C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

something blew up under the hood - maybe a/c maybe scharger (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Angry something blew up under the hood - maybe a/c maybe scharger (long)

Sounds like something finally broke

Right at 1000 miles. Go figure.

Driving along in 4th at around 45 mph, windows up air on enjoying a beautiful 75 degree day drive. Then the air cuts out and all of a sudden it starts getting warmer in the cabin.

I look down, and the AIR OFF switch is lit up. I think, huh, maybe faulty electronics, so I push it, air starts blowing cold air again. I get to a light after about 1 mile and stop at a red. Air is out again. But this time, the light doesn't come on. Interesting, I take the turn, and as I'm looking back in the rear-view mirror I'm leaving behind a HUGE white cloud of smoke. WTF?!

So I pull over, and something is spraying inside the engine compartment. Sweet smelling, so I think coolant. But engine temp never went above 85 degrees. I stil had 30 miles to drive home and temp never increased - so that's not likely.

I turn off the air and start driving again thinkign the A/C is blown. I start driving, accelerate to about 5k rpm and I hear a high-pressure spraying sound. Sure enough, smell and smoke again. This time, the belts start slipping (I can hear it) idiot lights start going off on the dash like it's christmas at the Grizwald's and the car stalls. Off to the side again.

This time, I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Everything seems fine, fluids ok, temp ok, car starts - reluctantly because of the slipping belts - and I go easy driving home. No problems again for another 10 miles, then when accelerating to get around a bafoon, the RPM's were fairly high, and the spray sound again. I slow down, it goes away.

Rest of the way home - everything is fine. When I get home, I pop the hood and wrapped a piece of paper towel around a long stick and probed around the flat parts under the engine that caught any sort of fluid. The fluid looks dark gray. Very oily - I sure as hell hope the supercharger isn't leaking this crap. Oh well, either way it's off for a free loaner and a wait for replacement parts. Stay tuned for updates as I find out what this was. Perhaps all of our 'cruncy' pedal feel cars have this issue waiting to pounce.

Peet
Old 06-15-2003, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ow, that sucks.

Best of luck at the dealership. I hope they get it whipped back into shape quickly (unless they give you an E-Class loaner or something ).
Old 06-15-2003, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Bummer dude

Chalk another one up for the reliability statistics...

The fluid colour is puzzling, but it was likely coolant as you suggested.

When a car breaks down like that (especially a new, expensive one) I'd demand a detailed explanation as to what happened. If they know what failed but not why, I'd be worried.

Funny, I never think twice before driving my 15 year old orphaned French car with 190,000 miles anywhere and I mean anywhere. I've learned its foibles (which are few) and I'd drive it across the country tomorrow. I got back from a 2000+ km road trip in it a month ago. No worries.

That's why I think you should be told what caused this failure. It'd be hard to trust the car if you don't know...

Warranties are nice if you have a service vehicle following you at all times Reliability is better, though

Good luck
Old 06-15-2003, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
It sounds related to the AC system. When you are out of freon, or whatever they use now, the EC or AC off light will come on, and that is what happened to you. But you seem to have other problems as well, unless that stuff spraying out all over caused the other problems. If it's spraying out that much, I would expect it to run out sooner than that. Hope the dealer can figure it out.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I can't wait to find out what went wrong. I have the vibro-clutch pedal and just got back from a weekend road trip. I used the AC quite a bit on the highway. No problems.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Why didn't you call roadside assistance at any time?

Erik
Old 06-16-2003, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
First off you should never drive a smoking stalling vehicle 30 miles especially when you have road side assistance and it will cost you nothing. Second it seems your AC system sprung a leak and then you enhanced the problem and may have coused more by stupidly driving for another 30 miles as well as reving to almost redline. I hope there is no major damage and I hope they still allow your warranty to remain because what you did is considered a pretty dumb move in any manufacturers eyes and they have the right to void a warranty for neglect. Good luck and hopefully it was just a seal or line that burst in the AC system that can be easily fixed. Otherwise you could have screwed the compressor as well as whatever else is on the belt, which in a 1.8L is everything.....
Old 06-16-2003, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mctwin2kman
First off you should never drive a smoking stalling vehicle 30 miles especially when you have road side assistance and it will cost you nothing. Second it seems your AC system sprung a leak and then you enhanced the problem and may have coused more by stupidly driving for another 30 miles as well as reving to almost redline. I hope there is no major damage and I hope they still allow your warranty to remain because what you did is considered a pretty dumb move in any manufacturers eyes and they have the right to void a warranty for neglect. Good luck and hopefully it was just a seal or line that burst in the AC system that can be easily fixed. Otherwise you could have screwed the compressor as well as whatever else is on the belt, which in a 1.8L is everything.....
That was my question...why drive, call and get a tow...this way it cannot be your fault.

