C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Transmission sequentronic - WONT SHIFT GEARS!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes - I can speak Afrikaans/Flemish/Dutch but my German is terrible.
Here is a great translator.

http://translate.google.com/#

Has all kinds of languages
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R171, SLK, 200K
Very bad news, as we waited for a detached unit and battery. And it connected, everything is as before, no change. Do not want to learn ... stops in the same way and no error.

I have no idea now
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz S 550
well for transmission issues u should normally check the transmission fluid, if it has turned brown then get it changed.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Karo
+1 I really hope this works.

To do a totall software flash you will need to go into Xentry Flash in DAS and you can flash it from there (but this requires a username password and might not work with cracked ones). Or you can order the disk (software of the transmission) and do an offline flash.

The way were doing it isn't a total flash, just setting overwrite you can say.
I'm with you

+1 on google translator - It makes a big mess of things sometimes.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vakity
Very bad news, as we waited for a detached unit and battery. And it connected, everything is as before, no change. Do not want to learn ... stops in the same way and no error.

I have no idea now
You have completed the list of guided tests & found everything to be OK - No sticking solenoids etc.

Are there any tests you can do on the manual shifter with Star or is it effectively just a switch?

This is not a fluid related problem as long as the hydraulics are working.

I am suspicious that the problem is the TCU module

You are going to have to do something major to take a step forward. Either take it to the dealer & they will start by replacing things one by one until it works - that's what dealers do & it will be expensive. You can do all the testing they can as you have a full Star.

So:

- You can try & get a full software flash for the TCU & load it yourself.
- You can get a new TCU from the dealer & ask if you can return it if it makes no difference.
- Do you have any module rebuilders that could repair the TCU to Benz spec?
There are a few in the US - I know of only one in SA. In Europe it might be easier.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

R171, SLK, 200K
Friends I think I already have some idea what the problem. Honors, I am convinced that a mechanical problem and not the electronic part.
What I do today:
- I managed to reset the control module ... This happened after I had several unsuccessful attempts to learn. STAR proposed to reset the module, I agreed reset it. But nothing has changed ...
- I took another speed sensor, this time from Bosch. Again, nothing has changed ...

Another I noticed today was that depending on the position of the car in forward or backward. When you let go to learn ... Stops on different gear, as I said yesterday the suspension of 2. Today it moved forward, stopped at the rear R... Then it moved back, stopped to learn in 4 gear.

We just went with a guy I know who deals with car repair and he told me that there are likely to have worn synchronizer body. themselves shifting gears. And that problem is in the synchronizer or any occasions of gear.

Another I forgot to tell you is that when I changed the gearbox oil. Inside the oil had metal shavings, and then some pretty big who had gathered on the cap and drainage, which is magnetic. And it suggests that it may be something broken inside.

What do you think friends, is it possible? Because tomorrow I can take off the gearbox and it dismantled.

Thank you very much! Many help!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by vakity
Friends I think I already have some idea what the problem. Honors, I am convinced that a mechanical problem and not the electronic part.
What I do today:
- I managed to reset the control module ... This happened after I had several unsuccessful attempts to learn. STAR proposed to reset the module, I agreed reset it. But nothing has changed ...
- I took another speed sensor, this time from Bosch. Again, nothing has changed ...

Another I noticed today was that depending on the position of the car in forward or backward. When you let go to learn ... Stops on different gear, as I said yesterday the suspension of 2. Today it moved forward, stopped at the rear R... Then it moved back, stopped to learn in 4 gear.

We just went with a guy I know who deals with car repair and he told me that there are likely to have worn synchronizer body. themselves shifting gears. And that problem is in the synchronizer or any occasions of gear.

Another I forgot to tell you is that when I changed the gearbox oil. Inside the oil had metal shavings, and then some pretty big who had gathered on the cap and drainage, which is magnetic. And it suggests that it may be something broken inside.

What do you think friends, is it possible? Because tomorrow I can take off the gearbox and it dismantled.

Thank you very much! Many help!
Atleast we now know the module is fine. Metal shavings and some pretty big is not a good sign (small shavings I think is fine but big ones..I don't really know). Are you now going to take apart your transmission?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

It could well have a mechanical problem as well. How many metal shavings? The standard manual transmission runs Phosphor Bronze (not magnetic) synchro cones/rings into a steal body. Not sure for Sequentronic. Might all be steel for strength.

If you think there is some mechanical damage to the transmission then you must fix that first before anything else is done.

What I don't understand is why the electronic module won't learn. Does it have to physically shift between gears to learn?? Why can't the TCU learn without the transmission physically operating? It should be able to learn without being connected to the change solenoids. Maybe there is something I don't understand here.

What it is learning is flashed onto an EPROM - Yes?

If it can only learn by fully achieving a gear change then if the transmission will not go into a gear the operation will stop. Maybe it is jamming when it trys to select a gear. Does your mechanic realise that the car is stationary?

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

How many metal shavings? More than this, Same as this, Less than this?????

Attached Thumbnails Transmission sequentronic - WONT SHIFT GEARS!-dsc00360k.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM

R171, SLK, 200K
Tomorrow I intend to overthrow and dismantle the gearbox. And I hope to understand what happened. Yes definitely had more metal shavings, from the picture. There were quite large metal on the magnet of drain plug. Also there were metal shavings and speed sensor, which is also magnetic. I guess there is a problem with synchronization rings first and reverse gears.

