C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My MB Horror Story with the Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLACK 05 C230SS
My MB Horror Story with the Dealer

So I got the dreaded Check Engine light about 4 weeks ago. I go to the dealer and have the check engine light checked and also got my airbag recall that I never done and also the vacuum hose replacement. They replaced my front airbag at no cost and also did the vacuum hose and than told me they could not figure out the check engine light thing because it wasn't happening.

I leave the place and about 2 miles the engine light come on again...argh!!! I bring it back to the dealer the very next day and than I tell them the story. I got the car back at the end of the day and they told me I had a "Blown" vacuum hose and they replaced it. I thought to myself, maybe the mechanic didn't put the first vacuum hose in right and it probably slipped out or something. I leave the place and when I get home about 10 miles or so, the "bloody light" comes on again.. How frustrating..

I bring the car back again to the deal the next day and I get the Service Advisor telling me, its not my day. He checks the car and see's the Check Engine light is on again. Later in the day, I get a call and he tells me the tech says its the O2 Sensor. So they replace the O2 sensor (the front one) which they diagnose it was bad. I had to leave the car because they needed to order the part and than got the car back the 2nd day.

So I go home and being happy because I have warranty until next year of 09 and think to myself, I need to get rid of this thing before the warranty expires because I don't plan on getting an extended warranty for $3000.00. The next day, the check engine light goes on and I just @#!$%!#%$#.... me..

I take the car back to the dealer and than the SA says this is really odd. Have to leave the car a bit longer to have the tech check this out. I leave the car in for 1 darn week and they can't figure it out, they had the "supertech" which is the Forman or whatever they call it check it out and can't figure it out. They told me they where having a Master Tech come in from Mercedes HeadQuarters to come over to the dealership and Diagnose the car. The next 2 weeks they had my car and I had some really bad C280 loaner which was pretty beatup. I wish I had a newer model to at least test drive it and see if I had an option to trade it in for one but I didn't get it.

So today I might get my car back or tomorrow says the SA. They told me they ordered a "NEW COMPUTER" (I think costs $1000.00) and going to replace it and surely they believe that is the final cause of the problem.

Don't you guys think they should have offered me car replacement or some deal for me to trade this **** in and give me a break on a new one?? I thought about the Lemon Law but I think I might be too late for it. My car is a 2005 c230SS with only 17800K miles on it... for crying out loud. Its still new!!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM

MB
Originally Posted by razorfish228
So I got the dreaded Check Engine light about 4 weeks ago. I go to the dealer and have the check engine light checked and also got my airbag recall that I never done and also the vacuum hose replacement. They replaced my front airbag at no cost and also did the vacuum hose and than told me they could not figure out the check engine light thing because it wasn't happening.

I leave the place and about 2 miles the engine light come on again...argh!!! I bring it back to the dealer the very next day and than I tell them the story. I got the car back at the end of the day and they told me I had a "Blown" vacuum hose and they replaced it. I thought to myself, maybe the mechanic didn't put the first vacuum hose in right and it probably slipped out or something. I leave the place and when I get home about 10 miles or so, the "bloody light" comes on again.. How frustrating..

I bring the car back again to the deal the next day and I get the Service Advisor telling me, its not my day. He checks the car and see's the Check Engine light is on again. Later in the day, I get a call and he tells me the tech says its the O2 Sensor. So they replace the O2 sensor (the front one) which they diagnose it was bad. I had to leave the car because they needed to order the part and than got the car back the 2nd day.

So I go home and being happy because I have warranty until next year of 09 and think to myself, I need to get rid of this thing before the warranty expires because I don't plan on getting an extended warranty for $3000.00. The next day, the check engine light goes on and I just @#!$%!#%$#.... me..

I take the car back to the dealer and than the SA says this is really odd. Have to leave the car a bit longer to have the tech check this out. I leave the car in for 1 darn week and they can't figure it out, they had the "supertech" which is the Forman or whatever they call it check it out and can't figure it out. They told me they where having a Master Tech come in from Mercedes HeadQuarters to come over to the dealership and Diagnose the car. The next 2 weeks they had my car and I had some really bad C280 loaner which was pretty beatup. I wish I had a newer model to at least test drive it and see if I had an option to trade it in for one but I didn't get it.

So today I might get my car back or tomorrow says the SA. They told me they ordered a "NEW COMPUTER" (I think costs $1000.00) and going to replace it and surely they believe that is the final cause of the problem.

