C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

OH BEE DEE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240
OH BEE DEE

Hey all,

Bought this scanner
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Profe...item5190d6ad15

Plugged it in earlier and somehow: READ has failed. Verify the connection at the DLC. Verify the ignition key is ON. Played with it a few times with the same outcome

Tried it with my wife's kia & worked perfectly.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dont think this unit is updatable.

Found this STFF but I'm still out of answers.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-issues.html
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by danev6972
Hey all,

Bought this scanner
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Profe...item5190d6ad15

Plugged it in earlier and somehow: READ has failed. Verify the connection at the DLC. Verify the ignition key is ON. Played with it a few times with the same outcome

Tried it with my wife's kia & worked perfectly.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dont think this unit is updatable.

Found this STFF but I'm still out of answers.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...er-issues.html
I have the exact same unit from the same seller. Works like a charm on my car. Re-check the connections (its really hard to connect and needs a bit of force before it will connect properly). If that doesn't work, your OBD connector on your car is pooched.

The scanner is 100% compatible with our cars.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
That's a great little scanner - should work fine
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by jcnash
I have the exact same unit from the same seller. Works like a charm on my car. Re-check the connections (its really hard to connect and needs a bit of force before it will connect properly). If that doesn't work, your OBD connector on your car is pooched.

The scanner is 100% compatible with our cars.
What if it's "pooched"?
Is it an expensive replacement?
Is there a data link fuse?

Seller offered me $20 for any inconvenience.

Last edited by danev6972; 03-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What if it's "pooched"?
Is it an expensive replacement?
Is there a data link fuse?

Seller offered me $20 for any inconvenience.
Depending on which part of your connector needs to be replaced, it can get pretty expensive. Usually these are pretty fool-proof ie...you have to try very hard to break the OBD connector.

As a first step, I would recommend getting under the dash (facing up) with a bright flashlight and just looking at the connector. I have a feeling youll find one of the pin connectors is blocked or bent. Try blowing compressed air into it if you dont find anything.

Then try re-connecting the scanner and like I said earlier, you have to use some force. My scanner wont connect and read until I kinda wiggle the connector around and use some force to push it in.

Not sure if there is an independent fuse for the OBD connector. There is however a fuse map floating around the forum...just do a search for fuse map and read through the list to see if any one fuse controls the connector...but I doubt it.

And yeh..the seller is a great guy! Sells a quality product + great service.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by jcnash
Depending on which part of your connector needs to be replaced, it can get pretty expensive. Usually these are pretty fool-proof ie...you have to try very hard to break the OBD connector.

As a first step, I would recommend getting under the dash (facing up) with a bright flashlight and just looking at the connector. I have a feeling youll find one of the pin connectors is blocked or bent. Try blowing compressed air into it if you dont find anything.

Then try re-connecting the scanner and like I said earlier, you have to use some force. My scanner wont connect and read until I kinda wiggle the connector around and use some force to push it in.

Not sure if there is an independent fuse for the OBD connector. There is however a fuse map floating around the forum...just do a search for fuse map and read through the list to see if any one fuse controls the connector...but I doubt it.

And yeh..the seller is a great guy! Sells a quality product + great service.
Did what you said...blew compressed air into it, wiggled it,...and still not reading.
I was looking at it with the flashlight and nothing bent as far as i can tell. Now do all the "holes" in the connector have contact points in them? Looks like gold when you shine them w/ a flashlight. I see a few holes missing them...don't know if that is the way it should be. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
oh snap.... your passed the 30 day money back guarantee......... maybe you just got unlucky and got a bad one..
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
oh snap.... your passed the 30 day money back guarantee......... maybe you just got unlucky and got a bad one..
The scanner actually works on my wife's Kia sorento. I think it's just my car.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:35 PM

2003 c240 4matic wagon
go to a local parts shop some of them will scan your car for free with thier obd2 reader if thiers works on your car it will tell you your cars fine
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by contact148
go to a local parts shop some of them will scan your car for free with thier obd2 reader if thiers works on your car it will tell you your cars fine
I'd probably try that as well, or try it with a buddy's. At least that will identify that it may just be some strange incompatibility between your particular car and the scanner (albeit inexplicable) and not an issue with your car itself.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did what you said...blew compressed air into it, wiggled it,...and still not reading.
I was looking at it with the flashlight and nothing bent as far as i can tell. Now do all the "holes" in the connector have contact points in them? Looks like gold when you shine them w/ a flashlight. I see a few holes missing them...don't know if that is the way it should be. Thanks for your time.
Not sure if all the holes are supposed to have connectors..Ill check during the weekend and get back to ya.
Meanwhile definitely try what the others have suggested...try a buddies scanner or the auto parts score scanner on your car...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM

2003 C240
Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
Originally Posted by contact148
While I was in autozone I borrowed their scanner. And viola! it worked.
It was a bad scanner. At least it was not the car.