not registered as a valid business, and has no valid tax ID number, which every single business has.

I don't mean to come off negative in any sense, I just think customers should know all the facts before making such a large purchase.
I totally agree, especially the second point where there is no address on the website AND no one to answer the phone.

Powerchip on the other hand, answered my call right away, sent me an instruction sheet on how to remove the ECU, they are well organized. I feel MUCH more comfortable with them so they will most likely get my business.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Why is it that there always seems to be this debate between the two different softwares? Look, it's simple. People will choose whomever they decide to go with and who to give their money to.

From what I have seen, SI has done a lot of custom tunes. That's just from what I have researched. Powerchip has done some tunes as well. Both companies seem to have their supporters, so why argue about it?

Secondly, I don't think this forum is a place to slander any particular manufacturer. If any of you have a problem with another manufacturer, your private business dealings should be conducted elsewhere, not on this forum. I don't think it is fair for a sponsor to slander a product being offered by another sponsor that pays good money to be a sponsor on these boards.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 PM

2007 C350 SS

Any out there? Chime in
I also have the Speed Innovation ecu tune for my C350 and I love it in fact. But then again I guess my testimony doesn't count even though I live closer to StealthAuto But then it is a very good point that you brought up the fact that REAL CUSTOMERS on this forum should chime in, not SPONSORS who are trying to only sell their own product

Originally Posted by Drop-a-Daimler
Anyone had a good or bad experience with one of these, or a different one that can be bought without rolling into some shop, that they want to share?
So any other real customers would like to share their experiences? And for the sake of argument for StealthAuto, only "real active forum members" who put their time here. No trolls please
Old 06-01-2007, 12:25 AM

2006 C230 Sedan
I'm in Miami, Fl and have no affiliation to SI. I had them tune my c230 and love it. I would do it again in a second. Nothing like SI and a Sprint Booster to make your day better.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by AndySays
I also have the Speed Innovation ecu tune for my C350 and I love it in fact. But then again I guess my testimony doesn't count even though I live closer to StealthAuto But then it is a very good point that you brought up the fact that REAL CUSTOMERS on this forum should chime in, not SPONSORS who are trying to only sell their own product

So any other real customers would like to share their experiences? And for the sake of argument for StealthAuto, only "real active forum members" who put their time here. No trolls please
I linked you to a testimonials page that has 30+ Mercedes customers on it...

I myself believe Vadim is a VERY active and helpful forum member, if not THE MOST helpful member. Look at this thread he posted on his Powerchip findings... https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=vadim+tuning

If you want to see "real active forum members" all you need to do is search around, it's as easy as that
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7
Thread 8
Thread 9
Thread 10
etc... etc... etc...

Last edited by StealthAuto; 06-01-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 AM

2007 C350 SS
Why search? Active members should easily find this thread and post. nay?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by AndySays
Why search? Active members should easily find this thread and post. nay?
This thread is in the C-class W203 section, only 1/20 of the forum at most. Due to such, a vast majority of active members don't even visit this section
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 AM

2007 C350 SS
This thread is in the C-class W203 section, only 1/20 of the forum at most. Due to such, a vast majority of active members don't even visit this section
Oh but you forget that he IS asking his fellow C-class owners in the C-class W203 section. On top of that he is asking for the 3.5L ecu tuning for his C350 which I happen to own

Even though the C-class section may be 1/20 of the forum, it is pretty dam active
Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
I love this place. Hmmm. What to do? Well, I emailed a few questions to Powerchips but nobody would write back. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the SI ECU.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM

2007 C350 SS
I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the SI tuned C350 as much as I have

Jon Levi is a good guy and answered all my messages if he didn't pick up the phone
Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Is @ Home
I am going to give the JLevi/SI ECU a much closer look. I actually read their literature wrong too. With their 93 octane tune (which is what I run here) it is a bit higher:

