C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Cracked windshield...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Question Cracked windshield...

Picked a fight with a rock and got a nasty crack. Should I insist on genuine MB replacement glass or would the "little red truck" guys windscreen be OK.

Thanks,
K1200LT
Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 AM

'05 C230
W203 windshields have sensors so better go for OEM. Check your insurance if you have a 0 ded glass coverage.
I replaced mine 2 yrs ago and if I remember correctly, OEMs go for 200 bucks.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
I also had mine replaced under insurance.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Yes, OEM windshield is your best best. I have replaced 2 on mine and ready for the third. The difference in price between OEM and quality aftermarket is not much different.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
WTF how do you guys crack the oem windshields? I have had huge rocks hit mine and all the dam rocks do is chip it. It is to the point where I probably can get it replaced by insurance because it is so pitted it is dangerous. Can you guys give me any pointers? lol I wonder if the 01 had a better quality glass or something i notice that you guys have newer cars then me.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Driving down the highway at 80mph and a small rock comes up will not only chip your paint, but also leave it's mark on your winshield.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM

2006 C230 Sedan
Yup. Darn Rocks.

I am wondering, does anyone one of you while driving down the freeway and next thing you hear is a *crack*, do you cringe or is it just me.

I have a pitted windshield in the center, although it was there when I bought the car, but I still hate it.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
I say go with OEM windshied. Not only the minimal difference in price,.... but windshields are part of the structure of the car these days! So going with a non OEM windshield just to save a few bucks and likely end up with a poorer quality glass that's not as strong (thinner),... really isn't worth it. What happens if you get into an accident or roll-over.

But since you already have a crack windshield,... take a picture and document it,... take a photo every week or month,.... it could be fun to watch that crack spread. Oh well,... maybe that's just me.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 AM

'05 C230
I hate it when a truck swerves in front of me and kicks up these big rocks with their monster thread tires.

First time I had my windshield replaced was when a rock chipped my glass. Its the size of a pea at first then it cracked to 7 inches under the hot sun in just a few hours.
Glass companies will not repair your windshield if the crack is bigger than a dollar bill or if the crack is on the edge.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 ML500
OEM glass is generally thicker than aftermarket so in the long run it might be the better investment. It is also important to have a reputable glass shop perform the replacement because the windshield is a major safety concern in the event of a car accident. Many modern vehicles have the passenger airbag either facing directly at the occupant or up in the air. When the airbag is facing up in the air, the deployment is designed to hit the windshield and then deflect towards the occupant. This is exactly the case on the 203s. Whenever you replace a windshield, the OEM seal will be broken and it will never be the same again or as strong as the original seal. It is important to have a reputable shop with qualified techs perform the replacement in order to achieve as strong of a seal to the original as possible. If a windshield has a poor or weak seal, then in the case of an accident the airbag may actually pop the windshield out and the airbag will not be able to perform its intended purpose. I'm not saying all replacement windshields will pop out but it has happened before due to a poor seal.

Cracks can usually be repaired but it depends on age. Fresh cracks will always repair much better than an older crack that has been exposed to moisture and dirt. Cracks that have reached the edge can also be repaired. These are generally easier to repair because one end has already reached the edge of the glass so it will no longer spread. In this case, a crack stop can be performed only on the other end to prevent the crack from spreading any further.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
For me, it is largely because when we get a few days of snow here, they use gravel on the roads instead of salt Most of the time they recover it for re-use, other times they leave it on the road. You think the windshield is bad? Check out my thread for a pic of what the paint looks like on my car

Originally Posted by samaritrey
WTF how do you guys crack the oem windshields? I have had huge rocks hit mine and all the dam rocks do is chip it. It is to the point where I probably can get it replaced by insurance because it is so pitted it is dangerous. Can you guys give me any pointers? lol I wonder if the 01 had a better quality glass or something i notice that you guys have newer cars then me.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Trey - I think they are trying to tell you it's where you live

My original screen is still almost perfect. Cape Town's roads are kept clean with those big sweepers & we have a mild climate. When I lived in Dallas my screens always got wrecked by gravel laying in winter. When I lived in Johannesburg I averaged a screen a year - coal trucks & the likes including hail.

San Francisco & Sydney, Aus were much like Cape Town unless you got plain unlucky. Places like Rio - no problem - Sao Paulo, Campinas - sugar area & Belo Horizonte - mining area - big trouble. German Autobahn - no trouble. Italian Autostrada - trouble - & so it goes.

In China - big cities are fine (you even get fined for a dirty car in Shanghai) - the long open road - trouble. Same goes for places like Thailand.

It all depends on the road conditions & traffic. I don't think that premium glass varies that much. Many Mercs have Pilkingtons screens & they are pretty good IMHO.