C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E 350
Why does the Kompressor not allow me to do this?

Ok please no flames...

I went to Floyd Bennet field today, a huge open field (ex military base) to learn my car better. It was raining out but regardless I tried to do burn outs. My friend suggested that I:

Go in Reverse, gas up until 20 mph, then quickly change to Drive and floor the gas pedal.... He has a fast Maxima and this is how he burns out.

This is what happend;

As soon as I switched to Drive (w/o braking, just switched from R to D), the car kept going in reverse anyway! Even if I gas'd up it would just go faster in Reverse until I came to a complete stop, then there would be a jerk and the car would be in D mode. Why did this happen? I did this with ESP off & ESP on, W mode & S mode. Someone explain.

Last edited by 02Impressor; 02-21-2003 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:22 PM

Re: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?

Originally posted by 02Impressor

As soon as I switched to Drive (w/o braking, just switched from R to D), the car kept going in reverse anyway! Even if I gas'd up it would just go faster in Reverse until I came to a complete stop, then there would be a jerk and the car would be in D mode. Why did this happen? I did this with ESP off & ESP on, W mode & S mode. Someone explain.
I hope you saved up for transmission repair. Driving like this will cost you some money very soon.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:25 PM

2008 E 350
Re: Re: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?

Originally posted by viper
I hope you saved up for transmission repair. Driving like this will cost you some money very soon.
Interesting theory, yet you did not answer my question.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?

Interesting theory, yet you did not answer my question.
Its not a theory its a fact. Going in reverse with an auto transmission and then slamming it into drive without coming to a stop is hard on the transmission. I am sure someone else can explain the mechanicals of this better than me so I will leave it up to them. This kind of driving is called abuse and is not covered by your warranty. Its too bad you are so reckless with your MB.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:13 PM
taylor192

Man, 2k kms and I am still not willing to drop the clutch with ESP off to see if I can smoke the tires.

Can't you just rev the engine in drive with the parking brake on, or even holding the brake pedal and just smoke the tires? or is the electronics still smart enough to keep you from doing this in an automatic? Yes this would still be bad for the mechanical parts, but gotta be better than slamming from reverse into drive!

02Impressor, I used to have a Dodge Ram pickup with a slant 6 and a practically bulletproof transmission. I reversed as fast as it would go in snow and threw it into drive, never heard such a bad sound as that before, and ended up in a spin and in a snow bank. I was 17, it was dumb, I learned my lesson on a truck that most likely can handle some abuse... I wouldn't be trying it on a brand new MB.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
DUDE, are you crazy? I would never do this in any car.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:50 PM

W212 E63
Just press brake with your left foot and gas hard with your right foot (ESP off), I think you will see some smoke.. .. also, save some money for new tires as well.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:57 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
Burnout

Dude................you got to be kidding........right?

If you could see the temperature increase in your tranny when you do a hard brake/gas pedal on the floor start you would never, EVER do it again.

Keep this up and you'll be up with Buellwinkle in getting loaner cars from your dealer.........and..........abuse is not covered by your warranty nor should it be.

You want to do a burnout...........get a bottle of beach..........pour some out on the street. Back your car over the wet spot. Put tranny back into drive and hit it. Watch the smoke..........than please tell me what's the point.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:18 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
You must be going at least 50 mph for this to work, and when you drop it in to drive, all I can say is its cooooooooool, rock on
Old 10-12-2002, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
I know you asked for no flames, but I got to say thats the stupidest thing I've heard this week. If a neutral drop is bad for a tranny, I can imagine how bad it is to do a reverse drop!

But, to propose an answer to your question, it probably has a safeguard in the transmission electronics that prevents crap like that.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
What the car did by not going into drive might be the only thing that saves your transmission. The electronics probably prevented it from going into drive. So if you're lucky, it didn't do any damage at all. But I would think it would still do something. Just don't do that again.

A question for those of you with automatics? Can you just hold the brake and give it gas. I know there is something built in that doesn't give it gas if you're on the brake, so you can't drag the brake like the old folks do. But it doesn't seem to do it in certain situations. My 6-speed even does it if I'm trying to clean the rotors by dragging the brake a little. (Had some bad wheel cleaner that looked terrible for the rotors.)

Anybody experience this while trying to do burnouts?
Old 10-12-2002, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Hey it's his car and he can do what ever he want's to it. But 02Impressor, you should not leave that kind of post and expect not to get flamed for it here.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It Varies
LOL

Reverse transmission drop???!!!!!!?!?!? Holy SHI*!!!!! And you expect no flames?????? Come on man, this is the Mercedes Forum, not the Hyundai Elantra Forum. Treat the car with a little more common sense, thats just plain dumb in my book.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
i would fuc*en panic if i was going 20mph and put the car in D.

I have an auto and do burn outs very easy just hold the brake down and press on the gas, till the tires spin. u dont even need to floor it unless u want it to go for a while.

This way is no where near as dangerous as what you tried.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:17 AM

c230 Coupe
i stopped doing burnouts in high school lol back in my Camaro days...
Old 10-13-2002, 01:19 AM

2008 E 350
Damn this thread has flame bait written all over it...

Anyway, I figured I had to try it atleast once. I didn't think that one time would do anything critical to the tranny or anything else. It wasn't the right thing to do but hey I had to see what my car was all about, right? I simulated a spin out as well, just in case, God forbid I'm ever in that situation, so I don't completely freak out when car is out of control.

