C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Would you trade your '05 for an '02?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c230, '09 c300, '03 Durango
Would you trade your '05 for an '02?

I'm seriously considering trading my '05 c230 for this '02 AMG c32.

This car has 82k miles and looks pretty clean. The 3.2 Kompressor is the main reason why. Any one have experience with this engine? Does it pull pretty hard?

you guys think it would be worth it to trade down 3 years for a car like this?

http://modules04.dealercarsearch.com...spx?id=1086807
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...a panty dropper...
The 02 C32 had problems with the radiator and such, the 03 and 04 models if you can find them are better to go with. Personally I wouldnt trade in for a C32. Try and find a C55 if you like the W203 look or E55 for the powerhouse V8 Kompressor.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 AM
FBG

2011 C63
trading down

To caveat my response I have no experience with that motor so take it for what it's worth. But, I would say that 82,000 miles for Hawaii is really high and I would be leary because the maintenance costs could be potentially very high. If it had comprehensive maintenance records and as a toy to mess with maybe?. I would be careful trading in for a car that is almost 10 years old. Good luck and and I am sure that you will get better responses from guy's that have a good knowledge of the car.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 AM

C240
IMHO trading down just doesn't make sense whatever the car is.. Despite the greatness of c32, the older age tends to bring more problems even though the car is clean and so on..
Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
You'll love the engine compared to what you have now. I had a C230 prior to my C32 and woulds never trade back I bought a used 2002 C32 that was well maintained and have had no problems that I wouldn't have had with any W203 so its up to you but performance wise they are night and day. Plus its cheaper and easier to get more hp that any of the 55 models if that matters to you...and the speed bug will get you I'm sure. Lol. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I think it depends on the condition and mileage on your car, combined with what kind of history you have about the C32. If it has full maintenance records, maybe. Has it had one owner, or multiples, that would be of interest, as well as if it has been involved in a collision. Of course it depends on your current ride as well -- been wrecked, high-ish mileage, unknown maintenance history before you bought it? Those would all weight in.

Couple of things I noticed right off that would drive me nuts, but they are cosmetic and easy to take care of. 1) Missing star on the trunk and 2) the sagging headliner in the rear, 3) the fogged headlights. Both of those would make me look closer at the maintenance history, however, it could simply be a car that was bought and then just driven for 82K miles.

Personally, I don't like the RENNTech badging on the trunk or the calipers, but it would be interesting to know what all has been done to the car. I have no idea what they offered for a C32, but I am sure someone here does.

EDIT: A quick search and the RENNTech C32 is discussed some HERE. If this one has all the engine and brake mods, it could be a pretty decent find.

You could probably take the VIN and call RENNTech and find out what all it had done. If it has had the full package done (apparently they did camshafts and more), it might truly be a pretty interesting car to own. Of course it might have been run hard too.

Definitely let everyone know what you decide...and what you find out about it.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Thank you guys for all of the info! I'll go take a look at it and I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Are you sure this is an 02? They didn't come with supercharger builders plaques in 2002 as far as I know.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 PM

True, they started that somewhere in the '02, '03 range, I believe. However, I looked at two on eBay just for kicks, and they both had the flat square where the plate goes. I can't tell if this one has a plate or just the square (but couldn't on eBay either).
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i have an 02 C32. 2nd owner. bought with about 26k back in 03 and i'm at around 98 or 99k right now.

regarding the fogged lights...they are normal...those are the OEM xenons for that model yr. if you want to get the clear bixenons, they're like 750 bucks USED.

i also have a flat plate/square....no plaque

the lack of a badge on the back is definitely weird

just because the car has renntech badges doesn't mean it has renntech mods. the lack of a rear MB emblem makes me suspicious. the renntech c32 link that someone posted showed a car with somewhat normal renntech mods (pulley + ECU) for people going that route... but i rarely see someone doing cams. they simply don't make very much power in the c32....10whp at most with all other mods done. the pulley that renntech uses makes similar power as the evosport/eurocharged/kleemann 178. there are much more powerful options including the eurocharged 181 and 185mm pulleys.

looks like it has a stock intake too.

oh, and my 02 radiator is fine. no problems, though this is something that does need to be looked at when looking at 02s.

to the OP, if you're interested in the car, get a full history of all the work done on the car. things to look for: intercooler pump replacements, supercharger replacement (if it has had one), radiator replacement, driver and passenger seat modules, and tranny glycol tests (in case a bad radiator was suspected).