But until it is opened there is no way to be sure. I suppose that when the engine is not running, switch gear that allows but I do not include the end. And just so the module can not learn them.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission sequentronic - WONT SHIFT GEARS!-1.jpg  
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Good luck, I wish the problem was something less painful than taking the transmission apart but atleast you'll have a fresh transmission.

Do you have WIS? I can send you documents if you dont have WIS?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

R171, SLK, 200K
I got it, but something could not find information on how to dismantle the gearbox. how to change these synchronizing rings ... Now, I try to find on the Internet ... But nothing found

thank you
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 2002
How many metal shavings? More than this, Same as this, Less than this?????

Hey you used my picture =DD my transmission is still doing great if not better kinda crazy..

I hope you get your car fixed man after reading a few pages i would have pulled my hair already
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

vakity - One last thing before you pull the transmission down. Please make sure it has enough hydraulic fluid. That there is no air in the hydraulic system. That the hydraulic pump is working (electric motor running) and that the hydraulic pressure is correct.

I have read the whole thread again & searched everything I can find on the Sequentronic. The common problems seem to be solenoids, hydraulic pumps & electronics.

You are going to have to have a close look in Star. You have checked the solenoids - They seem OK - have the correct resistance which means they have not burnt out. You have not checked the hydraulic pump or hydraulic pressure. I don't know the method to check these. Try & find in Star or WIS.

If you have more metal shavings than the picture above you will have to find where they come from.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Let me see what I can find in WIS. Listen to Glyn he is the most knowledgeable person on this website. I'll try to see if you can actuate hydraulic pump.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I'm reading here if the pump malfunctions or doesn't work it should throw a code. But WTF this car has no codes

Under actuations, you can release the pressure of the pump to check it but again my main question is if there are no fault codes then it has to be some kind of internal transmission part. For example my transmission had no fault codes and transmission was laggy and shifted bad and they determined my valve body was bad. So I'm guessing Vikity's problem is similar to mine. Maybe it really is the synchro?

Pic of Pump

Last edited by W203E35; 02-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah Karo - Thanks for the confidence. I'm on a learning curve here. I've never worked on or driven a Sequentronic. There are very few in SA - We are an auto & odd manual country. Benz SA built cars have never been fitted with the Sequentronic. The ones here are imports.

But - at the end of the day this thing is not rocket science. It is an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated, manual transmission.

Yes - There is a dedicated hydraulic fluid reservior somewhere that feeds that pump in your pic.

It might be something as simple as a synchro cone/ring - If this is all it is I would expect the transmission to work but grate gears slightly at the change point. Not what it is doing.

We might have a damaged selector fork or something similar that jams up at change. We might have a worn selector fork or a loose one as well.

I don't trust the lack of codes on this car. It should be throwing codes. I must go to bed 3:30 am here.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-11-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Yeah Karo - Thanks for the confidence. I'm on a learning curve here. I've never worked on or driven a Sequentronic. There are very few in SA - We are an auto & odd manual country. Benz SA built cars have never been fitted with the Sequentronic. The ones here are imports.

But - at the end of the day this thing is not rocket science. It is an electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated, manual transmission.

Yes - There is a dedicated hydraulic fluid reservior somewhere that feeds that pump in your pic.

It might be something as simple as a synchro cone/ring - If this is all it is I would expect the transmission to work but grate gears slightly at the change point. Not what it is doing.

We might have a damaged selector fork or something similar that jams up at change. We might have a worn selector fork or a loose one as well.

I don't trust the lack of codes on this car. It should be throwing codes. I must go to bed 3:30 am here.
I've never even heard of this transmission

Good night Glyn
Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 AM

R171, SLK, 200K
Hi friends these days via dismantled all of this transmission. Absolutely all of parts and nothing was broken or worn or anything wrong. It dismantled, all inside is like brand new. Also dismantled the hydraulic unit that manages it, which is also all right and nothing wrong.

So all was assembled again and uploaded, but no result again to do the same. Interesting is that there was air in the hydraulics, which I think should not be there.

And from there I guess it comes the problem. In the hydraulic system should not have air.

The other is that already got an error P2080 Pressure too low

Now the question is how the hydraulic evacuated by air. In front of the hydraulic clutch I plug but did not find anywhere how to do ....
Old 01-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

This has been a lot of work for you but I'm pleased everything is OK. There must be a hydraulic system bleeding procedure. Hopefully Karo can find it for us in the WIS. There must be no air in the hydraulics.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-16-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Ok, we're slowly finding the issue. Let me start off by warning you do not have your internet up while using DAS/SDS. The chinese clone Multiplexers get blacklisted and I recently learned the hard way.

Let me do a little research and i'll post my finding. I know in DAS you can release pressure but let me do some research.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
ok great news. You can reduce hydraulic oil pressure in DAS under actuations. And the when you plug it back in it says to shift through all the gears until sufficient system pressure is available.

Go into WIS and under Infobox2 click on Keyword directory and type SEQ in keyword. You will get at the very bottom Sequentronic. Click that and read all the documents. There is great info.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
It says: "If transmission does not shift Remove/Install Haydraulic pump."

Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Check and Correct Hydraulic Oil Level

Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
SEQ Transmission

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Transmission sequentronic - WONT SHIFT GEARS!