Point is, I don't do stupid **** like that on a daily basis. Heck, I've only had the car for about 5 months and still have under 3000 miles on it. The car doesn't get abused despite your opinions.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:06 AM

See below.

Last edited by orgasmicNYC; 10-13-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:07 AM

Nobody is driving like this on a daily basis.

Can't you just rev the engine in drive with the parking brake on, or even holding the brake pedal and just smoke the tires? or is the electronics still smart enough to keep you from doing this in an automatic? Yes this would still be bad for the mechanical parts, but gotta be better than slamming from reverse into drive!
I agree reverse/drive is bad for your transmission but like was said by Matt230K it did nothing bad because
The electronics probably prevented it from going into drive. So if you're lucky, it didn't do any damage at all.
. So what you are suggesting and countless others would be even worse for this car. If you’re against doing any harm to the vehicle then why recommend something bad.

02Impressor, I used to have a Dodge Ram pickup with a slant 6 and a practically bulletproof transmission. I reversed as fast as it would go in snow and threw it into drive, never heard such a bad sound as that before, and ended up in a spin and in a snow bank. I was 17, it was dumb, I learned my lesson on a truck that most likely can handle some abuse... I wouldn't be trying it on a brand new MB.
Do not compare American cars to German engineering. Bullet proof transmission... do you mean level10 rebuild? I doubt it would have gave out on you from doing it once especially in the snow where traction is negligible. On the other hand, you would have to be a moron to do it on snow. You get what you deserve.

DUDE, are you crazy? I would never do this in any car.
Good, when your selling your car let me know.

You want to do a burnout...........get a bottle of beach..........pour some out on the street. Back your car over the wet spot. Put tranny back into drive and hit it. Watch the smoke..........than please tell me what's the point.
Maybe he wanted to warm up his tire for better traction before he dragged.
You must be going at least 50 mph for this to work, and when you drop it in to drive, all I can say is its cooooooooool, rock on
Are you speaking from experience because if you are then you don’t know your as* from your elbow.
I know you asked for no flames, but I got to say thats the stupidest thing I've heard this week. If a neutral drop is bad for a tranny, I can imagine how bad it is to do a reverse drop!
See top.
i would fuc*en panic if i was going 20mph and put the car in D.
Worst thing you can do in any situation is panic so why don’t you go and learn your car. Something like 02Impressor was doing. Accelerating breaking, launching, reversing all type of situations so in a situation he can avoid panic and avoid an accident.

This car to me seems like it’s mostly computer controlled and can virtually get itself out of situations where the driver would panic. He asked a question and you flamed him. Continue your daily commuting from point a to point b and enjoy every moment of it because you are fools of the highest degree.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
He asked a question and you flamed him
I did?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:24 AM

2000 300m, 2003 C-Coupe
I like the idea of having a nice save place to 'play' with your new car. It's good to know limitiations of both the car and the driver and the combination of the two. Distructive experimentation is ill adviced at any level. Your car cost you at least 26K if not in the low 30's. You must have money to burn or expect to own the car for a limited time, when it then becomes some innocent buyers problem, and there goes that buyers impression of MB quality and service. With this type of irresponsibility we will all be sporting a shinny new sticker on the dash warning not to perform such an act. If your friend drives his Maxima into a brick wall at 30 mph to test how to best position yourself for the airbag, I have to ask, will you follow him in the Mercedes?

orgasmicNYC: The new FLAME Cop in town.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:40 AM
Banned

'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Originally posted by Matt230K
A question for those of you with automatics? Can you just hold the brake and give it gas. I know there is something built in that doesn't give it gas if you're on the brake, so you can't drag the brake like the old folks do. But it doesn't seem to do it in certain situations. My 6-speed even does it if I'm trying to clean the rotors by dragging the brake a little. (Had some bad wheel cleaner that looked terrible for the rotors.)
Yup, you cannot do this with any late model MB vehicle. The computer recognises the two footed driving and will lean out the fuel mixture + throttle back.

Yes fortunately the electronics are smart enough to know to shift into a gear only when the car is at the proper speed and going in the correct direction. Shifting from reverse to drive without stopping will cook the torque converter!

I'm not so sure that the "I want to find the limits of my car" argument holds true. There are far better ways of simulating an evasive maneuver than to try to do a burnout by changing from reverse to drive (which is totally unrealistic). Anyone who manages to defeat ESP in a normal driving condition is probably going far too fast for the conditions.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:46 AM

2002 C230K
really? with an auto you can't hold the brake and give gas? funny, then could somebody please tell me why i was able to do that (didn't rev past 1500, but still wanted to know if it would work)? i know the tranny will keep you from flooring it coming out of reverse into drive. Easy to check too. pull out of a parking space in reverse, and just before it stops (low speed, like 3 mph or less), put in drive, throttle will not engage until reverse motion has stopped.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
speaking of changing gears in an automatic without stopping, is it safe to switch into neutral from drive and vice-versa while driving an automatic? it may be a naive question as torque converter mechanics is something i know little about. however, it'd be nice to know if i can.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:43 AM
JeT

Originally posted by session
speaking of changing gears in an automatic without stopping, is it safe to switch into neutral from drive and vice-versa while driving an automatic? it may be a naive question as torque converter mechanics is something i know little about. however, it'd be nice to know if i can.
I haven't tried it in any modern MBs but you can certainly do it in some japanese cars...like a Honda.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to do this?

That's called "a fool-proof car". Maxima,obviously, is not. I suggest you pick who you hang out with more carefully next time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does the Kompressor not allow me to this?