C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Obdii Scanner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
Obdii Scanner

So I got the very first "problem" now after 4 years. The check engine light turned on monday..... I think it was from a loose gas cap because the car runs great with none of the emission problems mentioned in previous threads. Already searched forum and found tid bits of info regarding obd2 scanners.... but was wondering if there was a specific one you guys could recommend that actually works properly on our cars? I read in one thread that it has to be a 16 pin obd2 scanner that is CANBUS compatible. Suggestions? Figured this would be something a good amount of members here would like to have...... thus I decided to start the thread and ask......
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
there are tons on ebay...
i got one that displays what the error code actually means....
Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I use a product by Innova that has data logging, but the log points are not close enough when you are loggin on 1/4 mile runs etc.

As for the adaptibility, get a universal. It will have the software for a number of cars. Great for when you run into a stranded maiden in the parking lot.

E
Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Thanks guys....... There are a ton out there so I figured I would ask first before regretting a poor purchase decision.

MJ: Which one did you pick up that it tells you what the error code means?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, a loose gas cap, and you figured it all out by yourself without the aid of a scanner. Lots of things can be wrong and still appear to be normal but you could be damaging your engine further. I have the software from Alex Pepper at obd-2.com and it works well on all cars that I tried it on.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Wow, a loose gas cap, and you figured it all out by yourself without the aid of a scanner. Lots of things can be wrong and still appear to be normal but you could be damaging your engine further. I have the software from Alex Pepper at obd-2.com and it works well on all cars that I tried it on.
I figured it out because I lent the car to my sister when my brother in law was out of town and her car had to be taken to the shop. I got it back and in her kindness, she thought to "refill" my gas tank. First thing I checked was the gas cap and sure enough it wasn't on fully. She hadn't tightened it until it clicked. Is that enough evidence to convince you of my sleuth abilities? Lots of things can be wrong.... but I don't jump on the panic bandwagon easily without proof, which is exactly why I am going to pick up a scanner. That is after all the reason why I started the thread. Do you find it so difficult to believe that I actually have a reliable mercedes and never need to eat the cookies/pastries at the dealership ? lol....... *knock on wood*
Old 08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
I use a product by Innova that has data logging, but the log points are not close enough when you are loggin on 1/4 mile runs etc.

As for the adaptibility, get a universal. It will have the software for a number of cars. Great for when you run into a stranded maiden in the parking lot.

E
Ah, so that's your secret Ed!... Actually, that's a very handy dandy idea. I've been meaning to get a code reader for a while, but just never took the time to order. Now there's much more reason to make it a priority.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Drex, I think Ed is onto something........ now if only he would tell us which model # he uses of the Innova line... they have some serious scanners ranging from 60 bucks all the way up to 300 bucks that look really useful.