C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

06 c230 sport unever oem rear ride height

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
06 c230 sport unever oem rear ride height

Hi guys,

I have an 06 c230 sport. My rear ride height is different driver vs passenger side. Passenger ride height has about a 1 finger gap above the wheel, the driver easily 2.

Is there any way to check what number pads are on my car visually? Or can i measure their thickness to confirm anyway without removing them from the car?

I have 88k on the car. I want to get springs, im considering springs and shocks however i want to make sure this isn't a bigger problem than maybe mis matched pads etc.

Tires are same size, even wear and air pressure.

Thanks for any ideas.

James
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 AM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
My BMW friends have the same problem. Apparently it was designed that way to compensate for the weight of a driver. So that when you sit in, it will be level.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Hmm, I'm gonna check mine in the evening.

Are you sure it's not a broken spring?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
the pad number can only be read by removing the spring. it could be that the pad is not seated correctly on the spring too.

I am swapping my HR spring for Eibach ones and I can tell you that the ride height with HR spring is dead even in the back.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by VVF
Hmm, I'm gonna check mine in the evening.

Are you sure it's not a broken spring?

Definitely not I've looked under there plenty of times nothing's broken and she still handles great!

Originally Posted by hcoronado
the pad number can only be read by removing the spring. it could be that the pad is not seated correctly on the spring too.

I am swapping my HR spring for Eibach ones and I can tell you that the ride height with HR spring is dead even in the back.

Do you have any pictures of the H&R Springs on your car? Why are you switching to Eibachs?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM

2006 C230 Sport
here are some pics... its not a small difference im talking about here as you'll see....

Passenger Side

Driver Side

This is the with nothing in it sitting on a level left to right surface.... literally a 1 figer gap passenger, 2.75 finger gap on driver.
As I mentioned im looking into lowering my car, but I basically want what it looks like on the passenger side all around and im worried if I get springs the passenger side will basically be dumped.

Last edited by 05c230rpf1; 04-01-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matic
with H&R springs.

with Tein Springs

with stock suspension

wow! that is a lot of difference in height from one side to the other.

Listen, I know I am going to get a handful of comments after giving my opinion here but it is what it is. My Mechanic guy races over at Sonoma Raceway formerly Sears Point here in northern California. I asked if he could swap my springs for coil-over units and his replied was that giving the conditions of local roads and the amount of time I spend on traffic it was not worth the extra. (not to mention the maintenance coil-overs required) He did advised that I get the eibach springs because they provide the best performance for the buck.

I have tested Tein springs and found that after some time they got soft. Then I got the H&R and cut half of coil up front (this was done for a lowered profile look up front) and found the H&R were too stiff. ( I know that by cutting the springs we changed the spring rate so no need to remind me of that)

As I'm typing right now - we are testing the Eibach springs by cutting half a coil and see where it gets us. My understanding is that the with Eibach springs I will be able to cut a little more if needed and they will give me the better performance and low profile look that I am looking for.

I don't go to the track, so I really don't need to tweak the suspension every other day. I know I am contradicting myself here with what I just said but in all honesty all I want is to set it and forget it. (until its time to swap struts) I am currently running Koni adjustables and the problem has always being the springs. Again my mechanic guy races cars and he has done a lot of testing so I am confident that the Eibach springs are going to be the last set of springs I will be buying.

I come from a low rider family and I have plenty of experience with hydraulics and air suspension. I have participated in hundreds of car shows but the Benz is another type of beast.

Last edited by hcoronado; 04-01-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Originally Posted by hcoronado
with H&R springs. with Tein Springs with stock suspension wow! that is a lot of difference in height from one side to the other. Listen, I know I am going to get a handful of comments after giving my opinion here but it is what it is. My Mechanic guy races over at Sonoma Raceway formerly Sears Point here in northern California. I asked if he could swap my springs for coil-over units and his replied was that giving the conditions of local roads and the amount of time I spend on traffic it was not worth the extra. (not to mention the maintenance coil-overs required) He did advised that I get the eibach springs because they provide the best performance for the buck. I have tested Tein springs and found that after some time they got soft. Then I got the H&R and cut half of coil up front (this was done for a lowered profile look up front) and found the H&R were too stiff. ( I know that by cutting the springs we changed the spring rate so no need to remind me of that) As I'm typing right now - we are testing the Eibach springs by cutting half a coil and see where it gets us. My understanding is that the with Eibach springs I will be able to cut a little more if needed and they will give me the better performance and low profile look that I am looking for. I don't go to the track, so I really don't need to tweak the suspension every other day. I know I am contradicting myself here with what I just said but in all honesty all I want is to set it and forget it. (until its time to swap struts) I am currently running Koni adjustables and the problem has always being the springs. Again my mechanic guy races cars and he has done a lot of testing so I am confident that the Eibach springs are going to be the last set of springs I will be buying. I come from a low rider family and I have plenty of experience with hydraulics and air suspension. I have participated in hundreds of car shows but the Benz is another type of beast.
I'm gonna assume this is your ride. But damn how'd you get the front more flush on the H&R? I still have a ****load of gap in front. Then again mine is an 01 with retard rake.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2000 C280 Sport, 2010 GLK350 4Matic
I thought I was the only one. I have a C55 and my rear passenger side sits lower than the driver's side. I guess I should take a closer look at other W203 SS next time I see one.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM

2006 C230 Sport
I just got new tires yesterday and after having the car in the air off the suspension, it's sitting level now. I looked underneath while it was up, nothing was misaligned or anything. Alignment was 100% within spec, no broker springs, tires were worn evenly, but now I sit level..... perplexing!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
I recently changed my springs and have the same effect