C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Front driver side door won't lock or unlock after reinstalling door panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Front driver side door won't lock or unlock after reinstalling door panel

Like the title says, the door won't lock or unlock after reinstalling my door panel, was working fine before. I took the door panel off because every time I would close the door, it would sound like there was something loose inside. Turned out to be a broken rivet on the window regulator causing it to shake against the the door every time it closed. Anyway, I put everything back together, close the door and lock the car and notice all the doors lock except the one I was working on. It won't even let me lock it by hand because the door pin wont go down. Also tried locking by putting the key in manually and it still wont move. I took everything apart again to see what could be the problem and noticed when I put the latch down by hand, the latch that grabs hold to lock onto the car, that I could move the door pin freely but when the latch is up, I can't because the latch is blocking the plastic piece that's connected to the door pin from moving up or down. Here are some pics to help explain what I'm seeing.

Latch up.

Latch down in lock position

Does anyone know if something popped out of place that could be causing this? Or could someone take pics of how this looks on their car so I can see if anything looks different? I looked on the passenger side to see if there is any difference, and on that side, you can't even see the plastic that moves up or down with the door pin. Not sure if the driver side should be different since it has the key hole. Anyway, any help or advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
Did you try to close the door and put the key back into the ignition? If not, give it a try.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM

C320
Yeah, unfortunately the door still doesn't lock nor does the door pin want to move up or down. Only when I pull the latch down by hand I'm able to push the door pin up and down by hand. Even then, when I try to use the remote key to test the lock and unlock, the door pin would only work in the unlock mode and would not lock or move when I try to lock with the remote key. This is all with the door open and latch down. I have to put the latch back up in order to close the door shut and when I do that the pin goes back to not moving at all.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM

C320
Bumping this for any other suggestions.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Just to be sure you did screw in that last plastic cover and do try to lock it with the door closed? For some reason I remember having an issue like yours and can't remember which fixed it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM

C320
Yea, I did. Everything was put back together and I closed the door and locked with key remote and the door pin wouldn't move. You can hear and see the door pin shake a little as if it's trying to lock but it wont. Same thing happens when I try to lock from inside the car. Pin just doesn't want to move.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM

C320
Bumping this. Still haven't figured out how to fix this.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Have you tried removing the panel again and examining inside? Maybe something got in between stuff?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:41 PM

C320
Yea, 3 times already. Took the passenger side off too just to compare both. Did everything the same and that side works fine. Not sure what went wrong with the driver side.

Debating of just taking the whole door lock actuator out to see what gives.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Yeah I feel that you may have to just take the lock out and inspect if you have already checked everything you touched a few times.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
have you tried working the lock knob while you hold the outside door handle in the up/open position?

Probably a long shot, but on our Honda Accord you cannot push the lock knob down while the door is open unless you pull up the outside door handle. The last time I worked on the drivers door on the Honda, the lock knob also got jammed and wouldn't move anymore. Fidgeting with it and eventually trying to lock it with the door open by pulling up on the outside handle, seemed to unjam whatever was jammed.

I know -- not a very scientific resolution, but worth a try in case you have a similar issue.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM

C320
Pretty sure I've tried that but next time I'm by the car I'll do it.

I took the plastic piece off that attaches to the side on the inner door to mess with the latch again today. I didn't do anything that I haven't done already but when I put the plastic piece back this time and tried to lock with the remote key, the door pin would move rapidly up and down on it's own this time but stay unlock. So I keep pressing the lock and unlock button thinking maybe it would reset itself somehow but it doesn't, it just keeps moving rapidly then stops in unlock while the other doors are locked. I then press lock again when the other doors are already locked and it moves rapidly up and down again BUT this time it locked.

I have to double lock for it to lock if that makes sense. So I press lock, the driver door pin moves rapidly up and down for a second and stays unlocked while the other doors lock. Press lock again, driver door moves rapidly but locks. Not sure if that is a step forward to fixing this or if the door lock actuator just went bad. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 AM

2005 c230SS
I think these door locks are all operated via CAN-bus ... there must be a normalization procedure you can try.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM

C320
Well, I finally got the lock to work. I was messing with the pin today, putting presser on it with my hand while it would go up and down rapidly and noticed when I did that, it would lock it one shot but only with slight pressure on the pin. I kept doing it for a few times then locking and unlocking with the remote with out my hand, letting it still move up and down rapidly and then I just locked and unlocked on it's own after pressing the button a few times. Not sure if it reset or what, but it worked. Hopefully it stays like that. Thanks for everyone who chimed in.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 PM

C320
Yeahh...scratch that. The pin started going rapidly up and down again when I tried to lock, just not as often now. I think I might just replace the damn thing as it's becoming very annoying and I can't seem to find a fix.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
search for POGO locks that sounds like what yours is doing and is common issue.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 PM

C320
Did the search, thanks. Looks like I have to change it after all.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:20 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Hmm, so could the pogo issue be caused by taking the door panel off or is it just a coincidence?
Man, now I'm scared to replace the broken interior door handle O_o
Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 AM

2005 c230SS
Maybe related --

Whenever I remove the driver's door panel, the driver's door won't lock by itself until I replace the panel and start the car. While I'm working on the car, if I needed to lock it up for the night I would have to lock that door from the inside with the door already closed.

None of the other doors do this -- only the driver's door. I assume this is a safety mechanism that was intentionally designed into the car.

I have removed the door panels quite a few times now and have noticed this at least a few times.