Erik
Old 06-16-2003, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
1) didn't call tow truck because (not a multiple choice, but all of the below):

a) It was Sunday (and father's day at that)
b) on a good day it takes them 2 hours
c) had two kids with me
d) it was only an air conditioner and once it was shut off was mainly ok
e) I was in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking)

2) it seems that the compressor (a/c) blew. The oil was likely from the condeser and all will likely be ok. Had I found transmission fluid, or crank case oil, or engine oil anywhere on the ground or all over the engine - that would have been it. But that wasn't the case.

3) don't go around calling someone's actions stupid. Not cool! I assessed the situation. Especially since I had my kids with me, I couldn't get a tow truck - I've never seen a hooker that can hold me, 2 kid seats, 2 kids and still tow a car.

Keep in mind, that the engine was not over heated. The stalling was caused by slipping belts - as soon as that cooled off and the vapor evaporated the car turned over.

P
Old 06-16-2003, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There was no mention of others in the car. I assumed it was only you so I guess you are correct in getting the kids home. So sorry about that remark, I will just bite my toungue next time. Maybe I was thinking of me or my wife, we both have cell's on us at all times so a call to come get the other one or meet in this case would have happened. Actually a co-worker of mine had the same thing happen to his wifes car on Friday of last week. AC line blew out and a funny oil on the garage flow. This of course is the oil that coats the AC lines. But it could have been worse or the compressor(AC) could have siezed and left you stranded with a broken belt and possibly engine damage from overheating. My wife almost cracked the block one night because she kept driving after the belt broke to the water pump, not on a car we have now but a few years ago, lets just say that luckily no damage was done and when she turned the engine off at home I hand spun the pump because the temp gauge would go no higher....
Old 06-16-2003, 04:47 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Originally posted by peet
1) didn't call tow truck because (not a multiple choice, but all of the below):

a) It was Sunday (and father's day at that)
b) on a good day it takes them 2 hours
c) had two kids with me
d) it was only an air conditioner and once it was shut off was mainly ok
e) I was in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking)

2) it seems that the compressor (a/c) blew. The oil was likely from the condeser and all will likely be ok. Had I found transmission fluid, or crank case oil, or engine oil anywhere on the ground or all over the engine - that would have been it. But that wasn't the case.

3) don't go around calling someone's actions stupid. Not cool! I assessed the situation. Especially since I had my kids with me, I couldn't get a tow truck - I've never seen a hooker that can hold me, 2 kid seats, 2 kids and still tow a car.

Keep in mind, that the engine was not over heated. The stalling was caused by slipping belts - as soon as that cooled off and the vapor evaporated the car turned over.

P
peet dont pay attention to the negative comments. This really sux esp with kids in the car, but i'm glad everyone is okay. if i were u i'd try to get MB to buy back the car and raise hell, sounds like a lemon and i wouldnt even want them to fix it
Old 06-16-2003, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Alrightee folks. This now becomes an official request for comments thread (TM).

I just spoke with the service advisor. The A/C compressor 'imploded' (their term). Best part - there is not a single replacement compressor in the US nor Germany. They are estimating 4 weeks for a replacement.

The car has literally 1003 miles on it. How can I get them to replace the car? What tack should I be taking?

Thanks all for the 'forum hug'

Peet
Old 06-16-2003, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I can't believe there's no replacement part available -- that's somewhat shocking... I mean, it is a pretty much major mainstream part...I know you feel really angry, but I don't think they'll replace the car. The best you might do is insist they give you a loaner (while yours is still in your driveway) until the part comes in. Sorry to hear about it, and good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:03 PM

2002 C320
dame that sux... I hope u got ur prob fix SOON!.. and hmm.. hehe good luck on they replace the car.. tell us how it goes!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alrightee folks. This now becomes an official request for comments thread (TM).

I just spoke with the service advisor. The A/C compressor 'imploded' (their term). Best part - there is not a single replacement compressor in the US nor Germany. They are estimating 4 weeks for a replacement.

The car has literally 1003 miles on it. How can I get them to replace the car? What tack should I be taking?

Thanks all for the 'forum hug'

Peet
Lol, reading your sig...it says"heated" and on the next line, seats....you might want to leave the heated part alone, cause thats what it will be like for a while. Actually, all kidding aside, a lemon case will take around 6months-1year, so enjoy the 4 week loaner and hope everything goes alright.

Erik
Old 06-16-2003, 09:35 PM

FedEx a letter to whomever is the head of MB USA. He won't read it, but someone who matters will. Don't just mail the letter, send it priority overnight and signature required. That $15 will get you attention a regular envelope won't. Detail your experiences with the car and explain your situation. Also explain that it is unacceptable and you want the car replaced if it cannot be fixed within a week or so. Or, let them know you're ok with them pulling a part out of a car and sidelining THAT car until the part comes in. Also, talk directly to the GM of the dealership and tell him you want to speak to the regional rep directly and personally. Be firm but polite and insist that four weeks without your car when it has 1k miles on it is utterly unacceptable loaner or no.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
I was actually going to call the district manager to find out what they could do. I'm not crazy about spending the hottest Chicago month without A/C or with a loaner.

There's more to the story than meets the eye too... In August of last year I purchased a C230k coupe. Although the car overall was very nice, the transmission sucked. Also (nit pick, I know) the bose sound system was the worst thing I've ever spent money on. So come late April of this year, I traded in the coupe for the sedan.

I got a great deal on the sedan, but got it from behind on the coupe trade (not too badly) - but this is expected. I did this to get out of the transmission, quite frankly.

Now, a month and a half and 1000 miles later this. Hopefully, someone at MBUSA will have pity on me!

Peet
Old 06-17-2003, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My opinion:
While its too bad the AC compressor failed and its 4 weeks for a replacement, I don't think MB should lemon the car OR buy it back. Parts fail. Some at 1000 miles, some at 100,000 miles. MB doesn't design or make the compressor. All they can do is replace it and hope the next one is better. I'm sure you are frustrated, but like any major purchase, these are the risks...
Old 06-17-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by avlis
My opinion:
While its too bad the AC compressor failed and its 4 weeks for a replacement, I don't think MB should lemon the car OR buy it back. Parts fail. Some at 1000 miles, some at 100,000 miles. MB doesn't design or make the compressor. All they can do is replace it and hope the next one is better. I'm sure you are frustrated, but like any major purchase, these are the risks...
To have a BRAND NEW car sidelined for a MONTH because they can't find a replacement part, and the car only has a thousand miles on it? How is this acceptable? If this were the UK he could reject the car and get a new one, no questions asked! If they had a compressor around it wouldn't be an issue. It's not so much that it failed, it's that it failed and It'll be FOUR WEEKS (which likely means six to eight). So how much would be too much for you? Three months? Four? A failure this early on is clearly NOT abuse on the driver's part and is covered under the warranty. If they cannot fix the car in a timely manner, they need to replace it. I wouldn't accept a month's repair time on a brand new VCR, much less a car. Note that they don't necessarily NEED to replace the car, they just need to get it fixed. If that involves pulling a part off the production line and fedexing it over, so be it. if that involves pulling one off a car on the lot, so be it. It's their option.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If they have anymore C230K Sedans then they have plenty of AC compressors around. Have them take one off a new car and they can sit on that for four weeks and see how they like it. I personally do not like making car payments when I am not driving the car. Good luck and push for them to rob parts off another car. My father used to do it all the time when the parts where delayed. He would just park the vehicle inside so no one would sell the thing with it missing parts.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I agree with avlis. Although I think you could get some sympathy from MB, I don't think it warrants them buying the car back, and I doubt it qualifies legally for a lemon lawsuit. Talk them into giving you a nice new loaner for a month. Perhaps a new E class. I wouldn't mind "test" driving one of these for a month!

As for the part, I would rather wait for a brand new part, then to have one taken off another car.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
The part coming off a car is brand new. These cars have 5 miles on the odo. So I'm ok with them ripping one of those off. Besides, who's to say that getting a new part from inventory is getting a real and actual new part? It could be reconditioned. To factory spec of course, but reconditioned none the less.

I am not pushing for a lemon, that would be ridiculous. But right now I was asked to wait until late tomorrow to find out what the part situation truly is. Being a nice and patient customer I said sure.

Tomorrow, the hell-factor goes up a notch. And so on.

If I finally discover that they a) can't get me a compressor within a week or b) won't rip one out of existing inventory, I'm going for the mb corporate jugular. (nicely but firmly, of course).

I can see it now... "my KIDS were in the car, I was in a BAD neighborhood with a dead engine, this IS a mercedes, the first car SUCKED, now THIS..." and so on I really am not a *****. THe dealership took about 5 months to repair a wheel - long story - finally 6 months later they bought me a new one. Did I complain? (was: Did I _____ word for female dog; edited) no. I wrote the GM a letter telling them how nice their service advisor was.

Oh well. Stay tuned for more on this soap opera!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Besides, who's to say that getting a new part from inventory is getting a real and actual new part? It could be reconditioned. To factory spec of course, but reconditioned none the less.
Technically your right, you never really know, but it is illegal to do so, so I doubt they will risk it.

Erik
Old 06-17-2003, 11:30 PM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
I would demand they make the car payment, incl. ins. fees for a NEW car you aren't driving...and a current model loaner.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by CHATMANR
I would demand they make the car payment, incl. ins. fees for a NEW car you aren't driving...and a current model loaner.
It's best to follow a rational appoach like the one Peet described...asking for car payments is a sure way to start things going the wrong way, IMO. Besides, the car is not totally disabled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: something blew up under the hood - maybe a/c maybe scharger (long)