C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by shivi1345
haha well....if you click the link in my sig. you'll see I made the ram/scoop intake. I repainted it though, so it looks a bit better now. I took it out so that I would have more room to work in the engine bay

thats a good idea....have car dyno'd stock you can actually see what gains you get from mods.

I think that the hose is for the "crank breather" What is does....idk. It was diconnected and I drove like 2 miles...no CEL; so I guess its ok haha

any body have any idea what type of hose to use? Some said scilicone (but thats a lot of $$$) Others said a type of radiator hose....I'm leaning towards that becasue its cheap, easy to cut, and should be heat resistant enough

ideas?
Here's what he mentioned in the other thread:

1. 17.5 x 2.5 IC Pipe.
2. 2 , 2.5 Silicone hose, must be 3 or 4ply!!! for strength against heat
3. 4 T-bolt clamps ,, I must say again T-bolt clamps!!ONLY
not anything cheesy like mine temp. until my order comes in. Thats why I used dble clamps for now.
4. Heat wrap.!!! Some might not like the look , but why do this , if not going to do it right. wrap the pipe up.

For new pipe to TB.

1. 2.5 90% IC Pipe ,
2. 2 , 2.5 Silicone hose
3. 4 T- bolt clamps
4. Heat wrap
I don't see why you couldn't use the same type as the radiator hoses, but i'm not an expert. :-p

So, you wanna make me a ram air intake??
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK IV .:R32
I don't see why you couldn't use the same type as the radiator hoses, but i'm not an expert. :-p
thats the "1. 17.5 x 2.5 IC Pipe." right?
What does IC mean? lol

So, you wanna make me a ram air intake??
um......lol

it was kind of biotch, but Ill tell you/help you. I had never worked with fiberglass before....its not fun.

The most important part is making the mold. I had my friend do it b/c hes really good with that artsy stuff. After that all you need to do is lay the fiberglass
Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

thats the "1. 17.5 x 2.5 IC Pipe." right?
What does IC mean? lol

um......lol

it was kind of biotch, but Ill tell you/help you. I had never worked with fiberglass before....its not fun.

The most important part is making the mold. I had my friend do it b/c hes really good with that artsy stuff. After that all you need to do is lay the fiberglass
I have no idea what "IC" means, anyone?

Yeah, that's why I was asking. :-p
I've only played with Fiberglass once, and i'll stay away from that stuff. Too messy/troublesome. You have more patience then i do, my friend!

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the stock hose and just cut it, i'll have to take a closer look.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the stock hose and just cut it, i'll have to take a closer look.
check out the link to the other thread

he did by modifying an OEM part

I juat got off the phone from the guys at CarQuest:

they have a hose that has a heat rating of 257 F. and is kind of flexible (like 20-30 degrees).
Sound good?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 C63s
As I stated before... is this just an aesthetic mod or are there actual performance gains?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
IC= inter cooler piping
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
OBTW, you can put a little crankcase breather filter on where the hose goes from the resonator to the top of the motor.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:08 PM

ok so....

I used some intake piping and coupling that I got from pepboys and seemed ok

but very pickly the expandable tubing "fell" in the engine bay thus resticting air flow and causing a bunch of problems; inlcuding no mid-range torque, low gas mileage, and really weird shift points.

to fix this I used heat resistant tape and attached the piping to someother tubes in the engine bay (like MB does)

the end result is a bit n***r rigged (sorry, couldn't think of a better term); but the power is back and the noise is pretty cool haha

[IMG][/IMG]

I oredered some proper piping from CarQuest which should come in today or tomorrow; then it will look better

and I couldn't find a "breather" big enough to put where I took out that hose. The hole is too bit. I could use the OEM hose and cut it to make it work, but idk if I want to do that....in case I need to revert the car back to stock
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM

ok so....

I used some intake piping and coupling that I got from pepboys and seemed ok

but very pickly the expandable tubing "fell" in the engine bay thus resticting air flow and causing a bunch of problems; inlcuding no mid-range torque, low gas mileage, and really weird shift points.

to fix this I used heat resistant tape and attached the piping to someother tubes in the engine bay (like MB does)

the end result is a bit n***r rigged (sorry, couldn't think of a better term); but the power is back and the noise is pretty cool haha

[IMG][/IMG]

I oredered some proper piping from CarQuest which should come in today or tomorrow; then it will look better

and I couldn't find a "breather" big enough to put where I took out that hose. The hole is too bit. I could use the OEM hose and cut it to make it work, but idk if I want to do that....in case I need to revert the car back to stock

Looks good! I think i may have to try that tonight. Take some pics when you get the new hose put on.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Looks good! I think i may have to try that tonight. Take some pics when you get the new hose put on.
haha thanks

I'll post pics forsure

if you do it, make sure the pipe is straight and there are NO air leaks; other wise you'll loose like all of your low/mid range power
Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM

haha thanks

I'll post pics forsure

if you do it, make sure the pipe is straight and there are NO air leaks; other wise you'll loose like all of your low/mid range power
Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 AM

So, i did mine tonight. You can hear a sound that sounds like it's winding up with the rpms. I like it. I took pictures and i'll post them online.

Warning to others, the resonator is secured in place with 2 bolts that can be hard to get out.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:48 PM

So, i did mine tonight. You can hear a sound that sounds like it's winding up with the rpms. I like it. I took pictures and i'll post them online.

