C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Electrical problems, faulty lights, wipermotor, Sam module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C200 W203
Question Electrical problems, faulty lights, wipermotor, Sam module

Hi there!
I'm new to the forum and kind off new to being a Mercedes owner.
My car is a Mercedes C200 Compressor (w203) from 2001.
I done lots of research and tried different solutions but it didn't fix any problems.
I was able to start the car and drive it without further problems, so the major problem is electric since some of the electrical motors are living their own life.

So this are few things that is faulty (as long as i know):

SRS is warning on the dashboard

Right Tail turning light , left and right front turning light is always On all the time blinkers won't change it. (as long as the battery is connected, I can hear the relays click fast and then go to normal speed after a while. Tried to make a new ground for them as this guy recommended [[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjPEkhgRUNQ]

Windscreen wipers are going all the time they do not listen to the control module on the steering wheel since that is off and they go full speed. (Tried to clean the wiper motor, and grease that up. Problem still occur. Tried buy new relays no difference).

There is a power "theif" I used the tool where a light bulb lights up if there is any power loss. So i connected it to the ground on the battery as a link between the carcaps and it did light up.

I changed the alternator since the car is not charging the right amount. It is charging 1-2 volts less than it should. So the generator may be faulty but I have not looked into that yet.

Update
So my new OBDII scanner arrived so i did a scan and got the following codes (Using Pro Torque):
P0562 System voltage low
P0103 O2 sensor circuit
P0500 Vehicle Speed sensor
P0600 Serial Communication Link
PU3FFF Communication
P2026 EVAP Fuel Vapor Sensor circuit low voltage
P2027 EVAP Fuel Vapor Sensor circuit High voltage
P2028 EVAP Fuel Vapor Sensor circuit intermittent
P202B
P2031 Exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit bank 1 Sensor 2
)
So that are the problems I noticed so far and I tried to make my research as I said but couldn't find a single solution to theese problems. So if anyone has any idea where to start please let me know
Any idea is a good idea since I am lost, don't know where to continue.

Last edited by Gabriel Tjader; 01-10-2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: New OBDII Reader
Old 01-10-2021, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Start by replacing front sam
Old 01-10-2021, 01:00 PM

Mercedes C200 W203
Thanks @Russell Ormerod for the fast reply, Okey i will look into that and order one !
Old 01-13-2021, 07:21 AM

Mercedes C200 W203
The Front SAM was the issue it was BBQ deluxe...

So I did just replace the old SAM with a exact similar one (same number), and it fixed most of the problems. The ECU are not complaining anymore so there are no fault codes.
But there is one issue still and that is the Right Tail turning light. Tried swapping bulbs R with L and no difference double checked the light switch and it is on 0. So is it the back SAM as well or can some of the cables to the lights been burned/shorted as well?
It is a lot of moisture in the car since one of my door list was not sealed, I read something about the light switch acting weird on the car when it is moist in the car.

So in summary, SAM replacement fixed error msg, windscreen wipers.
Just a wild thought when i swapped the SAM it did manage to come down little amount of snow from the hood into the fuse box, but it is still -20 outside so it shouldn't become "water", may that be the issue?

Last edited by Gabriel Tjader; 01-13-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 204 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Wow. Any idea why the SAM fried like that?
Old 01-15-2021, 08:08 PM

Mercedes C200 W203
Red face

I do not really know 100% sure but when I bought the car the owner before told me something about twisting the battery => Ground to + and + to ground. So i guess thats why it got toasted like that so it is a complete jungle to make the fail search ;/

but I'm getting somewhere and if u ask me I'm almost done since from where i started xD

What's left is to fix is:
windscreen wiper screw thread is broken so need to make new threads on it
right tail turning light is always on and the system says that reserve lamp is on some weird error I haven't found a solution on yet...
System under voltage so probably need to brush up the coal layers in the generator
Old 01-17-2021, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Reverse polarity for sure.
rear sam probably also damaged
Old 01-17-2021, 06:04 AM

Mercedes C200 W203
Red face

I took out the back SAM last night and i opened the back of it to see if i saw any visible damage. I did not find anything neither any burned electronic smell.
But is it just a software issue then so all it needs is to get programmed and then good to go or is it just to replace it?
I do not doubt you are right Russel, since that front SAM managed to solve 99% of the problems so i guess i just order a replacement so i minimize the waiting time..
Old 01-17-2021, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The blinking for the turn signals I think is controlled by one of the SAMs. Since your car has an unknown and rather sketchy history it may be prudent to change out the rear SAM as well. After all, it is your rear turn signal light that is acting up.

