C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trunk Latch Won't Release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Trunk Latch Won't Release

I obviously have an 01 c320 and today i tried opening my trunk, it did not open. Tried unlocking the car, openning via latch handle on the trunk itself, release button on driverside door, and on the remote, it didnt work. I even use the metal key to unlock it (the valet key) it didnt work. I tried everything you guys could probably think of.

I do hear a mechanical sound that seems to be cycling while i tired to open it. It sounds like there is something spinning and trying to catch the latch to open it but it doesnt catch anything and all i hear is the cycle spinning sound. Im pretty certain this is something i cannot DIY and something the dealer has to pound me for, but just to be sure i want to make sure with you guys first before i make any wrong moves.

[btw, i STF already and there were no solutions to the problem.]
I am spending so much money on this car lately just for things breaking down, its so crazy.

-thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I told you that you should have bought a facelift one!

Okay, okay.. joking aside - even with the metal key? I've never read this issue anywhere on this board. I would take it to an independent shop before I'd go to the dealer, though - can't hurt.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300, 2012 Mustang
There was nothing jamming when you closed it right?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 AM

A Car
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I told you that you should have bought a facelift one!

Okay, okay.. joking aside - even with the metal key? I've never read this issue anywhere on this board. I would take it to an independent shop before I'd go to the dealer, though - can't hurt.
Im telling you, the list of problems NEVER ends!!!
Im actually shocked to hear after 8 years with the w203 that this problem has never been discussed to be fixed before on this forum.

All the metal key does it just change it from lock to unlock, but it wont open the trunk. I dont even have rear folding seats, so theres NO WAY i can get to my trunk. I mean, all i have in there is a weapon, (ya know, just for emergencies) ... and a quart of Mobil1 oil.

Im not so sure indy's around my area have much knowledge on electrical items/ physical functions of the car, as the trunk release is not a conventional mechanism latch found on SUV's/Vans.

I wonder... does it mean they have to physically 'break into' the trunk to get it open as there is no way to get in?!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 AM

A Car
Originally Posted by Emin
There was nothing jamming when you closed it right?
No there isnt.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
this has happened at least on nlpamg's car. his was repaired under warranty. trunk latch replaced.

you can definitely DIY it if you can get the trunk open. removing the trunk liner and latch isn't difficult.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happens twice on my 05/230. On mine, just needed to pull hard to get it loose. I notice the lock mechanism (on the trunk) gets stuck -- may need some silicon lub.

First time it jammed, it took me a long time to get it loose. Tried everything including mechanical key. Nothing worked. Then I just used some force and it came loose. Just be careful the trunk lid does not hit your chin.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 AM

A Car
I have no problem DIY'ing the trunk latch, but i need to find a way to open the damn thing..

The only idea i can come up with now is by removing the rear deck, i read somewhere on here that the entire rear seat and rear deck assembly can be removed to be dynomatted and sealed up for the rattling woofer recall..

..Now that i think of it, if i do go to the dealer, this can be a very very expensive repair.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 AM

A Car
Originally Posted by dougpark714
, just needed to pull hard to get it loose. I notice the lock mechanism (on the trunk) gets stuck -- may need some silicon lub.

Then I just used some force and it came loose. Just be careful the trunk lid does not hit your chin.
I will try that Doug, use the force!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM

A Car
Tried to use the 'force' this morning, it didnt do a thing.

Anyother ideas?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try pulling the trunk immediately after the the lock mechanism starts to release. Once it is released, it will be stuck. You need to pull while it is unlocking..

may be easier to use the manual key to release and pull together.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 AM

A Car
The Solution

Just pulling on it wont do anything.

So i made a few phone calls today to get an idea of what to do.
Everyone i talked to mentioned that the rear seat and rear deck assembly must be removed to gain access to the trunk. From there get in through and remove the trunk linning behind the liscence plate to get to the trunk latch motor. My MB tech showed me a diagram of the trunk assembly and the mechanical motor is driven by a cable thats attached from the handle where you use to open it and that releases the latch at the base between the bumper and the trunk. You cannot buy this part anywhere, only at a MB dealer/parts provider. The whole trunk latch assembly comes as a complete system and you cannot buy it for seperate parts. Another tip is do not give the dealership your VIN number, they will charge you more for making a custom key whole for the valet key, just switch that part when changing out the latch assembly. Total estimated time of doing this is gonna be 2-3 hours.