C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What Tires are the best?
Goodyear
5.92%
Toyo
7.89%
Michelin
39.44%
Continental
12.11%
Falken
7.04%
Pirelli
12.11%
Other
15.49%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BANNED
Originally Posted by wingless
That's the second crack I heard. The first was when the tire went flat.
Dag that looks nasty!!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Originally Posted by Moviela
As for the autobahn, you would not be driving 80mph at night. Some German would stop you and open a can of whupass on you for being stupid.
I am not sure I understand your point. Driving 80 at night is both routine and legal here. That is why many of us pay major money for Xenon lights. We do not have a night time speed limit (although neighboring Texas has a 65 mph limit at night).

Many parts of the Autobahn are now speed limited, but I am not aware of them changing that limit at night.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:11 AM

2004 C240 Sedan
Angry

Originally Posted by sirenebekim
I blew my back left tire going 80 down the interstate tonight at 12 am. The car kept perfectly straight as I came to a stop, as if there were no tire blown at all! What a amazing vehicle!

<snip>
Overall the experience was not that bad, as the tool box and full size spare that comes standard arrived to my rescue. I do have one question, does the ESP brake assistance play any part in keeping the vehicle straight during a blowout? What if this happened at autobahn speeds ?
You were pretty lucky, I must say.

I had a tire blow out on Christmas Day while I was heading back from Yosemite National Park (my friend who was visiting me had never been there and wanted to go). I was going only about 45 mph, but California SR-120 is windy and narrow (though I was on a straight-ish stretch) and it was pouring rain and pitch black outside, when I hit a rock near the shoulder of the road.

The car immediately pulled right (blew the right front tire), but also slowed down, so I was able to steer to the left and get the car off the road. About 15 minutes or so later in the rain, I had the spare on and continued home.

I took a quick look at the rim and tire that night, and the rim was clearly dented/scratched up, but I couldn't see any damage to the tire. When I looked at it in the morning, I could see a U-shaped hole blown in the tire.

I didn't notice the ESP kick in at the blowout, but then again, I was more focused on keeping the car out of the rock cut on my right side (which is in a rock slide area) and keeping my passenger safe. With the spare on though, the ESP did kick in for about half of the trip home.

I should have taken a picture of the rim and the tire before they were disposed of, but yours looks a lot more serious than mine was.

-- Joe
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
ON PROBATION

Any drama with a blow-out in the front is always worse than the drama with a blow-out in the rear -- for all of the obvious reasons....

Keep your cool, keep control of your vehicle, and steer-

Of course the good news is that he survived the mishap without any serious injury or death occurring - which always equals success in my book.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My wife had the right front tire (Conti CH95) blow going 65 with three other people in the car. She felt nothing. The only indication something was wrong was a "thumping" noise everyone heard and were looking around for the source! Car maintained complete control even as she pulled to the shoulder of the freeway after they decided their car was the noise source. No steering wheel shake or anything. If you want drama....I had a front tire deflate on a motorcylce going 70 in the rain producing a 'tank slapper' that scared the heck out of me.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Any drama with a blow-out in the front is always worse than the drama with a blow-out in the rear -- for all of the obvious reasons....

Keep your cool, keep control of your vehicle, and steer-
Youre going to have to state them. I think your wrong. A blow out in the rear usually results in loss of control. In the front it creates some drama, but the car remains controlable.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM
ON PROBATION

More weight in the front in a front-engine car. Front end loads under decceleration. Front end is directional control. If front end bites and g-forces aren't controlled and kept in alignment rear end can come out. Front ends usually have more active suspension than rear end. Dragging the rears is easier to control than door-stoppering in the front.....
Have had a few blowouts in the rear with nary a problem. Have had a couple of blowouts in the front with nary a problem -- but it was more of a heart-pounding experience. Had two blowouts simultaneously (front and rear) on one side of the car onetime...now that one was exciting!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
A good friend of mine and his dad got a high speed tire vlowout in a Porsche 944 many moons ago... the car promptly did a 180 and proceeding to head off the road while backwards. They were lucky to walk out of it with a lot of bruises. My friends dad got killed a few years later on a motorcycle accident.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Nola
A good friend of mine and his dad got a high speed tire vlowout in a Porsche 944 many moons ago... the car promptly did a 180 and proceeding to head off the road while backwards. They were lucky to walk out of it with a lot of bruises. My friends dad got killed a few years later on a motorcycle accident.
That was definately a rear wheel blowout.

Folks, its pretty freaking simple how this works...loosing one of the rear tires induces a skid, and you simply can't control this as easy as if one of the front's goes out. Period. You still have control over the direction of the car when you loose a front. Its not about the wieght distribution or which wheels steer the car, its physics.

THis has been proven and demonstrated on several automotive television shows. Ive even experienced it. I lost a rear tire due to a blow out several years ago going around a slight bend, the car promptly went into a slide, that only stopped in the gravel on the side of the road.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:28 AM

a toy
+1

That's the correct one.

Keep in mind that these cars have lower profile tires compared to most other cars. That means there is less of a difference in diameter between a properly inflated tire and a completely deflated one after a blowout. The smaller difference produces less drama when the pressure goes to zero.

Hence the wild blowout stories from SUV owners with 15" wheels and 28" overall diameter tires.

Originally Posted by Outland
That was definately a rear wheel blowout.

