C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Have a few questions for Illinois C-class owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A box on 4 wheels
Have a few questions for Illinois C-class owners

In a few months or so I am moving to Illinois Urbana Champagne, my current dilemma is whether or not I should ship my C230 over or sell it and purchase an AWD SUV.

So here are my questions

1. How does the C class hold up during winter when it snows?
2. I know this may vary according to different cities but how often do they plow the snow off the main roads?
3. Will I be able to daily drive my car with just winter tires or would I have to raise my car + winter tires + snow chains?
4. How often does it snow?

Thank you
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
I can't speak to the weather history and winter driving conditions of Urbana-Champaign specifically, but I would think the weather here in Kansas City is pretty much the same. In my experience, driving my rear-wheel drive 2005 C230 with a staggered setup is a pain in the *** in any significant accumulation of snow or ice...UNLESS you get dedicated winter tires.

When I had some Pirelli PZeroNero all seasons on there, the car essentially became a nice-looking paperweight on many winter days. Getting started from even a slightly upward grade was nearly impossible. I put some Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on the stock wheels and the difference was night and day. Since then I've had virtually no problems getting around at all in the winter (adding a couple sandbags or other weight in the trunk helps as well).

If you like your car otherwise, then I wouldn't go to the extreme of getting an SUV just to deal with 5-10 crappy weather days a year. I would definitely be prepared to drop a little cash on a winter tire setup, though. Unless you don't mind letting the car sit whenever there is a decent snowfall.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

05 C230k
I live near Chicago. I didn't even think about keeping the summer tires on. A little after Halloween I put the cheapest snow tire I could find on my C230, General Altimax Arctic.
They handled great in the snow. It was a great combo with them and ESP. I just took them off, and they hardly show any wear, maybe 1/32nd on the rears.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2007 C350 2015 ML400 1968 Ford Mustang
Originally Posted by Cappa26
2. I know this may vary according to different cities but how often do they plow the snow off the main roads?
3. Will I be able to daily drive my car with just winter tires or would I have to raise my car + winter tires + snow chains?
I live in Peoria. I have had my C class for two winters now and knew that the staggered summer tires would not work at all. (Tried them once in a half inch of snow, couldn't get out of the neighborhood.) I bought some Contential snow tires on dedicated rims and it is like night and day. The car handles very well and I have no issues with driving it in the snow. Most cities in central Illinois are equipped to plow the main roads. Peoria usually gets to the side roads about day 2 after a big storm of which we only get about 3-4, maybe 5 a season. (It seems lately). Chains are allowed only in certain areas in Illinois.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Don't bring your car...

and PART OUT! LOL, jk.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM

2005 c230 S.S.
i live in palatine about 20miles NW of chicago. I pretty much agree with everyone else. invest in some kind of witner tires and save yourself some headaches and frustration. even the slightest amount of snow will give you trouble and starting uphill SUCKS!! as far as the streets being plowed, dont rely on it. Depending on the city/village some get out there pretty quick while others are slow to respond. hope it helps
Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
In a few months or so I am moving to Illinois Urbana Champagne, my current dilemma is whether or not I should ship my C230 over or sell it and purchase an AWD SUV.

So here are my questions

Thank you
1. Rear wheel drive vehicles can still survive as long as winter tires are put on.

2. The city does a good job in plowing the roads unless there's back-to-back snowstorm (happened once and the university was closed).

3. It's better to raise the car but I used to drive my lowered W203 without issue.

4. It snows a lot between December-February.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of your move? I used to live in Seattle, WA before moving here and definitely missed west coast a lot. Feel free to ask or PM me if you have other questions. It's nice to see someone from MBWorld is coming to CU area.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz C230
What's good Cappa
I'm in Iowa, I had the stock 17" staggered and was skidding all over the place. Got those blizzaks ws60 225/40/17 and i was ghost after that FTW ! ! !

The difference is unbelievable, if you want we can strike a deal for those powdercoated 19.

let me know either way.......
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Thanks everyone for answering my questions, the reason I am moving out there is for school, also for a new environment. Been in California for over 20 years so it's time for me to move on.

Right now I am still contemplating whether to keep my C and just ship it over or get a W164.

Mu9enx: I know you want my parts

coin: Thanks for the extra help, will definitely PM you if I have any other questions.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Thanks everyone for answering my questions, the reason I am moving out there is for school, also for a new environment. Been in California for over 20 years so it's time for me to move on.

Right now I am still contemplating whether to keep my C and just ship it over or get a W164.

Mu9enx: I know you want my parts

coin: Thanks for the extra help, will definitely PM you if I have any other questions.
Hehe. I call dibs on everything!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
Hehe. I call dibs on everything!
LOL leave some for other people... haha must be a big change... I haven't been any place other then cali don't think i ever will...

Cali 4 life!!!