C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What Tires are the best?
Goodyear
5.92%
Toyo
7.89%
Michelin
39.44%
Continental
12.11%
Falken
7.04%
Pirelli
12.11%
Other
15.49%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I replaced the tires on my C320 with the Dunlop SP Sport A2s (based in part on the rankings -- #5 -- noted above). I really like them, especially in the 225/50R16 size which is slightly wider than the OEM 205s. Much better tire (grippier) than the Pirelli P6 (ranked #7) that came with the car, yet don't wear as much in the year since I bought them. They look good, too.

Also, I live in a Dallas suburb, which is generally the same latitude as Atlanta. These tires are very good in the wet, too. ABS used to come on all the time with the Pirellis, but never do with the Dunlops.

A friend of mine put a set of Falken Ziex's on his Passat and he loves them, too.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
so this is #1 rated

Falken Ziex ZE-512 Tires

Features:
Uni-directional tread design and circumferential grooves for superior wet weather handling
Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride
Improved rim protection ridge protects expensive custom wheels
New multi-radius profile increases contact pressure and low profile styling

found them here:

LINK

my tire:

225/45ZR17 360-A-A W 94 BW $114.99

$459.96 for 4, good price?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I have a set of Yokohama (I think they are YK420). I paid about $90 each. I got the 255/50-16 for a little extra thickness than the original Michelin Pilots (205/55-16) I had. They've been on now for about a year and a half. Great ride, no complaints on traction, and I like the look of them. Haven't tested them in snow.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Tire test

This month's Car & Driver contains a performance tire test article. They used Tire Rack's BMWs on their own test track.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I returned my PZero Nero's because they tramiline real bad on rutted or grooved freeways. If your roads are smooth and don't have rain grooves you'll be OK. They handled really well and were quite. I replaced them after a week with Bridgestone RE750 and they didn't handle quite as well but still good, were quite, had a lot longer thread wear rating and didn't tramline. I paid $150/tire for the Pirelli OTD, about $165 for the Bridgestone.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 12-01-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:08 AM

2005 C230 SS, 2000 1.8t Passat, Crown Vic with lights on roof
very happy with our Pirelli PZero Nero's on our C230....
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for W204 Facelift
Winter tyres

which winter tyres you use-or advice- for Sport suspansion (EVO pack ) C instead of summer sport tyres 17'' Michelin .....
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Try using the search option. It will yield more results . And use the spelling TIRES since most of the members will be from U.S. Best of luck... .and remember.. always search first and exhaust that precious resource before you post a thread.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
################################################## ##

All season tires for cars and minivans

Our comprehensive 36-tire report includes top performers for what--and how--you drive.

These mass-market tires, typically in S (112 mph) and T (118 mph) speed ratings, are good choices for many family cars and minivans, and even for light duty SUVs and pickups.

Our performance tests for braking, handling, and traction put some of this year's least expensive models near the top of the Ratings. Whichever tires you buy, knowing how they perform will make a smart choice easier. Here's what to think about--and how to keep your tires as safe as possible:

For many cars. Most car-tire buyers want long tread life and all-weather traction at a reasonable price. Those preferences help explain why the all-season car tires we focus on in this report are the best-selling replacements. Most are designed to perform reasonably well under a variety of conditions, with an emphasis on longevity.

Though most all-season tires are a compromise, this broad category includes many with strengths in certain areas. You'll also find some notable differences in price and tread-wear warranty; the tires we tested range from $33 models with 40,000- to 50,000-mile warranties to $85 models covered for up to 100,000 miles. Still other types of car tires are geared for specific driving needs. Choices include:

Performance tires. These usually sacrifice ride and winter performance for ultimate grip. A good choice for sporty cars, they tend to have stickier tread and firmer sidewalls that help them stop shorter and hang on longer during hard cornering. They also tend to be expensive (about $70 to $120).

Winter tires. These offer the best traction on snow and ice, and are best for snowy areas. But their tread isn't designed for longevity--a key reason these tires should be removed when the snow season ends. Winter tires should be mounted on all four wheels for safe handling. Most cost from $60 to $100.

You'll find high-scoring, previously tested models among those types in the Ratings.

For SUVs and pickups. All-terrain and all-season tires are the most common for these vehicles. All-terrain tires have a more aggressive tread for off-pavement grip, while all-seasons are geared more toward ride comfort and on-road use. Since SUVs remain mostly on the road, all-terrain tires are moving toward less aggressive tread for better ride and handling on pavement. The Ratings include both, usually priced from about $50 to $80.

The right specs. You'll usually find the proper size on the doorjamb or inside the glovebox or fuel-filler door. Be sure new tires are the same size with the same speed and load ratings (see How to read a tire). While most car owners have a choice of replacement tires, automakers may advise SUV owners to stick with the tire type originally on their vehicle; switching can adversely affect handling.

The right pressure. Low air pressure has figured prominently in the debate over Firestone tire failures. Underinflated tires tend to flex excessively, which can cause overheating and lead to failure, along with poor handling and reduced fuel economy.

