C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
looks good, i was looking into this style also, doesn't take up much room, uses unnecessary space. You made that yourself right?? Does anyone know if there is a company that pre-makes these types of enclosures that fit there? Ive searched online everywhere and cant find one.
I'd custom make one instead of getting a pre-fabricated box. That way you can build the box to spec so the sub(s) sound their best/how they were supposed to.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
My system is getting to loud for my taste lol
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by rlee02135
2 12W7's is an overkill. try 2 12W6's or 1 12W7.

heres my trunk...2 12W3's

You got a nice box etc... but they couldn't hide your red power cable?

Yes remove rear deck... if you have rear sunshade make sure you go very slow but it will remove.. i removed the sub and play with it in the garage... its either an 8 or a 10.

Putting the rear deck back in is a ***** all im going to say lol
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by NH7TR
No dude, the amps are in NO WAY turned up to near maximum capability! Just because I look stupid, and you can't see me, doesn't mean I am...hehe. I'm also sure that there are few electronics manufacturers that actually rate their equipment in true form. Yeah, all of it is rated at peak performance, done in a lab, at the perfect operating temperature as a simulated computer model. All manufacturers want to beef their products, but as the old Ebay saying goes, "It powers up, and the light comes on, but we have no way of testing the item" (One idiot had that sentence on an Ebay listing for a 19" color TV, what a real genius, huh?). The power rating that manufacturer's use for their specs, is nowhere near what you or I would actually get as an average consumer. Computer component manufacturer's use these tactics all the time. To include the size rating of the hard drive in your computer right now. Do you actually get the 500GB listed on HDD box? Certainly not, no one does. Everyone gets less. No one gets more, ...ever. It's the same with this topic. And I agree with the other comment in the thread, in reference to putting 920 watts into any set of coaxial speakers.....that would be the ultimate death sentence, or "Smoke testing", as I call it. I have never officially measured my wattage with any kind of meter, and now that I think about it, no one I know has. Hell, I haven't even measured the amperage draw when it's pumped up. Maybe one day I'll have a power issue and I will feel the urge to see, for now, not! BTW, One of my other ham radio buddies had a formula to calculate actual wattage by using the voltage and an average of the amperage draw, but for the life of me, I can't remember it.
I don't want to call you stupid because that is mean. But W-1's have got to be the worst JL sub and a waste of money and the amps are a no go. Unless you got a good price there is no reason you should have done this setup. Just hope you didn't pay full price...
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
yeah...i wanna know what u did too. I have a coupe and wanted to put the sub in spare tire area since my spare tire wont fit on the car anymore

i dunno much about speaker set up but is the acoustic okay if it is placed in that area?

thanks!

Originally Posted by ebargados
i wanted a sub but didn't want to sacrifice too much trunk space. so i ditched my spare tire (knock on wood) and i had a custom sealed fiberglass box fitted housing a 12" JL W3.

pics to follow.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by krisv420
You got a nice box etc... but they couldn't hide your red power cable?

Yes remove rear deck... if you have rear sunshade make sure you go very slow but it will remove.. i removed the sub and play with it in the garage... its either an 8 or a 10.

Putting the rear deck back in is a ***** all im going to say lol
Come out and remove my rear deck homie. I want more base in my car! All that metal is blocking the real power
Old 06-09-2009, 06:25 PM

08 E63
Here is what a friend and I made for mine. Nothing fancy just something to hear a little thump.
Eclipse AVN 6610 Head unit
1 12" Directed Competition X
1 MTX 1200 Wat Monoblock

Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by ROLLNNN
looks good, i was looking into this style also, doesn't take up much room, uses unnecessary space. You made that yourself right?? Does anyone know if there is a company that pre-makes these types of enclosures that fit there? Ive searched online everywhere and cant find one.
Yes I made it myself. It was my first attempt at fiberglassing. Not difficult to do but time consuming. Search online for glassing instructions...that's what I did.
Don't think anyone pre-makes these enclosures.