Don't you guys think they should have offered me car replacement or some deal for me to trade this **** in and give me a break on a new one?? I thought about the Lemon Law but I think I might be too late for it. My car is a 2005 c230SS with only 17800K miles on it... for crying out loud. Its still new!!
Was it MB of Manhattan? Who was your SA?
Similar story happened to me few months back. But that was about oil burning. The best part of it was the foreman telling me not to ever add the oil but bring the car to them. After 4 trips to the dealer I eventually gave op on this.
Somehow i noticed the change in their attitude when it comes to cars with warranty about to expire, so i dont go there anymore
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450

Let me get this straight:
The car is 3 years old, 17,800 miles.
It has had 4 occurrences of the Check Engine light
Didn't leave you stranded
They've done everything so far under warranty

so now the 'owe' you a new car, or a deal on a trade?

They're working at fixing the problem, you're not out of pocket for anything, and they put you in a loaner. How do you figure that they owe you more?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Grom
My money is on it being something as simple like a loose cable etc...... lol. Did they tell you what codes it was throwing?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Ouch! I'm about to take mine in today. It started to idle real rough and the CEL came on.

I thought it was bad gas, so i added Techron cleaner and filled up the tank. It's still doing it, and now i swear i'm hearing a vacuum leak. I'm hoping it's the recall that is mentioned on here.

I have an 05 as well, hopefully i won't have to go through the same issues.

*crosses fingers*
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
I agree. They're doing you a favor right now by going the extra mile and enlisting help from outside the area. In fact, I'd say they are doing their job.

And, you've had a loaner the whole time. I'd say a lot of thank you's.

Granted, the problem wasn't fixed the first time, but at least they aren't stopping, and in fact, getting extra help to make sure it is fixed.

Thumbs up to them for at least trying, and trying, and trying, and not charging you a dime.

Originally Posted by dmatre

They're working at fixing the problem, you're not out of pocket for anything, and they put you in a loaner. How do you figure that they owe you more?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 AM

MB
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
I agree. They're doing you a favor right now by going the extra mile and enlisting help from outside the area. In fact, I'd say they are doing their job.

And, you've had a loaner the whole time. I'd say a lot of thank you's.

Granted, the problem wasn't fixed the first time, but at least they aren't stopping, and in fact, getting extra help to make sure it is fixed.

Thumbs up to them for at least trying, and trying, and trying, and not charging you a dime.
They are doing a favor? What kind of favor is that? They are obligated to fix the problem by the sales contract which includes warranty parts and labor. They can bring and consult anyone they want, but the car has to be fixed
"Thank you" for a loaner? that is not a favor either, its MBUSA policy and also written in the sales contract.
Thumbs down for trying and trying and trying. This is not a mechanics school, the warranty money have been included into the price of the vehicle and payed upfront.
Is this car a lemon? Definitely no, but if the MB cant find the problem that means they dont do everything they should have done. This is not a rocket science, they have all the tools necessary to get to the bottom of it
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Originally Posted by BKLYN_C
They are doing a favor? What kind of favor is that? They are obligated to fix the problem by the sales contract which includes warranty parts and labor. They can bring and consult anyone they want, but the car has to be fixed
"Thank you" for a loaner? that is not a favor either, its MBUSA policy and also written in the sales contract.
Thumbs down for trying and trying and trying. This is not a mechanics school, the warranty money have been included into the price of the vehicle and payed upfront.
Is this car a lemon? Definitely no, but if the MB cant find the problem that means they dont do everything they should have done. This is not a rocket science, they have all the tools necessary to get to the bottom of it
Wow! Thanks for that comment. I am not hunting them down for a new car or a refund, I'm just annoyed that I have to go through all of this because they have all the tools for these cars and I had a bad car from the get go. I am happy that they were persistant on getting the job done but it was my misfortune that they are doing the guessing game on the car and not getting to the bottom of it in the first place.

The other comment about the location; I am servicing my car at the MB SilverStar out in Long Island City. Its not really bad at all and I am happy with their service. I purchased my car there and did have problems when I first got the car in the first place. I had a scatched up wheel which came off the truck and the car wasn't detailed when I delivered because it was a weekend delivery. They gave me a free detail on the next visit and that was about it. I always have problems getting a loaner and that was my biggest issue because I didn't have one until the second week of the issues. I had to be without a car and that was my disappointment.

I am not happy with MB for these problems and am looking towards moving into the BMW path path now. The zero maintenance plans they have for 4 years and or if you purchase a certified preowned with a 7 yr/100k seem very attractive. Even with this horrible recession we are going thru, I'd like a car with a good warranty and reliability. Don't get me wrong, I love MB but BMW seems nice and I know they have their own problems. I just can't drive japanese cars anymore because I like the german handling and the feeling that the car feels like a tank rolling around which I love about these cars.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM

none
Dman sorry to hear about that, hope you get something done. I have had BMW's and now first time with a MB, so far so good! only planning on keeping it for about 1year then might go back to BMW
Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM

'14 CLA 45

No, no ... let me get this straight!

Although it is the cheapest car in the lineup of MBUSA, it still costs quite a bit of money and we expect to have a car that at least gets us almost worry free through the 4year 50k miles warranty. And this is definitely not too much to ask.

I'm sorry, but a loaner and several attempts to solve the problem do not make up for their incompetence. It is as if they just go the necessary steps to solve the problem for a few days and then it is upon the owner again. They cant install a hose properly, then suddenly its a faulty O2 sensor which they did not check before?

You must have tons of patience if you were to go to the dealership several times due to the same problem because they were to incompetent to take the car for a spin of a few miles to avoid the light coming back on after a day worth driving.

I feel for you razor. Unfortunately you are one of the few who experiences MB's crappy customer service. If their management is too stupid to give him a better loaner and give him a few small perks too show THEIR APPRECIATION for him having this kind of patience for their incompetence, they might not lose a customer.

STUPID STUPID MBUSA - look at razors last post
Old 12-04-2008, 02:06 PM

MB
Wow! Thanks for that comment. I am not hunting them down for a new car or a refund, I'm just annoyed that I have to go through all of this because they have all the tools for these cars and I had a bad car from the get go. I am happy that they were persistant on getting the job done but it was my misfortune that they are doing the guessing game on the car and not getting to the bottom of it in the first place.

The other comment about the location; I am servicing my car at the MB SilverStar out in Long Island City. Its not really bad at all and I am happy with their service. I purchased my car there and did have problems when I first got the car in the first place. I had a scatched up wheel which came off the truck and the car wasn't detailed when I delivered because it was a weekend delivery. They gave me a free detail on the next visit and that was about it. I always have problems getting a loaner and that was my biggest issue because I didn't have one until the second week of the issues. I had to be without a car and that was my disappointment.

I am not happy with MB for these problems and am looking towards moving into the BMW path path now. The zero maintenance plans they have for 4 years and or if you purchase a certified preowned with a 7 yr/100k seem very attractive. Even with this horrible recession we are going thru, I'd like a car with a good warranty and reliability. Don't get me wrong, I love MB but BMW seems nice and I know they have their own problems. I just can't drive japanese cars anymore because I like the german handling and the feeling that the car feels like a tank rolling around which I love about these cars.
Call MBUSA and file a complaint. Give them all the details but tod try to hide any facts or exaggerate anything. The next day you will observe the reaction of SilverStart, change in their attitude and willingness to get it fixed once and for all
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by kickR
No, no ... let me get this straight!

Although it is the cheapest car in the lineup of MBUSA, it still costs quite a bit of money and we expect to have a car that at least gets us almost worry free through the 4year 50k miles warranty. And this is definitely not too much to ask.

I'm sorry, but a loaner and several attempts to solve the problem do not make up for their incompetence. It is as if they just go the necessary steps to solve the problem for a few days and then it is upon the owner again. They cant install a hose properly, then suddenly its a faulty O2 sensor which they did not check before?

You must have tons of patience if you were to go to the dealership several times due to the same problem because they were to incompetent to take the car for a spin of a few miles to avoid the light coming back on after a day worth driving.

I feel for you razor. Unfortunately you are one of the few who experiences MB's crappy customer service. If their management is too stupid to give him a better loaner and give him a few small perks too show THEIR APPRECIATION for him having this kind of patience for their incompetence, they might not lose a customer.

STUPID STUPID MBUSA - look at razors last post
No, I wouldn't have much patience to deal with incompetent service people - but I wouldn't think that they're obligated to do more than fix the car simply because poor, little old me has had a couple of problems with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
sorry to hear that. i say once the check engine light is fixed, sell the car to carmax and get something new.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You'll probably find that they will fix it and it will do 100K trouble free & some other owner will be delighted - at such low mileage there is a lot of life left in the vehicle - kind of car I would like to buy if I was looking preowned. Sometimes it's better the devil you know once sorted. BMW are no great shakes on the reliability front. As cars get more complex more trouble is experienced diagnosing faults. I'm not making excuses for the dealer - they sound sub standard.

