C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Hi 'ya, newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi 'ya, newbie question

Hi folks,

I just bought my wife a C240 today and had a couple of questions.

Prior to buying this car, I looked at everything in the luxury / sport sedan market and decided that the MB looked the best buy for the money. I read a few negatives, but for the most part the majority was positive. How would the users on this board judge the MB quality and reliability?

Also, I post regularly on a Toyota board (my vehicle is a '98 4Runner, modded out for off road) and have found a lot of good people there. Is there anyone in Arizona that could direct me to a good shop in AZ for purchasing aftermarket equipment such as wheels, performance goodies, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited by azrain; 12-07-2002 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Banned

As I am sure most here will tell you, a Mercedes is far more reliable than any Toyota, Honda, or other such junk.

It's a Mercedes, after all. A "Benz."
Old 12-07-2002, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I'm not going to tell you that it will be reliable just because it is a Benz. But the C240 is now in its third model year and it seems like most of the bugs have been worked out. So you shouldn't have too many problems. Mechanically, it is great. The numerous electronics in the car would probably be the only issue. But this is what you have warranty for.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:31 PM

Thanks Matt,

I accepted only the base warranty as we will only have the car for two or three years.

The last MB that I drove didn't seem all that great, but when I drove this car, it feels solid and sure, that is what nailed it down for me. Looked at the 320, but $4000 seemed a bit much for horsepower that I could possibly "tune" into the 240. Regardless, the car moves along quite well and is a looker, even stock. Some 17's and glass tint should take care of adding that last bit of MB class I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, as I've learned on all of my vehicles, once you start modding, it's difficult to stop ! Ohhhh, I can feel the bank account hemorrhaging already!

Mike
Old 12-07-2002, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
If you're only keeping it for two or three years, you should be just fine. The only real issue that I know still isn't fixed is that the BAS/ESP comes on the screen and says to visit workshop. There was a fix for this in '02. But apparently there is still a problem and there is a new fix for '03's that involves some kind of new wiring harness. So if you get this message, just take it to your dealer. And the ESP does still work even if it says this.

Hope you enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Originally posted by MacPhisto
As I am sure most here will tell you, a Mercedes is far more reliable than any Toyota, Honda, or other such junk.

It's a Mercedes, after all. A "Benz."
not really that funny... the guy is new here and trying to ask a real question.

Virtually no one on this forum will tell you that M-B reliability for the W203 is rock solid. Aside from a few cases, however, most of the problems are not critical (error codes, rattles, fuel gauge, etc). Also the C240s and C320s seem to be slightly more reliable than the C230 coupes.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by azrain
Some 17's and glass tint should take care of adding that last bit of MB class I'm looking for.

Mike
Welcome Mike.

A couple of hints. Be careful on the window tinting. The bottom of the tint on the windows, due to the internal door design, will have some minute scratches unless you use moleskin. There are several threads on this forum about it.
Also, you might want to search under 'DAS settings' to reset your speed control volume of the factory HU and get the 'No Phone' screen removed.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Originally posted by azrain
Thanks Matt,

I accepted only the base warranty as we will only have the car for two or three years.

The last MB that I drove didn't seem all that great, but when I drove this car, it feels solid and sure, that is what nailed it down for me. Looked at the 320, but $4000 seemed a bit much for horsepower that I could possibly "tune" into the 240. Regardless, the car moves along quite well and is a looker, even stock. Some 17's and glass tint should take care of adding that last bit of MB class I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, as I've learned on all of my vehicles, once you start modding, it's difficult to stop ! Ohhhh, I can feel the bank account hemorrhaging already!

Mike
Welcome and ignore all the negative remarks from people
Old 12-08-2002, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Originally posted by Matt230K
If you're only keeping it for two or three years, you should be just fine. The only real issue that I know still isn't fixed is that the BAS/ESP comes on the screen and says to visit workshop. There was a fix for this in '02. But apparently there is still a problem and there is a new fix for '03's that involves some kind of new wiring harness. So if you get this message, just take it to your dealer. And the ESP does still work even if it says this.

Hope you enjoy it.
So they have a new fix,since mine is a 2003, i have the BAS and Esp going on and off. I just ignore it but when the first service comes up i will let them know.

My question is what is it excatly, is it dangerous to drive without. When i turn my car on i always turn off ESP anyways.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Welcome aboard, Mike...

As far as RELIABILITY goes (the stuff that leaves you on the side of the road) you will find an occasional post here about engine stalling, but such are few and far between...

As far as "Reliability" goes (delivery defects or electronic glitches that are annoyances, but not RELIABILITY isues at all) you will find a plethora of nit picks, and opinions on how the cars "should" be.

The variety makes the forum interesting, but it will be up to you to determine for yourself with time whether the comments are major (or minor) enough to influence how you like your car. In the meantime, enjoy your new ride, and let us see some pictures when convenient!!!
Old 12-08-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by Mercedes
So they have a new fix,since mine is a 2003, i have the BAS and Esp going on and off. I just ignore it but when the first service comes up i will let them know.

My question is what is it excatly, is it dangerous to drive without. When i turn my car on i always turn off ESP anyways.
Yes, there is a new, different fix for 2003. I think they tried to fix the problem for '03, but it still didn't work, so now they do something with a wiring harness to fix it. I am not positive if this fix is for the coupe. I know it is for the sedans. Just take it to your dealer when you do service. It is safe, or else they would probably recall all of them to fix it.

Why do you always turn off ESP? It's there to help you. I know it does interfere with fun driving sometimes and you can turn it off then, but there are other times when it can help you. If you understeer or oversteer into a turn (not on purpose), it will help to stop that. And with normal driving, it pretty much isn't needed. But you have to look at that bright orange triangle all the time.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:11 PM

Welcome Azrain.

Welcome Mike. I am pretty new to this forum too. Enjoy this site. I learn a lot from the other members. ENJOY!!!
Old 12-08-2002, 06:55 PM

Thanks all,

I'm pretty much used to at least one dissenter on the forums, so no biggie. We have one over at 4X4Wire that's pretty negative toward anyone's mods or questions. To each their own I guess...

My wife took a long drive today and really loves the car. It's our first MB (we've had a BMW and a Lexus prior to this car), so it's a new experience for us, however a pleasant one.

Also, thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll be searching the threads on a regular basis!

Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 10:05 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
welcome.

i definitely agree with MB-BOB.

how often do you see a mercedes (doesn't matter how old) broken down by the side of the road other than the case of flat tires.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:48 PM

1998 ML 320, 2001 C 240, 2002 CLK 320
have mine for two year with only two minor problem.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:49 AM

2001 C240 6spd
azrain..

Welcome. I live down in Tucson, but spend alot of time up in Phoenix. If tires/wheels you are looking for...then there is a place that is fairly reasonable - sorry, the name eludes me at this time, but when I remember, I will let you know. There is also Evolution Motor Sports (not to be confused with Evosport in Southern CA) that is now starting to carry Kleemann items. If you talk to the guys over at Schumacher MB - they are big Renntech fans there. But they are hesitant for most people to mod their cars. Good luck. Enjoy the car.

Scott
Old 12-09-2002, 12:17 PM

C320 Sport Wagon
Welcome

I think you will find your new 240 a pleasant and enjoyable ride. Most issues with the MB concern minor electronic glitches which are for the most part quickly solved under warranty. After three years of the model run most major items seem to have ironed out. One thing you can be assured of is that you are in probably the safest vehicle on the road. Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by AndrewK
Also the C240s and C320s seem to be slightly more reliable than the C230 coupes.
I think since there are more coupe than sedan owners on the W203 forum just makes it seem like this is the case - my guess is that their is probably no difference. Remember in Germany where most of them are built (well, all of the coupes and some of the sedans), the coupe isn't considered to be as down-market as it is in the US.

Cheers, BT

PS: azrain - welcome aboard and enjoy the car!
Old 12-09-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
azrain,

Harrison Conner Automotive in Scottsdale (BTW they do awesome work) sells RENNtech accesories as well as Motorsports of Scottsdale.

Schumaker MB will do installs too, but always are concerned with warranty issues. Ask for Ian in parts there, he will hook you up. They just did an ECU upgrade for a customers new CLK.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:35 PM

Cool, I'll start some dialouge with some of these AZ folks... The only enjoyment I'll get out of the car is the maintenance and the mods. I'm too much of a redneck and they don't let me drive a Benz! Hell, the dealer was putting a plastic cover on the seat just for me!

j/k, they were quite nice and I did enjoy the fact that the dealer and the buying experience was not like buying at a high volume place.

The wife just loves the car, she can't get over all the toys inside. Glad she enjoys it. Now, if they made the GWagen with 33's and a 6:1 crawl ratio right out of the box, maybe I could have a Benz too!

Mike