C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by unvmyc230
why do u think its a over kill
why do you need two 1000W subs? it'll just be too much bass....unless you like it when you can hear every screw in your car rattling.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 C230K Coupe
Originally Posted by NH7TR
No dude, the amps are in NO WAY turned up to near maximum capability! Just because I look stupid, and you can't see me, doesn't mean I am...hehe. I'm also sure that there are few electronics manufacturers that actually rate their equipment in true form. Yeah, all of it is rated at peak performance, done in a lab, at the perfect operating temperature as a simulated computer model. All manufacturers want to beef their products, but as the old Ebay saying goes, "It powers up, and the light comes on, but we have no way of testing the item" (One idiot had that sentence on an Ebay listing for a 19" color TV, what a real genius, huh?). The power rating that manufacturer's use for their specs, is nowhere near what you or I would actually get as an average consumer. Computer component manufacturer's use these tactics all the time. To include the size rating of the hard drive in your computer right now. Do you actually get the 500GB listed on HDD box? Certainly not, no one does. Everyone gets less. No one gets more, ...ever. It's the same with this topic. And I agree with the other comment in the thread, in reference to putting 920 watts into any set of coaxial speakers.....that would be the ultimate death sentence, or "Smoke testing", as I call it. I have never officially measured my wattage with any kind of meter, and now that I think about it, no one I know has. Hell, I haven't even measured the amperage draw when it's pumped up. Maybe one day I'll have a power issue and I will feel the urge to see, for now, not! BTW, One of my other ham radio buddies had a formula to calculate actual wattage by using the voltage and an average of the amperage draw, but for the life of me, I can't remember it.
Very true. Most respectable audio companies will at least tell which voltage their amps were rated, with 14.4 being a popular one. You kinda have to learn about who bloats and who rates conservatively or find a in depth review. Peak power doesn't tell the true story about the amp or it's power supply. We were simply saying that RMS is a much better way to measure/compare power specs.

BTW, the formula you're thinking of is Electrical Power = Voltage * Current. An easy way to remember it is that a Watt is a VA or VoltAmp. That way gives you a reminder on your units too

Last and most important thing, if it sounds good to you, who cares what others think. Do they have your ears or taste? Nope!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:00 AM

2003 C320 4matic
worth it putting subs in benz?

do you guys think its worth it to put 2 subs in a benz?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
What do you mean "worth it"?

I am a sound quality/autiophile type- not 16 year old "boom-boom" bass. I have a single 12" JBL GTi on an Arc Audio FD1200.1. It blends very well with my front stage (Rainbow Audio Germaniums on an A/D/S/ P840). However- when asked, it gets very loud and very low. Depending on your sub/amp combo a single sub setup is more than enough in most any car, aside from someone that's looking for strictly SPL. Aside from the first car I did when I was 16- I do single sub setups. Anything more is overkill. The technology that subs have these days- it's amazing the SPL you can get out of one- assuming the install is good and the enclosure is built well.

http://www.myspace.com/dennischeesegrobenstein - have a look at my pictures from my stereo install. I haven't added the most recent pictures when I cleaned up the trunk, deadened the doors some more, and swapped out the JBL GTi front stage with the Rainbows.

Last edited by bumpnzx3; 08-15-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
worth it? Do you think it is?

I require that my music has a nice low end. I, like bump don't need fat bass, but rather I appreciate the realism of a well rounded system. My own system uses a 10 dual voice coil powered by a 2 by 50 Watt amp powered by PPI in bridge mode.

My girl just ordered me some Polk Seps and a new Alpine Deck.

Awesome!

E
Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM

W203
Originally Posted by peedi
do you guys think its worth it to put 2 subs in a benz?
Put 10 subs in. Its worth it.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
coming from 1 L7 Kicker solo at 800watts RMS i will not put subs in my benz unless its something like a Bazooka tube.

I love bass and loved it in my old car.. to me its just not worth it. im content with the bose system in my car just wish it had a tad more bass.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
i have a system now i dont think i would put one in my next car

i do love bass tho but imo not that worth it, the trunk is tiny in our cars compared to other cars
Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 PM

W203
There's lots of space if you rip out the back seats and install 2 rows of 6 8" subs. Then throw a couple 12" in the spare tire, and more on each side of the trunk!

You be ballin' then!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM

2005 Mercedes Benz C230K SS
.... easy on the kid boys... he'll grow out of it eventually!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 c230SS
Theres so much ignorance about CA flowing in this thread.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have the premium stereo (HK or Bose, depending on the year) probably not.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM

White C
yea man..wtvr floats ur boat..
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Aftermarket Amp and Subs

Yes this subject has been beat to death. And I'm sorry for another thread, but I didn't see an official "aftermarket sub/amp" thread while I was STFFs.

So heres my questions. I have a 07 C230 with a stock headunit and stock system, no bose, no Nav just the basics.

1. Do I have a stock sub? and do I have a stock amp?
2. If I do have a stock sub is it possible to just replace it with something nicer? or add a nicer amp to give it some more juice?
3. I have read diff things about the power wire for the amp. Is there a place in the trunk I can use to get the power for the amp? or do I need to connect it directly to the battery?
4.Will installing an aftermarket amp and sub trip somekind of error codes either by using the rear speakers as my inputs, or in anyother way?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Originally Posted by basikstylz
Yes this subject has been beat to death. And I'm sorry for another thread, but I didn't see an official "aftermarket sub/amp" thread while I was STFFs.

So heres my questions. I have a 07 C230 with a stock headunit and stock system, no bose, no Nav just the basics.

No and No, at least not to my knowledge, this setup would only come with the Bose setup.
2. If I do have a stock sub is it possible to just replace it with something nicer? or add a nicer amp to give it some more juice?
Doesn't apply due to your first question.
3. I have read diff things about the power wire for the amp. Is there a place in the trunk I can use to get the power for the amp? or do I need to connect it directly to the battery?
I have read several options on this. It IS possible to draw power from your rear SAM to power an Amp, but I think it is not recommended. It may cause errors or worse. I would hook it straight up to your battery, I even think there is a opening in the firewall you can use, actually, someone JUST had a post about this.
4.Will installing an aftermarket amp and sub trip somekind of error codes either by using the rear speakers as my inputs, or in anyother way?
Wouldn't know for sure, I still have the stock setup in my car. I wouldn't think it would though.

Thanks in advance!!
I put my answers in red. This is just from what I know, and that isn't a whole lot as I still have the stock stereo system in my car, I have however installed many a aftermarket system in other cars.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM

2011 E350 4matic
i am no expert here, but i am pretty sure with a stock system you could add an external amp, but you would probably want to add new speakers too at that point. crutchfield is a great resource, you can always call them and find out what fits in your car.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
nope- you don't have a sub. even if you did- simply replacing it with a better sub wouldn't yield much since it would still be powered by the stock amp.

i ran the power wire from the battery on back. not saying you can't use the SAM, i just didn't care to venture down that road.

no worries on tripping any codes- just be sure to keep the key out of the ignition when disconnecting or connecting the power. also be sure to correctly disconnect the battery before doing any work.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 c230SS
1. NO

2.n/a

3. Yes there is somewhere to run the in the trunk (the fuse box) but dont do it that is horrible you wont draw anywhere near as much power as running to the the battery. Its really not that hard to do it just be careful I ran 0 guage.

4.No dont worry bout codes but bump gave you some good advice about this and I would listen to that.

Basically its all easy except for the LOC. That is def the most difficult part but trust me its all worth.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Your car does not have a sub, nor an amplifier outside the head unit. The head unit has a pretty good four channel amp inside. The stock head unit does not have a line level output, so if you desire a sub and amp the connection to the speaker wires is your best bet. It is also easier, because you do not need access to the head unit.

There is a # 8 wire from the front of the car that powers the trunk. This wire can carry 24 amps using the conservative 700 circular mils per amp rule. This is more than enough to run an amp for a 10 inch sub. Using current from the rear SAM will not cause any errors. The optional Harman Kardon amplifier that mounts in the trunk, draws it's power from this source. From 2005 model year Bose components were not fitted as the optional premium sound system.

While it is possible to run a huge wire from the battery to the trunk, it is counter productive. A # 0 AWG wire can carry 150 amps. Wonderful right? Where is that current going to come from? The battery can supply this for a short period, but the alternator is only rated 90 or optionally 120 amps. About 25 amps is needed to run the drive train, so a huge wire cannot be serviced to it's capacity. It also adds weight, which you pay for at the gas pump. If 150 amps were being used, that would be 1900 watts! That would be enough current to gold plate the wheel on the spare tire! In actual practice only about 4 amps is necessary to move your fleshy hind quarter with a properly designed sub and enclosure. Any more than 50 watts, it will be too loud to stay in the car.

I have installed an Infinity Basslink II in a few C class cars. With the optional 4 channel amp for the door speakers, it sounds better than the few hundred dollars it costs. Sound dampening using Dynamat on the rear doors and package shelf quiets an undesirable buzz in the rear. The front doors don't see much improvement from application.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Pr...cts.pis.vF.pdf

http://dynamat.com/download/specs/22...mat_Xtreme.pdf
Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Moviela
Your car does not have a sub, nor an amplifier outside the head unit. The head unit has a pretty good four channel amp inside. The stock head unit does not have a line level output, so if you desire a sub and amp the connection to the speaker wires is your best bet. It is also easier, because you do not need access to the head unit.

There is a # 8 wire from the front of the car that powers the trunk. This wire can carry 24 amps using the conservative 700 circular mils per amp rule. This is more than enough to run an amp for a 10 inch sub. Using current from the rear SAM will not cause any errors. The optional Harman Kardon amplifier that mounts in the trunk, draws it's power from this source. From 2005 model year Bose components were not fitted as the optional premium sound system.

While it is possible to run a huge wire from the battery to the trunk, it is counter productive. A # 0 AWG wire can carry 150 amps. Wonderful right? Where is that current going to come from? The battery can supply this for a short period, but the alternator is only rated 90 or optionally 120 amps. About 25 amps is needed to run the drive train, so a huge wire cannot be serviced to it's capacity. It also adds weight, which you pay for at the gas pump. If 150 amps were being used, that would be 1900 watts! That would be enough current to gold plate the wheel on the spare tire! In actual practice only about 4 amps is necessary to move your fleshy hind quarter with a properly designed sub and enclosure. Any more than 50 watts, it will be too loud to stay in the car.

I have installed an Infinity Basslink II in a few C class cars. With the optional 4 channel amp for the door speakers, it sounds better than the few hundred dollars it costs. Sound dampening using Dynamat on the rear doors and package shelf quiets an undesirable buzz in the rear. The front doors don't see much improvement from application.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Pr...cts.pis.vF.pdf

http://dynamat.com/download/specs/22...mat_Xtreme.pdf
Please note that Moviela is talking real watts RMS - all channels driven - Not the BS wimpy peak power ratings for a microsecond that the amp manufacturers quote which are totally & utterly meaningless.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM

E350

Prob Not

Never power a stock sub with an aftermarket amp or vice versa, will sound like shi$ and you will end up getting a woofer in an enclosure in your trunk anyways. Do it right the first time.

Always, always go to the battery with @ least an 8guage wire fused 18-24 inches from the battery

Not if it is done properly, make sure you get a FULL RANGE signal to your amplifier (never tag a factory subwoofer or factory Mid woofer, always the full range speaker) for your new woofer to sound proper and the crossover on your amplifier to work well.
Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 AM

'95 sl 320 / '06 c230
Exclamation Need help installing subs and amp !!!!

ight so i just bought 2 12in. MTX subs and a amp, and i wanna know if it possible to hook up the amp and sub while still keeping my stock center consule, lol, i dont want my mom tripping out about the car being changed, so if u no a way that i can install the amp and sub without changing my center cosule please let me no A.S.A.P., if i need to buy somehting to make it work ill do it, but i want to keep my stock center consule, also, if u can, please provide detailed instructions on the full installation and/or pictures. thanks a billion, will provide pics of finished product if completed, lol
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by vnersesi
ight so i just bought 2 12in. MTX subs and a amp, and i wanna know if it possible to hook up the amp and sub while still keeping my stock center consule, lol, i dont want my mom tripping out about the car being changed, so if u no a way that i can install the amp and sub without changing my center cosule please let me no A.S.A.P., if i need to buy somehting to make it work ill do it, but i want to keep my stock center consule, also, if u can, please provide detailed instructions on the full installation and/or pictures. thanks a billion, will provide pics of finished product if completed, lol
maybe you can find some info. here,

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/203690-how-adding-sub-your-stock-bose-system-line-output-convertor.html
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Thats the same thread I was going to forward him to, lol. Its a setup for an E class so it may be a little bit different but worth a shot. You should also search the forum yourself and see what you come up with.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by vnersesi
Your mom would get mad?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: aftermarket SUBS & AMPS for the C-Class 203s