intercooler pump replacements would be normal (~25k-30k miles on the OEM pump). the other stuff is just things to watch for.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Assuming we try to move UP in life man, look for a C55.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel
regarding the fogged lights...they are normal...those are the OEM xenons for that model yr.

i also have a flat plate/square....no plaque
Yes, the frosty headlights are normal, however it looks like those are the frosty lenses that have had the plastic fogged with age. Mine on my Coupe did that, and it is just ugly, although easy to have refinished. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the factory frosted Xenons still came with headlight washers, which this car doesn't have.

the lack of a badge on the back is definitely weird
Yeah, it still has the three holes in it, so I'd guess it just got popped off. Easy to replace, but doesn't indicate care.

just because the car has renntech badges doesn't mean it has renntech mods. the lack of a rear MB emblem makes me suspicious. the renntech c32 link that someone posted showed a car with somewhat normal renntech mods (pulley + ECU) for people going that route... but i rarely see someone doing cams. they simply don't make very much power in the c32....10whp at most with all other mods done. the pulley that renntech uses makes similar power as the evosport/eurocharged/kleemann 178. there are much more powerful options including the eurocharged 181 and 185mm pulleys.
Exactly, the RENNTech badge does not mean much, however, it does also have the RENNTech emblems on the brakes and they do not look like C32 rear brakes. One of the packages included changing out the brakes. I have no clue what he is looking at, but there are hints that it might be more than just a badge stuck on it. If he is interested, definitely worth a call to RENNTech.

oh, and my 02 radiator is fine. no problems, though this is something that does need to be looked at when looking at 02s.

to the OP, if you're interested in the car, get a full history of all the work done on the car. things to look for: intercooler pump replacements, supercharger replacement (if it has had one), radiator replacement, driver and passenger seat modules, and tranny glycol tests (in case a bad radiator was suspected).

intercooler pump replacements would be normal (~25k-30k miles on the OEM pump). the other stuff is just things to watch for.
Awesome advice, if the service records are available. I am curious what turns out on this car.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
No, there's something fishy about that car. The fitment of the driver's headlight, hood and bumper on that side scream poor repair job.

Mike is right - the brakes on the rear are not stock C32 brakes.

Dash is coming apart on passenger side visible when door is open.

This 02 does not seem to be in great shape, I would NEVER consider it.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
This 02 does not seem to be in great shape, I would NEVER consider it.
Matt, I tend to agree with you. I suspect it has been wrecked, and probably run hard. If I wanted a C32 I would look for one in better shape. However, if I wanted the novelty of the renntech car -- IF it is truely one that got their full package -- and wanted it as a hobby car, understanding that it would take work to make it right, in that case, the choices may be much more limited.

But as a daily driver, non-hobby car, you are right!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
can't believe i missed that gap. wow. yah that doesnt look good

MW_ATL, not sure how familiar you are with the renntech setups, but IMO, it isn't a complete renntech car without those sick Renntech Monolite Rims!...and yah, actually, this car posted doesn't have them.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel
can't believe i missed that gap. wow. yah that doesnt look good

MW_ATL, not sure how familiar you are with the renntech setups, but IMO, it isn't a complete renntech car without those sick Renntech Monolite Rims!...and yah, actually, this car posted doesn't have them.
Yep, I missed that gap until Matt pointed it out. I knew something wasn't right, but hadn't looked that close.

Not familiar with what was available from RENNTech at all, really, other than what I learned in a quick search the other night. I am still shaking my head at the idea that some people took a perfectly good C32 and then sent it off for 12K+ in work (assuming the post I read that said that was about what a full work-up would have been was accurate).
Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 PM

Yup you guys have better eyes than I do! thanks for the input, I was seriously going down there today, it's a good thing I looked back in on this thread!

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MW_ATL
Yep, I missed that gap until Matt pointed it out. I knew something wasn't right, but hadn't looked that close.

Not familiar with what was available from RENNTech at all, really, other than what I learned in a quick search the other night. I am still shaking my head at the idea that some people took a perfectly good C32 and then sent it off for 12K+ in work (assuming the post I read that said that was about what a full work-up would have been was accurate).
yah. don't get me wrong, Renntech makes some good stuff, but they charge up the wazoo. i guarantee my car car is quicker than a full renntech car in terms of performance mods (ecu + tune + cams +rims) and it cost me no where near 12k. or even half that. maybe a 4th or a 5th of that. it's just a brand.

the rims, though....those are legit haha. i really wanna a set but they are waaaay out of my budget right now