C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M272 CAI: Graphic images, viewer beware :P

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nowhere ...Fast
Originally Posted by howardyudoing
well if any of you guys read my other thread, which i got flamed for...lol. there is a giant space under the passenger side headlight where you could route that fat 4 inch pipe down into. its filled with cold air. try it. after you drive your car, pop the hood, remove the passenger side intake pipe and stick your hand through the fat opening down under the headlight. hella space for any cone filter.

someone also said that it would get dirty... isn't that the purpose of a filter? even if you look at the underside of the front bumper, it's pretty much covered all the way with panels. so i doubt it'll get any dirtier than our current filters.
Just had done the bumper removal and installations, and you are right! the passenger side is completely empty and there is ton of space. Unlike the driver's side this side is much cleaner, in regards to dust ( not sure why), but i have removed this bumper coupel times in 4 months time and all teh time the driver's side was full of sand and just filthy, while passenger's was pretty clean.
Anyways, you can probably integrate a scoop in that area to go under the car and scoop the air from inder the bumper. Might have to clean your filter more often but thats the price... Also with 320 i dont think that mod is possible
Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 ML CDI
Any of you guys have used stock paper air filters? I want to go on a dyno and do couple of runs with stock, k&n drop in and my intake.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 147 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Don't waste your time & money on mickey mouse dyno runs. Read this & ignore dumb comments by Giovanni on the second thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...****+on+a+bull

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...+Pulley+system
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
hmm maspeth? by IMPRESSIVE AUTO BODY???

we should meet up soon. I wanna hear that V8 growl compared to MY V8 growl.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by FrankW
heat sink indeed. it's the ECU sitting on top of the engine.

mig took his out after his aftermarket head unit drain it.. I still have mine. it's uptima red top.
ECU on top of the engine. Thats different from the m112. I wonder why they moved it. The ecu is nice and snug on m112s by the fuses / front sam on the m112s...

What did you use to keep the battery in place? Additionally, whats the weight difference between the red top and the stock battery? (if i have to replace my battery, I might as well do it w/ a lighter one in the future) I think I had MB roadside replace mine last time and it cost a fortune and a half :x
Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by TruTaing
ECU on top of the engine. Thats different from the m112. I wonder why they moved it. The ecu is nice and snug on m112s by the fuses / front sam on the m112s...

What did you use to keep the battery in place? Additionally, whats the weight difference between the red top and the stock battery? (if i have to replace my battery, I might as well do it w/ a lighter one in the future) I think I had MB roadside replace mine last time and it cost a fortune and a half :x
Its only 150 and they come out to your house and do the job.. just had mine replaced a few months back..
Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM

08 ML CDI
Originally Posted by mbcollector
yeah at the top.. at the same time theres still not too many air coming from there.. those fins serve as an escape for the heat coming from the engine compartment.. not going into the compartment.. well.. looks good man. by the way no ones attacking you here so take a chill pill.. lol.

actually if you look closely, battery bay is completely sealed off from engine bay , when the hood is closed ,with the weather stripping
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by TruTaing

battery is velcroed down. didn't bother with other mounting method. it hasn't moved since I put it there.

who knows. the M272 and 273 has both moved the ecu on top of the engine.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Don't waste your time & money on mickey mouse dyno runs. Read this & ignore dumb comments by Giovanni on the second thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...****+on+a+bull

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...+Pulley+system

I wouldn't bother with AMS pulley or any pulley that is the same size except weight less. It will not have any real performance gain that's worth the money in return. It's a stupid *** gimmick by a kid name Ohmehomey from benzworld that knows little to **** and just wanted to mod his 210 e55 and think it works.

under-drive pulley from reputable companies, YES. AMS pulley, NO.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. I just posted to give some insight into Dyno testing to NegroC230
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM

07 c230 sport
https://mbworld.org/forums/members/4...-dsc-0384.html
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 AM

08 ML CDI
Originally Posted by howardyudoing

LOL
Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm! Notice you have edited your comment from the message that has gone to all subscribers
Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Agreed. I just posted to give some insight into Dyno testing to NegroC230
NC230 - I know you don't like my comments on Dyno testing & consider me "ignorant" - however

