C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Grill black-out on Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Grill black-out on Coupe

Guys, I remember someone did this on their coupe.

I think it was done with some "masking tape". What is that masking tape, where do I get it and what is the procedure.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
if i remember correctly.... someone said "black out tape" and they got it from autozone.... i have no idea what the procedure is... i assumed you just tape it on in a uniform fashion....
Old 05-09-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Most auto stores carry it, just got a roll at pep boys for my new C320. It goes on easy, trim with knife and if you do not like it, just peel off. After 1.5 yrs on my C230 still look like new, it is flat black and does not look great on a black car.
Tom
Old 05-10-2003, 12:07 AM

Thanks guys, I wonder how it looks on a silver
Old 05-10-2003, 09:51 AM

BMW 318iS
I really like the black grille look on euro cars, but I feel that it lends itself more so to darker colours..

On my bimmer I originally used black tape to test it out... then I decided I liked it so i painted them black!

I used etch primer, primer and then five coats of satin black spray paint to black out the grilles!

Heres a pic! It took me a whole afternoon to carry out, should be similar for a benz!

black grilles

If anyone wants a more detailed process of how I done it I would be more than happy to share
Old 05-10-2003, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Carbon Fiber!

I've seen another forum members car w/ a carbon fiber grill, and let me tell you that it looked AWESOME! He has a red coupe and it looked really good. I think he had it custom made though. Either way it think that is the "cleaner" way to go.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:51 PM

Looks good Aaron,

what was the orignal colour of the grille?

Please do share the whole process

Originally posted by Aaron318iS
I really like the black grille look on euro cars, but I feel that it lends itself more so to darker colours..

On my bimmer I originally used black tape to test it out... then I decided I liked it so i painted them black!

I used etch primer, primer and then five coats of satin black spray paint to black out the grilles!

Heres a pic! It took me a whole afternoon to carry out, should be similar for a benz!

black grilles

If anyone wants a more detailed process of how I done it I would be more than happy to share
Old 05-10-2003, 08:11 PM

a Merc
Yeah, please share us the process, I'd like to paint my grill black too...
Old 05-11-2003, 06:43 AM

BMW 318iS
VoyagerDude - the original colour for BMW grilles is chrome finish.

Ok, heres what I done.. just take it as an idea what to do, not as bible, as i will take NO responsibility if you screw up your grille!

You Will Need:
- 6 sheets of 360 grit sand paper
- 6 sheets of 400 grit sand paper
- 1 can of etch primer
- 1 to 2 cans of paint primer
- 2 cans of black paint
- 2 cans of clear coat
- grease and wax remover (or any other sort of similar cleaning agent)
- rags

1. Remove grille from nose panel (no idea for a w203.. on an E36 you just punch them out!)

2. Clean the surface of the grille to remove any dirt, tar or bug spots, i used grease and wax remover on a rag

3. Now that the grille is clean, take to the chrome finish with 400 grit sand paper.
Cut the sand paper into smaller squares and do not use excessive force.
All you need to do is to remove the shine from the chrome, once it is a dull silver it is ready for the next step...

4. Using a pressure packed can of etch primer, lightly dust the grill with a few coats.
Light applications of etch primer will prevent paint runs.
It may take 2 - 3 coats to get full etch primer coverage.

5. Allow the etch primer to dry (may vary between paint brands, I waited 1 hour)

6. Lightly scuff the etch primered surface with 360 grit sand paper, do not remove to much, just a light sand!

7. Clean grille again with grease and wax remover to reomve any primer dust etc.

8. Add paint primer to the grille. Lightly spray it on to avoid potential paint runs.

I sprayed 3 coats of primer on my grilles, allowing 30 minutes between each coat to dry.

To cover a larger area you may need up to 5 coats of primer for sufficient coverage.
Now wait for atleast 3 hours for the primer to fully dry.

9. Once the primer is dry, lightly sand it with 400 grit sand paper. Once again, only sand lightly to remove the gloss from the primer.

10. Wipe grille down with wax and grease remover to remove any built up dust or dirt.

11. Using a presure pack can of satin, flat or gloss black (your choice if you want a dull or gloss finish) lightly apply at least 5 coats of paint.

Once again, do not apply to much paint, waiting at least 20 minutes between each coat.

12. Give the paint at least 1 - 2hours to fully dry, then using a pressure pack can apply the clear coat to protect the paint.

Apply 3 or more light coats of clear until the paint is sufficiently covered.
Allow to dry for another 1 - 2hours

13. Put the grille back in, stand back and admire your new tough look!

Tips
- Only apply light coats of primers, paints and clear coats.. no need to pack it on in the one coat!

- These products are available from most hardware stores or automotive paint supply shops.

- Drying times will always vary, read the back of the can to determine how much time is need for the paint to fully dry.

- This is what i used on my car, for a larger grille like on a C class you may need a larger amount of material.

Well there you have it, if you have any other questions I will do my best to answer them!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks man!