C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

AMS Crank pulley - M112 - Discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
I see. Their site seems a little misleading:

http://fluidampr.com/ASKTECH/7.html

As such, I dont see them selling "replacement silicone" for any refreshes.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
SSM - I have no direct experience with the Fluidampr - rather with similar products used in Industrial applications & others of similar concept but proprietary.

A fair question becomes - what do they mean by "lasts forever" Ask them for sealed damper life in under hood conditions in miles.

Regarding your consumption question - see my post to Tru's thread.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Thank you for your insight.

I just tracked down your other post, and I agree.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte

Now correct me if I'm wrong here (I'm not trying to attack your claims, I just dont understand how this is possible) but if the RPM of the engine (and therefore the pulley) is not changing, then how can the pulley be affecting the engine's efficiency. The change in mass of the pulley changes the MMOI, which in turn makes the pulley easier or harder to accelerate radially. But, if the motor is spinning at a constant speed, the only energy required to keep the pulley spinning is due to friction.

I just dont see how a change in mass of the pulley will affect the power required to keep it spinning at a constant speed, and therefore the power saved by the motor which can be converted to fuel savings.

Thanks for any input.
Sure,

What a lot of people do not factor into the equation is engine load at any given rpm, rpm alone is not everything. With the crank pulley the load is less at any given rpm hence less fuel input so there are consumption savings. Sometime the load is significantly less so you actually run at a slightly lower rpm given same speed (on autos at least due to torque converter, on manuals its pretty set in stone, given rpm = given speed). On the V8s its about 2mpg from what our customers have reported to us as well as our own testing. V6s may be +/- depending on certain factors. Our M104 & 55K make a little bit more closer to 3mpg simply b/c the weight reduction on those pulleys is far more drastic (especially on the M104s). But for the NA M112/M113, the high 1s to 2mpg are typical results.

Glad to be of help
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Can crankshafts break?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

They can when harmonics are allowed to run amuck -

photos credit stuntman
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
…a lighter load at constant rpm which means lower rpms at any given speed
Engine speed at any particular vehicle velocity is determined solely by effective tire rolling radius and its transmission/differential gear ratios.

Virtually all modern automatic transmissions – including MB’s - have lock-up torque converters which essentially eliminate slippage while underway at highway speeds.

Last edited by splinter; 01-28-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: repair pic
Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
i love this thread. it's so interesting and with so many people chiming in it's a great help
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230K SS
That's the most intact, broken crankshaft I have ever seen. They usually go nuclear...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sometime the load is significantly less so you actually run at a slightly lower rpm given same speed (on autos at least due to torque converter, on manuals its pretty set in stone, given rpm = given speed).
This is not so on a Benz. It has a lock up converter & the converter is locked solid 99.9% of the time & certainly when cruising. A Benz converter stays locked from just after pull away - even on trailing throttle - there is no free wheeling possible in Drive. So torque converter slip does not come into this equation
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry Splinter. I did not see your post. But +1
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by splinter
They can when harmonics are allowed to run amuck -
If you look at the modal response of most cranks, they usually break close to the flywheel due to insufficient damping at the free end.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 AM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Sure,

What a lot of people do not factor into the equation is engine load at any given rpm, rpm alone is not everything. With the crank pulley the load is less at any given rpm hence less fuel input so there are consumption savings. Sometime the load is significantly less so you actually run at a slightly lower rpm given same speed (on autos at least due to torque converter, on manuals its pretty set in stone, given rpm = given speed). On the V8s its about 2mpg from what our customers have reported to us as well as our own testing. V6s may be +/- depending on certain factors. Our M104 & 55K make a little bit more closer to 3mpg simply b/c the weight reduction on those pulleys is far more drastic (especially on the M104s). But for the NA M112/M113, the high 1s to 2mpg are typical results.

Glad to be of help
Can you supply any references on the fuel savings? I'm back in Houston for a month or so in February, and would like to visit your facility as well.

Last edited by UK-C200; 01-28-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 AM

Sure,

What a lot of people do not factor into the equation is engine load at any given rpm, rpm alone is not everything. With the crank pulley the load is less at any given rpm hence less fuel input so there are consumption savings.
So you are saying that by lightening the pulley and changing nothing else, you reduce the load on the engine, even when operated at a constant RPM?

Once the pulley is spinning, it doesnt take any power/energy/force (just depending on what dimensions you want to consider) to keep it spinning. (OK, there is some air resistance, but the mass change doesnt affect that aspect) I agree that it will make it somewhat easier for the engine to increase RPM and accelerate though.