Please read the threads I originally attached above. I'm not repeating myself. Both timfd - an FI Cosworth Race Engineer & I have commented at length in this regard. We have both spent large proportions of our working life on multi - multi million dollar dyno's in controlled operating environments that control everything from Atmospheric pressure to IAT & humidity. Believe what you wish - don't mislead others!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM

08 ML CDI
MODERATOR DELETE THIS POST TOO........its useless to argue.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you are welcome to your opinions - You will end up with all your threads deleted.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 PM

08 ML CDI
Ok, lets put it this way, i stepped up to the plate and PROVED a gain on the dyno, what do you have to show for? talk is cheap, your mutli million dollar dyno story, what has that got to do with anything. Ask anybody in the USA , what dynos are shops using. I don't get what are you trying to chase after here??? Its only an engine, like in any other car. I took the stock air box apart, seen nothing positive about , created a new intake, proved that its better, and i am happy. I would suggest to leave your lame comments for yourself, cause i dont see no other rocket scientist on here, cheap talking about some projects from out of space. Unless you got something to show for, please , dont comment back about humidity dyno, or whatever , thank you, it just raises my blood pressure and makes me want to outburst stupid slurs and words that are not appropriate , and right now even if you are a rocket scientist , with your ignorant comments you qualify in my book as a douschebag that ( besides that fact that you provided me with a few pictures of the fuel filter ) is simply ignorant! ...geeezzzz, all this about a f-in air filter
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Chan (02-03-2020)
Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by NegroC230
I have the car for about 2 weeks now, ride is really great on the highway , but coming from E46 M3 and R56 heavily modded coopers S, im sorry to say , but theres no comparisson to these two mentioned cars.
Please no stupid comments by unknowledgeable..
WTF? So you’ve, for whatever reason(s), chosen a W203. Seems unfortunate that you had to relinquished your former rides and somehow felt compelled to join this forum. Nobody here is going to kiss your *** for having unleashed a few additional horsepower from your ‘unique’ CAI.

Incidentally, I’ve beat up on more than a few of your M3 and Cooper S brethren during off-highway encounters. They’re easy pickings for some of us. If you’ve something positive or instructional with which to contribute, chances are fair your tenure here will not soon cease. Wit and a twinge of humility may serve to help your cause.

Until then, get over yourself and go with the flow. :y
Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by splinter
WTF? So you’ve, for whatever reason(s), chosen a W203. Seems unfortunate that you had to relinquished your former rides and somehow felt compelled to join this forum. Nobody here is going to kiss your *** for having unleashed a few additional horsepower from your ‘unique’ CAI.

Incidentally, I’ve beat up on more than a few of your M3 and Cooper S brethren during off-highway encounters. They’re easy pickings for some of us. If you’ve something positive or instructional with which to contribute, chances are fair your tenure here will not soon cease. Wit and a twinge of humility may serve to help your cause.

Until then, get over yourself and go with the flow.
+1, teach em' John!

I wouldn't take what Glyn says for granted.. He is definitely what you would call knowledgeable.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
it amazes me how some people don't respect each other in the w203 forums. we all use to help each other and we all had respect for one another. Now the new members are coming in here and insulting long time or highly respected members such as Glyn and lilbenz230. Guess it shows you what happens when cars get cheaper so that anyone can buy them. i guess not everyone was raised with manners and to respect others. and if you wanted a fast car you should have bought an amg or if you wanted to mod your car get a Honda. if you want help from other members you need to be respectful and learn to search before you post.

Last edited by samaritrey; 08-02-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:20 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by samaritrey
it amazes me how some people don't respect each other in the w203 forums. we all use to help each other and we all had respect for one another. Now the new members are coming in here and insulting long time or highly respected members such as Glyn and lilbenz230. Guess it shows you what happens when cars get cheaper so that anyone can buy them. i guess not every was raised with manners and to respect others. and if you wanted a fast car you should have bought an amg or if you wanted to mod your car get a Honda. if you want help from other members you need to be respectful and learn to search before you post.
reminds me of some dumb kid on bimmerforum constantly talking **** about other people's car and how his cars (a 740iL, audi TT, etc) are better. turns out the car he had are all salvaged titled that cost less than new Civics.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 AM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Dyno Dynamics accuracy ?