A 10° F drop in outside temperature lowers a tire's pressure by about 1 pound per square inch (psi). Tires also tend to leak air over time. See Tire pressure air loss, our one-year evaluation observing air loss in 108 tires. Pressure loss averaged 6.6 psi, but some models lost much more than others did.

Check air pressure monthly, when tires are cold. And follow the vehicle manufacturer's inflation recommendations in the owner's manual, on the door jamb, or inside the fuel-filler door. Other safety steps:

Stay within the weight capacity listed in your vehicle owner's manual. Overloading makes the tires flex more and run hotter, increasing the risk of a failure.

Examine tires often and replace any that have cuts, bubbles, or bulges, which could mean a failure is imminent.

Check for uneven wear, which may mean poor alignment, brakes, or shock absorbers. And replace any tire with tread approaching 1/16-inch deep.

Car tires

Like most all-season tires, those we tested fall into three groups, based largely on their tread-wear warranties. "Premium" tires are covered for 80,000 to 100,000 miles, "midline" for 60,000 to 70,000 miles, and "economy" for 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Pricing doesn't always follow that tidy hierarchy, however. Nor do a tire's braking, handling, and traction performance; several of the economy tires we tested for this report did nearly as well overall as high-scoring premium and midline models, yet cost up to $40 less.

WHAT WE TESTED

We bought the newly tested premium and economy all-season car tires in size P195/70R14, which fits our 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier tire-test car and matches the midline models included from our 2000 report. But you can use our overall judgments for all three groups as a yardstick for other 14- and 15-inch sizes of the same models.

Most of these tires come with a maximum speed rating of S (112 mph) or T (118 mph); other speed ratings are detailed in How to read a tire. While such speeds may sound wildly unrealistic, tires with higher speed ratings tend to deliver better handling at normal highway speeds. As the Recommendations & notes in the Ratings detail, only one of three nonspeed-rated economy tires we tested--the Cooper Trendsetter SE--did reasonably well in both our wet- and dry-cornering tests.

RECOMMENDATIONS

Our tests revealed impressive performers in all three groups. Which you choose should depend on what kind of driving you do and how much you're willing to spend.

* For all-around driving, the premium Kelly Navigator Platinum TE , $55, and Yokohama Avid Touring, $50, performed impressively and offer a good warranty for less.

* If you value responsive handling, consider the economy Uniroyal Tiger Paw ASC, $33, which gripped tenaciously through our cornering tests. Also consider the midline Pirelli P400 Touring, $59, which was impressive and has a longer warranty.

* For snow-belt driving, a top choice is the midline BFGoodrich Control T/A M65, $50, a high-scoring model with excellent snow traction. The midline Kelly Navigator Gold, $63, is another fine choice, as is the economy Futura Euro-Metric, $35. But the Kelly sacrifices dry and wet cornering.

Whichever tires you choose, note that all tread-wear warranties are prorated; the more the tread is worn, the less the warranty is worth. Remember, too, that those warranties usually don't cover damage from potholes and other road hazards.

This is part of a ratings performance chart from top down.......

•1 Falken Ziex ZE 512 $60
•2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H $100
•3 Bridgestone Potenza RE950 $85
4 Michelin Pilot XGT H4 $85
5 Dunlop SP Sport A2 $65
•6 Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus $120
7 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons $75
8 Sumitomo Srixon 4 $65
9 Yokohama A550H $65
10 Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $70
11 Kelly Charger HR $75
12 Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE $70
13 Yokohama Avid H4 Note: Discontinued. $70
14 Toyo Proxes TPT $90
15 Goodyear Eagle LS $70
16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring HR $70
17 General Exclaim $75
18 Firestone Affinity LH30

Top scorers blend added grip with less noise. Some of the most comfortable and fuel-efficient tires scored lowest overall, however. And for both groups, price bore little relationship to performance.

The Ratings rank tires by overall performance within types. Our Quick Picks focus on value and specific driving needs, and include previously tested, high- scoring tires of other types.

QUICK PICKS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance all-season tires

Best for most; fine grip with comfort:

1 Falken $60 (sport)

2 Bridgestone $100 (touring)
The Falken (1) emphasizes braking and ride, the Bridgestone (2) handling.

If fuel mileage is a priority:

6 Michelin $120 (touring)
This model is among the lowest for rolling resistance, but it’s pricey.

If winter driving isn’t a factor, or you own a set of winter tires:

3 Bridgestone $85 (sport)
It offers the best three-season grip in this category.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good choices for other tires

All-season tires:

Kelly Navigator Platinum TE $75

Pirelli P400 Touring $60

Winter tires:

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 $120 (H-rated)

Kumho I’zen Stud KW-11 $55 (Q-rated)

SUV and pickup tires:

Toyo M410 Open Country Radial $90 (all-season)

Dayton Timberline A/T $65 (all-terrain)

################################################## ##
Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Help! A "Tear" in the Sidewall of My Tire...