Glad to be of help
Much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM

2004 C230K SS
Once the pulley is spinning, it doesnt take any power/energy/force (just depending on what dimensions you want to consider) to keep it spinning. (OK, there is some air resistance, but the mass change doesnt affect that aspect) I agree that it will make it somewhat easier for the engine to increase RPM and accelerate though.
It does take energy to keep it spinning, it is just a very minute amount.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Can crankshafts break?
In high HP applications with non-harmonic dampened pulleys combined with lightweight flywheels, yes you can break crankshafts, its a lot harder than most people realize but yes its possible. Forged crankshafts are obviously stronger and able to handle more stress.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by phate
It does take energy to keep it spinning, it is just a very minute amount.
correct, If it required ZERO energy like everyone says that would imply perpetual motion and zero friction is involved (road, wind, drivetrain, etc). In the real world that is obviously not possible so some energy is required to keep a car in motion, its not a lot but there is some energy required, with the pulley the energy is less hence improved efficiency (just as Tru is reporting in real world results).
Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Don't overblow things. I'm sure your pulley has some advantages. Fuel consumption at constant speed won't be one of them. The energy required to keep your pulley at constant speed will be miniscule & quite insignificant compared with keeping the car at constant speed or the flywheel or torque converter at constant speed. Continuously varying engine speed is where you will see differences if they are worthwhile. See my posting on fuel consumption testing on Tru's thread. You shoot yourself in the foot by making dumb claims. I'm sure the pulley has advantages such as it's lighter than stock so it's easier to overcome the pulley inertia when accelerating the engine & that this will result in possible fuel savings & better responsiveness - so claim that. Then people will believe you. You simply can't have it everywhere. Basic science is against you.

Make sensible claims and you will be supported. You talk youself into trouble. I've been enormously patient and fair with you & your product on this thread. Any damage you might have done yourself or your product has been entirely your own doing. I'm telling you that at constant RPM that your pulley might improve consumption by 0.001%
Old 01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
We operate on real world results and real world dynos, always have always will. Many of our customers have reported back much higher mpg numbers post pulley install as well as dyno results. We just go by the evidence & proof they provide, nothing more.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM

We operate on real world results and real world dynos, always have always will. Many of our customers have reported back much higher mpg numbers post pulley install as well as dyno results. We just go by the evidence & proof they provide, nothing more.

Thanks
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Can you supply any references on the fuel savings? I'm back in Houston for a month or so in February, and would like to visit your facility as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

In the real world people frequently perceive a lot of nonesense, and that perception becomes reality in their minds because that's what they want to believe. I don't believe in butt dyno's. I've spent considerable time running engines on dynos in properly controlled conditions & have an oil company technical background of 37 years & still consulting. I've spent millions of dollars of my company's money on testing. I have some idea of testing fuel consumption accurately & you can't do that on the road.

It is more than possible that your pulley provides some fuel saving in variable engine speed conditions such as town driving or conditions of frequent acceleration. There is no chance of any meaningful saving at constant RPM or lower engine speeds or any such thing.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Just to clarify from my thread. I haven't found an improvement on the highway. I have only found an improvement during mixed or mostly city driving. I THOUGHT I would have seen an improvement on the highway, but I haven't seen anything out of my ordinary 25-28mpg...

I think the real world results (in my case), have shown what Glyn has stated.

Thanks again for all of the insightful contributions to this thread and keeping it PG-13.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Just to clarify from my thread. I haven't found an improvement on the highway. I have only found an improvement during mixed or mostly city driving. I THOUGHT I would have seen an improvement on the highway, but I haven't seen anything out of my ordinary 25-28mpg...

Thanks again for all of the insightful contributions to this thread and keeping it PG-13.

TruTaing - what improvement have you see, and over what total consumption figure?

EDITED : Never mind, found the figures in the other thread.

Last edited by UK-C200; 01-28-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 PM

2004 C230K SS
In high HP applications with non-harmonic dampened pulleys combined with lightweight flywheels, yes you can break crankshafts, its a lot harder than most people realize but yes its possible. Forged crankshafts are obviously stronger and able to handle more stress.
I think this is a somewhat misleading statement. Yes, that may be one of many, many factors that could play into a crankshaft breaking. An engine has numerous intricate parts and each of these needs to work properly at all times. Something simple can come loose or let go and cause destruction. Of course I've seen the harmonics come into play with cap walk and allowing the crankshaft to flex but even a mis-aligned rocker arm or bad cam bushing could cause a chain reaction and result in failure. Also, just because an engine is making more power does not mean that it is more prone to failure.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by TruTaing

i think john summed it up.

as glym said and i suspected. it gives somewhat better mpg local because the initial energy required to spin the lighter weight crank pulley is less, but at constant speed there's no advantage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMS Crank pulley - M112 - Discussion