Also I made sure the installer left enough wire to pull the box out in case I need to access the fuses thus the wire in the pic.

Check out this thread: Ryanr317 also has a similar one he made himself.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ed-subs-2.html
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
ooo shoot that really eat up alot of space for us... was thinking of the pioneer shallow so that it take less space.... any input for them?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM

08 E63
Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX
ooo shoot that really eat up alot of space for us... was thinking of the pioneer shallow so that it take less space.... any input for them?
The shallow speakers are great if you want to save trunk space. mine looks big but it really is not i can still get my spare tire out no problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
Same here. My first attempt at fiberglass, had help though.

Where did you place your amp Ryanr317?
On mine, I had to tell the installer to leave me enough wire so I can pull the box out in case I need to.
Looks good though...very neat!
I did about 9 layers of fib glass if I remember correctly...then I sprayed an expanding insulation foam on the base.
All those hours of sanding was a bi$ch!WHEW!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Hey Audio Guru's

I need more bass in my car and currently have an AVIC-D3 with no other audio upgrades over stock. I really want a space saver and like the idea of powered subs. I have been thinking about underseat subs, but this powered sub seems to have better reviews:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236XT11...0P.html?tp=114

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl...599104&sr=8-12

OR

http://www.amazon.com/KENWOOD-KSC-SW...599390&sr=8-25

2 questions:

(1) does anyone have experience with this? and would this be an easy hook up to my AVIC-D3?

(2) where should i place this thing? is there a good spot somewhere in the inner panels of the trunk? (i'd like to keep it as stealth as possible)

Thanks!

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 07-03-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I have experience of the Infinity unit - easy integration with anything. You need to talk to the coupe guys on mounting. The MTX unit also looks pretty good on paper - not sold here to my knowledge. You need to stay away from subs that give you "one note" base boom & use one that provides some texture to the bass. The Infinity does this well.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
how bout the pioneer shallow subs... if you got the money there is new jl shallow subs...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I have experience of the Infinity unit - easy integration with anything. You need to talk to the coupe guys on mounting. The MTX unit also looks pretty good on paper - not sold here to my knowledge. You need to stay away from subs that give you "one note" base boom & use one that provides some texture to the bass. The Infinity does this well.
Only thing about the infinity is that some of the negative reviews talk about its reliability. I've heard good things about MTX, but both of those units look like they'll deliver a similar dynamic to sub sound. another one i want to check out (if i can fit in my trunk) is this:

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-ThunderLin...6634297&sr=8-6

this one seems like it would give more texture to the bass like you said... but i'm no expert

Originally Posted by XsuperbeeX
how bout the pioneer shallow subs... if you got the money there is new jl shallow subs...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ubwoofers.html

looks like the JL audio ones have good reviews, but then I'll have to get an amp and i'm trying not to spend more than 600 on this project
Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 coupe 2002
I guess its all about taste. If you want bass so your head goes , you cannot go with Pioneer , I had MTX Subs not impressed ... Sony and Dual and Kenwood... Abrahm i would go with JLs or Kicker subs .. i have 2 Kickers CVRs (Old school).. not the new cheap *** CVRs.. And a PDX-1.1000 , and walls are shaking... Its worth it to spend the money on JLs or some Kickers L7s.. in the end you wont regret it.
So my opinion without including Competiton subs-
Subs That i tried, that will not let you down(depending on what models of course)
Kicker
Alpine
JL Audio
JBL
Boston Acustics
Old 07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

The above comment illustrates well what I'm talking about. If you want ear shattering inaccurate ghetto blaster bass at high SPL's then go Kicker. You are not looking for accuracy - you are looking for noise at ear damaging db levels.

From a true audio perspective where one is endeavouring to get sound approaching the source then go JL Audio or Infinity. Both will provide subtlety & nuance & at least by car audio standards be half accurate. You can also get away with crappy Class D amplification (frequently & incorrectly termed digital amplification). Just don't use class D for mids & highs - they suck!