I was getting ready to detail my car and I noticed a scratch on my front passenger side wheel. I then looked closer and noticed that there was a slight "tear" or cut in the sidewall of my tire. It tried to see if it was brittle or if it would open, but it stayed pretty much in place. I also checked the tire pressure, and it was exactly at the same pressure as when I had set it two weeks ago.

I'm running 235/35/19 Toyo Proxes T1-S on that tire and I heard that the sidewalls of 35 series tires are pretty damn thick and strong. It's not losing pressure and it doesn't seem that it's all that deep. Should I be concerned? Is there anything a tire shop can do to seal it up? Or is it something that I shouldn't worry too much about?

Attached are some pics.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES-mbprob.jpg   W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES-mbprob2.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 11:46 PM

C 230K Coupé
Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I have two friends with m3's who have had the same thing happen with their tiress and they stil have the same ones. Any clue how that happend> Quite a shame considering those SSR's are brand new...
Old 12-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

It's a good thing I have a 7.2MP camera... I was looking at a pic I took of my right wheel two days after I put them on, and was able to zoom in and see that this was there from the beginning. So I guess since I've put some miles and speed into these tires, then it's not that big of a problem...

Here is the zoomed in pic.
Attached Thumbnails W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES-mbprob3.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I have two friends with m3's who have had the same thing happen with their tiress and they stil have the same ones. Any clue how that happend> Quite a shame considering those SSR's are brand new...
cool, thanks... I have no idea how it happened. Maybe during the shipment or I must have hit some sort of road debris. There's no way I curbed them b/c I don't park next to curbs and if I do, I park faaaaar away...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
just watch it for now, check ur tire pressure like when u get home everynight, then just glance at it when u get out of the car, see if theres any changes,
Old 12-24-2005, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I wouldn't worry too much about that small tear. Just check your tire pressure every now and then. The lip in that picture looks like it has a small nick. If the tire sidewall damage ain't from curbing, then it could have been from rubbing, or maybe tires were installed improperly. You should see the sidewalls on my Nitto NT555. They've been rubbed smooth even after rolling and shaving the fenders. I need to have my rims polished soon and reduce the extreme negative offset.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
i wouldn't about the tire either since it's just a thin layer that was is torn.....i would be more devastated with the curbed wheel!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
That split is on the bead. I'd dump that tire and get a new one, today.

Might be a defect covered by your warranty.

From the damage on the rim, it looks to me like some road debris got flung at your wheel, and thumped the sidewall so hard it cracked.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:40 AM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Toss the tire. Sidewall damage cannot be repaired. If the tire rapidly fails to hold pressure, several things will happen: it will not be fun; it will not happen at a good time and it will not happen at a good place.

Replacing the tire puts you in control of these events.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:38 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
The damage appears to be minor. But remember these are high speed rated tires. So I guess the question is: how fast are you willing to go with a sidewall in this condition?

My advice: if you are only driving around town at low speed, you are probably safe to simply monitor the tire. If you are planning any high speed driving, that tire should be replaced.

On my car, I wouldn't want a questionable tire. I often use the high speed capability of the car.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Dump the tire... and get a new one. It's a damaged sidewall.... don't take chances. I just had to replace all my tires due to my damaged wheels..... just part of running low pro's..... sometimes you have to pay out the A$$. Best of luck pal...
Old 12-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 SS Kompressor
Originally Posted by wingless
Toss the tire. Sidewall damage cannot be repaired. If the tire rapidly fails to hold pressure, several things will happen: it will not be fun; it will not happen at a good time and it will not happen at a good place.

Replacing the tire puts you in control of these events.
That is a total bummer to damage your tire but just like the previous thread said that it is part of what we have to deal with when we are running the low pros tires. It is definetely too dangerous to continue to run your tires with the damage. Toss the tires and drop a few bucks to get the new one and you will be glad that you did...
Old 12-24-2005, 10:54 PM

dump the tire to be safe, and get a "road hazard" warranty on replacement...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 PM

Tire replacement question

After 20,000 miles, my 2005 203 needs new tires in the rear. but the fronts seem fine. does MB recommend replacing all four at the same time?

Anyone have recommendations for a good tire shop near in the bay area? Costco has the rears for $209 including install.

RP
Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 SS Kompressor
Originally Posted by dougpark714
After 20,000 miles, my 2005 203 needs new tires in the rear. but the fronts seem fine. does MB recommend replacing all four at the same time?

Anyone have recommendations for a good tire shop near in the bay area? Costco has the rears for $209 including install.

RP
I wouldn't change the front tires if they are within the safe limit. Replacing worn out rear tires definitely a must. I not sure what MB recommend but as they say if it is not broken then do not fix it.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 AM

$209.00 each for stock replacement... I'd shop around, I replaced all 4 tires on 0ur 2005 C230 with Pirelli Zero Nero's after cutting a rear tire (stock Michelin)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES