C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Hey, I really need your help guys -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2012 | 10:59 AM

c240
Unhappy Hey, I really need your help guys -

Hey guys,

So I really need your opinions on what I should do with my car.

Here's the problems I'm dealing with.

I have a 2002 c240. I bought it a year a go. It has 70,000 miles.

So, everything was going fine, until some electrical issues. Basically it started like this. My CD changer stopped working (it says there is no changer even though there is). Next, my radio stopped working (basically, I only get static. No matter where I am, all I get is static.....) and now my whole radio won't turn on. Next, sometimes I get an alert that my hood is open. Sometimes my sun-roof gets 'stuck' (won't open or close for a few minutes).

Basically, I love this car, but I know how expensive they can be if it's an electrical problem. I'm worried that these random electrical issues are the start of a huge problem and I should get rid of the car before these small issues turn into a huge issue.

If you were in my shoes, would you go ahead and spend $ to fix / replace the radio (hoping that the rest of the electrical isn't compromised) or would you simply get rid of the car before a major problem happens with it.

Thanks guys, any insight into why these issues are happening would be great!
Old 07-16-2012 | 11:14 AM

2013 ML350
You should have your battery checked out. A soon to die battery can cause/start to exhibit all kinds of weird "electrical gremlins" like you note.

Could also be your SAM...Do a search on that, if the battery guess doesn't lead you anywhere.

Good luck, Greg
Old 07-16-2012 | 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
In general, I'd dump a 240, because I don't feel that the whimpy engine is worth the trouble.

However, you're being very premature here, imho (esp with 70k on the clock for a 2002). The CD changer thing was just discussed last week; search for that thread, several simple fixes you could try.

The stereo should be checked out before you dump it. I know that my stereo goes out maybe once every 2-3 months for no apparent reason. I remove the big fuse in the middle of the fusebox on the left side of the dash for 10 secs, put it back in, and it works again until the next time. No reason to think you'd have to replace it unless you really want a good stereo until you know why it's on the fritz.

Hood issue should probably be checked out - either it's misaligned or the sensor's bad. Doesn't sound like a huge problem.

Sunroofs always have problems, so that's not unique to MBs.

It's a now 11 year old car. Sh*t happens; I don't think that any of your issues is worthy of dumping the car, unless you really want another car to begin with.
Old 07-16-2012 | 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I happen to love the C240 engine. One of the sweetest toughest units Benz has ever made. Good for 1 million Km's

Listen to Greg re old battery. Often the cause of trouble. Check the front SAM for dirt, moisture & corrosion. Check all fuses. The Audio 10 head unit that you likely have has a fuse on the back of it.

It sounds as though you might have a bad connection somewhere on the d2b fibreoptic ring. See Wiki for details of d2b or MOST rings.

Radio reception problems can be caused by fitting a metallic tint as the antenna is in the rear window. Water in the antenna amplifier in the LHS rear C pillar can blow it. There is also a sticky pad under the rear roof lining dead center that comes unstuck & you loose your antenna connection. Give it a shove once you have the HU operational. Lots of threads on DIY antenna/reception problems.
Old 07-16-2012 | 01:22 PM

c240
Originally Posted by tommy
In general, I'd dump a 240, because I don't feel that the whimpy engine is worth the trouble.

However, you're being very premature here, imho (esp with 70k on the clock for a 2002). The CD changer thing was just discussed last week; search for that thread, several simple fixes you could try.

The stereo should be checked out before you dump it. I know that my stereo goes out maybe once every 2-3 months for no apparent reason. I remove the big fuse in the middle of the fusebox on the left side of the dash for 10 secs, put it back in, and it works again until the next time. No reason to think you'd have to replace it unless you really want a good stereo until you know why it's on the fritz.

Hood issue should probably be checked out - either it's misaligned or the sensor's bad. Doesn't sound like a huge problem.

Sunroofs always have problems, so that's not unique to MBs.

It's a now 11 year old car. Sh*t happens; I don't think that any of your issues is worthy of dumping the car, unless you really want another car to begin with.
Awesome info, Do you happen to have a link to the CD changer problem thread? I couldn't find it.
Old 07-16-2012 | 01:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

CD changer thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...azine-fix.html

I cheated, and looked for "CD changer" threads on which I had posted something.

Glyn, if the qualifications of a "good engine" are durability alone, the Toyota Tercel had one of the best engines on the planet.
Old 07-16-2012 | 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

The Tercel engine is a good engine if a little crude much like your M111.

The OP & Greg have C240's & you choose to be critical of them. Why would you do that. The European motoring Journalists considered the C240 the best of the bunch as I've posted many times.

Your hangup about the 2.6 makes no sense. It's refinement is legendary.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2012 | 04:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Your hangup about the 2.6 makes no sense. Its refinement is legendary.
Sure it does. Small hp, little to no aftermarket support for upgrades. That's enough for me, not sure why failing those simple criteria would not make sense.

No offense to the OP or anyone who has them. I appreciate that different people have different needs, but it would not be a combination I'd pick.
Old 07-16-2012 | 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Normal people find the C240 just fine in all respects. Remember that most markets have the C200 & C180 below it power wise.
Old 07-16-2012 | 09:52 PM

2002 C240, 2006 ML350, 2011 X3
For me... my cd changer doesnt power on and the cigarette lighter also has no power (I know because my GPS won't be able to charge)...and the culprit is due to a fuse.. same fuse twice in 3 years! simple swap and its all good :P
Old 07-17-2012 | 01:50 AM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Normal people find the C240 just fine in all respects. Remember that most markets have the C200 & C180 below it power wise.
Well said Glyn. The 2.6 is a great engine. It's realiable as they come and smooth and quiet. It's not setting any speed records but it's a great engine for a daily grocery-getter.

Tommy, don't you have to go check for an oil soaked coil pack or blown head gasket or something? Just kiddin ya , buddy.

Greg