I strongly recommend you go and listen before purchase. If you want a pretty good reference then go & listen to a Mark Levinson car system - Like Infinity (& JBL for that matter - but JBL is more Kicker like in sound) They are part of the Dr Sidney Harmon empire & at least have some decent sound engineers doing their design work & will stand behind their product when things go wrong.

The automobile is a hostile environment when it comes to achieving decent sound.

If you want a purely reference home audio sub to compare with the car sub you intend buying - go and listen to one of the high end servo controlled Velodyne products (must be a servo model) - That's what you should be aiming at in sub performance. There are other excellent subs - I'm just using Velodyne as an example.

It's not all about taste - it's about accuracy.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 PM

C230 coupe 2002
The above comment illustrates well what I'm talking about. If you want ear shattering inaccurate ghetto blaster bass at high SPL's then go Kicker. You are not looking for accuracy - you are looking for noise at ear damaging db levels.

From a true audio perspective where one is endeavouring to get sound approaching the source then go JL Audio or Infinity. Both will provide subtlety & nuance & at least by car audio standards be half accurate. You can also get away with crappy Class D amplification (frequently & incorrectly termed digital amplification). Just don't use class D for mids & highs - they suck!

I strongly recommend you go and listen before purchase. If you want a pretty good reference then go & listen to a Mark Levinson car system - Like Infinity (& JBL for that matter - but JBL is more Kicker like in sound) They are part of the Dr Sidney Harmon empire & at least have some decent sound engineers doing their design work & will stand behind their product when things go wrong.

The automobile is a hostile environment when it comes to achieving decent sound.

If you want a purely reference home audio sub to compare with the car sub you intend buying - go and listen to one of the high end servo controlled Velodyne products (must be a servo model) - That's what you should be aiming at in sub performance. There are other excellent subs - I'm just using Velodyne as an example.

It's not all about taste - it's about accuracy.
GLyn: The accuracy of the people around my town is , i will shatter every window possible on my way to the supermarket, and they love that so who am i to tell em it sounds like sh**.You want a nice sound, get a bose system. My sub sounds nice as long as i keep the level on -11 .
Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm afraid I consider Bose as junk too - including their domestic systems - Bose make lifestyle systems - not decent audio systems.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM

2002 c230 coupe
JL 12W3 in a custom fiberglass enclosure

JL 12W3 in a custom fiberglass enclosure powered by an Alpine PDX-5 located in the front passenger foot well.

With the lid on

Alpine W505 w/ NVE-P1 and CD changer which is identical to the stock unit. The P1 has been acting up, the docking module has been replaced but only works once in a while. I think the nav antenna is bad. I'm hoping to get this resolved asap. Otherwise the deck is pretty good, iphone/ipod videos are supported. I can burn a bunch of mp3s on a DVD and that's plenty. USB sticks are supported but the deck has to read and bank the tracks into memory. Great for long trips but not practical if you're usually doing short trips. It takes way too long to bank the tracks and difficult to choose tracks until the banking is finished. Nav is not bad when it's working. The bluetooth pairs with my blackberyy 8830 as soon as I turn on the car but can only upload a portion of my contacts. Not a big deal as I usually dial from my bb anyway.

Bluetooth Mic, this is probably the most practical feature. No more bluetooth headsets, I can now provide tech support while driving safely.

Sirius and Nav antenna. There's really not much to see other than the deck and antennas are exposed. I really wanted a sort of stealthy install.

Last edited by ebargados; 07-04-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 AM

C230 coupe 2002
I'm afraid I consider Bose as junk too - including their domestic systems - Bose make lifestyle systems - not decent audio systems.
Ok, i quit.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not being nasty - I'm just a high end audio nut & love top American audio gear.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 PM

C230 coupe 2002
I'm not being nasty - I'm just a high end audio nut & love top American audio gear.
I know
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 AM

2002 c230 coupe
Bose = Better Of with Something Else
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i agree, for subs get JL's and for speakers get infinity. Thats the combo i was running and i was pretty happy with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s