C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine grinding/rattling sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Unhappy Engine grinding/rattling sound

About a month or two ago a began noticing a grinding or rattling sound coming from the engine compartment under following conditions:
1. The engine is hot enough (~15 min driving)
and
2. When you press the gas pedal and the tach neddle moves up through the 2500RPM mark
or
When you release the gas pedal and the tach neddle moves down through the 2500RPM mark

The shop foreman had no idea what was wrong, so I had to wait for the service manager to return from training. Upon return he had some belt tensioner replaced, that was supposed to fix the problem. When I picked up the car I noticed that it had less power than usual and sounded like a very loud vacuum cleaner above 2000RPM. Next day they've found out that when they put the car back together a hose was rubbing on the drive belt, plus some supercharger line was not seated properly. That was fixed but the original problem is still there. When I brought the car back again the techs decided that something is wrong with my supercharger and ordered a new one from Fatherland. Apparently that should fix it. Needless to say I'm sceptical.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:03 PM

I agree with you - not likely to fix the problem but since they are putting in new SC anyway why dont you ask them to use the one from the '03 instead? A 10 pounder, I think, which gives twice as much boost as our '02
Old 03-07-2003, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Ohh boy, i hope things will be OK. I am still waiting for my head gasket from Germany. They said early January but it is still not here.

Hey VoyagerDude, have you signed up to Beyond.ca car forum here in calgary? There where couple guy's there like benzo asking about you. it is a really cool site for guy's in calgary. I go by the name ICEBERG there. posted couple threads. you whould come and visit us. Check it out.

let me know about this S/C problem. Sounds not too good.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:17 PM

Hmm tempting

Originally posted by Benzer
I agree with you - not likely to fix the problem but since they are putting in new SC anyway why dont you ask them to use the one from the '03 instead? A 10 pounder, I think, which gives twice as much boost as our '02
Old 03-07-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks! I just signed up there, can't post though, I may be in quaranteene

Originally posted by Iceman's C230
Ohh boy, i hope things will be OK. I am still waiting for my head gasket from Germany. They said early January but it is still not here.

Hey VoyagerDude, have you signed up to Beyond.ca car forum here in calgary? There where couple guy's there like benzo asking about you. it is a really cool site for guy's in calgary. I go by the name ICEBERG there. posted couple threads. you whould come and visit us. Check it out.

let me know about this S/C problem. Sounds not too good.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 PM

C230 K
Re: Engine grinding/rattling sound

I'm having the exact same problem. The noise started at about 5000 miles. I took my car to the dealership and of course they were not able to reproduce it. Not at 11000 miles after SERVICE A I'm hearing the same noise. I'm scheduled to take my car again in April to a different dealership. By the way Millennium MB in Bridgewater NJ sucks big time! Please keep us posted.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:47 PM

Had the same problem also.

They relplaced the sc to crank belt and the tensioner.

It is all good now.

I noticed less power too before bringing it in.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:04 PM

Got a call today that the new supercharger already arrived (from Vancouver instead of Germany) so I'm going to have it replaced on Tuesday.

I suggested the service manager to put the new '03 s/c with higher boost, he laughed and said that for higher boost I just have to replace the s/c pulley with a smaller one.

That's exactly what I was saying all along :-)

Too bad they don't want to do it for me
Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by VoyagerDude
Got a call today that the new supercharger already arrived (from Vancouver instead of Germany) so I'm going to have it replaced on Tuesday.

I suggested the service manager to put the new '03 s/c with higher boost, he laughed and said that for higher boost I just have to replace the s/c pulley with a smaller one.

That's exactly what I was saying all along :-)

Too bad they don't want to do it for me
If you supply the reduced size pulley, will they put it on while the S/C is still out of the car
Old 03-07-2003, 11:08 PM

Most likely not.

Hey Outland, did you paint your grill black?
Can you post a larger pic please

Originally posted by Outland
If you supply the reduced size pulley, will they put it on while the S/C is still out of the car
Old 03-07-2003, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Most likely not.

Hey Outland, did you paint your grill black?
Can you post a larger pic please
Although it may look like it, its not...heck, that's not even my C-230...I got the photo off the MB-German website...it looked cool, and was about the right size for an avatar. Sorry for the confusion.:p
Old 03-07-2003, 11:43 PM

no prob, looks cool though

Originally posted by Outland
Although it may look like it, its not...heck, that's not even my C-230...I got the photo off the MB-German website...it looked cool, and was about the right size for an avatar. Sorry for the confusion.:p
Old 03-12-2003, 10:26 AM

Had my s/c replaced with a new one yesterday.
And as I expected the problem is still there. Took the service manager for a ride and he was surprised to hear it.

You guys have to help me figure this one out.

Old 03-14-2003, 03:22 PM

C230 K
And as I expected the problem is still there. Took the service manager for a ride and he was surprised to hear it.

Did they say what is next to replace? Initially one of the foreman said it might be a rattling sound from the panels underneath the engine.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Hey Voyager, have you heard anything yet about the noise still? You got me worried now. I have to take my car out for a spin too see i get the same noise. I haven't been driving the car for 5-6 month now so i can't remmember if it makes the same noise.

I know mine makes a noise at low rpm's also but is tought that was normal. But when the car warms up that noise disapears.

They finally got my head gasket in. It is going in to the shop on April 2nd for repairs. i hope they will do a good job.

Keep me informed on your problem. Thanks...
Old 03-15-2003, 10:41 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Re: Engine grinding/rattling sound

About a month or two ago a began noticing a grinding or rattling sound coming from the engine compartment under following conditions:
1. The engine is hot enough (~15 min driving)
and
2. When you press the gas pedal and the tach neddle moves up through the 2500RPM mark
or
When you release the gas pedal and the tach neddle moves down through the 2500RPM mark

The shop foreman had no idea what was wrong, so I had to wait for the service manager to return from training. Upon return he had some belt tensioner replaced, that was supposed to fix the problem. When I picked up the car I noticed that it had less power than usual and sounded like a very loud vacuum cleaner above 2000RPM. Next day they've found out that when they put the car back together a hose was rubbing on the drive belt, plus some supercharger line was not seated properly. That was fixed but the original problem is still there. When I brought the car back again the techs decided that something is wrong with my supercharger and ordered a new one from Fatherland. Apparently that should fix it. Needless to say I'm sceptical.
Does it do it in all gears?

Hold it at 2500 rpm in 3rd or 4th gear and change the load on the engine by depressing the accelerator pedal some and then back off some not letting the revs stray to far from 2500 rpm.

See if the noise changes pitch, tone, or comes and goes with different loads at the same speed and post results of that test.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:17 PM

2002 Mercedes c-230 K
Unhappy hi

Originally Posted by VoyagerDude

i have a 02 C230 Kompressor and i too have a rattling noise at around 2200 rpm, sitting still, riding, and i was told by a mechanic that it could be the lifters..or tensioner, or camshaft.....
I'm in the U.S and here there is a recall on this car for a "camshaft adjustment" that hasn't been performed on my car. So i will give it a try. It will be free anyways.... But it is frustrating to drive a "Mercedes Benz" that has many problems like that. My mustang was way better....lol
If i solve my problem with the camshaft adjustment ill let you know.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 147 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Pulleys & belt tensioners, Chains & chain tensioners - hydraulic lifters (only a problem if no regular oil change)

Has anyone checked the engine mountings?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
food for thought...

When Glyn mentioned lifters though, made me recall...

on my last LS1, I had a rattle that would only occur after it warmed up, and only after a certain RPM. it took months to resolve. months. and months. no one could figure it out.

obviously it's a completely different motor, (oddly the symptoms are similar) turns out however my oil was being aerated by a torn gasket from oil pump to oil p/u tube. was introducing air bubbles into the oil right before it got sucked up through the gulleys and into the hydraulic lifters, causing the most knarly engine rattle youve heard aside from a spun bearing.

it took a schematic of the oil pathway to stumble upon the dumb luck that solved the problem.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM

2002 Mercedes c-230 K
Smile

Originally Posted by cpbeasley
food for thought...

When Glyn mentioned lifters though, made me recall...

on my last LS1, I had a rattle that would only occur after it warmed up, and only after a certain RPM. it took months to resolve. months. and months. no one could figure it out.

obviously it's a completely different motor, (oddly the symptoms are similar) turns out however my oil was being aerated by a torn gasket from oil pump to oil p/u tube. was introducing air bubbles into the oil right before it got sucked up through the gulleys and into the hydraulic lifters, causing the most knarly engine rattle youve heard aside from a spun bearing.

it took a schematic of the oil pathway to stumble upon the dumb luck that solved the problem.
I believe that too could be a cause for the rattling on my 02 C230...Cuz when I bought it the oil was Black, and looked as it was sitting for a long time... so how much did it cost you to fix it??
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Originally Posted by leomitz
I believe that too could be a cause for the rattling on my 02 C230...Cuz when I bought it the oil was Black, and looked as it was sitting for a long time... so how much did it cost you to fix it??
Well, my thought is that it sounds like a hydraulic liter issue. Whether or not it has to do with aeration, who knows, but theres a good chance its due to the lifters not getting pumped up as they should. either an obstruction leading to the lifters or something along those lines
how does your oil pressure look? If the oil pressure sending unit is after the lifters, then you should see a decrease in pressure (slight not a lot). however if its before (i dont know on your car) then itll look the same.

i did all the work myself to the car in question. it would have been easy $500+ in labor costs.

this really sounds like your lifters. talk to a service guy, get a diagram of oil flow, see if theres anything in the way of the path before it hits the lifters that could possibly be blocking them. doubtful all your lifters went bad at once... but they could be damaged from the problem at hand and need replaced in the long run...