C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My Gameplan for Transmission Service, What do you think??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Question My Gameplan for Transmission Service, What do you think??

To start, i got a 2005 C230 Sport Kompressor Sedan and have 61,000 miles. Never had a transmission Drop/Drain or Flush.

Read through all the tutorials big thanks to C230sportcoup for an awesome diy >>> https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post2739493

I don't have any tranny problems right now... just want to do some basic maintenance. I talked to an buddy whois a technician for Honda and his recommendation was this:

1) Drop and Drain tranny, change filter, gasket and TCU connector

2) 15,000 miles later just drain the tranny from the drain plug and refill

3) 15,000 miles do same

4) Next time around do a full flush

Reason is because 1) my tranny is fine right now.. so no need to potentially cause a problem and 2) since the tranny fluid from the pan and converter will mix if i do this 3 times over a period of time it should all even out, ie, system should stay relatively cleanER vs not doing it at all.

Just want to make this first tranny flush or pseudo flush is as easy and PIA free as possible while still ensuring the added benefits of maintenance.

So.. after reading this.. do you guys think this is a good plan and should i proceed... or ya'll think i should just do the entire flush and why...

Thanks for all your insightful offerings... much appreciated senors and senoritas!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I would just do a entire flush and be done with it. I remember some guy at a shop i was in said that his car burned a quart every 500 miles. so he never needed to change the oil again because it was all new. but if you think about it which quart got old or burned you could end up with a quart of really crappy oil. yes i know that doesn't make any sense but i would rather sleep at night and have all new oil in my transmission then do some crazy 15k 5-6 quart change. i am no expert though lets wait to see what he says lol
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
This isn't clever. Trey is right in his example, in a way.. You don't have engine problems, either, so should you change the oil? To be fair my car is at 75,600 miles and has not had a transmission service either and it is also fine. You could run it a while longer.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM

hey guys thanks for the replies.. and i guess i figured that was gonna be the consensus. That was me being a lazy ***.

My only unknown going forward is where is the right oil cooling line that goes to the radiator from the tranny... i wanna make sure that i'm not disconnecting the line that goes out of the radiator back to the transmission cause that would make for a huge mess.

I was looking at C230coups diy but the picture is kinda blurry....

Does anyone have a better picture or or ideas.. thanks!!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by aznstud510x
To start, i got a 2005 C230 Sport Kompressor Sedan and have 61,000 miles. Never had a transmission Drop/Drain or Flush.

Read through all the tutorials big thanks to C230sportcoup for an awesome diy >>> https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post2739493

I don't have any tranny problems right now... just want to do some basic maintenance. I talked to an buddy whois a technician for Honda and his recommendation was this:

1) Drop and Drain tranny, change filter, gasket and TCU connector

2) 15,000 miles later just drain the tranny from the drain plug and refill

3) 15,000 miles do same

4) Next time around do a full flush

Reason is because 1) my tranny is fine right now.. so no need to potentially cause a problem and 2) since the tranny fluid from the pan and converter will mix if i do this 3 times over a period of time it should all even out, ie, system should stay relatively cleanER vs not doing it at all.

Just want to make this first tranny flush or pseudo flush is as easy and PIA free as possible while still ensuring the added benefits of maintenance.

So.. after reading this.. do you guys think this is a good plan and should i proceed... or ya'll think i should just do the entire flush and why...

Thanks for all your insightful offerings... much appreciated senors and senoritas!!!
If all else fails you should read what your service books says on changing the transmission oil.
Don't be misled into thinking it will be OK.
Once you have problems it is too late, the expensive damage has been done.
Auto transmissions depend on regular maintenance.ie oil changes.

If it is not done you will shorten its service life.

Regarding draining a % of the oil out at intervals . In my opinion a full flush is preferable but changing filters & a % of the oil on a regular basis is much better than doing nought.

Some kind person will be able to tell us what % of oil is able to be drained out.

Say 40% then there is 60% old oil left.
At the next change 40% of that 60% will be dropped leaving 36% of old oil.
Get the message.

If I were doing it this way I would do, say 3 or 4 drains in sucession to to bring the % of old oil down quickly.

I used to do it this way with my old European ZF auto box & it is still running since 1983.

My current MB 5 speed auto box is supposed to be sealed for life but the local MB tech says it should be flushed at 60,000 KM which is what I intend to do.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

2003 C320 Sport Sedan
You need to find a shop with a proper exchanger. This machine pulls the old out while at the same time pumps new fluid in. If I remember right there is a tranny fluid cooler on the front by the radiator and it would be really easy to tap into the system there.

If you wanted to you could but a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93019

From the looks of it you will need to do this 2x with this exact machine since it only holds 8 qts. I am not exactly sure how that would work out with you removing fittings but you could make a plug system so as soon as you are finished push/pulling one you could pull the plugs and cap them off. Get the machine ready again and do the second round.

To me it seems like this would be the easy way to go and get everything out of the sytem. You would still need to get under the car to change the filter. I would do that first before the push/pull operation.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would go with your buddies suggestion.

61k without a transmission fluid change is a long time. Even though they say its life time fluid, its not. When i changed mine out at 80k the fluid was black as hell with a lot of metal shards around the magnet.

I didn't have any tranny problems either but its good piece of mind to have new fluid in there and knowing those metal shards arent there.

Also, you probably don't have to do it again at 15k, you can probably stretch it to 25-30k.

I would only do it again at 15k if you do a lot of city driving.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM

So i lucked out and found a MB tech selling the new tranny fluid on craigslist.. got 12 quarts for $90 bucks. I told him my plans and he recommended this as an alternate.

Said to:

1) pop the plug and drain/refill. Start car and let run for 15 mins to mix fluid.

2) Do it again, pop plug and drain/refill. Start car again and let run for 15 mins to mix fluid.

3) Let car stand for 1 hour to cool liquid down then drop the pan, replace filter and gasket, bushing if required and refill.

4) Then perform finishing things like temperature and appropriate levels.

He said to do it this way to prevent causing a mess and potentially clear tubing the wrong radiator entry/exit. Said that by doing this eventually you will dilute enough of the old fluid to new.

What do ya'll think about that?

Also here's a picture of the radiator. Does anyone know where the RIGHT OIL COOLING LINE that goes from the transmission to the radiator actually enters, ie, brings tranny fluid into radiator to be cooled, not the out line. This is the line that needs to be removed to fit the clear tubing to evacuate the rest of the transmission fluid as per C230sportcoup's DIY.

Thanks!

(2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan Radiator)
Old 02-26-2010, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
damn, mine is gonna hit 40k soon. Time for a transmission fluid/filter change
Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I agree with Carsy. Yes, a flush is a better choice, but frankly is a PITA DIY and expensive to have it done at a shop.

Flushes have become really popular as of late, and IMO, it is just because people let regular maintenance go too long, then decide a flush will make up for delaying maintenance, and then allow them to delay the next one again.

I would suggest just following MB (ROW) maintenance schedule, and do a regular fluid AND filter change every 38K miles.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by aznstud510x

Also here's a picture of the radiator. Does anyone know where the RIGHT OIL COOLING LINE that goes from the transmission to the radiator actually enters, ie, brings tranny fluid into radiator to be cooled, not the out line. This is the line that needs to be removed to fit the clear tubing to evacuate the rest of the transmission fluid as per C230sportcoup's DIY.

Thanks!

(2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan Radiator)

Anybody have an answer? Please and Thank you!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM

05 c230
aznstud510x do you what tranny fluid part number you used?