C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

AMP/SUB Installation problem with BOSE Audio Pilot

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Angry AMP/SUB Installation problem with BOSE Audio Pilot

I have a HUGE problem with Bose's Audio Pilot after installing aftermarket AMP and SUBs. The volume would jump up and down like it has a mind of its own. I'm not talking about just + or - 9dB. This is way way louder than that. It can be so loud that I had to switch off the system entirely now. And it's definately NOT gradual increase in volume, it's sudden increase that can give you a heart attack.

Mind you, this is not a question about SPEED SENSITIVE AUDIO ADJUSTMENT. This is about Audio Pilot feature on BOSE systems that senses the ambient noise and 'tries' to adjust it. I understand it CANNOT be turned off by the dealership or the BOSE.

After reading this forum, I've tried cutting microphone wire that's located near the rear view mirror and removed the entire headlamp assembly in search of additional microphone but none that I could find.

Is there any other microphone to sense the ambient noise in BOSE systems?

Anybody with BOSE system + aftermarket SUBs had this problem before? Any solutions? I really want to keep the factory HU and the factory speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aside from that the whole set up is AWESOME! The installer did a GREAT job and it looks sweet. Now I end up just looking at instead of listening to it!!

I'll post pics after developing it (no digital camera).

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by radical; 04-01-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:49 PM

it is that +/- 9dB thing. Have the dealer set it to 0 and you wont have a problem.

Or you can lower the crossover settings a lot. That helped for me.... but then i got tired of it and changed it to 0.

~fk
Old 04-01-2003, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
temporarily try this:

in the sunroof-controls area there is a circular plug thingy with a rectangle and vents in it (about 1 inch in size) pop that out. Inside is a microphone... unplug it.

This is the audio pilot sensor mike.

Peet
Old 04-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
First Kill:
No. According to a long search on this forum, it seems like there are 2 systems that adjust the audio volume automatically on BOSE systems. I'm having problem with the Audio Pilot thingy.

Peet:

I've already tried that. I cut out the wire since there is no way to plug it out. I've also taken apart the entire light assembly near the rear view mirror to search for any other sensors. I found nothing but the temp sensor. It's still the same.

My Audio installer is calling other installers who had done such systems to see if he can find out anything.

Thanks for your advise though guys.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM

radical,

I have a sub in my car and im just letting u know what i found through expereince.

~fk
Old 04-03-2003, 04:11 PM

2002 C230k
i have a high-low converter with my setup, and i set it on low output in order to prevent that crazy volume effect (which happened to me too). I think the sub is pulling too much power from the bose amp, which confuses the system. the high-low converter (i believe) limits the amount of power (watts) that are being drawn from the bose amp, and thus eliminating the volume problem.

ryan
Old 04-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Firstkill: Do you have BOSE system?

madryan: I'll ask my installer to try that. Until now he hasn't been able to locate problem. You do have the factory BOSE system as well, right?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:38 PM

yes i have a bose system

and im not even using a hi low converter.. tapped the sub straight to the amp.

~fk
Old 04-04-2003, 12:38 PM

2002 C230k
yeah, i have the bose... but maybe your amp is different...
i have a rockford fosgate amp, it probably makes a difference??
i didn't get to use the supplied wires of the amp to connect directly, so i can't tell if it works without the converter with my amp (lost the adapter).
ask you installer to try it... it's worth a shot...

firstkill: what kind of amp do you have? i'm lookin for a new amp.

ryan
Old 04-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Actually I just found out that I do have hi-low converter and it's set to it's lowest.

I'll try what firstkill suggested about setting it to 0db and see what happens.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
I just called MB dealer and one of the technicians told me that 'I believe it turns both off if we turn it off' referring to ambient noise auto volume adjusting system and the Speed Sensitive volume adjusting system.

I've scheduled to do it on Monday and keep it posted.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:31 PM

I have tried 2 ways..
1 using the infinity bass link (which i keep now)
200 watt amp

and then another
alpine amp

~fk
Old 04-04-2003, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
You have to get rid of the stock head unit or you will have problems forever, I just took out my stock Nav head unit..
If you want a hard system the fiber optic systems suck badd..
Old 04-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
How much do you want to sell ur stock NAV system?
Old 04-04-2003, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by radical
How much do you want to sell ur stock NAV system?
I am gonna keep it, We are going to re- install it w/o the CD attached. I got some W203 ///AMG Springs..cheap

Last edited by Vader13; 04-04-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Back from dealer

Just got back from dealer after setting Speed Sensitive auto volume adjustment and the Noise/Traffic Sensitive Auto Volume Adjustment turned off.

