C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

04 C230WZ in Seattle/Eastside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230WZ
Question 04 C230WZ in Seattle/Eastside

Hello folks

I just moved into the Seattle area and will probably be settling in the East side (Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland area). I just bought a new 04 C230WZ and was hoping to have a little fun with it, but there appears to be enforcement of 60mph limits everywhere. I'm not interested in racing, driving aggressively or anything insane - just want to kick up the speed a little on a fairly open road. Can anyone recommend any safe havens where I can have a little fun?

BTW - for those who are asking on the forum - I got my car about 2K under the MSRP (wound up being a few hundred off the stated invoice price). Silver on black, C2 (I think this is called the Sunroof package now?), CD changer, automatic

thx
Old 08-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

There are great mountain roads up by the olympic range, or you can take a weekend trip and go to western washington, nice flat open roads, light traffic. I go up to washington, my home state, a couple of times a year, and i have never seen a state with so many cops. I suggest getting a lazer detector or jammer. Have fun
Old 08-04-2003, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
I-90

Consider I-90 from Snoqualmie Pass through Moses Lake and points east, approaching Spokane.

I used that highway quite a bit when I was driving a Renault 5 (Le Car) and I'd usually be running at 150 km/h (93 MPH) all the way, with no cops. This was in the early 1990s. There are some nice tailwinds to be had there as well, if you're heading east. I also drove my 405 there in the later 1990s and hit over 200 km/h (125 MPH) a couple of times on the flats.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:46 PM

Welcome!

Sheridan,

Welcome to the boards! I am located in Bothell which is 3 or 4 exits north on I-405 from the Kirkland/Bellevue area.

I'll tell you right now that you DO NOT want to go even a mile over 60mph on 405. There is an abundance of speed traps and even more of the pesky Highway patrol who take pride in pulling over anything with a star on the hood. If you want to open her up a little I would recomend either a) taking a ferry across the sound over to the Olympic Peninsula, or b) the opposite direction over the Cascades.

If you go over to the Peninsula I'd recomend the Port Angeles area. Right outside of the city there is a nice and twisty road up to this area called Hurricane Ridge that is popular with the locals. Great drive/view.

If you go over the Cascades pretty much all the highway on the other side is great. From forested hills to open plains it is an amazing drive and there are few HP if any during the day.

Regards,
Matthew
Old 08-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

l
Washington = speed trap. I hate this place. I'm seeing more cops every month. I recommend not speeding at all unless you don't care about tickets :P The best I can do is tail someone who is speeding but usually you want go faster than that. I got a ticket for speeding at an off ramp exit Grr...
Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 PM

I got a ticket for speeding at an off ramp exit
I got a ticket for the same thing coming off of the downtown kirkland exit. I also got one about 3 months ago down by the water for not having my seatbelt on!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:27 AM

2004 C230WZ
Hey folks

Thanks for all of your responses. It looks like I won't be able to have much fun without setting aside some serious time for it. It looks like I will be commuting from Kirkland to Redmond.

I heard that the Infiniti folks in Kirkland take people for test drives in a fairly safe haven - anyone know where that may be?

later!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
i can show you where after i put my car back together this week, it's taking a rest waiting for couple parts
Old 08-05-2003, 12:08 PM

C320 Sports Coupe 2003
I have never been ticketed, maybe I've been just lucky.
Here's a site a friend of mine showed me, looks like a great info there. Check it out!

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/ste.asp?state=WA

They trap not only on freeways, but also on... everywhere!
He's recommending to get a radar. Perhaps I should get one.

Anyway, hoping this info helps. Good day.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:19 PM

2004 C230WZ
svc centers?

Hey folks

One thing I forgot to ask was if you had any places to suggest to go to or avoid when I take my car in for servicing. I brought my car up from out of state (not oregon), but I'm hoping I can still find a place that will loan me a car during service and do a decent job.

Thx again guys!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:50 PM

One thing I forgot to ask was if you had any places to suggest to go to or avoid when I take my car in for servicing. I brought my car up from out of state (not oregon), but I'm hoping I can still find a place that will loan me a car during service and do a decent job.
The only two authorized dealers in this area are Barrier in Bellevue and Smart in Seattle.

Barrier has an exceptional sales staff, all very kind and good at what they do. As for their service center.....I'd rather take my car to Kirkland Ford! They are very unprofessional and I have heard this from various other owners that take their cars there. Smart in Seattle is supposed to be the opposite with a fabulous service center but a below par sales staff. However, for me its a matter of convienince. And though I hate to say it, I'd rather take the time/stress dealing with the nuckleheads in Bellevue rather than take my car all the way downtown (traffic, yuck!).

Hope this helps,
Matthew
Old 08-05-2003, 09:01 PM

2004 C230WZ
DaBeze - I am assuming that both of them will give you decent loaners if the car needs to be in for a good chunk of the day/week?

thx!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM

DaBeze - I am assuming that both of them will give you decent loaners if the car needs to be in for a good chunk of the day/week?
Sheridan -

NO! Barrier in Belleuve contracts with Enterprise Car rentals and gives you very very very very very cheap ford focus's, chevy malibu's, and if your lucky maybe a Ford Exploder. Perhaps if you were having servicing done to your 2003 CL55 AMG then they might "pull some strings" and get you a cheap ML loaner but I have never seen them give out MB loaners.

As for Smart I'm not too sure. I've driven by them but never actually taken my car in for service there.

Regards,
Matthew
Old 08-05-2003, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I have taken my car to Barrier for service(didn't buy it there) and have outstanding service. Never a problem and they have taken care of every problem without any grief. Always get a C230/240 loaner (free) from Enterprise.

Not sure why the different experience. My service advisor is Tom Eldridge. If you make an appointment ask for him and maybe that will be the difference. I sent my niece in with a 2000 C awhile back and she got outstanding service from Tom also.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:39 AM

2006 R350 Pewter/Black - 2007 GL450 Iridium Silver/Ash
I agree I recently moved to the Eastside and my experience at Barrier has been great and they have given me an MB loaner from enterprise also. In regards to tickets everyone is right this is a bad state to speed, got a ticket within 45 days of moving here. Of course I got it on I-405!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 AM

C320 Sports Coupe 2003
Mecl. where was it on I-405?

Recenly I had my car serviced at Barrier; loaner car was Hearts' Toyota Camry, not from Enterprise. Maybe they've changed the contracts?
Driving this loaner car let me recognize the excellence of the car I drive daily, BTW

Sheridan, when I test-drove Infiniti G35, Kirkland folks just gave me a key and I just drove alone (well actually with my friend). No idea about safe haven, sorry
Old 08-06-2003, 02:39 PM

Not sure why the different experience. My service advisor is Tom Eldridge. If you make an appointment ask for him and maybe that will be the difference.
Etenn, thanks for the name. No I've never gone through him but my Service B is coming up and I'll ask for him.

Recenly I had my car serviced at Barrier; loaner car was Hearts' Toyota Camry, not from Enterprise. Maybe they've changed the contracts?
That was my experience as well. Perhaps its because Etenn drives a 03' E500 and we only drive C's
Old 08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C230 Sports Sedan
I had Tom Eldridge, he is cool but the service up at Barrier sucks, loaner cars suck. I would rather go to Phil Smart but I bought my car in Bellevue!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 PM