C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
speaking of changing gears in an automatic without stopping, is it safe to switch into neutral from drive and vice-versa while driving an automatic? it may be a naive question as torque converter mechanics is something i know little about. however, it'd be nice to know if i can.
you can switch from drive to neutral, although not recommended (simply because you have less control in the event of an emergency), but only from neutral to drive if you're at a stop. it explains it somewhere in the manual.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:10 PM
Banned

'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Originally posted by dswildfire
really? with an auto you can't hold the brake and give gas? funny, then could somebody please tell me why i was able to do that (didn't rev past 1500, but still wanted to know if it would work)? i know the tranny will keep you from flooring it coming out of reverse into drive. Easy to check too. pull out of a parking space in reverse, and just before it stops (low speed, like 3 mph or less), put in drive, throttle will not engage until reverse motion has stopped.
No, it's not that you can't, but rather that it won't let you do it easily. Brake torquing your car like that is not a good idea. The transmission heats up very very quickly and will cause premature wear.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It Varies
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
I did?

I DID!!!! AND IM GLAD I DID! Call me the flamethrower, cause i dont give a rats a**.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:35 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
Do not compare American cars to German engineering. Bullet proof transmission... do you mean level10 rebuild? I doubt it would have gave out on you from doing it once especially in the snow where traction is negligible. On the other hand, you would have to be a moron to do it on snow. You get what you deserve.
Wow, whoever labelled this guy "flame cop" got it right.

I always hate this argument "don't compare American cars to German cars"...

Well first, I wasn't. I was comparing an older American TRUCK. Ever driven some of the older trucks? they are built like tanks.

I'm glad I was young and stupid and tried all that on my old beater truck, so I'm not older and stupid trying it on my new $40K (CND) car.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Originally posted by AndrewEclipse
I DID!!!! AND IM GLAD I DID! Call me the flamethrower, cause i dont give a rats a**.
Yeah, me too! I flamed him and I know it! I dont have a problem with finding out the limits of your car, but it does not mean finding out how much you can abuse something without breaking it.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:02 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by dswildfire
really? with an auto you can't hold the brake and give gas? funny, then could somebody please tell me why i was able to do that (didn't rev past 1500, but still wanted to know if it would work)? i know the tranny will keep you from flooring it coming out of reverse into drive. Easy to check too. pull out of a parking space in reverse, and just before it stops (low speed, like 3 mph or less), put in drive, throttle will not engage until reverse motion has stopped.
It won't let me pass 3000 rpm, I tried it multiple times because someone suggested it reach approx 4500 and then you can launch off. However, it is not that easy with the Kompressor. See, I learned a bunch of nitty bitty stuff about my car.

And yes, it's leased thats why I'm not thinking of it from the "Oh you spent 26g's on it, don't do it!"
Old 10-13-2002, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by 02Impressor
And yes, it's leased thats why I'm not thinking of it from the "Oh you spent 26g's on it, don't do it!"
That is a poor excuse...you still need to bring the car back in running order.

Erik
Old 10-13-2002, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4

So just because its leased you dont care? Thats pathetic...
Old 10-13-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
here's his thread on the coupe forum
http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=775

i really think he has to be some sort of troll. i thought the ajax question was a joke, and this too?
Old 10-13-2002, 04:37 PM

That's called "a fool-proof car". Maxima,obviously, is not. I suggest you pick who you hang out with more carefully next time.
Are we now making up new terms to identify the safety features that cars come with. Maxima, corvette, mustang and a ton of other cars just to name a few will let you do anything your heart desires. So you’re recommending he “hangs” out with people who drive MB C230K “Sports” Coups because they in turn would not suggest such a tactic or are you saying his friend is a bad influence because what he drives a maxima and doesn’t know luxury like your 26k Kompressor? Perhaps, you are just saying if people he hangs out with would recommend such a tactic then they obviously don’t care about his cars well being and he needs to stay away from them. Do you see anything wrong here?

speaking of changing gears in an automatic without stopping, is it safe to switch into neutral from drive and vice-versa while driving an automatic? it may be a naive question as torque converter mechanics is something i know little about. however, it'd be nice to know if i can.
You sure can switch from drive to neutral in an automatic. Some people believe it will save gas but I think it puts premature wear on the tranny and doesn’t really save all that much.

I'm not so sure that the "I want to find the limits of my car" argument holds true. There are far better ways of simulating an evasive maneuver than to try to do a burnout by changing from reverse to drive (which is totally unrealistic). Anyone who manages to defeat ESP in a normal driving condition is probably going far too fast for the conditions.
Agreed, we don’t all drive according to the speed limit.

No, it's not that you can't, but rather that it won't let you do it easily. Brake torquing your car like that is not a good idea. The transmission heats up very very quickly and will cause premature wear.
Exactly what I said to those who suggested this tactic versus the previous one which was annulled by the cars safety feature.

I'm glad I was young and stupid and tried all that on my old beater truck, so I'm not older and stupid trying it on my new $40K (CND) car.
Good in this situation the beater car is the MB C230K “Sports” Coup which can outlast and out perform that car time and time again.

Distructive experimentation is ill adviced at any level. Your car cost you at least 26K if not in the low 30's. You must have money to burn or expect to own the car for a limited time, when it then becomes some innocent buyers problem, and there goes that buyers impression of MB quality and service.
That is a poor excuse...you still need to bring the car back in running order.
So just because its leased you dont care? Thats pathetic...
I don’t see how this will break the transmission. It was discussed before that it did no damage due to the cars safety feature. Yes, as long as you can bring the car back fully functional everything is ok. Nobody will ask you if the transmission fails 500 miles later. It’s not his car, it’s the companies’ car and he is just burrowing it for a temporary lease. Abuse it, use it, love it, and get a new one. So, 02Impressor, live by this philosophy.

“Drive it like you stole it”
Old 10-13-2002, 04:54 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by young
here's his thread on the coupe forum
http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=775

i really think he has to be some sort of troll. i thought the ajax question was a joke, and this too?
You're not the only one with the realization. See, I realized something about you too. I realized that you are an a**hole who gets a hard on for other peoples problems. Anytime a question is asked, you resort to insults and ignorant statements. With 2688 posts, I would expect you to act a bit more mature and helpful. Yet, all you do is throw flame to the fire. You're a low life.

Last edited by 02Impressor; 10-13-2002 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Its so great that MB has decided to go so down-market with the Hatchback.

MB sites have been deprived of great threads like this for far too long.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
You're not the only one with the realization. See, I realized something about you too. I realized that you are an a**hole who gets a hard on for other peoples problems. Anytime a question is asked, you resort to insults and ignorant statements. With 2688 posts, I would expect you to act a bit more mature and helpful. Yet, all you do is throw flame to the fire. You're a low life.
Well what do you expect when you post something this stupid? And you say young 'gets a hard on for other peoples problems'? Its hardly a 'problem' that your tranny wont let you pull of this stunt, I would consider it a money saver!

And frankly the phliosphy of 'Abuse it, use it, love it, and get a new one' is lame and stupid, not to mention wasteful.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Come on now SoCal, anyone who can afford a C230 with a couple options can afford a C240. Besides, its not the car thats downmarket, its a select few of the people!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Are we now making up new terms to identify the safety features that cars come with. Maxima, corvette, mustang and a ton of other cars just to name a few will let you do anything your heart desires. So you’re recommending he “hangs” out with people who drive MB C230K “Sports” Coups because they in turn would not suggest such a tactic or are you saying his friend is a bad influence because what he drives a maxima and doesn’t know luxury like your 26k Kompressor? Perhaps, you are just saying if people he hangs out with would recommend such a tactic then they obviously don’t care about his cars well being and he needs to stay away from them. Do you see anything wrong here?

“Drive it like you stole it”
So, you must be the one with the Maxima... Now it makes sense.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
Its so great that MB has decided to go so down-market with the Hatchback.

MB sites have been deprived of great threads like this for far too long.
No, you obviously still don't grasp that it's not MB going "downmarlet", it's the overheated economy that had propelled so many lumpenproletariat up-scale. We are just seeing the consequences of this aberration. This is greatly amplified in the areas of the US where dot-coms used to flourish.

Also, could you explpain still, why you capitalise the "H" in the word hatchback? Do you respect hatchbacks so much?

Last edited by vadim; 10-13-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by vadim
So, you must be the one with the Maxima... Now it makes sense.
No, I have a C230K Kompressor.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by vadim
No, you obviously still don't grasp that it's not MB going "downmarlet", it's the overheated economy that had propelled so many lumpenproletariat up-scale. We are just seeing the consequences of this aberration. This is greatly amplified in the areas of the US where dot-coms used to flourish.

Also, could you explpain still, why you capitalise the "H" in the word hatchback? Do you respect hatchbacks so much?
So you are saying everyone is rich and can afford MB. I really think its the other way around.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM

Exclamation

I hope I am not showing my age, however in the 1980s I had the opportunity to exactly what the 02Impressor tried to do with his vehicle but succeeded with the vehicle I was driving, the only draw back was a wasted transmission when I was done (I was working, at the time for a law enforcement agency in CA.). I cannot understand why anyone would do that to a vehicle deliberately, the vehicle computer does keep a memory of what you have done and when you take the vehicle in for transmission repairs, it is likely that the dealership will void the transmission. I have talked in length to the service technician's and they tell me they void warrantees on vehicles and have proof of the abuse.

Old 10-13-2002, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Can't we all just get along???
Old 10-13-2002, 08:36 PM

'02 C230K
Hi Vadim-Perhaps the rational for the Maybach's existence is coming into focus.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:30 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Re: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to do this?

Ok please no flames...
NO flame but seriously DO NOT do that in any automatic car (i've had 3spd auto, 4spd auto, tiptronic, shifttronic, steptronic, etc) what you tried to do is worse than a neutral drop. For Launch, just hold brake on left foot rev up on right and let go of brake. For burnout (pic purposes) hold handbrake then hit gas.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Iceman's C230
Can't we all just get along???
it's not that big a deal. i'm not offended by his name-calling.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
So you are saying everyone is rich and can afford MB. I really think its the other way around.
You obviously have never been outside the US, including the very country that builds MBs. What I meant was that in most countries a lot of people, who can afford MB in the US, wouldn't even come close to this level of income, due to lack of education, for one.

Last edited by vadim; 10-13-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:24 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by Lockbuster
I hope I am not showing my age, however in the 1980s I had the opportunity to exactly what the 02Impressor tried to do with his vehicle but succeeded with the vehicle I was driving, the only draw back was a wasted transmission when I was done (I was working, at the time for a law enforcement agency in CA.). I cannot understand why anyone would do that to a vehicle deliberately, the vehicle computer does keep a memory of what you have done and when you take the vehicle in for transmission repairs, it is likely that the dealership will void the transmission. I have talked in length to the service technician's and they tell me they void warrantees on vehicles and have proof of the abuse.

It's saved in the computer? That sounds like invasion of privacy to me. Regardless, I did not break anything. Car runs fine as ever. You all have over exxagerated the situation. The whole process didn't take more then several minutes of F'ing around before I stopped and moved on. Car is fine, wipe those tears car lovers. My baby is O.K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?