Warning to others, the resonator is secured in place with 2 bolts that can be hard to get out
yuppp

so what do you think about your performance now?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM

yuppp

so what do you think about your performance now?
It seems a little responsive, but i can't tell if it's just psychosomatic. :-p

I replaced mine with a 3" x 18" exhaust piping.
The reason being, I couldn't find the 2.5" couplers mentioned. I could only find 2.5" to 3" couplers. So I just grabbed 2 of them and the 3" exhaust piping.

But I think i'm going to replace it with a part from a universal cold air intake system. Like this (click for link to advanced auto):

The reasons being (in order):

1. I can hook the (exhaust/vacuum/whatever) hose back up
2. adjust the mounting kit so the hose isn't 'hanging' there (i have mine tied up to another hose)
3. This piping was designed to be in that part of the car (verse the exhaust piping i used)
3. It's slightly bent to allow it to line up better with the lower hose coming from the intercooler.

I'll get some pictures of what i have so far up here when i get home.
Attached Thumbnails M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-8219.jpg  

Last edited by billbugger; 12-10-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM

hm....sounds good

I just got the pipe I needed, so I'll put it on and maybe post pics later tonight

Put up pics of what you did Brian
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Here are the pictures of what i did.

This is the picture with the intake removed. You'll notice there are 2 black arms running from the resonator to the engine block between the small and large pullys. There are 2 bolts there that need to be removed.

Here is a picture of the top bolt. next to the pully.

Here is a better picture of just the bolt.

This is the picture of the bottom hose disconnected from the resonator. I noticed there was a little bit of oil there. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Here is a picture of the bottom opening of the resonator with the bottom hose seperated from it. This also had a little oil in there as well.

This is a picture of the lower half of the pipe installed (apparently is was made in Canada, i just noticed that).
Tip: place the couplers on the pipe before trying to install it in the car. If you have trouble installing the couplers on the pipe and in the car, use a hair dryer to warm up the couplers. This makes them more malleable and stretchy.

More below.
Attached Thumbnails M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5676_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5675_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5681_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5673_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5677_1536x1152.jpg  

M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5682_1536x1152.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Here are the rest of the pictures.

Here is a picture looking up the pipe from the bottom-passenger to the top-driver side.

Here is a picture of the top part looking straight down.

Here is a picture with the intake placed back on the car. Yeah, i ripped the hose when trying to figure out how to remove it, so i placed it back together and taped it up.
Attached Thumbnails M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5683_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5684_1536x1152.jpg   M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal-cimg5685_1536x1152.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
Try to keep pipe size to 2.5 to keep pressure loss at a minimum, also if you have oil that can only be from your Supercharger from blow-by, if possible take off IC and rinse with solvent, than rinse a few times with water, keeps oil from maybe f'ng up your MAF. You guys are on the path I am PM if interested.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
Also on Ebay you can search intercooler piping kits and get a good set with all you need for $70 to $100 shipped, aluminum pipes T-couplers, elbows etc.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 AM

I found some oil inside too

have you driven much? It seems that the pressure in that pipe gets pretty high, my couplers kept blowing off. I think I fixed that problem now though. I guess I'll really get to test it on the freeway going to school tomorrow

I think that my top end has gotten better; but idk it might just be me.

My piping is 2.5 inches too btw

My camera is dead, pics later
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM

C230K
interested in hearing more? did you put a crankcase breather where you removed the egr hose?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SLVERC230
interested in hearing more? did you put a crankcase breather where you removed the egr hose?

Yes, but like i sated above, i would like to replace the piping i put on mine with one that i can hook the egr hose back up to. Like the picture of the cold air intake piping i posted above.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by herksmerc
Try to keep pipe size to 2.5 to keep pressure loss at a minimum, also if you have oil that can only be from your Supercharger from blow-by, if possible take off IC and rinse with solvent, than rinse a few times with water, keeps oil from maybe f'ng up your MAF. You guys are on the path I am PM if interested.
I plan on moving it back to 2.5" piping, i just couldn't find any 2.5" couplers anywhere!

Which solvent would be the best to use?

Which path is that? Maybe keep the discussion here so others can find it when STFFing?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

I found some oil inside too

have you driven much? It seems that the pressure in that pipe gets pretty high, my couplers kept blowing off. I think I fixed that problem now though. I guess I'll really get to test it on the freeway going to school tomorrow

I think that my top end has gotten better; but idk it might just be me.

My piping is 2.5 inches too btw

My camera is dead, pics later
Your couplers keep blowing off?? That doesn't sound good because that stuff is too close to your pulleys, belt and fan. I just see that being a very bad situation! I'll have to check it again to make sure mine arent moving; however, i do have mine tightened down pretty good.

Mine feels like the top end has gotten better as well, however small. I'm hoping it's psychosomatic!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Your couplers keep blowing off?? That doesn't sound good because that stuff is too close to your pulleys, belt and fan. I just see that being a very bad situation! I'll have to check it again to make sure mine arent moving; however, i do have mine tightened down pretty good.

Mine feels like the top end has gotten better as well, however small. I'm hoping it's psychosomatic!
ya it was pretty bad. I would be driving, hear a "pop", and all my torque would be gone. I pull over, pop the hood, and a coupler has come off so one end of the pipe isn't connected to anything.

Driving to school today was 100% fine though.

I have a little breather filter, but the end of it is tiny. It wont fit on the hole where it needs to go. I could get it to fit by cutting up the OEM hose that was there....but IDK if I should do that

ideas?

btw I'm sooo with you on the psychosomatic gains hahaha

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M271 (1.8L) Supercharger Intake Resonator (baffled muffler) removal