C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sunroof rattle - dealer says it may be "impossible" to fix.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Angry Sunroof rattle - dealer says it may be "impossible" to fix.

I've had my car in eight times for the squeaking and rattling panorama roof. This time, they have had it for four days.
They said it may be a structural problem, since the rattle seems to happen due to body flex.
I'm pretty fed up with Benz and all of the BS I've been through in 14,000 miles of driving.
The dealer has been accomodating, but they can't isolate the rattle - even with stethoscopes. You can hear the rattle, even put your hand on it and feel it.... but there doesn't seem to be a discernable source.

What would you guys do?? Should I pursue a buyback? I don't really want another car, I want THIS car.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Just deal with it. It's one of those things that happens with a new model. The panorama roof hasn't been perfected yet and there are so many moving parts, that it obviously isn't as secure as a metal roof. So I can accept that there is some squeaking, whether I like it or not. I never even considered taking it to the dealer, because I knew there wouldn't be a fix for it. It is just the movement of the roof when the body flexes. So turn up the radio and get used to it.

They won't take your car back for something like this because it really isn't a problem. So if you really want that car, then you're just going to have to deal with it.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Sunroof rattle - dealer says it may be "impossible" to fix.

Originally posted by RedC230K
I've had my car in eight times for the squeaking and rattling panorama roof. This time, they have had it for four days.
They said it may be a structural problem, since the rattle seems to happen due to body flex.
I'm pretty fed up with Benz and all of the BS I've been through in 14,000 miles of driving.
The dealer has been accomodating, but they can't isolate the rattle - even with stethoscopes. You can hear the rattle, even put your hand on it and feel it.... but there doesn't seem to be a discernable source.

What would you guys do?? Should I pursue a buyback? I don't really want another car, I want THIS car.
No such thing as impossible to fix...the dealer just wants you out of his hair. Have them bring in a few MB service/chassis engineers to look at it...and start screaming buyback...he'll work it out. Mine has never squeeked or rattled.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Re: Sunroof rattle - dealer says it may be "impossible" to fix.

Originally posted by RedC230K

just turn the music up high, and there goes all youre problems:p
Old 10-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K Orion, Oyster leather, Auto, Sunroof, Bose, Teleaid, CD Changer
American Service Center - Alexandria, VA fixed the creaking and squeaking of my C230K panoramic sunroof. They had to replace the rails twice before finding a set that did not make noise.
That was 4,000 miles ago and the noises have not returned.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:23 AM

I've had the same problem too, it's a little squeaking noise that sounds like plastic is rubbing against plastic or something to that effect. I've tried locating the source of the noise and it seems to come from just above my head, underneath where the sunshade rolls back. I think the noise is more prevelant when the sunshade is open.

I've tried messing around with it, pushing and pulling sections of the structure while the car was in motion, but I don't think there's any real way of solving the problem. It seems like it's within the sunshade mechanism (where the sunshade gets rolled up into). At first I was really bothered by it, but I realized that it's probably just the car settling in. 98% of the time I'll have something playing on the radio/cd, so that pretty much drowns out the noise
Old 10-12-2002, 03:21 PM

c230k
mine was fixed

both the dealer and i thought it was the sunroof but they actually realized that it wasnt. the little overhead panel (the buttons for the sunroof and the little reading lights) was a bit loose and it would be this awful squeak at even the slightest little bump in the road. so they just tightened that up and its perfect now. i would suggest next time you are driving, just press on that overhead panel with your fingers so you know its on there tightly. if it still makes the squeaks then i guess i cant help you. but definitely worth a try.

good luck

ben
Old 10-12-2002, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I'm assuming you guys clean the rubber gasket that surrounds the roof opening, right? I can go 2-3k miles without a squeek after cleaning the gasket and the mating surfaces under the glass panel. But perhaps my squeek is different from yours....
Old 10-12-2002, 07:13 PM

C Class Coupe 02'
BS, of course it can be fixed. i brought mine to a dealer in santa monica and they tried to fix it but had no clue how to. than i went to penske in west covina and they got it fixed. tell your dealer to fix it or you'll go somewhere else. even better tell them you'll report them to mercedes for faulty service. the service ranking is how mercedes keep quality in check.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:44 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
What do you use to clean the gasket
Old 10-14-2002, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by schwarz c230
What do you use to clean the gasket
I use a little general "surface" cleaner like Windex on a paper towel. Anything will work though, it's just dust and grit that causes the gasket to slip against the roof panel as the body flexes. Most of the dirt will be stuck to the underside of the roof panel and not on the gasket so be sure to clean under there.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:22 AM
JeT

Originally posted by JKDBENZ
BS, of course it can be fixed. i brought mine to a dealer in santa monica and they tried to fix it but had no clue how to. than i went to penske in west covina and they got it fixed. tell your dealer to fix it or you'll go somewhere else. even better tell them you'll report them to mercedes for faulty service. the service ranking is how mercedes keep quality in check.
So what was wrong with yours?
Old 01-18-2003, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Something that always works for me to isolate a squeak or rattle is to simply start taking parts of the car off in the general area until the problem is gone, then fix the cause.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:40 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
It's good to have you back, Dave!!
In the end, they replaced the WHOLE roof assembly. But, it's fixed now!
Old 01-18-2003, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
My roof squeaked whenever the temps got cold. Last winter was a royal pain trying to get MB to recognize there was a real issue. Finally, they heard it, appologized and replaced the bellows on the passenger side.

It also helps to periodically wipe the track mechanism clean then apply a little silicone spray (on a rag) to the tracks.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:50 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Originally posted by JeT
So what was wrong with yours?
They should be able to replace it with a new roof if they can't fix it, if it is still under warranty.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:44 PM

C230 C-Coupe
I have this problem and my car is currently having a new roof installed. I brought it in four times having tried to tolerate it for nearly a year. I don't think the people on this list who say live with it can have ever experienced the noise.

The second time I took it in they installed felt to the roof. This made it ten time worse. The noise would get better if the roof was wet or if the roof was slightly open, but when dry and closed it revurburated throughout the entire car.

When the lead tech heard the noise he realized that it was intolerable and he ordered a new roof. He was sceptical in thinking it was just a squek, but it is a continous experience that not only sounds appaling but feels like the roof is falling off.

That was over a week ago and I am still waiting to hear when I will get my car back. For now I will drive this C240 and add up the miles that I am not putting on my own car.

Apparently their is a problem with the rails on some C230 Coupes but the noise is isolated to the very front, my roof problem started from the back of the car. The MB tech said they have a tech note to change the rails on any car experiencing that problem.

Nathan
Old 01-19-2003, 01:36 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
My coupe had a problem with the retractable head liner. The rear section stuck at the last point of retraction. As a result the dealer replaced the entire headliner and associated parts under warranty. I also had a C240 as a loaner. Really impressed with the smoothness and ride of the 240.