C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What springs do you have on your springs-only setup?
Eibach
0%
H&R
45.45%
TEIN
36.36%
Vogtland
0%
Brabus
9.09%
AMG on a non-Kompressor
0%
Carlsson
9.09%
Lorinser
0%
Renntech
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Springs on stock struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz c230
Springs on stock struts

The the Suspension thread is very valuable, but it is getting overwhelming with the 15 pages of info covering everything from wheel gaps, springs and strut combinations, coilovers, cup kits and everything in between. Rims and tires have snuck their way into the thread. Can we have a thread dedicated to those who just want aftermarket springs on Stock struts? Whether is a good idea or bad, some of us do want to do it.

For those who have already done the supsension change, please share your experiences here using this format:
Car yr, type, model
Springs you used
Why you chose those vs the others
Your experience with how much it lowered
Your experience with comfort
Your experience with performance
How long have you had them installed?
DIY or did you pay for installation. How much?

You can thank Drexappeal for the inclusive spring list from post #77 of the Suspension thread

- PREMATURE STRUT FAILURE:
Be warned that upgrading springs whether they be Eibach, H&R, TEINS or other will wear out the stock struts prematurely. One member (from STF) has guessed 20,000 miles before they need replacement. Others may have different opinions.

AMOUNT OF DROP OF TEIN STECH'S:
- If you plan to install TEIN (TEchnology INnovation) STech (part number SKG00-AU00), expect a 2.3" drop in the front and a 1" drop in the rear for c240's. Expect a .6" drop in the front and a .7" drop in the rear for Kompressor SS's. Yes, both applications use the same part number of TEIN springs. Since the c240 has a higher stock suspension, it has a larger drop than the c230 Kompressor which is already much lower.

FAQ:
- No, it's not recommended to cut your springs (though one member cut 1/2 a coil and it looks perfect!)
- Difference btw coilover setup and cup kit is that coilover's are adjustable in height and some in damping. Cup kit has no adjustability.
- Average price for installing springs at a shop is around $150-200 (in California)
- Price range for set of springs (depending on company) is $185-275.

Last edited by casper_c230; 05-12-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
y not have another thread for aftermarket shocks on stock springs?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 w203,85 w123
Great idea MJ! Sure would help a newbie like myself trying to figure out what I wanna do concerning my suspension! I'm dying to drop it,but I think only about an 1.5 inches though & not sure if thats a bad idea while I still have my stock 16inch wheels/tires on! I sure love the look of all the dropped rides on the forum!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
i got just tein s.tech springs in my otherwise stock suspension. ride is very firm.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
lowering spring :sla p:
Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by casper_c230
...Can we have a thread dedicated to those who just want aftermarket springs on Stock struts?...
Aftermarket springs are ill-suited for appropriate ride and handling characteristics with your OE Sachs dampers.
The lack of worthwhile responses thus far should be indicative of that fact.

Per your request:

’02 sedan, C32
H&R 52732 (F), 52792-2 (R)
Manufactured in Germany. TUV approved and 9001 QAS certified.
1.75" (F), .5" (R)
Improved. Lost its flaccid feel.
Improved. Reduced understeer.
Two months, before installing upgraded dampers. 18 months thereafter.
DIY = 0$ installation labor.

That you’ve searched and studied the issue is commendable. It’s as if you already know the proper course of action but wish it weren’t so. If the investment required for PSS9’s or KW’s is not currently within your budget, at least wait until you can install high quality conventional Koni or Bilstein parts concurrently with your performance-enhancing spring upgrade.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Mercedes Benz c230
Originally Posted by splinter
Aftermarket springs are ill-suited for appropriate ride and handling characteristics with your OE Sachs dampers.
The lack of worthwhile responses thus far should be indicative of that fact.

Per your request:

’02 sedan, C32
H&R 52732 (F), 52792-2 (R)
Manufactured in Germany. TUV approved and 9001 QAS certified.
1.75" (F), .5" (R)
Improved. Lost its flaccid feel.
Improved. Reduced understeer.
Two months, before installing upgraded dampers. 18 months thereafter.
DIY = 0$ installation labor.

That you’ve searched and studied the issue is commendable. It’s as if you already know the proper course of action but wish it weren’t so. If the investment required for PSS9’s or KW’s is not currently within your budget, at least wait until you can install high quality conventional Koni or Bilstein parts concurrently with your performance-enhancing spring upgrade.
Thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated. I was planning on installing springs for now and MAYBE replacing shocks when the blow. You're right, my budget is way below the $1,000 mark for a coilover setup. you're a pretty good mind reader concerning my perception on the whole idea of springs and lowering.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Mercedes Benz c230
Originally Posted by kevblah
i got just tein s.tech springs in my otherwise stock suspension. ride is very firm.
Thanks for your response. How did you pick TEIN's over H&R's? I'm pretty much set with going on springs, but just wondering which brand to go with.

H&R doesn't specify lowering height differences between the Kompressor and non Kompressors, so it's hard to compare with the TEINS that specifically specify expected height changes after the installation.

Are TEINS known to be more stiff and H&R's? Or the other way around?

I'm only hesitant on the TEINS even though they're cheaper b/c I just would rather have the black H&R's under my ride than an ugly green. I know no one will see it, but i like the OEM look. Performance is much more important to me than the silly color, but right now I have nothing to go on in terms of the difference btw TEIN and H&R. any thoughts?