Stock: 268 HP, 258 TQ
JLevi: 289 HP, 287 TQ, $700

That and some headers might make my magic 300/300 numbers.
I don't think so, unless the tune factored in all the performance parts you had installed. Creating power does not work like that, its adding parts that suits the powerband. A tune is usually the last thing that an engine tuner does (better to tune once). Adding more performance parts after the tune might decrease performance (or shift the powerband) due to the optimal A/F ratio used before. Its not just slapping on performance parts and making power, only the newbies think that way (no offense to anyone).
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by Tangerine
... Adding more performance parts after the tune might decrease performance (or shift the powerband) due to the optimal A/F ratio used before...
I agree with most of what you point out here. It's good advice for sure. But I've built and dyno tuned 3 fuelie race motors now and done a lot and dyno'd a lot and learned a few things along that way. But I am no MB expert for sure so I come here to learn what works. And thanks all! What I HAVE seen in practice is that on a fuel injected motor with MAS, knock, and O2 senors with VVT and a closed feedback loop, you can add parts and see improvements as long as you are staying pretty close to your original tune. The only time I had to reprogram and ECU every time I added a mild part (not meaning cams or supercharger, meaning things like exhaust, headers, air boxes, mufflers, hi-flow filters, etc.) was when I was working on fuel injected motors WITHOUT O2 sensors and closed loop programming. Think motorcycles. In that instance your A/F ratio can get way off of a nice chubby 13 and you lose economy or power or both. But on the MB the sensors work to keep the volumetric efficiency within certain parameters. And it's the ECU programing that sets those parameters -- more fuel or spark here, less there to some degree based on the TPS readings and data from the feedback loop. So yes, if you are slapping on a SC you need to re-program the ECU or you're toast. But getting a set of performance data in your ECU and then adding headers can still give you decent results. Sure, not a perfect A/F ratio or spark curve that you might get from a mega-tight dyno tune after adding the parts, but just adding exhaust improvements will be detected at the MAS and O2 sensors and the ECU (with more aggressive injector pulse settings and spark curve) will still net you improved performance. The SC is a good example of an improvement that really does need a re-tune; cams are another good example. Cams change the valve timing (among other things) and really should be tuned at the ECU. But headers or mufflers (or both) after a performance ECU is plugged in? The performance won't go down unless the headers are crap. If they breath better, the MAS and O2 sensors will detect it and the hot ECU will crank the injector pulse duration, timing and spark and the motor will recognize the additional power and torque. At least that how I think about it. I'm not saying a tune after headers won't get you more power--it probably would--I'm just saying headers after the the hot ECU code will still net you power gains (if they are good headers and your ride is running right). Not really changing the shape of the power curve drastically, just moving it up mostly. Maybe I'm just way out of my league here. You MB tuners tell me. I'm here to learn about how my new car works.

Last edited by Drop-a-Daimler; 06-02-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...on the MB the sensors work to keep the volumetric efficiency within certain parameters...
Kudos for your fine post. It is indeed encouraging to read information such as yours on our forum. You exhibit and display much more than a modicum grasp and understanding of internal combustion engine theory and its relation to practical design and function. For that you have already earned much respect.

As you are well aware, volumetric efficiency is solely a function of a motor’s intake and exhaust tracts, piston crown configuration, combustion chamber design, valve timing and its effects on resonate tuning, and reciprocating speed. Any and all performance enhancing normally-aspirated and supercharged ECU modifications can only affect mixture strength and ignition timing. There is no third dimension associated with MB software modifications as they relate ultimately to horsepower and torque production. With our drive-by-wire configuration the “brains” can, of course, ultimately control throttle position via ASR and ESP inputs.

I am currently searching for a competent software tuner. As I progress through the perfunctory Stage1 modifications, and towards achieving what I hope to be Stage2+, I am only too cognizant that any anticipated HP gains can only be fully realized through the science and wizardry of properly exploiting the ECU.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
I love this place. Hmmm. What to do? Well, I emailed a few questions to Powerchips but nobody would write back. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the SI ECU.
Feel free to email me with any questions you may have, I'll be glad to help.

Aaron(@)StealthAuto.com
Old 06-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
I agree with most of what you point out here. It's good advice for sure. But I've built and dyno tuned 3 fuelie race motors now and done a lot and dyno'd a lot and learned a few things along that way. But I am no MB expert for sure so I come here to learn what works. And thanks all! What I HAVE seen in practice is that on a fuel injected motor with MAS, knock, and O2 senors with VVT and a closed feedback loop, you can add parts and see improvements as long as you are staying pretty close to your original tune. The only time I had to reprogram and ECU every time I added a mild part (not meaning cams or supercharger, meaning things like exhaust, headers, air boxes, mufflers, hi-flow filters, etc.) was when I was working on fuel injected motors WITHOUT O2 sensors and closed loop programming. Think motorcycles. In that instance your A/F ratio can get way off of a nice chubby 13 and you lose economy or power or both. But on the MB the sensors work to keep the volumetric efficiency within certain parameters. And it's the ECU programing that sets those parameters -- more fuel or spark here, less there to some degree based on the TPS readings and data from the feedback loop. So yes, if you are slapping on a SC you need to re-program the ECU or you're toast. But getting a set of performance data in your ECU and then adding headers can still give you decent results. Sure, not a perfect A/F ratio or spark curve that you might get from a mega-tight dyno tune after adding the parts, but just adding exhaust improvements will be detected at the MAS and O2 sensors and the ECU (with more aggressive injector pulse settings and spark curve) will still net you improved performance. The SC is a good example of an improvement that really does need a re-tune; cams are another good example. Cams change the valve timing (among other things) and really should be tuned at the ECU. But headers or mufflers (or both) after a performance ECU is plugged in? The performance won't go down unless the headers are crap. If they breath better, the MAS and O2 sensors will detect it and the hot ECU will crank the injector pulse duration, timing and spark and the motor will recognize the additional power and torque. At least that how I think about it. I'm not saying a tune after headers won't get you more power--it probably would--I'm just saying headers after the the hot ECU code will still net you power gains (if they are good headers and your ride is running right). Not really changing the shape of the power curve drastically, just moving it up mostly. Maybe I'm just way out of my league here. You MB tuners tell me. I'm here to learn about how my new car works.
EXCELLENT POST!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have...
Thanks! I sent you a note.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3.5L ECU Tuning: Your Experience Please