Folks, its pretty freaking simple how this works...loosing one of the rear tires induces a skid, and you simply can't control this as easy as if one of the front's goes out. Period. You still have control over the direction of the car when you loose a front. Its not about the wieght distribution or which wheels steer the car, its physics.

THis has been proven and demonstrated on several automotive television shows. Ive even experienced it. I lost a rear tire due to a blow out several years ago going around a slight bend, the car promptly went into a slide, that only stopped in the gravel on the side of the road.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 AM

M
Tire Hookups

Anyone get a better deal than tire rack?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Tirerack is god.

Purchase the tires through the vendor link so MBworld gets donated some cash to support the servers

http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/mbworld/index.html
Old 02-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Jkw

2004.5 C 230
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Tirerack is god.

Purchase the tires through the vendor link so MBworld gets donated some cash to support the servers

http://www.tirerack.com/affiliates/mbworld/index.html
Old 02-03-2006, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much does mount and balance typically cost?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe '04
The place I had my tires mounted charged $18.00/ tire + balancing.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Almost a Member!

C230, C2, C7, Leather
Tire

I just got a set of new tires (Pirelli) for the rear wheel. And last night I found a screw in one of the tire. I went to the dealer that I bought the tire. We took the tire out and it turned out that the screw did not gone completely throught the tire. There weren't any leak. We end up re-mount the tire without any repair. Any potential problem or issue down the road? Fortunately the screw went into the fattest part of the tire.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:34 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Did the screw go all the way to the tire cord, or just into the tread? If it just went into the outer tread, it should not be a problem.

If the screw went into the steel belts, you may have an issue with moisture getting inside, which could cause problems sometime in the future. You could try to seal it with a tiny bit of black silicone sealer.

Many tire manufacturers say that once a tire has been patched, it is no longer certified to its speed rating.

Performance tires are expensive (as you just discovered).
Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM

M37S
Talking Tire sizes...last confirmation to make sure

c230 amg kit sedan 2005 silver

i have brabus chrome replicas vi 19x9.5 rear 19x8.5 fronts (they are beautiful btw if anyone wanted to know..wow)

correct me if im wrong. Im looking to purchase my tires. I want to just confirm that I have the right tire size.

thanks guys

offset 35 for all 4

19x9.5 = 265/30/19

19x8.5 = 235/35/19

I am going to purchase the general tire exclaims from tirerack.com just needed verification. thanks.

I might need a 3mm - 5mm spacers on front wheels. I heard good and bad things about h&r (sometimes they need loctite I hear) 32 front ...35 rear

I will not be lowering my car. (staying stock height)

comments and answers much appreciated. and thank you in advance to helping me.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM

'14 CLA 45
i slowly start to understand why some ppl here get so pissed of all these multiple threads and tell one to STFF.

and if i'd purchase wheels, i'd ask the seller what tire sizes would go along with them for a c230 2006 or w/e it is you have.

but yes, the tire sizes you stated are correct. when you want to avoid any possible rubbing issue you'd go with 255 in the rear (but it would expose you lip a little more)
Old 03-23-2006, 04:59 PM

M37S
Cool

true, to a small extent, but people on the forum also need to calm the hell down as well, just like in real life. I searched, found these answers but wanted final confirmation from people with the same car. I am a moderator at a bodybuilding forum where thousands of people ask the same questions, but I dont disrespect or put them down, some are learning, some are new to the sport and/or forums all together, etc.

If someone ask the same question, I always answer the question (and if I dont want to answer it, I dont ....or just dont check the thread out because of possible duplicates)

anyways, 255, interesting....this is the first time I have purchased wheels for my new car. I just installed the cable harness for my ipod (checked out another great thread in here) As I stated above, I am not going to lower my car at all, so would I still need to run 255? I heard 265 is the recommended but want the best setup possible (no rubbing, no type of collision possible)

Thank you for your response either way. Have a good one. Any more help would be wonderful.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM

'14 CLA 45
good start, you seeing what im getting at. just another tipp: if you know the dimension but just want a confirmation you should pm a sponsor or someone really activ on this board (like frankw) rather than starting a new thread

i wont make you read all the pages of the group-buy thread, but you would have found all the answers to your questions there.

with 255 in the rear, you wont have any rubbing issues at all with 3 adults in the back (and actually another one in the trunk - i tried it myself) as long as you dont lower the car. IF you want to lower it - you HAVE to go with 255

with 265 you should be good with 2 adults in the back. more than that probably is going to get you in trouble. and of course any lowering possible.

the 265 gives you just a little more protection to the lip and the "wider tire look". but in the end, when you get too close to a curb, you are going to mess up your wheels, no matter if you are running 255's or 265
Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 PM

M37S
thanks! 265 it is for me. thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i refuse to answer these questions!!!!...

just kidding.

basically kickR has already explained what I've informed him. post some pics when you get the wheels on the car.

regarding the spacers. put it on and test it out first. Most likely you would need a 3mm spacer for the front. The rear will be okay.

If the rear rubs you're rubbing on the plastic tabs from the rear bumper molding sticking out inside the bumper and also the part of the wheel well carpet that's sticking out. Simply shave and cut the tab and the carpet and you are set.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:39 PM

2006 C230WZ
yup 265 with a small amount of grinding on the rear and you will be golden
Old 03-24-2006, 08:17 PM

M37S
Unhappy

thank you guys, I just got my rims in..I need to contact the company back. one came in BENT. im pretty upset but thats life apparently. They said call back monday to get a replacement. We will see how that goes.

CM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES