C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Intercooler (Free install in Toronto...1day special)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350 bluetec
Intercooler (Free install in Toronto...1day special)

Did anyone notice the 1 day special on intercoolers? Free install in the Toronto GTA area.

Got mine installed tonight in north end of Richmond Hill, from Winter Wonderland Motor Sports. They claim at least 30 degree Celcuis temp drop over the stock intercooler at room temp (20C).

Pulls great, didn't dyno, but the seat of my pants dyno says about 15-20hp more.

It's been a long time since I have done physics, but I'm sure some of the experts on the thread can elaborate.

Anyhow, here is some of my rule of thumb calcs to backup my pant dyno numbers....from what I recall (disclaimer... it has been a while and I am not referencing anything...) from the gas laws P=VT. So Zero degrees Celcius is 273 Kelvin. Lets say temp of boosted air is say 320 degrees Kelvin (at 293 outside temp), 30 degree C drop is just shy of 10% temp drop. Assuming pressure is constant (ie. we're not chaning altitude nor changing pulleys), volume has to increase just shy of 10% to keep pressure constant. (For the inquring minds out there who can't get their hands on one of these intercoolers, just take an empty pop bottle, but close the top, and put in your freezer, watch how temp drop shrunk the bottle, ie. if the top were open you would have got more air in there...)

This means 10% more air, it's like getting 10% bigger engine, 10% of 192hp is 19.2, so I would say my ballpark guesstimate was about right on!

You guys in the GTA should go get your 230K fixed up with the intercooler while the 1 day special is still on.

BTW...
It's freeken cold out tonight.... temp gauge showed -14C (7F...), of course without the wind chill...

Actually that means the temp drop should have been 34C from room temp... Hey, wait a sec... maybe I got a bit over 10% gain in HP...

If you didn't get yours wait till the 45 degree drop intercooler is available, should be around Jan/Feb timeframe...
Old 12-03-2002, 01:20 AM

2002 C240 Classic
where are they in richmond hill? i know the area very well as i did a lot of work there? also, do they sell any merc parts or just installers?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:29 AM

2010 ML350 bluetec
Hi Antonio,
If you took your car out yesterday/this morning you also got the "free intercooler upgrade"...

Nice weather, eh? -15C this morning and -25C with windchill.

As per the gas law (pressure/volume/temp relationship), with the temp drop you should have noticed the "free" power boost in your car... Approx 2/3 of what a pulley upgrade would do. Of course if you had the pulley and the cold weather, the benefits should stack...

Also, I think it would be *impossible* to heat soak your intercooler today... I bet that windchill just rips the heat out of the intercooler... so the net effect after some hard runs could even be bigger.

There's little I like about winter (other than it means Santa is coming soon...) but the free performance boost is a little bright spot I gotta enjoy... only took her up to 150-160km last night on the north end of the 404... didn't want to push my luck as with 50km over the limit I was already in automatic license loss range, and it's hard to spot the cops at night... but it was still a nice drive.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:40 AM

2002 C240 Classic
does that mean that you got a free intercooler and installation? how do these guys make money if they give things for free???
Old 12-03-2002, 10:10 AM

2010 ML350 bluetec
antonio...
Sorry I thought my last post would make my tongue in cheek response clearer...

*Anyone*, including you, got the upgrade in power today. When temp really drops, you gotta go take your car out and drive it like you stole it. Some people like the cold for the skiing/skating etc.. not me, as long as there is no snow/black ice, I like to go driving...

The whole point of an intercooler and compressor is to get more volume of air into your engine. The really chilly temps outside does the same thing...
Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was supposed to be funny, ha, ha! BTW, it's sunny and clear here in the low 70's.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:40 AM

2002 C240 Classic
oooooh, now i get it. i was wondering what all that physics stuff was. btw, im not slow. i actually dont like the cold because my car feels like it doesnt move as smooth as september weather. tranny is really sticky too. oh well, gotta love toronto. what do you expect, we live in igloos. hehehe.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:07 PM

Yeah, not to mention our igloos are better than those Alaskan igloos

Where is this shop? Wow, I wonder if they would do free installation for springs Where do you guys do your mods for your car (and doesn't rip you off)?