C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Does 27hp really make that big of a difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
FWIW, the 6MT shifter on the 135i is okay but the 6MT on my old 2007 Civic Si was 100x better.
Yes - both Toyota & Honda have cracked it with MTs - Even the Honda NSX had a great transmission & that had to absorb quite a bit of power - also no Ferrari calf muscle destroying clutch.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes - both Toyota & Honda have cracked it with MTs - Even the Honda NSX had a great transmission & that had to absorb quite a bit of power - also no Ferrari calf muscle destroying clutch.
My question always is that if MB sells so many MTs in the rest of the world (compared to the US), how could they continue to be so inept in their execution?

I have no idea why they resolve themselves to being inferior to just about everyone else's transmissions, and giving up a segment that wants to row its own gears. Having said that, I'm still glad I got my manny - even though it's not as good as it should be, it still beats a slushbox.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah! who knows. SA is a very MT orientated market but no more than 1% of Mercs sold here are MT & they are 4th best selling car on the market. I always swore I would never drive an auto. Then I lived in the US & the company provided me with a long string of autos - from Nissan Maxima's to Dodge Intrepid's to Lexus to heaven know what all. We hired our cars from Advantage in Dallas so they let us chop & change & drive whatever we wanted. Then I was based in Sydney, Aus & provided with a new 3.8 litre Holden Berlina auto. I got used to it and when I knew I was finally coming home in late 2003 I ordered my C class in auto, because I went to the Sydney dealer & drove both & I though the MT destroyed much of what was nice about the Benz "feel" - as they say the rest is history and I have not been disappointed - Traffic conditions have deteriorated dreadfully as well which makes the auto a lazy alternative.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I think I'm definately going to get my car to the dealer soon and get the updates done. I drove that C280 tonight and not even including the extra power from the 3.0L, this car does not deliberate nearly as much as mine. Much quicker to respond off the line and downshifts faster when already moving.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by johnand
Matt, if you get a chance to drive that 07 again, try to be much heavier on the throttle and it should perform closer to what your 05 does. Like, I told 91RS though, my car performs so much better after the software flashes, could be the 07 you drove didn't have the updates.
I'll be driving it about 150 miles tomorrow. I'll report back. It might very well be that it doesn't have the updates.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I don't understand your logic. The MB & Honda autos "hang in a gear when you got off the gas" as you put it - because they lock up their torque converters for the sake of efficiency & good handling - i.e. they behave just like a manual when you lift off the throttle - You are hard coupled to the engine & run against compression. All ideal for proper car control. No changing up in the middle of a corner like ****ty old autos of yore.

What do you want. The torque converter clutches to disengage when you lift off the throttle & slip like hell like an old yank tank auto?

Unless you are a completely incompetent driver I'm sure you don't declutch your manual when you lift off the throttle. So I don't get your point.

Modern autos are as close to driving a manual as you get once you learn to drive them. The only decent other option is a double clutch transmission which is great.

Give me a Benz auto long before their clunky manual transmissions & crap clutch action.
I generally despise automatics. However, when I am forced to drive one, I want it to drive like one. Hanging onto the gear and causing you to slow dramatically, even if you lift gently is not what I expect from an auto.

Modern automatics are NOTHING like driving a manual car. You feel attached to the car with a manual. Automatics are like a video game. DSG's and the like are crap as well. The only reason you as the customer are being fed all this crap about automatics is that the manufacturers want you to believe you don't need a manual- and therefore they don't have to offer you one.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by FrankW
because 90% of the MB buyer buys Auto. people buy BMW or Audi if they want a manual Germany vehicle of the same entry level luxury.
Its not just for entry level cars...I read a study not too long ago done by some market research group that noted MB's lack of a manual transmission in its AMG cars was one of the primary reasons that people chose not to buy its cars- additionally, it hurts the brand image. Automatics are associated with the lazy, fat, and inexperienced drivers. Ask BMW what happened when it got out that were going to try to dump the manuals in M cars.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Outland
Its not just for entry level cars...I read a study not too long ago done by some market research group that noted MB's lack of a manual transmission in its AMG cars was one of the primary reasons that people chose not to buy its cars- additionally, it hurts the brand image. Automatics are associated with the lazy, fat, and inexperienced drivers. Ask BMW what happened when it got out that were going to try to dump the manuals in M cars.

AMG surveyed their owners and 95% of the buyer prefer the fast shifting auto.