It was fine for about 3 hours and it stared going crazy again. I took it back to Audio installer and we still cannot find what the cause is. Please HELP!

Does anyone have any manual for Bose HU on W203's? We tried contacting BOSE but I think they already closed for the day.

Thanks all.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Back from dealer

Just got back from dealer after setting Speed Sensitive auto volume adjustment and the Noise/Traffic Sensitive Auto Volume Adjustment turned off.

It was fine for about 3 hours and it stared going crazy again. I took it back to Audio installer and we still cannot find what the cause is. Please HELP!

Does anyone have any manual for Bose HU on W203's? We tried contacting BOSE but I think they already closed for the day.

Thanks all.
I told ya. There is no hope as far as I know..You need to get rid of the FO ststem and get an aftermarket system.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Re: Back from dealer

Thanks all.
Mine does that too, and it is not a good thing because then It disorts your sub, and that is how you damage your sub

Did you try removing the Microphone like peet said. I think I am going to try that this week.

I dont get the volume problem maybe once in a while, because I play my music all the way turned up high, but if i put the volume low, and play it for like 10 minutes It will jump up. Scared a couple of my passengers a couple of times:p
Old 04-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Don't do it. I've already tried cutting out the microphone. It doesn't work. I took some pics.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Location of the mic.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
This is the wire that I cut. It did not help at all!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
it is because that is a telephone microphone !! inside the plastic cover with "map" and "read" lights in it, there is the Bose microphone, it is on the right side, that little grilled area. on the left, there is also a grilled area, but there is no whole in it. I taped it off with tape and foam, and the problem is not yet gone, but the instant volume increase is nearly gone, even with very loud bass. i will disable / cut it of eventually, but then i need to do it very carefully, as i want my total car in perfect condition if i sell it ;-)

I assume , if i disconnect / cut off, the microphone that the problem will be eliminated 100%. also you can disconnect the pins 1, 2 and 3 on the bose ampllifier, because these pins are "responsible" for the bose microphone (found it on the internet at the specs of a w220 bose amplifier)

if you don't see it, i will post a picture ! let me know !
Old 05-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
That's an interesting point wimpytron. Because that's exactly what we thought.

Me and my audio installer took out the whole light assembly and took apart the platstic cover only to find out that there is no microphone in that grill that you talked about. I should have taken picture to warn other people but I didn't have a camera with me then.

We took apart the Head Unit assembly and found nothing there as well.

We tried calling BOSE and they told us that the feature can't be turned off and that their "SYSTEM" is not designed to use with aftermarket parts/woofers.

I'll ask my Installer to try pins 1, 2 and 3 solution though. May I know where you found out? May be a link would help.

Thanks for replying!.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
it is from a guy that modified his e class break, on the site he also explains how to build in a command.

http://users.pandora.be/miata/english/Comand/bose.htm

Be carefull : it is for a W220 bose amplifier, but it has to be similar for the sportcoupe's built in bose amplifier.

As for the "bose comment" I couldn't agree more ! Their support service sucks and they simply do not give any decent info.

I thought, if bose won't give me the info, i will have to search it myself. As for the ambient noise THERE HAS TO BE a microphone and i think i found it now.

Allthough you said that you took apart the "light unit" and did not find any mike , that sounds strange.... but there is something in the right grilled surface... what is it then ?

But i swear . i taped foam over the grille and then the loud bass does not "distort" the sub. from the moment i remove the foam, after i few seconds the "flipping" sound comes back ! So, it should be related.... allthough i read somewhere here on the forum that it is a sensor for the airconditioning....

2 B continued!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Almost a Member!

03 E500
Yea. I think it was some sort of temperature sensor. I forgot what it was all I knew was my heart sank why I found out it wasn't a microphone.

Anyways, did a google search and found the following site.

http://www.ibex.co.uk/mbstuff/Retrofitting%20Comand.htm

It's about command with some descriptions of PINs on W203 head unit as well. But no idea which ones are for Microphone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: AMP/SUB Installation problem with BOSE Audio Pilot