C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Installing Upsolute software in my C230K sometime this week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2002 | 06:03 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
Installing Upsolute software in my C230K sometime this week

Hi everybody! I'm gonna do it. And I'm gonna dyno the car before AND after so we can all see what this software can do for us

Has anyone installed aftermarket pulleys in their C230K yet? I'd like to know as I plan on doing this as well

This car is a TOTAL blast to drive! After it's got a little more juice it'll be perfect

Larry
Old 02-17-2002 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's great, I haven't seen any dynos for the manual with Upsolute. My 6 spd un-enhanced C230K dynoed at 167.9 hp and 178.5 ft. lbs. of torque. I feel the other way, the pulley will be my first mod. Mark Cummings is working on a group buy and his test pulley is on order so I expect something will happen in the next few weeks. As for a forum member that has done any pulley kit, that would be RennCpe with his the RennTech pulley. Right now because it's early, some tuners have priced their pullies really high. My guess is this is to limit sales until it's better tested. For example, RennTech gets about $1,500 for their pulley. In contrast ASP Racing gets $99 list price for their Eaton M90 pullies (the coupe has the teenie weenie Eaton M45 that ricers put in their Hondas).
Old 02-17-2002 | 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
At least now I have something to go on. Hopefully my car will be close to the numbers you got. I am certainly interested in any group buy for a reliable pulley setup. Do you know how many pulleys will be included in this particular setup? Just how many pulleys can we replace?

I won't be spending $1,500 on any pulley! I do, however, have a figure in mind as to how much I'd be willing to part with to gain a bigger increase in torque I won't reveal that here though...

People seem to think they can pull 200 rear wheel horsepower outta this baby. I'm hoping they're right

Larry
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:23 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Pulleys and Chips

There has been allot written about chipping the C230 K (203). Several key facts are sometimes misrepresented. One is that the C230K uses ME it does not it uses a Sim 4 unit. The box is sealed the older units had small metal tabs that could be bent to remove the cover that is not the case with the Sim 4 unit. The bleed valve does not open under full throttle it does release pressure when you let off the throttle to help the engine slow down.

The amount of HP gain that will be reached by chipping the car alone with out fuel settings adjustment will not reach 30 HP it will not reach 20 HP the max we can expect from a chip modification will be in the 8-10 HP range. I have not seen a Dyno that has even produced a 8 hp gain yet over stock HP ratings.

There has also been lots of posts about pulley kits. To my knowledge there is only one kit that duplicates the original Mercedes parts with the exception of the size of the pulleys guess what it’s the most expensive. Then there is a kit that is almost to the Mercedes spec part its cheaper go figure. Then there is the suggestion that you can simply put a tiny pulley on the supercharger it’s self with out any ill affects on belt wear and slippage or a premature death of the belt tensioner.

We have only installed one kit (Renntech) on three different C230k’s so far and the results have fluctuated with each one which is to be expected. But we have recorded 224 hp and 250 ft/lbs torque.

Randy
Old 02-18-2002 | 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
Re: Pulleys and Chips

Originally posted by renncpe
The amount of HP gain that will be reached by chipping the car alone with out fuel settings adjustment will not reach 30 HP it will not reach 20 HP the max we can expect from a chip modification will be in the 8-10 HP range. I have not seen a Dyno that has even produced a 8 hp gain yet over stock HP ratings.

Randy

Randy, how do I go about modifying the fuel settings once the new software is in? Who can perform such a modification, and what has to be done to achieve the new setting?
Old 02-18-2002 | 04:55 PM

w203 c230K 2002
goodkat

You can have the Mercedes dealer change the settings for fuel and timeing. There are in normal settings that come with your car and can be set by the dealship (DAS) computer.It should not cost more than 30 min labor to have this done. You do not have to chip the car to change these settings. The gains are mininal but they are gains 3-5 HP.

Randy
Old 02-18-2002 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The goal of the pulley kit is make the supercharger spin faster and create more boost. The simplest and most commonly used on other Eaton superchargers is to put smaller diameter pulley and a corresponding belt change if needed. To my knowledge two people have done this Benzy230 and Dynosports. The downside is that the factory pulley is pressed on and has to be cut off and that you are limited on how small the pulley can be before you compromise belt life. These solutions usually claim less HP gains because of their limitations. The second approach is to make the crankshaft pulley bigger and keep the supercharger pulley the same size. The crankshaft pulley has a rubber isolation damper to cut down on belt line vibration. As far as I know, as RennCpe says, RennTech maintains the same specs as MB by providing this damper. Also I would imagine that the Carlson pulley, if it was available in the U.S. would have the damper as they allegedly put a ring on the factory pulley to make it bigger, a clever, low cost idea but nobody knows the long term dependability of this setup. Kleemann which is the current price leader does not do this as the pulley is cut from a single block of metal. They claim that the belt vibrations are negligible and doesn't warrant the additional manufacturing complexities. Also they provide an alternator pulley to compensate for the larger crankshaft pulley and others don't. They also provide cooler spark plugs because the excess boost causes more heat and increases the likelyhood of pre-detination.

Is there a right answer? I think everyone has their opinion as to what's best. I believe in the show me approach. I have not seen verifiable results on any pulley kit except what RennCpe has produced. There are still some people testing their pulley kits so I'm still waiting to see what happens. If you know anyone in Texas with a coupe that wants to volunteer to have their vehicle's pullies measured we can get ASP Racing to make them and they are much cheaper as I've stated before.
Old 02-20-2002 | 12:53 PM

whatsup guys! haha.....i bet you all thought I fell off the face of the earth!
Old 02-27-2002 | 04:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thumbs up KLEEMANN C230 Kompressor Pulley Dyno

Here you go: