C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

Old 04-10-2002, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' BMW M3 E90
Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

I tried it today and no luck. Even with the ESP off the car won't do a burn out. I tried dropping the cluth at 3000 to 4000 rpm and still no luck. The tire's just chirp and that's it. Why is it that even with the ESP turned of the warning light still flashes on me when trying to brake the rears loose. This is not going to be Fun at the track. Because i like to do a burn out and get those tires sticky for the track. But now how do i do that.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:47 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
you have to put the car is test/dyno mode IIRC (don't know how either)... its the same with a lot of new BMWs and audis and porsches... for some reason BMW left mine alone and all I have to do is hit DSC and put my foot down to induce a smoky burnout.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

Originally posted by Iceman's C230
I tried it today and no luck. Even with the ESP off the car won't do a burn out. I tried dropping the cluth at 3000 to 4000 rpm and still no luck. The tire's just chirp and that's it. Why is it that even with the ESP turned of the warning light still flashes on me when trying to brake the rears loose. This is not going to be Fun at the track. Because i like to do a burn out and get those tires sticky for the track. But now how do i do that.
Your car won't do a burnout because it doesn't have enough power to do a burnout, nor was it meant to be a drag-racer. Interesting enough, a C240 automatic will do quite a nice brake-stand burnout on blacktop. A 2003 SL500 will not even chirp the tires on a brake-stand, because of the Sensotronic brake system.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Re: Re: Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

Originally posted by mbtech208
Your car won't do a burnout because it doesn't have enough power to do a burnout, nor was it meant to be a drag-racer. Interesting enough, a C240 automatic will do quite a nice brake-stand burnout on blacktop. A 2003 SL500 will not even chirp the tires on a brake-stand, because of the Sensotronic brake system.
I don't know where you got the idea that the C230 has not enough power to do a burn out?? I can do a burn out with my Focus ZX3.. In it has only 130HP..
Old 04-10-2002, 10:10 PM

w203 c230K 2002
I don't know what you are doing? The Coupe can easly break the tires lose, bone stock. With mods 1 and 2 easly.
Randy
Old 04-10-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Burnouts

Your car won't do a burnout because it doesn't have enough power to do a burnout, nor was it meant to be a drag-racer. Interesting enough, a C240 automatic will do quite a nice brake-stand burnout on blacktop.
So, let me get this straight...

A 192 HP C 230 K won't do a burnout because it doesn't have enough power and is not a drag racer...

BUT

A 168 HP C 240 automatic will do a burnout...

...presumably because the C 240 IS a drag racer with enough power?

Mmmmm, OK.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iceman's C230
[B]I tried it today and no luck.... The tire's just chirp and that's it. ..... This is not going to be Fun at the track. Because i like to do a burn out and get those tires sticky for the track.

I must be missing something here. I thought the whole idea of a burn out is to get traction. You already have excellent traction! Me thinks you just miss the dramatic effect of smoking tires!!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Burnouts

Originally posted by Mike T.

So, let me get this straight...

A 192 HP C 230 K won't do a burnout because it doesn't have enough power and is not a drag racer...

BUT

A 168 HP C 240 automatic will do a burnout...

...presumably because the C 240 IS a drag racer with enough power?

Mmmmm, OK.
His C230 is a manual-trans car, which is a lot harder to do a burnout in. And no, mamone, the C240 is not a drag racer. A cargo van will do a burnout, that doesn't make it a drag-racer.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
I do miss the burn out's. As some of you might know i had a 96 Supercharged Mustang with high 11 sec ET's in Calgary. So YES.. I do miss the burn outs. I do go to the track alot and i don't care if the c230 is a drag car or not, it is still going to run at the track this summer.

Renncpe, what i did was I turned off the ESP and Rev the RPM to about 3000 then dropped the cluth. Nothing happened. The light for the ESP started blinking at me. So i tryed 4000 rpm, still nothing except a chirp out of the tires. I am new to this Mercedes Benz thing, all i had was mustangs in my life.. So tell me what i am doing wrong here?

Hey Donn, when i launch the car at the track i try to get less spin as possiable, so your right. The more traction the better i don't argue with that. But i still need that burn out before the christas tree.. Makes things look much more proffesional and Fun.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
I made a very loud and noticeable burn out while making a left turn into a shopping center and was stopped by a cop in the shopping center. I told him that I was just trying to quickly get into the shopping center because of on-coming traffic-his response was take it easy. It was loud and noticeable. But I've noticed the car really does not burn out on a straight away as much as when mashing the throttle and quickly making a left or right turn. The ESP was on.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you need one of those pulley kits that people are trying to do a group buy on or some NO2. The best way to do a really good burn out is to get a line lock for the front brakes. Then you can spin the rear tires to they fall off. You have to disable the traction control though.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:53 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Re: Re: Can any one do a burn out on the C230?

I thought brake-stand burnouts were impossible with the W203 auto.. I thought that the engine cuts off as soon as the break is pressed. Isn't it so? (I have never dared to try :p )

Edit: Ooops, I don't know how a simple word like BRAKE is spelled...:o

Last edited by DtS; 04-11-2002 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:12 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I don't own an auto, however I do know that on the coupe triggering the brake light switch cuts fuel.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:57 AM
Almost a Member!

I also did somewhat of a burn out on a right turn. But it just made some noices on the wheels.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:03 AM

dude, you can do some major burn outs in the C230......when Rob test drove mine the first time....he was spinning them in 4th gear....
Old 04-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Ted
Almost a Member!

Current : '91300D Turbo (124) & 89 190D Past: 240D / 300SD / 300D Turbo(123)
burnouts

Take a good look at the pic in the thread above of the C230 with the rear in removed. Keep up the burnout attempts and that will be your car ! What gives you the idea that these cars are street racers ... the F&F movie? At the cost of parts and labor for MB's you would think one would not want to try and tear it up. I think after reading these threads buying a used C230 coupe would be a real gamble. One thing for sure, drive like that and you won't win any high mileage awards from MB ! When that warranty finally expires some of you will be in it deep.

Let's think about this, you spend mega bucks for big wheels and oversize gripy Z rated tires and then wonder why you can't smoke them. The MB service guys will love you and your money !
Old 04-11-2002, 11:49 PM

Re: burnouts

Originally posted by Ted
Take a good look at the pic in the thread above of the C230 with the rear in removed. Keep up the burnout attempts and that will be your car ! What gives you the idea that these cars are street racers ... the F&F movie? At the cost of parts and labor for MB's you would think one would not want to try and tear it up. I think after reading these threads buying a used C230 coupe would be a real gamble. One thing for sure, drive like that and you won't win any high mileage awards from MB ! When that warranty finally expires some of you will be in it deep.

Let's think about this, you spend mega bucks for big wheels and oversize gripy Z rated tires and then wonder why you can't smoke them. The MB service guys will love you and your money !
Jeez Fella!, take it easy. The boys are just trying to have a little fun, it's their coin anyway. Heck benzy230 already smoked one coupe.

Hey benzy I wonder if thats a world record or something. The first person to ever blow the rings on the new C - Coupe series award goes to benzy230.

PS I have a minimum requirement of one daily burnout.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: burnouts

Originally posted by Ted

I love when a car comes in with obvious signs of abuse, because then not only is the warranty void, but I can charge basically any amount of labor I want to fix the problem. Some people think the dealer won't be able to tell, trust me, I can tell when a car has been abused and when something legitimately failed. A lot of C230 owners are young people that moved up from Hondas or other Japanese import "ricers". Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of other people out there are mature C230 owners, but when I see one of these cars come in for service with the typical rice-boy add-ons, it makes me cringe.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:00 AM

'02 C230 K
We have been doing some testing and found that it is pretty easy to burn out in this car.javascript:smilie('')
big grin. It has even happened on accident a few times. My wive unintentionally, laid a nice track just pulling up the incline of our driveway from a stop. She was the first, as I think it was day 2 we had the car.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:01 AM

Disecting the mind of an MB Technician

I love when a car comes in with obvious signs of abuse, because then not only is the warranty void, but I can charge basically any amount of labor I want to fix the problem. Some people think the dealer won't be able to tell, trust me, I can tell when a car has been abused and when something legitimately failed. A lot of C230 owners are young people that moved up from Hondas or other Japanese import "ricers". Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of other people out there are mature C230 owners, but when I see one of these cars come in for service with the typical rice-boy add-ons, it makes me cringe.
In order

1) What are the typical Rice-Boy add-ons?

2) In your vast experience what are three major indicators that the benz in front of you has been abused?

3) How can we the Rice-Collective keep you wise MB Technicians at bay?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Disecting the mind of an MB Technician

Originally posted by WyattEarp
In order

1) What are the typical Rice-Boy add-ons?

2) In your vast experience what are three major indicators that the benz in front of you has been abused?

3) How can we the Rice-Collective keep you wise MB Technicians at bay?
1)Typical rice-boy add-ons on a C230 Coupe:
-AMG emblems
-Blue halogen bulbs and/or clear marker lights
-Coffee-can diameter exhaust tip

2)In the case of this thread, the indicators of abuse would be quite apparent from not only the lack of tread on the rear tires as opposed to the front, but also the clutch lining condition after 4,000 rpm clutch drops, and by looking simply at the mileage remaining until the next service, which is based on how the car is driven. Put one, two, and three together, and many people, including factory reps, would say you have a strong case for owner abuse/neglect. There are other indicators too, for various other component failures.

3)You can't.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:20 AM

Re: Re: Disecting the mind of an MB Technician

1)Typical rice-boy add-ons on a C230 Coupe:
-AMG emblems
-Blue halogen bulbs and/or clear marker lights
-Coffee-can diameter exhaust tip

2)In the case of this thread, the indicators of abuse would be quite apparent from not only the lack of tread on the rear tires as opposed to the front, but also the clutch lining condition after 4,000 rpm clutch drops, and by looking simply at the mileage remaining until the next service, which is based on how the car is driven. Put one, two, and three together, and many people, including factory reps, would say you have a strong case for owner abuse/neglect. There are other indicators too, for various other component failures.

3)You can't.
Keeping the Techs at bay.

1) Always put on your original tires that you never use when going to the dealer.

2) Have second (eyes only dealer) clutch assembly. Replace before visiting dealer.

3) Wait until open source project is complete and we can goof with the parameters which calculate the mileage remaining until service.

4) Wear a thinly veiled smiled as you hand your keys to your service manager.

Just kidding I'm incapable of something like that.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Re: Re: Disecting the mind of an MB Technician

Originally posted by WyattEarp
Keeping the Techs at bay.

1) Always put on your original tires that you never use when going to the dealer.

2) Have second (eyes only dealer) clutch assembly. Replace before visiting dealer.

3) Wait until open source project is complete and we can goof with the parameters which calculate the mileage remaining until service.

4) Wear a thinly veiled smiled as you hand your keys to your service manager.

Just kidding I'm incapable of something like that.
If you're willing to go through all those procedures each time you bring your car in for service, including pulling the transmission out to swap the clutch, then yes, you could always find a way around it. Anything is possible. But how many people go to such extremes?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say it depends on the dealer. I took my car in because Circuit ****ty burned up the factory radio. They decided that they wanted to listen to the stereo while installing speakers on it and blew out a channel on the radio. I told the dealer what happened and he said he'll look at it, replaced the radio and I was on my way. Even got a loaner car while they did it. Why, because he helped a customer out of jam and it didn't cost them anything. MB paid for the radio and not him and the dealer gets labor out of MB. I don't see why a dealer would go out of their way to not honor the warranttee even if he knows it's not MBs fault. It just doesn't make good business sense.

mbtech208, if I do black on black ghost flames on my c-coupe would that bother the mechanics. I don't want them torturing my car while it's in for service! Now I have to worry when I go to the dealer. It's like pissing off your waitress and then she spits in your food. If I were a mechanic I think I would treat cars better that were really clean, inside and out. It's a sign that the owner respects his car.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
OK guy's.. I am not going to get in a Pi$$ing contest with some of you.. I just asked a simple question that why i can't spin the rears loose on this car. I am not a 17 - 18 year old teenager that goes out picks races on does burn outs every where.. I race at the track.. BECAUSE I ENJOY IT..

Also i drive my car's hard. Now if some of you don't agree with that,well thats though $h!t.. But don't tell me if my rear end of the C230 going to look like the pic on this post..

And Ted... Get a life.. It is my money it is my car so don't tell me what to do. I can drop the cluth at 4000 rpm or 5000 rpm.. Just enjoy your ride and don't worry about others..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can any one do a burn out on the C230?