C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Antenna problem. Need windscreen replaced???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Antenna problem. Need windscreen replaced???

So I got my car back from Service today. I asked Mercedes Benz about my antenna problem. Its a minor issue. When the rear-window-de-mister is on, the FM stereo crackles.

The repair according to Mercedes.... replace the windscreen with the antenna. Sounds a bit overboard to me. An it only happens on FM band. No window tint on my car by-the-way.

The report says; 'Have carried out a burn in test to see if fault clears and hasn't. Needs a new windscreen as the antenna is the rear window is defective. $2200 fitted'. I also paid $76 for that test.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Long before replacing the rear screen.

There is a sticky connector pad at the top dead center of the screen under the roof lining. Give it a good shove to make sure it is making proper connection. Comes loose in the sun. Also check the antenna amplifier connections & earth under the LHS rear C pillar cover.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

There is a sticky connector pad at the top dead center of the screen under the roof lining. Give it a good shove to make sure it is making proper connection. Comes loose in the sun. Also check the antenna amplifier connections & earth under the LHS rear C pillar cover.

Why doesnt Mercedes do this? They charged me over $75 just to tell me the window needs replacing.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
That's a good question that I can't answer. The trouble with many dealers is that they are just parts replacers. That can't diagnose Diddely Squat!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
That's a good question that I can't answer. The trouble with many dealers is that they are just parts replacers. That can't diagnose Diddely Squat!
Exactly. They only go by the computer. Hence a few forum members including me got told the fish story that the AUX cable isn't compatible when the cars built with the adaptor plug.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose
Why doesnt Mercedes do this? They charged me over $75 just to tell me the window needs replacing.
They have to cover the cost of the shop, paying the tech to see whats wrong, and the wash and vacuum that they do on every car in service, and the lights and the lift and so on and so forth.

Also not all dealers are going to do anything but replace parts, if the pads connected to the windscreen are bad, then It makes sense to me that a new wind screen with pad is needed, since it comes as one unit and not 2 single parts then I can see why they want to replace it.

Dealers aren't the place to go for cheap fixes, nor have I seen one, do a :cheap fix: re mounting or glueing the pad may not be a permanent fix either, if thats even whats wrong. Just saying
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Nick, our resident dealership apologist: $75 is a stupid figure for "replace windshield". The chances that they even LOOKED at the car? Slim. The techs at my last dealership appt put my car down as being a white 2007 C230.. but told me they inspected it.. Not sure how they missed the big details like the silver paint and four-cylinder engine.

As Glyn said, dealerships don't know how to diagnose or "fix" anything. They replace repairable parts at HUGE expense which is why they should be avoided like the plague.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
What kind of adhesive?

My antenna (plastic piece)on the driver side above the headliner is not attached very well to the glass. If I press it onto the glass my keyless works. What kind of adhesive is safe to use? Thanks

Last edited by boomersoonerou8; 04-24-2020 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Wrong name