How is it possible for the previous owner to reverse the polarity on the battery? The positive cable is too short to reach the other side.

Just a heads up, for this car one must always disconnect the negative first (negative then positive). Reconnecting is the opposite (positive first, then negative). People have cooked their SAMs by not doing this.

Last edited by slammer111; 08-26-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Rear sams dont burn like the fronts do. Rear sam is not programmable with das. Only way is to remove the mcu. In your case it will be a hardware issue. Try using actuations in das. Blinker control is not done by either sam its a Can message the comes from EIS or MRM module
Old 01-18-2021, 02:06 PM

Mercedes C200 W203
replaced the rear SAM and the results is that the exterior back lights are back to "normal" except the turning light is completely dead now.
They did work on the front of the car before I changed rear SAM, but now they stopped completely. It do not flash on the cluster.
I'm going to replace all the bulbs tomorrow to see if that is the case, I will let you know how it went.

A question, should there be a Relay on rear SAM place F (Terminal 15)
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...g-rear-sam.jpgI

Old 01-19-2021, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Always install the relays and fuses as there were fitted in original sam.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:33 AM

Mercedes C200 W203
I did that Russell just wanted to know if the previous owner had taken it away and didn't replace it or something else weird :3

So the problem stands...
I checked all fuses around the car to see if there were any that were blown, all of them was OK.
Left headlight bulb was broken so going to the store as we speak to buy two new turning light bulbs to see if that was the case (They are working checked with multi meter, and they did light before i changed rear SAM)
The reg-plate lights works as well so all lights are back to normal except Reverse lights and turning lights system
The system did work fine on the front, mirrors and the side, until i switched rear SAM. I tried different relays but didn't notice any difference.

I do not hear any clicking from the relays or see any green arrows on the cluster.

I am lost again, thanks for all the help so far lads
Old 01-19-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Are you sure all the plugs are plugged into the rear sam. Its easy to forget one. Nothing on the rear should prevent the front from working unless its causing a short on the Can bus. Connect Star and have a look for faults any see if the actual values looks normal. Its not impossible you have a faulty used sam
Old 01-19-2021, 06:25 PM

Mercedes C200 W203
I bought new bulbs and replaced the old ones, i double checked all connectors took out the turning light one and put it back in and voila, Car is working except the windscreen wipers are off again (I checked the motor it is working) :3
I checked the fuse 40 amp spot 46 it was OK, switched relay so don't really know what it can be.

A weird thing happened now as well, when the key is at position 2, it tries to start kinda it "cheat start" it do not go all the way just small spins at the start motor or how to explain it.
No problem to start the car if i do it in one motion or so.

Thanks Russell both SAM s were the problem!
Old 08-23-2021, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
Where is the front SAM located? My wipers only seem to work when they want to now. They'll wipe 2 times in a row after countless pressing then not work again for a long time.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chances are the wiper control wire snapped internally, if the only problem you're having is with the washer and wiper function. The dealer probably forgot to grind down the rail for your car just like they did for mine.

W203 turn signal stalk replacement
The following users liked this post:
Scorpion34 (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
Originally Posted by slammer111
Chances are the wiper control wire snapped internally, if the only problem you're having is with the washer and wiper function. The dealer probably forgot to grind down the rail for your car just like they did for mine.

W203 turn signal stalk replacement
But why does it work sometimes?
Old 08-24-2021, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wire is severed but sometimes jiggles back into the correct position, completing the circuit.

Not saying this is 100% the culprit, but it does sound suspiciously similar what I went through. Also because this is a common issue, and is pretty much guaranteed to happen if the dealer replaced the stalk at some point and didn't grind down the rail. The wire chafes against the part of the rail that didn't get removed.

Last edited by slammer111; 08-27-2021 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:12 AM

gla
I want to buy a product , but i do not know which one to choose, there is c3, c4, c5, c6
too many tools, i do not want to spend too much.
anyone can give suggestion for which one to choose?