Show me where on this Dyno Dynamics spec page it call out either accuracy or repeatability:

http://www.dyno.com.au/dyno/controll...ow2WD450DSPage

Yes it mentions 'resolution' but interestingly no where does it mention absolute accuracy or repeatability. I wonder why ??

If it were so darn accurate / repeatable - why aren't they shouting it from the roof tops ?

I guess they hope users will confuse resolution with accuracy :-(

Thus as other have mentioned - dyno numbers are for bragging rights but don't actually prove anything.

Yes you can cherry pick numbers from various runs to kid yourself a certain modification gives x HP increase - but at the end of the day it's meaningless.

Much better to measure 1/4 mile times etc.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
thinking about it...this intake you have might be "loud" but not sure if its efficient for engine breathing.

hmm, talking about intakes... these were the intake setups I had on my C320, I can tell you that the RENNTECH box (pretty much a enlarged stock box) is the best setup you can really have on our cars.

Renntech

C32 AMG with Renntech Filters

Custom Cones with Stock Box

Old 08-02-2009, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Ok, lets put it this way, i stepped up to the plate and PROVED a gain on the dyno, what do you have to show for? talk is cheap, your mutli million dollar dyno story, what has that got to do with anything. Ask anybody in the USA , what dynos are shops using. I don't get what are you trying to chase after here??? Its only an engine, like in any other car. I took the stock air box apart, seen nothing positive about , created a new intake, proved that its better, and i am happy. I would suggest to leave your lame comments for yourself, cause i dont see no other rocket scientist on here, cheap talking about some projects from out of space. Unless you got something to show for, please , dont comment back about humidity dyno, or whatever , thank you, it just raises my blood pressure and makes me want to outburst stupid slurs and words that are not appropriate , and right now even if you are a rocket scientist , with your ignorant comments you qualify in my book as a douschebag that ( besides that fact that you provided me with a few pictures of the fuel filter ) is simply ignorant! ...geeezzzz, all this about a f-in air filter
This post is borderline incoherent. It's like the never-ending sentence. The OCD english minor within me is having a seizure. This is my favorite part: "with your ignorant comments you qualify in my book as a douschebag that is simply ignorant".

You can put a T-Tail off an MD-88 on the back of your C230 if you wish, but don't expect to post here about how it improves the car in some way and for all of us to nod our heads in agreement. If you're happy with the car no one really cares what you do to it, but we're entitled to our opinions and if you don't want to hear them.. well it's quite simple. DON'T POST! If you're going to put stuff out there in the public realm, you're going to have to expect some feedback that won't be good. You don't make the rules. You don't post stupid ***** and then tell us what we can and cannot say in response.

This little outburst post I've quoted here reminds me of a pre-teen temper tantrum. You've been a troll since your first post comparing a 200hp 3400lb C230 to a 333hp M3 or a 2500lb Mini Cooper. You bought the wrong car. And if you think Glyn is an ignorant douchebag, you joined the wrong forum.

Last edited by LILBENZ230; 08-02-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Karo
I don't get it. I have heard of intakes and know about them but, isn't our original design better? How can it get any colder? Sucks air from the grill as opposed to sucking air by the battery box?

The only plus I see is that it is shorter. Other than that I feel our stock intake is fine and may even perform better.

One thing I learned is on the w203 intake and exhaust hardly do anything. What is the max power you gained 2hp? If you even gained anything.

Can anyone chime in? You guys really believe there will be any gains? I'm not trying to argue or anything I just want an honest answer.

Good job, you should get points for doing it, but if you gain more power than
Can someone answer this? How can an intake that air flows from the Grill (Dual) create less horsepower than an intake where air flows through the battery area?

Doesn't our stock intake "accept" air more easily since it is pushed in?
Please someone anyone?

I personally feel anywhere from -5hp to +2hp if that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M272 CAI: Graphic images, viewer beware :P