You could buy a TATA from India. You can fix it on the roadside with a piece of fencing wire, but what a piece of crap to drive & I would not like to have an accident in one. Nice & easy to diagnose though! Oh! the fan belt is missing & no light to tell me that - heat seized the crap. Should have smelt it was hot or noticed the cloud of steam!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-04-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
I say horse and buggy.

Still have to feed it and wash it occassionally, but either it's dead or alive...but then you might have to deal with a little attitude and an occassional kick. It even has it's own exhaust system.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
I say horse and buggy.

Still have to feed it and wash it occassionally, but either it's dead or alive...but then you might have to deal with a little attitude and an occassional kick. It even has it's own exhaust system.
I'd rather have just the horse than a TATA - a wheel will likely fall of the buggy or the TATA - I wonder if we need a STAR DAS to diagnose that??
Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hey can put some Brabus repro 19 X 9.5s on the buggy & some AMG 6 pot calipers - need to check offset with Frank W - might rub or foul (fowl?)

Oh! crap - wonder if the horse's harness can handle Bix? need heater pads for the saddle - maybe clears for the blinkers
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Hey can put some Brabus repro 19 X 9.5s on the buggy & some AMG 6 pot calipers - need to check offset with Frank W - might rub or foul (fowl?)

Oh! crap - wonder if the horse's harness can handle Bix? need heater pads for the saddle - maybe clears for the blinkers
How big of an exhaust do you figure you can rig on that thing???
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by billbugger
Ouch! I'm about to take mine in today. It started to idle real rough and the CEL came on.

I thought it was bad gas, so i added Techron cleaner and filled up the tank. It's still doing it, and now i swear i'm hearing a vacuum leak. I'm hoping it's the recall that is mentioned on here.

I have an 05 as well, hopefully i won't have to go through the same issues.

*crosses fingers*

So it turns out that it was the vacuum leak that was the problem. They also found out that my amplifier antennae was shorting out. So, they are keeping the car until saturday morning because they have to remove the whole ceiling to replace it. What sucks is that i have no car because they wanted a $250 deposit for the rental. On the plus side, they were real great to me over at Fletcher Jones.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

How big of an exhaust do you figure you can rig on that thing???
All in jest Hope razorfish gets sorted
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Originally Posted by billbugger
So it turns out that it was the vacuum leak that was the problem. They also found out that my amplifier antennae was shorting out. So, they are keeping the car until saturday morning because they have to remove the whole ceiling to replace it. What sucks is that i have no car because they wanted a $250 deposit for the rental. On the plus side, they were real great to me over at Fletcher Jones.

If they are pulling out the headliner...NOW IS THE TIME FOR IMS!!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Today I get a call from the dealer. The computer module was replaced in your car by the tech and... "THE car still has the Check Engine light problem!"

The Foreman has contacted MBUSA and now thinks maybe its a "valve timing issue"????

What should I do????????????????
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Keep driving their loaner & make them diagnose the problem. Get the MBUSA factory representative involved. The car has no mileage on it. I presume they have checked for leaking cam sensors. Does your car have the pigtales fitted?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
This does not look good on the dealer's end. The mechanics have worked on an issue, the same issue for over 4 times with no resolve. It looks like incompetence, and lack of experience. This seems to be a major issue, IDK.

Sure, you/the dealer should get MBUSA involved right away. The problem here is of inconvenience. Okay, that put you in a loaner but it's not your car. This is costing you time, and is adding up. It's easy to say for some that you are whining or that they don't owe you more, but try being in your shoes and they would see it differently.

IMO Resolves:
1. Better loaner needed
2. Escalation to MBUSA and senior techs to resolve
3. Some kind of consolation prize

P.S. I had an issue of the dealer forgetting to wash my car, and misplacing my bill. They sent me a $50 Office Depot gift card, that showed me they cared and want my business. It goes a long way, simple. My 3 cents.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigben320e
This does not look good on the dealer's end. The mechanics have worked on an issue, the same issue for over 4 times with no resolve. It looks like incompetence, and lack of experience. This seems to be a major issue, IDK.

Sure, you/the dealer should get MBUSA involved right away. The problem here is of inconvenience. Okay, that put you in a loaner but it's not your car. This is costing you time, and is adding up. It's easy to say for some that you are whining or that they don't owe you more, but try being in your shoes and they would see it differently.

IMO Resolves:
1. Better loaner needed
2. Escalation to MBUSA and senior techs to resolve
3. Some kind of consolation prize

P.S. I had an issue of the dealer forgetting to wash my car, and misplacing my bill. They sent me a $50 Office Depot gift card, that showed me they cared and want my business. It goes a long way, simple. My 3 cents.
+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My MB Horror Story with the Dealer