C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

both front tires wore outside...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
both front tires wore outside...

I have Falken 452 on my wife's c230 with 44k miles. This is actually the third sets of tires on the car since we bought it new in 2004. (OEM 17" staggered wheels without lowering). We didn't drive the car alot, probably less than 10k/year and most of the mileage is in local stop and go traffic.

The oem Michelin last less than 20k, the second set yokohama es100 last around 16k, and the falken 452 now has only around 8k...
The both front tires are almost bold on outside while both rears are looks as good as new! All three sets of tire have similar problem: outside of front tire wore out and front tires wore out faster than rear ones.

I did have the alignment done a while back and everything looks good. Now, I need to get new tires and thinking to do one of the following three ways:
1. Two falken 452 for front - so I have 4 matching tires with same thread/pattern - kind of hesitate on this one since the 452 only last for 8k, they might need to be replaced one year later.
2. Two michelin PS2 for front now and wait for the rear 452 are wore out, replace the rear with ps2? - Will I be ok with this kind of setup?
3. Buy 4 new PS2 and sell the 452 for whatever I could get?

Anyway, after getting new tires, I will have the alignment check again. Could anyone suggest/recommend a good shop in socal?

thanks.

Jason
Old 08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
My car killed brand new tires in 16k miles very sad... With the same issue.. Check your alignment asap.. Chamber arms etc for leakyness... After i took my car to discount tires.. my car has been burning tires like nothing.. so mad

i can't see to fix it either..
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
uhmm thats weird because the tire is usually get worn from the inside.

Andy
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM

2005 W203 SS
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
uhmm thats weird because the tire is usually get worn from the inside.

Andy
serious... an aligment should fix it.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Something is NOT right at all. 1st of all on the OEM staggered setup at stock height, you should go through rear tires more than twice as fast as fronts. If your car has not been in an accident and all your suspension bushings and joints are in good shape, you absolutely have an alignment issue. You either have positive camber or extreme toe-in. Obviously the last place you took the car for the alignment didn't do it properly. I would recommend a Mercedes Benz dealer for the alignment. Our cars need to use a spreader bar, and properly load the car before adjusting anything.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
I have the same problem I think you're describing.

Essentially:

My front Driver side's tire is getting EATEN.

The inner and outer walls are literally shredding and flaking off!

I did an alignment awhile back at a place that was really well reputed, but they said my car was within alignment.

I went in for Service A at another very well reputed Mercedes Indy, and they were amazingly good at customer satisfaction.
They didn't give me an alignment, but he said it may have to do with my lower PSI.
They did a front to back rotation, Not a cross front to back, weird.
Then pumped it up properly.

Now I'm noticing that my driver side front is once again slowly eating my tire...

I'm sad =/

I don't know what to do, as I've asked them to check for any sort of problems during the service A inspection, and they found nothing.

Should I go into a Mercedes dealership and get the problem diagnosed?
They'd definitely make me pay for that labor though.... Just to check if there is a problem
Then another fee to fix the problem... Maybe this is a fault of mercedes from what I'm seeing.

My car has never been in an accident or anything. I have about 20k miles on the car, and the tires were practically new when I got the car.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG

Here's an image of the severity of the shredding.
My rotated tire is starting with similar symptoms...
Do Not Like.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
I have the same problem I think you're describing.

Essentially:

My front Driver side's tire is getting EATEN.

The inner and outer walls are literally shredding and flaking off!

I did an alignment awhile back at a place that was really well reputed, but they said my car was within alignment.

I went in for Service A at another very well reputed Mercedes Indy, and they were amazingly good at customer satisfaction.
They didn't give me an alignment, but he said it may have to do with my lower PSI.
They did a front to back rotation, Not a cross front to back, weird.
Then pumped it up properly.

Now I'm noticing that my driver side front is once again slowly eating my tire...

I'm sad =/

I don't know what to do, as I've asked them to check for any sort of problems during the service A inspection, and they found nothing.

Should I go into a Mercedes dealership and get the problem diagnosed?
They'd definitely make me pay for that labor though.... Just to check if there is a problem
Then another fee to fix the problem... Maybe this is a fault of mercedes from what I'm seeing.

My car has never been in an accident or anything. I have about 20k miles on the car, and the tires were practically new when I got the car.
You are under warranty. Go to a MB dealer and get that fixed. The pictures suggest you have positive camber or worn bushings or joints on that side. You say the inner tread blocks are wearing too, but from the picture it just looks like the outer tread. If it is both inner and outer tread blocks, you are running too low of an air pressure on that tire.

Last edited by johnand; 08-13-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2010 C300, 2012 Mustang
Check Alignment and your tire pressure first.