BMW sold more E46 M3 with SMG then manual world wide. E90/92/93 M3 are also selling more with DCT then manual. people complaint the E60 M5 doesn't have manual and they then made the manual optional and still...no one is buying the manual M5.

plain and simple those marketing research are flawed. They survey why people don't buy AMG because of its manual yet they fail to realize those same consumer are buying Ms with DCT.

sure, automatics general perception is slow, but it's not the truth with modern automatics within the last 7 years. E90/92/93 M3 with DCT is in fact quicker than it's manual counterpart. The only reason manual still exist is for those that simply want to row their own gear and because they're (manual) cheap.

however there is one truth remaining here...Mercedes makes ****ty manual gearbox.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-11-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Outland
I generally despise automatics. However, when I am forced to drive one, I want it to drive like one. Hanging onto the gear and causing you to slow dramatically, even if you lift gently is not what I expect from an auto.

Modern automatics are NOTHING like driving a manual car. You feel attached to the car with a manual. Automatics are like a video game. DSG's and the like are crap as well. The only reason you as the customer are being fed all this crap about automatics is that the manufacturers want you to believe you don't need a manual- and therefore they don't have to offer you one.
DSG and the likes are crap? obviously you haven't driven anything with it. M3 DCT, SMG, GTi w/ DSG, Ferrari sequential, EVO X DCT, etc.

you sound like you are afraid of the technology.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I forgot to update this thread! I took my car into the dealer two times for the transmission issue. The first time they just reset the adaptations for the 1-2 shift and the updated the calibrations in the ECM and TCM, well that didn't work. It made the problem worse, at WOT (or just higher RPM) the 1-2 shift was so rough that it felt like something was going to break. So I took it back in and rode with the shop foreman to show him all of my complaints. So then I get the call a few days later that they can't do anything with the transmission until it sets a DTC because Mercedes won't let them touch it. ARGH!

One other concern was the power steering was shuddering when turning the wheel at low speeds (so every day I pulled out of the garage, into a parking spot, etc.). Aparantly they ran with it and started looking at a popping sound. So they replaced the thrust arm bushings in the front and they said while they were checking the torque on everything in the front suspension, they found the engine mounts had been replaced and one of the bolts couldn't be torqued to spec. Oh boy. So now I find out this thing was wrecked so badly the cradle was most likely cracked!

Finding that out, I'm wondering if my transmission problem is that its low on fluid because maybe the cooler lines were disconnected. Of course, I said nothing because then I would have to pay for it to be checked. So I decided I'd had enough, and started shopping. I couldn't find a C350 but one of the saleman I talked to told me I should look at a C55. So I traded my car in and got me a C55! The 170hp does make a big difference by the way!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FrankW

however there is one truth remaining here...Mercedes makes ****ty manual gearbox.
+1 to all your comments especially this one. Outland likes old American slush boxes that freewheel & suffer chronic converter slip if he has to drive an auto. Thank god he's in the minority - how awful. For control a vehicle must be able to run against compession.

After driving the SL63 on the track a few months back, you might remember - I simply can't imagine that suberb vehicle with a clunky manual cog swapper.

Manual transmissions belong in heavy duty trucks.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 91RS
I forgot to update this thread! I took my car into the dealer two times for the transmission issue. The first time they just reset the adaptations for the 1-2 shift and the updated the calibrations in the ECM and TCM, well that didn't work. It made the problem worse, at WOT (or just higher RPM) the 1-2 shift was so rough that it felt like something was going to break. So I took it back in and rode with the shop foreman to show him all of my complaints. So then I get the call a few days later that they can't do anything with the transmission until it sets a DTC because Mercedes won't let them touch it. ARGH!

One other concern was the power steering was shuddering when turning the wheel at low speeds (so every day I pulled out of the garage, into a parking spot, etc.). Aparantly they ran with it and started looking at a popping sound. So they replaced the thrust arm bushings in the front and they said while they were checking the torque on everything in the front suspension, they found the engine mounts had been replaced and one of the bolts couldn't be torqued to spec. Oh boy. So now I find out this thing was wrecked so badly the cradle was most likely cracked!

Finding that out, I'm wondering if my transmission problem is that its low on fluid because maybe the cooler lines were disconnected. Of course, I said nothing because then I would have to pay for it to be checked. So I decided I'd had enough, and started shopping. I couldn't find a C350 but one of the saleman I talked to told me I should look at a C55. So I traded my car in and got me a C55! The 170hp does make a big difference by the way!
Nice - enjoy I think your old transmission needed a new valve body.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe

Manual transmissions belong in heavy duty trucks.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice - enjoy I think your old transmission needed a new valve body.
I agree, that's even what my service advisor said it probably needed. The last time it was in they said it had the latest version in it, but that still doesn't mean it can't go wrong. So far I'm liking the 5 speed much better, especially how AMG has it setup. Plus, with the 5 speed, I can do my own trans service since it has a dipstick tube.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Anyone wanna race?? there 230 i wanna see how much faster the 320 is.. Ill keep the little kid in my trunk.. my subwoofer box that is
Old 10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
i guess it would be around 0.5sec in the quarter mile...
if you drag from still it will be very close the first couple seconds
if you drag from lets say 60km/h then you will see him fly by
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230

No thanks. I'll take my C230K or I'll take a C350.
> I saw a C350 cruising on the highway today. Then out of no where a M5 came flying in. They went for it, and the C350 passed the M5 (or kept up with it, I could not see well). There was mild traffic, so both ended up in the same lane slamming their brakes.

And my friend told me that the C300 they took for a test drive was quick, thus the reason they got pulled over. hahah

So my assumption is that the new C-Classes are pretty quick.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I killed the new C300 with my C350 (w203). The new C300 is the same as a C280.

Man, the M5 would KILL the C350 like there was no tomorrow. Even the older M5 will kill it.

Maybe it was a 530 that looked like an M5?

By the way the M5 traps my friend's CL600 (BT) on the freeway. Off the line if the CL grips it'll beat the M5 but once that sexy M5 gets moving...Watch out

Last edited by W203E35; 10-12-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by Kimmel
I saw a C350 cruising on the highway today. Then out of no where a M5 came flying in. They went for it, and the C350 passed the M5 (or kept up with it, I could not see well).

I...can't...breathe...laughing...too...hard

Maybe the C350 had VTAKKKK? Once it kicked in yo, it was all over and dat C350 done smoked dat M5?

Thanks for the laugh, man.

Last edited by LILBENZ230; 10-12-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The W204s drive much better than the W203 (or at least the non AMG W203s ). The throttle response is almost immediate and it does what you want when you want it. I was very impressed with the way the C300 drove compared to my old C230. I just don't like the dash and steering wheel at all on the W204 and I'm not too much on the exterior except for the front end.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
Originally Posted by 91RS
I was very impressed with the way the C300 drove compared to my old C230. .
comparing v6 vs i4 !! naturally aspirated vs supercharged... 3l vs 2.3... thats not fair
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HellsAngel
comparing v6 vs i4 !! naturally aspirated vs supercharged... 3l vs 2.3... thats not fair
3 litre vs. 1800cc if it was an M271 & if it was an M111 that rough old clunker of an engine was built in a shed.

The V6 vs I4 is like chalk & cheese. The cars have a totally different character. A V6 W203 is every bit as nice to drive as a W204 - smooth, quiet & powerful if you have a C280 or C350. The baby V6 2.5 & 2.6 litre engines also have a character of their own. Smoothest of the whole lot & very free revving - fun if you rev them.

I'm not knocking the M271 - for an inline 4 it's pretty good but you know you are driving a 4 banger that is working hard & living on the edge.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by Kimmel
> I saw a C350 cruising on the highway today. Then out of no where a M5 came flying in. They went for it, and the C350 passed the M5 (or kept up with it, I could not see well). There was mild traffic, so both ended up in the same lane slamming their brakes.

And my friend told me that the C300 they took for a test drive was quick, thus the reason they got pulled over. hahah

So my assumption is that the new C-Classes are pretty quick.
I was racing an m5 two days ago on the freeway heading back down on the 5 to san diego.. a LS1 camaro jumped in at the end.. but I was up in OC.. There was mild traffic.. Going from 80-135 in and out of traffic it was pretty fun tell i got scared =(
Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
no you wasnt racing an M5, maybe you was racing, but he was cruising... if he wanted to race you hed smoke you... by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......AAAAAAAAAAR
Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by HellsAngel
no you wasnt racing an M5, maybe you was racing, but he was cruising... if he wanted to race you hed smoke you... by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......AAAAAAAAAAR
Its called having fun retardddd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does 27hp really make that big of a difference?